Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
just gonna kramer in here without reading pages 2 through 6 and point out that b12 is produced by bacteria in the soil, farm animals are given b12 supplements/injections now since the soil is dead and animals aren't even allowed to live on the soil anyway, and eating meat for b12 given that animals have to have b12 supplements anyway is just taking b12 supplements with extra steps

also not a vegan myself (tried it for one year, it was not great) but the b12 objection is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Hashy posted:

I've been vegan for nearly a year now and it's the easiest thing ever now but then I can afford $9 vegan cheese occasionally and oat/soy milk that costs double what cow milk does here (don't buy almond it uses an absurd amount of water to produce and it tastes like almonds).

If you can't afford vegan luxuries the best thing you can do is scale back your consumption and do even a little to increase demand for vegan products. It will be more affordable in our lifetimes.

Escaping the cognitive dissonance of carnism has been incredibly freeing and has taught me to cook better and enjoy food more than ever before.

my favorite part of being vegan was figuring out how to cook chickpeas in like 15 different amazing ways, 9 dollar vegan cheese is totally not necessary to enjoy being vegan

the part that sucked was all social, not the eating part itself

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Hashy posted:

You definitely don't but I do like a lot of vegan alternatives every so often (meat-likes, cheeses, ice-cream etc).

Most carnists actually spend a load on food and still balk at the prices of vegan alternatives. Those people will probably find they don't spend any more to be a moderately indulgent vegan

yeah that's totally true, and the alternatives can be fun and tasty. we didn't really get much of that stuff though, it felt like the year we were vegans our grocery bills were almost non-existent, but we were eating really well. i got so good at cooking indian food. it's incredible - there's so many youtube videos of indian women cooking up meals and they're super easy to follow, and don't take as many spices as you would think. but yeah if you aren't buying steak and bacon you can easily afford fancy milks and ice creams and i guess cheeses. unfortunately the only vegan ice cream i liked was coconut-milk ice cream, and i became a vegan mostly for ecological reasons (i'm against factory farming but okay with killing animals to eat them provided they have a good life and can express themselves naturally [as in, pigs like to root around and raising them on concrete slabs should be illegal]) so coconut-milk ice cream was also out.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Bot 02 posted:

Not to be "that vegan", but veganism is more than just eating plants. It's a philosophy which acknowledges animals' rights not to be harmed and exploited, and eating a plant based diet is a subset of that philosophy, but it also means that you're not necessarily vegan just based on your diet if you don't also subscribe to the philosophy in other aspects of your life.

oh yeah that's right, it's been a while and i forgot. i was very careful to never say i was a vegan, just that i was on a plant based diet. go ahead and be 'that vegan' imho

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

B12 is not produced by bacteria in the soil.

Unless you mean nightsoil.

It's produced in the gut microbiome of a lot of herbivores, especially ruminants. Their poo poo gets mixed with the soil and thus soil contains B12.

It's also naturally present in certain types of seaweed.

We can now just ferment it up, we don't need a cow stomach, but figuring out if the process works or not was only possible in 1955, thus marking us being able to solve the deficiency with better answer than "guessing" or "eat cow liver".

are you sure man? lot's of people say that those bacteria are also present in soil.

anyway cows still need to be given b12 injections because their food doesn't have enough cobalt so eating meat is still just like taking supplements with extra steps if your only concern is b12

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

yeah but what happens when he covers the earth in lentils?

oh, they're nitrogen fixers and it will basically be a garden of eden? huh, that's cool...

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Bot 02 posted:

So this is something I've been struggling with ever since I first became a vegan and I'd like some input

Hummus: food of the gods or overrated?

hummus is like getting to the first jhana

the second is falafel

the third is falafel with hummus for dipping

i'm not sure what's after that i didn't get that far yet.

ps falafel protip: under no circumstances should you use cooked or canned chickpeas. soak chickpeas for 24 hours then grind them in a food processor with your herbs and spices.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Troutful posted:

I wouldn't say it's our burden, exactly, but I think you can make a convincing utilitarian argument for (limited) animal agriculture and hunting. Like, I think backyard chickens can pretty easily lead better lives than wild chickens, even after you factor in egg stealing and slaughter. This is kind of an academic discussion given the current hideous reality of industrial farming, though, and I'm sorry if it comes off as concern-trolly. In the real world, for most people, veganism is the right choice.

