Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oolb posted:

if you have money

sad trombone noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oolb posted:

If you were to make biblical hell incarnate, it would pretty much look like a factory farm. Saying lol I live in hellworld is like quoting harry potter or some poo poo. Find pleasure that doesn't involve torturing innocents or get into BDSM.

So this is a bit, right? You're doing the stereotypical dickhead vegan loudmouth thing to own PETA or something

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's bad to kill animals so I'm as vegetarian as I can be while being poor as poo poo. I'll never be vegan though because vegan food is mad expensive and lentils are the devil's work

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I tried to go vegan but i had no idea how hard it was gonna be to stop eating coral

Coral is vegan, anyone who says otherwise is a shill for the ocean lobby

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crumbskull posted:

legumes grains and vegetables are famously considerably more expensive than things like meat, cheese, fish etc

Do not condescend to me, American

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

endlessmonotony posted:

Heh, minced meat is cheaper than most legumes here. Capitalism!

Yeah same, and vegan substitutes for anything are completely unaffordable so going full time vegan would mean just completely abandoning the idea of dairy- soy milk for example is extortionately priced, oat and almond are worse, vegan cheese may as well not exist, it sucks

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crumbskull posted:

, but the idea that in order to go vegan one MUST eat specialty processed replacement foods is pretty funny to me imo.

My take is that if you want to encourage people to eat vegan we need to come up with a better pushback against the very common perception that veganism means living in a yurt eating watery lentils than "yeah deal with it"

Crumbskull posted:

i;m British,

Even worse!!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crumbskull posted:

i wrote my bachelor's capstone paper on the fascist/nazi roots in the organic farming movement and was almost excommunicated from my sustainable ag program lmao

I'm extremely interested in hearing more about this

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crumbskull posted:

its not as interesting as it sounds, there was just a HUGE overlap between early aristocrat organic advocates like (the extremely cool) lady balfour and also out and out blood and soil nationalist german guys who saw organic production methods (at this time largely conceived of as the stuff that guy who wrote that book about composting in china that I cant even think of the name of despite the fact that he is like the godfather of western org. farming[myu brain is full of hole[) as part and parcel with their political program of recreating a kind of cottage farmer based society where the Old Ways are The BEst Ways and the food should be as pure as the blood of the nation.

In the paper I argued that this reactionary tendency actually never went away and explains why so many boomer hippy generation back to the lander types ultimately ended up being reactionary or like, how modern woo woo western nation people will believe in crystal healing and race science at the same time. Basically ecological thinking has always had a pretty large contingent of people who are fascistic and I believe this is under reckoned with. Im trying to find the paper but it was years ago now

This all makes a lot of sense and there's always been a huge weird nostalgic element to fascism, whether you go eco or not seems to depends entirely on how far back consider "the good old days" to be

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bot 02 posted:

Not to be "that vegan", but veganism is more than just eating plants. It's a philosophy which acknowledges animals' rights not to be harmed and exploited, and eating a plant based diet is a subset of that philosophy, but it also means that you're not necessarily vegan just based on your diet if you don't also subscribe to the philosophy in other aspects of your life.

I'm considering becoming a full vegan because I oppose cruelty to animals and loving love gatekeeping, it really strengthens a movement

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Do it ironically posted:

how my vegans doing? thinking about how awesome all y’all are

[extremely white guy voice]: hey yo where my vegans at

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Do it ironically posted:

I would imagine the chicken assumes the eggs will have babies

They do not

Do it ironically posted:

and treat every egg like that

They absolutely do not

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My biggest problem with veganism is that all vegans weigh 90 pounds and have cirrhosis and brittle bone disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

steroids aren't vegan!!!