Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So, Stringless or Rust for Childe?

Rust does almost as much damage as the 5* for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Someone mentioned Jean and Barbara are sisters, and I noticed afterwards they have the same eyes. Nice touch.

Its in Jean's friendship story unlocks at least. It says that Jean's mother was a knight and her dad was an adventurer, after a while he went into the church becoming the deacon or something. They got divorced and mom kept custody of Jean and dad of Barbara. It also mentions they aren't really any speaking terms

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Radical posted:

someone said the earth guy was a catalyst user but im not sure where that info is from

He’s should be a caster given how he has a magic circle in front of his house and an alchemical laboratory.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pierson posted:

Is hard-countering elements with under-levelled teams better than just kind of brute-forcing them with at-level teams? I'm running into a problem where the artifacts I want are from domains that are awkward to face with my Diluc team since they're either full of fire shields or have leyline disorders that punish Fire/Lightning reactions. With the amount of resources it takes at higher levels I could probably bring my entire B-team up to 60-70 for the cost of taking my Diluc and Fishl team to 70-80.

You should have at least one carry to 80 since level scaling is a thing that will cut back on a lot of your damage. The way I see it the best way to level is always have a carry 10 levels above your support team till the supports get to ascension 4, then you leave them parked at 60 till you get your carries to 80. After you have all your support teams at A4 and two carries at 80 you can start bothering getting your other supports up.

I never once noticed a significant boost in world level difficulty following this rule.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I have Jean and Barbara and ever since I learned how strong Xing barbara has never been in my A team. Jean barely ever leaves my party, because I've grown used to having a tanky character soak up damage and heal the party when poo poo hits the fan.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Saxophone posted:

I'm guessing 5* pity doesn't carry over on banners?

I've just been burning pulls as I get them trying not to worry too much about 5*s as I'm enjoying the game as it is anyway. I've got Fischl and just pulled Ningguang so I at least have a couple solid 4*s.

It does

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Saving is nice and all but they had to go and put two idiot himbos back to back as the featured 5* units and just screw me over. There's no way I'll get both and it sucks. I just want the handsome idiots.

The next one is probably another one with Albedo for 1.2 unless they throw a curveball

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No Wave posted:

4-sets are for whales. The only 4-set you should expect to use is Venerer, otherwise you will be better off just using the best stats you have on 2-sets and off pieces 90% of the time.

You'll find that you have a lot more wiggle room feathers and flowers a.) because you don't have to worry about the primary stat and b.) they can't roll flat HP and flat ATK, respectively, which makes high quality feathers/flowers something like >10x more common than high quality helmets (let alone goblets). Sands, hats, and goblets are much harder and you'll have to settle for some crappy pieces.

I think one of the leaks showed a 5 piece set that could work on any damage dealer and it was strong enough that you'd want all parts of it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I know that if I could roll on a specific 5* weapon then there are some I'd rather have than a 5* character. The gravestone comes to mind. The problem is that that's not how the weapon banner works.

If you look under details, there's this blurb:

What this means is let's say you're rolling on the current banner, which has Skyward Harp and Memory of Dust, and let's say you just got childe and you want the harp, because it's bis for him. You pull out your credit card, and your rolls, excluding the random junk, are: 70 pulls, pity 5* that isn't either of them. 78 pulls, pity Dust. Another 145 pulls and you have another different 5* and another Dust. You can repeat this cycle forever. You cannot guarantee a specific weapon because of the rules. This is why you shouldn't roll on the weapon banners unless you want the 4* weapons. The last banner had Sacrificial weapons, and they were really great. I rolled a couple of times to get a sword for XQ because getting a reset on his e is amazing. On this banner, Rust is Childe's runner up bis, and if you roll enough you've got a pretty okay shot at getting it.

Do not roll on weapon banners for getting 5* weapons. This exact thing has broken even streamers. People who get paid to do this don't do it because they aren't making enough money back for the big moment. The reason MTashed threw his big fit and went F2P and swore off of gacha was because he was rolling for a specific 5* weapon on the last banner, I believe it was the claymore, and after $10k or so he still didn't have one.

We're not being assholes or prioritizing waifus or whatever by telling people to forget the 5* weapons exist. We're warning you that 5* weapons are a level beyond even a whale's game. They're leviathan tier bullshit, do not waste your money on chasing them. If you wanna spend some pulls to get 4* weapons with the expectation that you will eventually get a random 5* weapon, then yeah, go for it. But go in knowing how it works.

I spent like a hundred bucks trying to get Klee's book for her after getting her without issues with relatively low free pulls. I didnt get it, I got two of the GSs though and a full slew of sacrificial weapons. The sacrificial sword, bows and book have gotten me more use than what the book would have gotten me.

It is insane how well the sword works on XQ, the bow is bar none the best for Diona. I'm sure that eventually a GS support unit will benefit from that too. I'm sad that there was no sac spear because hell it probably would have ended up being the best weapon for Zhongli too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I haven't really notice what Fischl is even saying in jp other than how verbose the the text makes it appear but shes not even being chuuni by saying words in other languages. She's talking in a haughty way with some anachronistic words, the localization is taking huge efforts to convey how much of a dork she is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

How are Paimon's "boom shaka laka" lines in other languages?

