Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yes Dernald, I'm sure Kayleigh and her husband appreciate that. He was cut by the Rays two months prior to the WS, because he gave up two dongs in four innings, one of which hit the loving roof of some stadium, and has been unemployed since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Alright, so this is lame, but baseball is over for the foreseeable future, and I can't think of any reason not to post this. We're just bullshitting here, right?

I Found this kid on YouTube called THE GOAT MAN. One of his videos is about how Koufax is one of the most overrated pitchers of all time.

quote:

...a lot of people have him in their top-ten starting pitchers of all time. Even maybe their top fifteen, or top twenty. And I'm here to tell that that none of those are true, and a lot of those rankings are based on him being a good person, or the prime, insane seasons he had.

For sure, Koufax's story is basically a tale of two careers. He pitched six seasons before he figured things out. He also pitched off the 20" mound at Dodger Stadium, and in a pitcher-friendly era. But this kid talks about how his career strikeout totals are bolstered by the first half, "bonus seasons" when he wasn't really making an impact, but instead "kind of just racking up stats."

quote:

It's almost like what Albert Pujols is doing today, where he's old and not really that good, but he's just still playing in the league, and getting extra stats. Or getting, like, trying to rack up every last stat he can and reach every milestone he can

quote:

While he was in his prime, he did have a 2.19 ERA, and a 156 adjusted ERA, but that still is only six years...

quote:

You can't just make someone an all-time great based on their six best years, where they won two World Series, and won three Cy Youngs and won a league MVP.

My monocle popped off my eye and I had to go lie down for a spell. This is absolute heresy to me. But I post it here to see how many heathens agree with this boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63vlZTP51qs

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

bewbies posted:

speaking of historical dodgers

I got into Jackie Robinson stuff last night and decided to fire up an old excel model I made years ago for predicting how hockey players would age, adapted it for baseball, and then reversed it, in order to create a career projection for what JR might've done had he come into the majors as a young lad.

It has some flaws: it isn't really tuned for player type, so in JR's case it is probably a bit harsh on both his SB and EBH numbers and maybe a touch favorable on his HRs and BA. It also follows a more traditional career trajectory, which JR certainly didn't have: he wasn't at his best until age 30 for obvious reasons, so there's some wobble there (in other words, why his OPS was higher as a fantasy 27 year old than as an actual 28 year old). I also didn't really check my cells very carefully so I probably made a mistake in there somewhere but the numbers seem plausible.

Anyway I can't actually do WAR but my best guess is he would've ended up just a hair behind Hornsby as best ever 2B for career WAR.

This is pretty cool! I think you're probably pretty close on your WAR guess.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It is time to talk about Pedro Martinez. I'm so glad I don't have to count him among the all-time great pitchers that I never saw, because they were before my time.

I mean, we have the 1999 All-Star-Game:

Unfortunately this video is missing a couple ABs but you get the point:

https://youtu.be/CD_c-oawu68

He was ferocious. He pitched one of the best statistical seasons we've ever seen, then did it again the next year, and this was in the PED era. This guy is about 5'10" and weighed maybe 180 lbs soaking wet, at the time, and was making these monsters look like Bugs Bunny.

How, you ask? Well, his fastball was not the best one of his time, but combined with his delivery his arm speed and arm angle, was more than adequate, and he had great control (and to be fair, also got those Maddux strikes):

https://youtu.be/0aZDn-2Ugwo

But his circle change, thrown with the same motion, completely indistinguishable from the heater, was a heartbreaker. He also had a decent curve:

https://youtu.be/6hq5jfMuSS8

If we were to look for, say... pitchers from the expansion era on, who started 20 games or more, and search by lowest FIP, we would see this:

Wow! OK, what if we search the same period, looking for WHIP, in ascending order? Holy poo poo, he is there too

OK, fine. Dude was good. But hey, what if we look by ERA+ ? Surely he can't be on there, too?!?

YES, holy loving poo poo, not only is he on there too, he's at the top, and appears again just a few spots down!