Do people have any thoughts about the social elements of veganism? It was really easy for me to eat vegetarian before the COVID pandemic because 80% of my social group was vegetarian/vegan, so we'd all just cook vegan meals for each other with dairy add-ins. I struggle with not eating meat on my own and I really miss the (mild) social pressure of those communal meals.

what's a wild chicken? there aren't any wild birds that lay an egg a day.

edit: this is a really dumb post given that i'm not a vegan and don't actually give a gently caress if someone eats backyard chicken eggs/chickens (but gently caress factory farms)

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Nov 11, 2020

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

FacelessVoid posted:

Cats and dogs will sometimes abandon their litters. Is is safe to say they don't care about their young? No, that would be silly.

Chickens do not want they're young stolen. That's why they attempt to hide their eggs and will brood if you keep taking them. They only eat them if their starving or something. I do not have to raised chickens personally to know this.

Only if you're also keeping a rooster around and allowing them to breed. I don't understand what you mean by "outsourcing". You choose to keep animals on your farm or not. There will be animals in the wild regardless.

I don't think you're a bad person who has no empathy. If I thought you were I wouldn't bother arguing with you at all.

However, you're missing the point. It doesn't matter than you're treating them better than the wild. You are inflicting suffering that is unnecessarily just for the sake of your taste buds. You could let them live on the farm without killing them or eating their young. Or just not raise them at all as other posters have mentioned.

if you don't keep a rooster around then how could you possibly be stealing a chicken's young?

i get that you've never had chickens before but you know that eggs don't hatch unless a rooster fertilized them, right?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

I would imagine the chicken assumes the eggs will have babies and treat every egg like that though I am no expert in chickens and whether they know if an egg has been fertilized or not

they don't care if you take their eggs in my experience. it's not like humans are the only things that eat eggs - snakes, weasels, all sorts of animals will find and eat eggs. in good weather chickens will lay an egg a day. of course we've always had a rooster and let them raise children, too. now if a hawk or fox wants to get one of their chicks, yeah they'll freak the gently caress out - they obviously care a lot about that - but they don't give a poo poo about unhatched eggs.

edit: on the subject of backyard chickens, i had a chud co-worker once who was really proud his daughter was in the 4H club. i have no idea what the 4h club is but the impression i got was that it's the cruelty to animals club. this shitheads wife was a veterinarian, so you would have thought he would have known better, but anyway they had some chicken raising project. i guess he bought a bunch of these engineered chickens that factory farms use - the ones that grow huge breasts in a few weeks and can't walk anymore due to their insane bodyweight - and he and his daughter made sure to keep the lights on in their tiny cage 24/7 so that they would gorge themselves on food. they proudly 'processed' them after 8 weeks. goddamn psycopath. gently caress that guy.

anyways we just always had heritage breeds like rhode island reds or random bantams and took good care of them, for most people keeping chickens as pets it's really not any different than having a dog or a cat. probably it's better, since you feed them grain and they find their own meat (bugs and stuff in your yard)

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Nov 11, 2020

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

FacelessVoid posted:

This is also arguably inflicting suffering since wild chickens only lay a dozen or so eggs a year. They've been bread to produce that many eggs. It's similar to the way people can rationalize dairy because dairy cows have been bread to produce so much milk they want to be milk so it must be okay!

This is a good argument, but it doesn't like up with my own experiences. If you actually observe happy chickens, it doesn't seem like they're really suffering as much as the anti-chicken people say. I think if you're gonna come out against people keeping chickens as pets (and eating their eggs) I think you've gotta come out even stronger against owning dogs and cats (which maybe you do) since you have to feed them meat, while you can feed chickens a plant based diet.

Anyway, absolutely no one should be buying eggs from the grocery store. Personally I'm cool with eating eggs from backyard chickens and from farmers who I trust but I'm also cool with vegans being completely against it!

