Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the possibility is there that an undefeated Cincy actually does get into the playoff if a) the Big 12 fails to produce a team with fewer than 2 losses and b) the Big Ten and/or PAC-12 are unable to produce a team with more than 5 wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ohio State is probably running the table and into the playoff. I don’t know how any PAC-12 team gets in with only 7 games played. Every other conference would have to have lots of 2 loss teams.

My question with the Big Ten is how many games they’re going to get in given their protocols and their tight window to get the games in. If a lot of teams experience what Wisconsin is experiencing now, and Ohio State only ends up playing four or five games and maybe beats Northwestern or whoever in a farce of a conference championship game, do they still get in?

As far as the PAC-12 is concerned, I think a 7-0 champ( 8-0 counting that CCG, I guess) would get in, but I strongly doubt anybody ends up playing that full slate, or that anybody manages to run the table regardless.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 1, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

But on the other hand, maybe the playoff committee does vote in a 5-0 Ohio State, since a) it’s Ohio State and b) the alternative is getting screamed at by the Big Ten and its media proxies that they’re effectively being punished for valuing player safety more than the other conferences. This would simultaneously be a tremendously bad-faith argument and kind of a valid point.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

dphi posted:

PAC 12 is actually a six game schedule with a CCG

Ah okay. In any case, I’m supremely confident Oregon will lose exactly as many games as they need to to narrowly miss the playoff.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When in doubt, bet against the worst unit on the field. Which I’m fairly sure is the Florida defense.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

Liberty is ranked.

I’m legitimately kind of hyped for Coastal vs Liberty on 12/5, if anyone makes it that far.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It kind of feels like we could start the playoff next week and not miss much. There’s Alabama, there’s Clemson, there’s Ohio State; number four isn’t really going to matter.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think Cincy is actually going to have a reasonable shot at the playoffs if they go undefeated; especially if no one comes out of the abbreviated Pac-12
season undefeated.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d assume so, but it’s not like a dude who has lived and breathed football for like 40 years would be un-prepared for that possibility. It’s happened before, on television.

Yeah, but there’s a difference between having seen it and having it happen to someone you’re personally responsible for.

If the lack of movement is meaningful, I don’t know what else it would be outside of a visibly crushed skull/face.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hell, they might get in the old fashioned way

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Paul Rhoads' tenure at Iowa State seemed above-average measured against the program's history.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Chizik was seen as a good hire, but turned out awful. He also had terrible assistants.

Rhoads I think was a good hire, especially because it was in reaction to Chizik. It worked ok for a little while, and I think Pollard made the right call firing when he did.

Campbell looks to be a really good hire, but even Campbell has not really transformed ISU yet. They all struggle against Iowa State's long history of ineptitude.

Yeah I don't think Rhoads got a raw deal or anything, but it would be unfair to call him a bad hire when he kept the program a great deal above its floor most of his time there. (well, for those first four years anyway)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MV, I say this sincerely and with no snark intended, I love that the one piece of unrestrained homerism you allow yourself is making GBS threads on Iowa State at every opportunity.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Didn’t Tubberville beat Bama like 5 years in a row?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

He beat up on Fran and Mike Shula, then got fired a couple of years into Saban.

I didn't know this until looking it up but he never had a team ranked at the end of the season after Auburn.

That can’t possibly be true, he went undefeated in 2004

Edit: oh, after he left Auburn. Yeah his Tech teams were underwhelming and Cincy was a disaster

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

How many D1 football coaches have we had in the US Congress? Is it just Tubberville and Tom Osborne?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Penn State plays Nebraska next week.

The Lol Bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Did Gary Anderson do something bad off field at Utah State to get fired? Seems like you typically have to do worse than 7-9 to get fired a year and change into your tenure.