I know, right?!? But those are just two seasons, idiot, I hear you saying. Well, yes. His two best. During a time when most every lineup had like four or five guys who could do some damage, every single day. But would you accept a five-year stretch, all during the steroid boom?

In the 1999 postseason, he came out of the bullpen with a sore arm and no fastball, and pitched six innings of no-hit, shutout ball.

quote:

I was at about 60 percent. I started out very cautiously, flipping a lot of curveballs and off-speed pitches to the Indians, a team that I knew would chase pitches outside the strike zone. I knew that they also were probably confused. If I had come back to pitch, that must have meant I was healthy, and when I was healthy I had my fastball-changeup combination. Of course, I didn’t have that fastball that night, but I used the element of surprise to my advantage. I started to throw curveballs early in the count against guys I’d never used a curveball against, like Thome. Normally, I would never take the chance of hanging a curveball with him because he had such a long swing and could murder that kind of pitch. I threw changeups in fastball counts or a curveball at the complete opposite moment when one was called for.

Lastly, it must be addressed, because they played at the same time... Bonds did have success against him. But not after Bonds ballooned to 230 pounds and became a cheat code! Siddown, bitch!

(OK, it was only one game, but the period when Bonds had success against him was also before Pedro's dominant period, and the 2004 game was Baseball Jesus Bonds vs Fading Pedro)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qv25_DFR2k

George Brett: here's 3 minutes of telling y'all how many times I poo poo myself. BTW, who's pitching tonight?.

I can never, ever get over this video and every time it's posted have to watch it at least twice.

I mean George... why?!? WHY?!?!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dinosaurs! posted:

Wow this is a treasure.

“Straight fuckin’ water.”

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The recent steroid chat made me think of my all-time favorite love/hate child, Ser Barrold

I am not fond of the steroid era because it has hosed single season and lifetime stats all to hell. Bonds was one of my favorite players by 1990 and also one of the one I hated the most, because he was a dick.

I grew to hate him and love him even more over time, and for the same reasons. But we know for sure 1998 was the last season Bonds was playing naturally. It's in spring training of 1999 when he first shows up with back acne and looking noticeably bigger, and this is because he got pissed no one noticed that he became the first (and likely the only ever) 400/400 player the year before. Nobody noticed because McGwire and Sosa were on their way to 70 and 66 dingers in 1998, and Bonds' ego simply could not take this.

But look at his numbers through that last clean season, age 33:

411 homers and 445 SB, OPS of .966? loving WHAT?!?

Add in a couple of seasons on the age decline, he probably ends up with close to 500 HR and a great career OPS. His postseason performances would have dogged him forever but these career numbers are impossible to argue against. If you look at the time he really started to figure things out, through the end of the clean years (age 25-33), he slashed 305/438/600.

Holy poo poo. A total lock for the HoF.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If my post came across as "I don't think Bonds belongs in the Hall", I said it wrong. I absolutely believe he belongs in there.

I just wanted to point out how great he was before PEDs. IMO he is the single greatest hitter I have seen in my lifetime, and it would be so even if he retired rather than juiced.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Popete posted:

I wonder if they felt like they needed to trade Snell after he got pulled. Maybe they felt the relationship had soured too much.

I suspect this played a part in it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Twitter user “Feddie” has some thoughts on Mookie Betts:

https://twitter.com/edwwater/status/1344077249465610241?s=21

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Who is the announcer at 7:20 of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyobY4gBHcM&t=440s

e: pretty sure this guy was the voice that narrated the highlight portions of "Inside the NFL" back when that show first started. And maybe some other NFL highlight films, like superbowl highlights or team season highlight reels?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

GPTribefan posted:

That would be the great Harry Kalas of the Phillies.

Ah, thank you!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Popete posted:

Do people care about baseball bats? I have a ton of bats around the house and I need to go through them and see what I got so I can finally build a rack to keep them organized. I figure I could snap some pics and talk about the different bats I own and baseball bats in general if people care to read about that stuff. If anything maybe it'll remind myself of what I already have so I stop buying new bats, seriously it's getting ridiculous.

