Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. also isnt the implication in many of the comics is "death" isnt real and its always just been a weird coping mechanism.
No. Death, like a lot of the other Marvel cosmic entities, is an actual thing though she usually doesn't have a real consistent personality. Multiple characters have 'interacted' with Death at various points including one time where Hawkeye made her possibly laugh by tricking the Grandmaster with a dumb sleight of hand trick (which caused him to lose the game he was playing with Death over reviving the Collector and consequently die himself).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

You know, I like his stuff normally but I really don't know if I'm going to watch a loving 3 and a half hour video about Fred.
I'd never heard of Fred before but I watched all three and a half hours of the video and... it's... not great? Like there's never any point that Quinton is trying to make or build through the whole thing; there isn't a 'fall' per se -- Lucas seemed like a guy who made some internet content that people liked and responded to in a specific point in time and when he tried to bring it out to a bigger mainstream audience it didn't exactly stick but he was also a guy who said he really didn't want to be doing the same character and show in his twenties and he didn't so good for him, I guess?

There was a lot of recapping of various Fred shows and appearances and none of that really had any kind of payoff or good jokes or anything beyond 'hey remember this Nick show?' This video makes me extremely nervous for Quinton's eventual iCarly project that he's been working on for so long because if it follows this pattern I can't imagine what the point is going to be.

I've been thinking a lot about Drew Gooden's old bit on 'relatable comedy' ever since I watched whatever the gently caress that Bo Burnham Netflix special was and I suppose hitting this video when I'm in that frame of mind kind of brought out a similar thought about 'just recapping things isn't actually history'.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

watho posted:

the first hour and a half was good background noise while napping on the couch tho
What he seemed to be the most interested in was the way each successive show (and creator) changed the 'lore' and continuity for Fred and that could have been an interesting take on the video but it would have needed him to focus on those changes and highlight what was behind them instead of reading out everything that happened in Season 2, Episode 11 of the Nickelodeon show.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Lotus Aura posted:

I remember a few months back he made a big deal out of the long threatened promised iCarly video being over 4 hours long and basically everyone in this thread was confused by how that's even possible. Seems a safe bet that this is gonna be why.
One of the many baffling parts of the Fred video was that he was always thanking his editors. I can't imagine what those people actually did; you can't convince me that any part of the script was actually edited or questioned by anyone other than Quinton himself. Nobody asked him 'Wait why are you doing it this way?' at any point.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah her! I watched her two and half hour breakdown of The Vampire Diaries, which was very good
Quinton could definitely learn a thing or two about the benefits of an internet friendly numbered list.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I think the (apparently first) iCarly video was a lot better than his 3-1/2 hour Fred video. But it also felt like he was just filming a very extended depressive episode, especially at the end of the video where he admitted that he only posted it so he would have something out before the 17th when the new series releases. I felt a little bit bad for him comparing the ending to the very optimistic beginning where he wanted to use this stupid video to motivate himself to get in shape and do more things and... that obviously didn't happen. But I only felt a little bit bad since, despite the video being better than Fred, it still wasn't a very entertaining or informative watch.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's actually some interesting stuff in the Quinton iCarly video if he'd just cut the hours of just recapping the episodes. Like how he counts all the crimes comitted by the cast or compares them to a kid version of Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
One of the most fascinating parts of the video to me was when he 'found' that DVD teaching you about becoming iCarly. You would think since he is literally trying to be real-life iCarly that he'd have some thoughts about it; how relevant the advice is, whether they left out any huge components to being an online creator, stuff like that. But nope, his big comment was 'ha, she's reading off cue cards' :circlefap:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

edogawa rando posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, but it was night time where I live, so gently caress you all, you need to put up with it.

Anyway, yeah, this poo poo is Film Studies 100 poo poo. Auteur literally means "author," as in "authorship" of the film, and the director's unique vision being applied. If you don't think Lynch has a distinct style, then you're out of your loving gourd, mate.
I'm late to this too because I didn't actually expect anyone here to be talking about this video. I like Maggie Mae Fish and subscribe to her channel but this video was a mess. In particular the conclusion where she was essentially asking why Kubrick didn't fix abusive patriarchal violence in society instead of just noting it and drawing attention to it in, essentially, every single one of his films. And the answer is, pretty simply, because he was a filmmaker -- all he was really in position to do was make commentary on things that he saw and observed through his art; he wasn't going to wave his magic wand and make people stop being awful to each other. I'm not really sure what she was asking for or suggesting in that segment.