I forgot what she said during the Xianling quest but I'll keep an ear out for when she says it during the rest of the liyue quest line

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The BP is the second best thing you can spend money on in the game. The resources you get far outweigh the 9 blue weapons and 4* character/gear you'll get from a $25 dollar pull.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Am I screwing myself over by unlocking ever chest I see right now (WL2) vs saving them for later? What do I spend my anemo/geo sigils on?

No difference, treasure chests content dont scale with world level

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

In the quest where we meet Razor who’s the red knight he’s talking about?

Klee

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well you see. It's a game, where all the units theyre pumping out are cute guys, rather than cute girls like every other gacha game that exists besides the one bara game with the dudes with gigantic packages.

They are only balancing the scale since 4/5 standard 5* units the game launched with were girls. We are still 3/8 of in game 5* being males. So Zhongly, Xian, and Albedo can come out and they'd just be slightly above the average number of 5* and chances are Inazuma is going to be girl heavy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Well, so far Inazuma is 1-1 (Ayaka and Scaramouche), so I'd expect about even split.

The lightning archon is supposed to be female too, and a huge chunk of the datamined characters that were pulled out of the files are women too.

They could have easily balanced thing a bit by having Xian be one of the 5 base characters and taken Qiqi or Keqing be in a banner but I guess they (correctly) thought people would get mad if the girls were limited over the boys.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Guess what I got from the standard banner when I hit a 5*. :shepface:

More incentive to roll for Zhongli then

Hopefully Rosaria is a 5* cause I want a higher stat crazy Battle Sister

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Squiddycat posted:

Is Qiqi the only person who puts Liyue collectables on your radar?

Yes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Xun posted:

How does sacrificial sword work with xingqiu anyway? I thought it seemed kinda overkill like having sacrificial fragments on barb but everyone is saying he wants it

You want it to use it twice immediately so that he has near constant uptime on his burst.

Sac weapons are great because of the energy generation, I don’t need to run two ice units to have Diana’s burst on all the time, I don’t need two water units to have XQs. With my current comp I’m just cycling through bursts all the time

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

moush posted:

Pleasantly surprised by the story/writing for this event. I can only hope that Mihoyo is able to keep up the development speed so people don't get bored and drop off.

I'm torn on Zhongli because Geo is just not a competitive element considering how vital reactions are to doing damage and a piddly shield doesn't really help much.

Geo can shatter so the idea would probably be to run XQ, Diona and or Chong with Zhongli to improve the damage.

Probably wont hit as hard as Diluc Chong melt comp but you get the added benefit of the damage bypassing resistances and the geo shields giving you extra heft

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A bunch of units like Diona and XQ sort of need sacrificial weapons to really go from ok to great. Diona has the same behavior with the bow, her E shots all have an independent chance of triggering it the cooldown reset so they always reset when you charge shot. Shooting twice will fill up your bar pretty quickly as long as you have a bit of energy recharge. So you have near constant access to her field.

For fights against ice mobs where your field isnt as important you can stagger the charged Es to maximize the effect of the shield. It can tank a lot as long as diona has some health.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I already have him is it worth it for his c1?

His C1 is very worth it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No Wave posted:

Having owned both, not really. I don't see it as a huge upgrade. The only upside of it is that it is an upgrade on one of the best/most useful units in the game which makes it more valuable than most other purchases by default.

I think removing the conditional element of his burst and adding even more attack on it is worth way more than just about any other 4* the game has released so far other than XQ. A lot of the lists put him at the top even above a lot of 5* and they all seem to make the distinction of him having C1 whereas other characters are at 0.

So if you have glitter, have XQ or XQ isnt the next glitter character, use bennet constantly, then get that C1.

Ashenai posted:

That's not what I mean, I mean that instead of buying the character for 34, you could use 35 starglitter to buy 7 pulls instead. So when you buy a character, you're giving up those 7 pulls.

I dont think you are going to miss all those 3* weapons. A character or constellation are worth more than that. Pinpointing important constellations, in absence of a universal constellation upgrade for 4* and 5*, is worth more than spinning the roulette. Delaying an offbanner/banner pull by 7 pulls is not nearly as bad as missing out key characters or constellations

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 24, 2020

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How would a half resin event even work with condensed resin? Would you get 4x times the loot in domains and twice the loot against bosses?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

it doesnt drop primos, it gives an achievement for killing it that gives primos

I found mine in the village in liyue

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pulled a skyward blade with the shops regular banner pulls. Pretty happy, would have preferred Aquila for Jean but Skyward is fine.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kild posted:

They wanted to use her as a support for some reason when it was clear she was a good fire carry.

I mean her burst being usable like a fire version of XQ would have been sick nasty but most people played her down because her auto attacks deal less damage than other carries and she has really clunky feel to her. No one knew at the time that she was a gremlin that always had to be jumping or stutter stepping.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hipster Occultist posted:

After playing Zhongli in his quest his playstyle didn't really grab me, so I decided to see if I could get a C1 for Childe with the few hours that were remaining on the banner.

