Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
i'm vegan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

you shouldn't eat animals

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, but the consumption of animals would also be unethical under communism.

One effective way to force the meat industry to downsize is by having more people go vegan.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

there's plenty of animals out there that aren't capable of suffering.

Sorry, you're going to have to back up this claim because I wasn't aware that this was something we knew for certain.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I don't eat meat, but merely existing as a human being requires the killing of animals, even if it's just insects as a result of farming

there's also definitely parts of the world where killing animals is required for survival, like the arctic

Well someone doesn't know the most common definition of veganism

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Also I don't get this obsession meat-eaters have with wanting to eat insects. There are no problems with getting protein on a plant-based diet, it's a myth that you have to eat animals to get proteins.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I've met vegans that are all over the map

some are total absolutists
some think honey is fine
some think certain non-vegan material like wool is fine (I don't see the issue with wool either)

do you have an objection to people living in parts of the world where eating or using animal products is necessary for survival?

Well, the most common definition which I and most vegans I've met subscribe to is the definition laid out by The Vegan Society:

"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

Honey and wool aren't vegan, and the animals are often harmed as consequence of their production.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

I gotta be honest, when it comes to irrelevant edge cases I have actually never heard the "what about corals" one before.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

FacelessVoid posted:

veganism started from the principle of do the least harm. not only eat XYZ foods no matter what. don't worry about satisfying someone else's rules and just follow your conscience. it's not complicated.

Exactly, the reason why I subscribe to the Vegan Society's definition of veganism is because it describes my moral position, not the other way around.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

actually the real reason i'm vegan is because i absolutely hate plants and i want them to suffer

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Crane Fist posted:

I think it's bad to kill animals so I'm as vegetarian as I can be while being poor as poo poo. I'll never be vegan though because vegan food is mad expensive and lentils are the devil's work

Is this a regional thing? Where I'm from, all the vegan staples (grains, vegetables, legumes) are all cheap as poo poo.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Not to be "that vegan", but veganism is more than just eating plants. It's a philosophy which acknowledges animals' rights not to be harmed and exploited, and eating a plant based diet is a subset of that philosophy, but it also means that you're not necessarily vegan just based on your diet if you don't also subscribe to the philosophy in other aspects of your life.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Also I lied, I love being "that vegan"

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Crane Fist posted:

I'm considering becoming a full vegan because I oppose cruelty to animals and loving love gatekeeping, it really strengthens a movement

You're right, eroding the core tenet of what a movement is about is what really strengthens it.

It's not gatekeeping, it's being clear about the definition. Veganism isn't a diet, it's a philosophy focused on animal rights. If we want a thread to discuss the different aspects of plant-based eating that's fine, but it is not the same as veganism.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

lumpentroll posted:

lentils will be mandatory

:hmmyes:

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

I've tried a bunch of different vital wheat gluten recipes and ended up with a weird spongy moisture-pocket filled texture that's impossible to shape each time, even if the flavour's good. I'm assuming I'm just not kneading enough but I've got some joint things that make kneading... unpleasant. What can I do?

Hmm, I've never had a problem like that, been making this recipe and this recipe. Maybe you can try kneading it in a kitchen machine? Are you tightly wrapping it in foil or cloth before cooking it?

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

I'll give those a shot - neither of the recipes I followed happened to include those steps. I don't have a stand mixer so maybe that can go on the christmas list. Thanks for the advice!

You're welcome! I haven't tried making unwrapped seitan, but I assume it's pretty important for the firmness.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

My girlfriend and I are lucky to have friends who will gladly cook vegan when they invite us over, but the easiest way we've found to deal with the social aspect is to host dinners ourselves. Removes the entire worry of being difficult guests and with a bit of luck the exposure to good vegan cooking might even help nudge them towards veganism in the future.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

So this is something I've been struggling with ever since I first became a vegan and I'd like some input

Hummus: food of the gods or overrated?

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

baw posted:

at first youre like "heck yeah hummus" and it becomes a staple food but eventually you move on to other things and eat it less often. if you ever take a vegan cooking class youre almost guaranteed to learn how to make hummus

also yeah make your own dang hummus

This is where I'm at currently. Initially I liked hummus because of the taste and convenience, but now I have the skill to make things which I just enjoy more.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

:agreed:

I don't get leftists who aren't vegan. Like what foundation do you base your leftism on that wouldn't also naturally lead to veganism?

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

It's not a question between "life on a farm" and "life in the wild", it's a question between "life on a farm" and nonexistence. If humans didn't eat farmed animals they wouldn't be living in the forest, but rather they would never have been brought into this world at all. If I had a choice between a short life of guaranteed suffering or just simply not existing, I think I would prefer the latter.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Slotducks posted:

Progress not perfection I suppose.

There's no ethical consumption in a capitalist society kind of rings true with vegans - you could extend the suffering argument to clothing, technology, services, etc etc and eventually we'll all be living in communes self sustaining on local agriculture only.

Okay sounds good I guess.

"No ethical consumption under capitalism" applies to consumption which would normally be ethical, but ends up being unethical because of the mode of production (you can't capitalistically produce something without exploiting someone). It does not apply to consumption which is inherently unethical, like for example exploiting and killing an animal just for ones own (taste) enjoyment. That's not right regardless of capitalism status.

For another example, take dog fighting. It's a form of entertainment people consume, but nobody tries to defend it with "no ethical consumption under capitalism", rather most people rightly condemn it is unethical because it is so inherently.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Edmond Dants0000 posted:

whatever your ethical stance on eating animal products is, the important part is that modern industrial farming is hosed up and it fucks the workers up mentally. even if you don’t care about anything else, you should oppose industrial animal production on workers rights alone

I’ll have a vegan milkshake and a beyond beef burger thank you

Yeah, slaughterhouse work gives people PTSD and is a workers' rights disaster. Besides, discussions of backyard chickens or hunting are largely academic because you can't scale them up, so they're not going to be viable options for feeding the vast majority of the population anyway. We have to abolish the insanely destructive and harmful industrial animal agriculture, and most people are going to have to transition to a plant-based diet to do that.

Bot 02 has issued a correction as of 12:56 on Nov 12, 2020

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

So a local deli chain opened a vegetarian store in Oslo, and predictably people are mad about it. The most notable are the Centre Party (Norwegian rural party), whose representative said:

quote:

- I have no problem trying a vegan meal, but I will not support the ideology behind it. That's why I'll probably stay far away! In addition, I am interested in a varied and well-composed diet - where proteins are an important part. It is difficult to get enough protein with that kind of diet.

The Centre Party have made it a point lately to attack veganism, since vegans are disgusting city-dwellers who represent everything wrong with modern society and who will cause the downfall of Norwegian farmers because vegans obviously don't consume anything produced at a farm. Many people have tried to inform the Centre Party that they are completely misinformed, but these attempts have so far fallen on deaf ears.

Link to Google translate of the article: https://translate.google.com/transl...3424045535.html

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

I'm opposed to the slaughter of billions of beings because I'm a fascist

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

My main reason for wanting to minimize the abuse and exploitation of animals (of which humans are a part) is because I hate people with disabilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Do it ironically posted:

some curry sounds really good right now, anyone have a good recipe they could share maybe make it tomorrow

What kind of curry are you craving, there are like a million different variants