Also, as someone who loves Shakespeare's plays, I didn't appreciate the completely random shots fired in that direction either.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

josh04 posted:

lol wait what
I think they were intended as jokes but during the discussion about acting she threw in "It's not like Shakespeare where you could just have all the characters monologue all their feelings directly to the audience" and some random poke at Iago being a very simple and straightforward role during another segment of the vid.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

LanceHunter posted:

Seriously. It's Brook's second-worst movie (only beaten out by the one genuinely bad movie he made, Dracula: Dead and Loving It).
It is definitely not worse than Robin Hood: Men in Tights. The number of jokes that land successfully in that can be counted on one hand with fingers left over.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I made it fully three and half minutes into Maggie Mae Fish's new video about Wes Anderson before I tapped out. I assume there's a youtube engagement algorithm reason that she does the quirky skits and silly costumes but I hate it and I also can't really take watching a 30 minute long video where she repeatedly misnames a character (or in this case family of characters) in a movie that she's discussing where the name is literally in the title.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Brocktoon posted:

I guess you're referring to pronouncing it "Tennenbomb" instead of "Tennenbowm", which is probably an accent thing (I do it, too). Seems like a really weird and petty reason to announce you're going to stop watching a video it sounds like you didn't want to watch in the first place?
She repeatedly called the family "The Royals".

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's incredible how people lumped him in with the misogynist psychos when he said "I don't think I can give it a fair shake because I don't think anything could live up to the original".
Related but having now watched the newest Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer I am completely confused as to why I (or anybody) is supposed to be excited to see this movie. It... doesn't appear to be a comedy? Or at least they didn't put any jokes or humor in the trailer and 'hey let's literally do Stranger Things* again, only as a movie!' isn't exactly lighting my world on fire.

* Small town where nothing ever happens, strange girl who doesn't fit in, stressed out single mom, helpful science teacher guy, Finn Wolfhard

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

Also you know what barely had any obvious jokes in the trailer? The 1984 film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDkhw5Wkas...What?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Where my ROM Spaceknight movie?
Just like with Micronauts, Marvel owns everything about ROM the Spaceknight except for ROM the Spaceknight. So you might see Dire Wratihs someday the same way you vaguely saw references to the Microverse in Ant Man and the Wasp but you won't see the big silver nerd.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

imagine having the entire Marvel universe to make shows from and you're the guy that picks The X-Men's lovely Even More Eugenics Focused Cousins.
Over on Caravan of Garbage, they made the very funny point that in a normal show, y'know for like real people to watch, the super privileged royal family who sends the 'failed' subjects down to work in their mines and are opposed by a member of their family who has no powers and wants to free the underclass would be the mega bad guys.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

DeafNote posted:

*loops back around*
A Wrinkle in Time is a bad movie tho.
I really wanted to like it because I loved the book when I was a kid but then the movie actually happened.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I'm excited for more videos but I'm not sure if Dear Evan Hansen is worth a full on Vampire Diaries deep dive. I'm also kind of worried that the space where anybody is going to care about a Dear Evan Hansen review is going to be long passed by the time she actually gets it out; I think 'new release movie review' vids kind of benefit from her older more casual style where she just talked at the camera for a while.

EDIT: Nobody in Dear Evan Hansen even wears a statement necklace.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Libluini posted:

Ugh, I can't watch or listen to people eat. It makes me feel physically ill.
The Try Guys put out a video yesterday where they attempt to go 4 (5) on 1 against a competitive eater in a five minute hot dog eating challenge and it was literally one of the most horrifying things I've ever made myself watch. I don't understand what the appeal could possibly be to watching that kind of competition.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

I listened to a couple of episodes of Mary Cagle's podcast discussing RWBY with her friend and co-host and it sounded like the most absolute trite crap imaginable, and I can't believe it's gone on for 8 seasons and counting now.
My absolute favorite part of HBomberguy's video was when he realized/revealed that Red vs Blue is still going on and was on season 17 or something at the time he released the RWBY video.

I think the most obvious thing that went wrong with RWBY was just that apparently nobody had any kind of real vision for the show. They just decided to make an anime and no one involved had a story they wanted to tell or characters that they wanted to develop.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, RWBY was "we should make an anime with the cooo fights guy!" as the entire pitch and Rooster Teeth just happens to have enough cash and viewers to keep it from collapsing. If this was an indie Kickstarter project, they would have ran with the remaining money after the second trailer.
That's also confusing. When they had Monty Oum it doesn't make a lot of sense that the whole like central premise of the show was not 'Anime Girls Punching and Kicking Each Other Every Episode'.

Make Team RWBY part of a smaller school and the underdogs. Make most of the other schools evil Hunger Games District 1 type things so you have a constant outlet both for Monty Oum's seeming desire to add new characters with fancy new weapons all the time and a ready made source of 'Bad Anime Girls To Punch and Kick'. Spin whatever other plot out of that setup.