My pity got me a Jean instead. I know she's rated highly, but how good is she really? Would I be better off running her as support or as physical dps?

She works fine as either a healing support or as a secondary carry if you stack enough phys damage. I play her like a sort of paladin, tanky bruiser that can soak up damage when I know I wont be able to dodge a mechanic and flash heal the entire party with her Q. I might swap out her offensive gear now that I got skyward and slap my ventis viridescent in for her instead so shes full support.

Her E is really fun too and useful tool. You can snap things out casting so you prevent enemies from re-applying their shields, you can knock enemies up and if they have a lot of health they take 20-30k fall damage, she can suck poo poo and hold them while other people hurt them.

Really missed opportunity from the developers not to have one her constellations grant her Q the ability to suck poo poo in with each swirl pulse. It would have really made her insane.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 1, 2020

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I thought that if they ever added "alter" characters in the game they could add a "Liontooth Jean" thats just a pure offense version of her but then I remembered that the whole Liontooth/Dandelion wordplay is completely lost in english. She doesn't have two titles like the english localization suggests, she only has one that gets mangled by english into two.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly the best thing to do is give the characters a test run to see if you enjoy playing them more than anything. I wish the test runs had more varied teams so you could really give things a shake with more reactions and such but as you play more and get more characters you start getting a better feel if things will synergize well.

If I dont enjoy playing Zhongli it will seriously cut my desire to roll in the banner since I'm close to pity. I really want constellations for Razor too since I enjoy playing him though and he's my second carry.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'd always think double geo would be super strong with damage that dont give any fucks about reactions but its just not viable currently in a lot of content that puts you against 3 different types of fatui unless they add an universal fatui shield stripper character or add some sort of reaction that neutralizes shields regardless of element. Like geo + dendro or something stupid.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

3 single pulls into the banner and it flashes gold, and Im screaming mad thinking I got Zhlong instead Diluc popped up. I dont see myself using him anytime soon but guaranteeing the next to be on banner is a good thing. So I decided to do more pulls now that thats out of the way, pulled the girl after like 30 pulls but not a single Razor. But two Chong constellations means I might opt to use him as my non fire carry.

Ive got Wolfs Gravestone AND Skyward Pride

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 2, 2020

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly I had the most fun with Xinyan in her trials, I can see building her to be a good carry at high constellation

No Wave posted:

Hard choice but I think skyward pride is way cooler.

Yeah I'm thinking pride for chong. And maybe a few months from now when I have enough resources I can run Diluc + Chong melt comps.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Jesus how much money are you guys even putting into this?
Like I don't think there's enough primos in the game to get 2 pities.

If you pay the 5 bucks a month, dont skip on a single days daily and rerolled at the start of the game you should have between 2-3 5* characters.

I dolphined but not on characters, I spent it on the sac weapon banner.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mailer posted:

This is specifically the AR40 version. All electric slimes and my carry is fire. If the AR45 one is all fire mages, sweet.

I still use my klee on the 40 one, because I just burst things down and swap to jean to take the hit.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tsyni posted:

I just use Klee to eat the shields, plus Jean's field to keep her alive. You only need to get the shield down then use whoever to finish. I use XQ and Jean to toss and then water spike the mages once their shields are down. Those are abyss mages btw.

Edit: my full comp for that one is Klee, Xingqiu, Fischl, and Jean.

This was my comp till I got Diona. Fischl is still way more damage but diona with sac bow lets me constantly cycle through bursts. I'm effectively immortal as long as the character doesnt get one shotted. Just swap out klee for razor when things dont play nice with fire.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AAB posted:

what would make for a good 3rd and 4th with Zhongli and Klee? Feeling Fischl and Xingqiu?

That or another fire like Xianling instead of Fischl if you have her constellations that let her shred fire res that way you gain the fire bonus too. XQ is too good with Klee to not use

Fischl is nice as a carry for when you cant kill things with fire, so is phys xianling but not to that extent I think.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I haven't used Venti in a while but upon unlocking the last tier of domains I swapped him back in and drat does he trivialize them. Lets you punch way above your weight with the suck, cc and constant reactions. My team generates so many orbs that he can just cast it on cooldown every single time

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'd honestly whale for ganyu if she had quick application of frost for klee to exploit. Dont even care about the actual damage numbers since klee is a known factor

Im talking going for c2 at least

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This is not a collectathon gacha game, the rates just aren't there. The best way to play this is entirely F2P and rolling with the characters you can pull, its more challenging that way and legitimately can be funner than having a unit completely trivialize something. If you do like the game and would have more options available your best bet is spending the extra 5 bucks. Combined with dailies and other freebies you can expect around 40 pulls a month, that aint bad gacha wise for 5 bucks, its just that the rates for this game suck

But even if the rates suck, the sparking system doesn't. The probability to get a 5* skyrockets at the 70s mark and the pity carrying over through banner means you dont ever need to horde excessively. They have a trial system that lets you test out the characters before you even roll on them and story quests that let you bring in your own party as well. It gives you a good feel for the unit and whether or not you want to go in on them. Thats genuinely better than most other gacha games.