Yes! Do it!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I haven't been keeping up with the offseason too much this time, but now I see it looks like the Padres are definitely in the Not loving Around Crew. I wonder how they will do?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Was this posted?

https://twitter.com/kscitymonarchs/status/1352287086594973699?s=21

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nobody made it into the Hall?!?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So if none of Bonds/Schilling/Clemens gets in next year, which seems likely, do they get a shot at the Veteran's Committee or whatever it's called, later on down the line? How does that work?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

How did they enrage Arenado?

e: nevermind, I just read that dude’s article in the Athletic. I was not aware of all the bad blood between Arenado and the owner.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 30, 2021

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Holy loving poo poo, that is a BANGER!!!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

New favorite twitter account:

https://twitter.com/productiveouts/status/1355370044650229760?s=21

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So the rotation is Beuhler-Kershaw-Bauer-Price-Urias? Price is still with the team, right?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Johnny Bravo posted:

He has a link to the MyPillow guys website on his profile what the hell lmao

Oh for gently caress'S SAKE :mad:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

holy loving poo poo

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The solution I like the best is just deadening the ball, or else changing the strike zone. The rubber is 10” high now, seems like you’d have to lower it considerably to have an impact there.

If you really think about moving the mound back a couple of feet, wouldn’t this also mean also changing the dimensions of the diamond itself? Or do you just live with the fact that the rubber is three feet closer to 2nd now, making pickoff throws to that base easier? I dunno, I don’t think any of us will live to see the mound moved. Lowered, yeah maybe. Not moved.

Also I wanted to add that stubbornly continuing to hit the ball into the shift, is exactly what Williams did.

He writes about hitting to the opposite field in The Science of Hitting but I have wondered forever now if it was something he could actually do intentionally. As strange as it sounds, while I consider him perhaps the greatest hitter of all time, I have my doubts that he could.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What is Bauer whining about WRT the Athletic?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This is kinda cool: Seven Spray Charts You Need to See to Believe

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like people still don't fully appreciate how insanely good Soto is.

His splits as a lefty tell a pretty interesting story. Especially since he's only been up for three seasons now. Imagine what he will be like four, five years from now.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

OOTP 18 still had the little peg-people moving around instead of the 3D animations, didn’t it?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Now Bauer and Syndergaard are getting into it:

https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/1362940446813511681?s=20

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

OK so maybe this won’t be funny to you guys, but for some reason it makes me laugh to beat the band.

Someone on twitter made a bot that does the Thom Brennaman “drive” bit, you have to @ it and use one of three keywords to get it to post.

Anyway, sometimes people see the bot post and think it’s a real person, and this kind of poo poo results (thread):

https://twitter.com/chrisfetterley/status/1363734654130524161?s=21

e: I can’t link it correctly but if you click on Chris Fetterley’s reply you can see the thread

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 22, 2021

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have not played fantasy baseball since 1994, when I participated in an informal amateur thing between a group of friends.

Now, I am about to enter into a ten-team H2H thing using the CBSsports website thing:

I have ranked my draft list by position. Does anyone have any tips for me? Possible breakout players? Or is there a thread specifically for fantasy baseball?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Tony Phillips posted:

Kazmir made me wonder about the longest gap between MLB appearances.

For WWII roster reasons - here's the record holder:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/schrepa01.shtml

This guy took 22 loving years off, then came back and dropped his FIP by two runs

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

57 game hit streak is the one among these that I feel like I might actually live to see broken

No good reason, just seems doable

It's 56, and no, you won't! Neither will anyone else.

It's not enough to be a great hitter who gets hot and stays hot for two months, it also takes some luck. There were at least two points where DiMaggio's streak should have been broken, if not for bad bounces. Not to mention at least one scorer's decision that went in his favor. It won't be broken.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Intruder posted:

tbf he as a WW2 fill-in pitching to other WW2 fill-ins

Yes but this was the season he had to face hitters such as Johnny Dickshot, who slashed 302/366/407

Not to mention Stuffy Stirnweiss, whos slashed 309/385/476*

*before dropping 58 points in AVG when everyone came home the next season

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ball de-juiced this season, or still too early to tell?