Also, Sakura Taisen figured out in Game 1 and OVA 1 that nobody wants to actually watch Generic Male Protagonist in the show. Put him in the games, sure, so players can control him and date their choice of waifus but in the show shove Blonde Guy With A Sword into the back of every scene and focus on the characters that are going to get people watching and make you merch money.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

The 7th Guest posted:

at this point it's a 7 yo strip of a webcomic. like what next, are we gonna debate sluggy freelance
This point is as smooth as the skin of a shark (a type of lion that lives underwater).

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

Has this been posted? It's a good rear end video if you like seeing rich morons ruin good original building materials of motels to turn them into lovely 'luxury' locations they can charge 400 more dollars for a stay in a small down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGnQVUW9z4M
It's a good video and very on point but I can't help but laugh sadly at the segment towards the end where she is panning past a row of multi million dollar beach homes and lamenting that working people are being driven out of their vacation spots by Vacasa.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Pants Donkey posted:

Babish is taking a month hiatus (there will still be videos), and there already hasn’t been a proper Binging in like a month.

It’s weird how the channel just kept exploding in growth and then suddenly crashed (well, “crashed” in that just a year ago he was averaging 3 million views a video, now around one million). I imagine the twice weekly schedule was not sustainable, and then additional videos with additional people hosting their own videos. He’s just burnt out.
I've been skipping his videos for a while now because the thing that originally attracted me to the channel (Dork making food from movies and tv shows) has largely vanished under the weight of whatever Basics with Babish is supposed to be and introducing everyone to all his staff and food youtube friends who can't support a channel on their own. I feel like he's sort of lost touch with the fun of trying to make things and been too enamored with trying to be 'upscale' for lack of a better word.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

He was always trash. I can't imagine how bad he is now if even the fans are abandoning ship
One of my favorite old Babish episodes was him trying to make some tomato dessert from The West Wing and watching him realize that literally no part of it worked right and probably just sounded good in the script; a perfect metaphor for The West Wing itself.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

tracecomplete posted:

I kind of worry that Adam Ragusea is going down the same rabbit hole. Now he's got a podcast (well, he had a stupid nerd podcast before, but now it's a Food Podcast that's also on his YouTube channel, podcasts aren't on YouTube, don't @ me) and he has branded knives and it isn't even that much more stuff out of him--but it's enough to be exhausting.

Not his fault, the content grind is a real thing and alternate content streams are important for the health of his channel (and thus feeding his family etcetera etcetera), but I just don't want to watch it, and that makes it so YouTube thinks I don't want to watch anything on his channel.
I feel like Adam Ragusea's largely abandoned food journalism videos (like the one about ice and the one on palm oil) are much more interesting content than his cooking. I don't think he's a particularly amazing cook and I usually find things that irritate me about his recipe videos but when he's doing pieces about food and talking to experts and historians and whatever I think his channel is a lot better.

Brian Lagerstom is great and I bought the mandolin that he uses and can very much recommend it.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Mix. posted:

there's a difference between making fun of a bad internet thing because you find it fascinating and enjoy seeing what's at the bottom of internet rabbit holes versus making fun of a bad internet thing because you hate the person/people who made it and want to tear into them directly/have an excuse to harass people, and some of the bad webcomics people fell a little too hard into that latter category in the later years imo
One of my favorite former threads in the tabletop rpg forum went through this exact slide into something awfulness; people started out finding weird and dumb house rules and bizarre world building but slowly and surely changed over into 'look at how awful this author is someone should really email the website where they sell their pdfs and do something'.

I wish people could just enjoy the experience of looking at the strange (and admittedly pretty terrible) things that weird people do online without feeling like it is some kind of call to action. Posting isn't going to do anything for anyone ever.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I get not wanting to support shitbags but if you're approaching the point of "omg I heard John Youtuber's gas station attendant listens to Joe Rogan occasionally" maybe it's time to take a step back.
On her Patreon, Jenny used to have videos featuring some of her friends and other "special guests" but she had to take them all down because the people featured in those subscriber only videos were being doxxed and harrassed offline by internet weirdos. So... neat.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Sydin posted:

Cinema Robbie honestly doesn't deserves long winded posts one way or the other wrt his character. He sucks and should be ignored. That's it, the end. No moral. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

I'd honestly rather talk about Snyder.
Well do I have a series of videos for you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9juReoJxI0

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

It just makes me wanna stick these folks in a room with someone like Jenny Nicholson for an hour and see what they say.

thetoughestbean posted:

They’d probably say “wow she talked about Star Wars a long time”

One of the best things about Jenny Nicholson to me is that, much like the crew at Red Letter Media, she seems to be aware of the fact that other people have opinions and ideas about things but in general does not really care. 'Here's the video I made about the thing I wanted to talk about. See ya next time.'