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Nov 12, 2020

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

Don't chickens only lay eggs for a couple of years consistently but can live for potentially 10 years, you could accumulate a lot of chickens if you were feeding a family of 5 or 6 if you weren't getting rid of them when they were done producing

Also, dogs can live completely fine on vegan dog food heck I've been feeding my rescue dog natural balance vegetarian dog food (it's vegan) for years and every vet check up he's perfectly healthy and he has energy for days. I have no idea about cats I doubt they could be fed a vegan diet

Yes that's true. A vegan could probably keep some rescue hens as pets just fine but add roosters to the mix and you're gonna have to accept some deaths.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

In 2020 it shouldn't be hard to understand that Strong Moral Stances which, when taken to their extreme, require us to cull a significant amount of human population are natural (heh) fertile grounds for fascism and ecofascists are real, not my friend, and sometimes super about veganism.

The plan where we all move to all-vegan diets isn't possible right now without first declaring a whole lot of disabled people unworthy of life and also putting a hell of a lot of time and effort into genetic engineering - as well as regular engineering - of perfect crops and farms. Funnily, the technology that would allow us to go full vegan without murdering anyone would also enable 3D printing replacement organs and that's research a lot of money is being poured into. So it's not a question of "we don't want to", it's a case of "we can't yet".

Which means that if you're not an ecofascist you make compromises. Invertebrates are inevitable sources of animal labor and also allow us to convert human-inedible resources far more efficiently than any other method we have right now. Forage fish (anchovies, sardines, herrings) are a special case because the ocean's ecosystem is poorly suited for plants.

And one of the compromises you make should be stopping calling yourself vegan so you don't give the fascists a place to hide.

how on earth does veganism require culling the human population

like if it takes 10 tonnes of soybeans to make 1 tonne of beef... why not just make 10 tonnes of tofu?

what the heck are you talking about dude

wait

oh lol

source your quotes dog

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Veganism involves not killing animals for our food, including insects.

It doesn't take any soybeans at all to produce beef, but that's irrelevant either way, because a primarily plant-based diet is still less resource-intensive than factory farming meat.

However the way we produce plants involves a lot of death of things that would also rather like to eat our food, as well as the insects that help produce that food. Things bigger than insects can be dealt with humanely in most cases. Bugs? Not so much. We need to kill bugs. We need to kill a lot of bugs.

Also it's not just pure calories there's a lot of cases where we need animal parts and byproducts to manufacture food and medication. Byproducts-only diet is possible. Synthetic diet allows us to go all animal sources free for healthy people. But there's a lot of work to be done.

are you gonna do like a triangular toblerone chart with two pyramids, one black one white, with one labeled "BYPRODUCTS ONLY DIET" and the other labelled "SYNETHETIC DIET" or something soon? that would be cool and very much appreciated by LF connoisseurs such as myself

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Then you're not very aware.

I mean I get it's probably like lesbians in the UK on trans issues, but jesus loving almighty are the ecofash out there.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
by god, that's fischmech's music!

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

This is just lazy, the flip is obvious.

You're using an undefined "possible and practicable" that means whatever you want for it to as your arguments, and by that argument it's trivial to justify ruminant consumption - they eat grasses we don't and produce milk that's rich in b12 which otherwise creates a bottleneck easy to exploit for both profit and warfare.

So, vegans eat beef. And by that standard, I was wrong all along.

oh wait you're the guy who thinks that b12 producing bacteria are literally only found in the guts of ruminants lmao

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Now, do they understand these behaviors are abnormal and are they unhappy or just behaving according to instinctive patterns?

turn your monitor on

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
so wait in starship troopers the fascists are fighting the bugs. now heinlein was pretty fashy, Verhoeven definitely antifa. and yet they both killed the bugs. in the book, and in the movie. makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
oh wait in the Verhoeven film killing the bugs was bad, you fell into my trap

also in real life killing bugs is bad, just farm in ways that don't require so many insecticides you stupid capitalist pigs. actually let's just guillotine them (the "farmers") and then then we won't need insecticides on our collective farms, in large part due to the biodiversity that we promote (not even joking, not even a little bit)