Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Posting just to be preserved forever in history! Do we start posting maps? Optimism? Doom? Feelin' a little bit of both at once and am a little numb to it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Vorik posted:

My predictions:

Biden wins presidency.

Dems do not gain control of the Senate.

I don't think that's possible, with the current map layout and Electoral college. This is either gonna be a blowout or a squeaker where the EC / courts screw us over again, I fear.

How are u posted:

We're gonna bring Democracy and Good Governance back to America, baby.

:yeah:

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

DetoxP posted:

Alright, if we're laying down predictions...

I have zero confidence in this.

This is mostly a good map, I like this map.

My dark fantasy map is this + GA, OH, IA, and TX just because I really want to watch the melt-down that happens in that universe.

Montana would be the comedy cherry on top. (I do not expect this to happen plausibly).

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

I'm posting it. The wet dream, super blue, +400 map. The one that will never happen unless it does.

Why yes even in my wildest, most delusional fantasies we lost 18 states isn't that fun.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

LegendaryFrog posted:

Your wildest dreams involves just winning all of the toss up swing states. It's the same as my map except it involves having a bit more faith in Ohio and Montana (probably the biggest stretch here). Any other election this would be fantasy land, but it actually is in reasonable stretch range this time.

I threw in Alaska and Montana which are also feasible but significantly less so (nobody's really considering them "swing states"). I just want to see more blue land mass because it really dwarfs the rest.

Other than that, yeah, my wildest dreams can only get so detached from data.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

I would argue Indiana is more likely than AK or MT. Obama won it in '08 after all.

Times have changed since 2008. If you believe the 538 snake of probability, MT, SC, AK, and MO are all more likely than Indiana.

I will accept a map where all 5 of those states are blue, though, sure, I wouldn't be mad about it.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

For context, this is the map I think you'd get if you applied the infamous Republican methodology that was floating around Twitter yesterday of "take the numbers and add +10-15% to them because that's just what I want to do."

It's mostly amazing how high the margins are in so many red states that I think it absolutely cannot breech some of these firewalls even in an insane Reagan-style blowout.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

my hot take: final votes will be high 130s/low 140s. turnout will be a dud tomorrow.

That would be the best case at least in regards to the day being one big Covid-19 super spreader. (Which it of course probably will be anyway) :sigh:

Also it would mean Republicans didn't show up, so it might be even better than a 160+ record smasher where both sides are just insanely hyped up. The early vote has been massive and crushing Democratic, at least from a party registration viewpoint.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

we have evidence that there is an enthusiasm gap between parties:

But what about the crowds! Didn't you see?? All the cars??? They had flags!!

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Xombie posted:

They're not national, they're made by each state's Secretaries of State.

I used to stick 'em on my computer and it was neat because I had moved a few times over the years so I had a few different ones. I kinda wish they would make year-exclusive ones so you could really show 'em off or something like they were marathon medallions (just, y'know, stickers)

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/1323698376236478466?s=20

It's too early to tell (things may get crazy when everyone gets off work) but turnout is lookin' very favorable I dunno.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Judging by the comments from Graham and Cruz that he just retweeted, the Senate at least for now seems to have shifted into at least nominally playing along with his game. Which is a little concerning.

I wonder if Trump has threatened to take the party down with him if they don't. We may be looking at a hostage situation here.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

Trump has nothing they want.

Trump has the sole attention and rabid loyalty of millions upon millions of Republican Voters. He could absolutely drive a wedge in their whole system if he decides to.

I don't think it's a game he would win, but he could sure nuke a couple election cycles trying.

Personally I'm here for it if it goes down that road (Godzilla: "Let Them Fight" meme.gif here), but if you're the RNC it makes sense why you would try to bend over backwards to let him down easy and at least pretend to put up a resistance for him to try to keep him as kingmaker rather than leader of the splintering.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I guess that's all you can do and hope people burn themselves out and eventually stop learning the new ones. But c'mon.

They've got a hard deadline. Joe Biden officially becomes President in 2 months and they probably have way less time than that to put a convincing case together. If they don't have some hard evidence to produce this week they're going to lose anything resembling momentum on this issue as the entire media, right-wing included, shift their attention over to Biden.

They don't have the time or bandwidth to "burn out" this particular problem. TikTok teens win again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Flayer posted:

Maybe in Trump's frazzled brain he thinks Biden can't be made president if there is on-going litigation. That one hack that lets you be president forever.

Can't transition power if the election is under audit! Everybody says that.