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Mr.Radar posted:

Ann Reardon is edging into Tasting History's territory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZaL86RDGIU
I really enjoy her family's reactions to the things that she does. I honestly had never considered the idea of pouring gelatin all over something as a method of preservation but it makes sense when you think about it.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

My favorite merchandise thing right now is that a couple of months ago Drew Gooden, Kurtis Conner and I'm sure a couple of other comedy Youtuber people all released little dumb action figure / models of themselves that, I assume, intentionally looked absolutely nothing like them. I thought it was funny even if that wasn't what they were going for.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

And there have always been cynical jackasses like RLM too. Just whinging about every big thing coming out, but never really talking about anything better. Just complaining about movies all the time because they're fat and depressed.
They don't really do that any more. The show where that impression came from 'Half in the Bag' barely exists any more; the last three episodes have been Prey, Black Phone and Evertyhing Everywhere All At Once (all of which they were generally positive about). People online have been whining at them to do episodes on, say, The Batman but they don't seem to have any interest in that probably because there's nothing really that interesting to say about The Batman.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

We tried to watch RWBY after HBomberguy's video just to evaluate it with fresh eyes, I guess and the thing that struck me was that for all the acclaim given to the fight scenes they weren't actually very good. Lots of weightless spinning around in the air and dramatic gesturing but the weird decision to give everybody and everything in the show invisible force fields that sometimes protect them from damage until they don't made the fights seem sort of pointless? Like it doesn't really matter what the characters did if the enemy fought and acted at full capacity right up until their HP hits 0 at which point they dramatically explode or fall apart into shards.

The characters and writing were also really bad and the people that we wanted to actually see the most were the ones who were not part of the main cast and we probably only wanted to see them because they mostly avoided being written terribly by not being around for most of the plot.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Sydin posted:

Flynt Coal.
Kingsley Shacklebolt.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

The complete disinterest in capitalizing on them still being popular is funny but a bit of a shame. Like, they could easily license out some monetized-to-hell Chao phone game now and it'd probably rake in cash, but Sonic Team just hasn't pursued that for whatever reason. Even though Sega reps have said it's constantly their most requested game feature.
My wife was so insanely excited and hyped for Sonic Frontiers until they revealed there's no Chao or Garden and now she doesn't even want to bother playing it. Obviously one sale isn't going to matter to anyone but I have a feeling that she isn't alone.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I AM GRANDO posted:

This is really confirming my sense that millionaires are mad princes who can do whatever crazy thing they want and nobody will stop them. I feel bad for those actors who moved to Utah to serve as toys for a weirdo who wanted his dnd game to feel real, and then fired and abandoned. Sure hope none of them were gay.

I guess a series of failed sci-fi/fantasy businesses is fairly benign for the harm a bourgeoisie can do, but people’s lives depended on this freak and at no point does he seem to understand or care how to make a go-kart track.
He's an "ideas guy"; actually making the idea happen or work once you get the barest skeleton assembled is both beneath and beyond him. Your joke about him wanting to make his D&D game real is very accurate. If you play D&D and ever make the mistake of showing that you can draw a map that doesn't look like garbage you'll have guys like this hanging off of you wanting to tell you about how their campaign world is going to revolutionize gaming forever as soon as they can get a publisher on board and all they need from you is a few sketches and...

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Grondoth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_rjBWmc1iQ

Defunctland has a... surprisingly relevant to the things Hbomb talked about video out.
This might be my favorite Defunctland video ever and that is saying something considering how much I've loved some of his previous work.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

fun hater posted:

please just. do not buy something a youtuber advertised to you as sponsored content. i dont know why you would ever do that
For my sister's birthday, I bought her a box of wines from BrightCellars because she loves wine and I know literally nothing about it. She enjoyed it and apparently has continued to get wine from them. That's my YouTube sponsor story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Bakeneko posted:

I remember that whole obsession with raiding being the thing that drove me away from EQ back in the day. I played casually for a couple of years but eventually there was nothing left to do but go on massive tedious raids that took hours, and even the new expansions would be mostly either raid content or areas that required completion of a certain raid just to access. I guess a lot of people must find that stuff fun but I’m certainly not one of them.
Yeah, I don't think there's any scenario where I'd want to raid again. I am the .0000001% of the population who would be incredibly excited for Cataclysm or Mists Classic; the time where you could fly everywhere and go back into old content and very easily 2-person the whole thing whenever you felt like it if you wanted to grab miscellaneous transmog pieces or roll on weird mounts. I would have fun goofing around through that era of Azeroth with my wife on weekends some of the time.