Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

R. Mute posted:

Can any French person shine a light on the whole freemason assassination squad thing that apparently also involves French soldiers and spooks?
Oh, nothing surprising. Good old boys from the dgse, all members of the same masonic lodge, decided it was time to murder a "bothersome workers representative" together and got caught like the loving fascistic idiots they were.

quote:

Also, did anything happen with those letters by those generals/soldiers threatening civil war or did life just move on?

I think it struck a nerve because we here in Belgium have a nazi soldier who ran off with a bunch of guns and literal RPGs who was going to assassinate our top virologist and attack a mosque or something. They did a whole manhunt and can't find him so life is sort of just moving on? He probably blew his brains out by now and is rotting in a ditch somewhere but still wth
I know i am late, but didn't they recently found that rear end in a top hat corpse in the wood?

Also good to know you guy caught up with boloré's assholery in africa. Some matérial for those who missed the last decade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIJOzB3YdpU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

what happened
Turns out that even fascists don't want to go vote on sunny week-ends (and/or lepen is just another mediocre politician), that on the regional level the presidential party doesn't exist (at least when it's not a classical case of "we elected that idiot, better elect that idiot parliament too"). I guess the french electorate like to try news thing from time to time, i am just not sure they like extreme centrism, you may want to try again in 40 years. Nearly every region reelected the current region's president and the parties of the 2 favorite for the next presidential election ate poo poo. Like if the next parliamentary election was with the same mold, macron's party would get like nearly no one elected. They have currently 55% of the parlement seat. If Macron, for some reason (like i don't know 5 years of insane unpopularity), doesn't end up president again, i am pretty sure i will see some centrist politicians commit suicide. Basically, the media spent a few years singing about a change in the political world with a new centrist versus fascist duality and the french electorate just said "no gently caress YOU, i prefer left versus right, you may add some green poo poo but gently caress you, really".

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Jun 28, 2021

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Horseshoe theory posted:

I thought in a few regions a bunch of parties pulled their candidates to ratfuck LePen by consolidating support to the leading non-LePen candidate?
You mean "to do what they always have been doing since the 70s"? Being a RN voter is liking being ratfucked, honestly. Also yeah, they didn't even won the Marseille region (PACA). They always consolidate vote there because the riviera is where all the racist rich old fucks move to (it's like french florida, if you prefer) and it's notoriously where the RN(formally FN) is the strongest (well beside Calais nowadays but we can thank the migration centers to England for that. gently caress you Theressa May and Nicolas Sarkozy, i guess.). Also the old communist party lost its last department.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Jun 28, 2021

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

If you want another funny spin, i have noticed that some part of the US press like to point out that despite his electoral non-victory, Macron is still more popular than t he previous two presidents... who were some of the most hated presidents ever. Sarkozy was in the 30% range and Hollande (in part for applying Macron's economic policies but also betraying many beliefs of his own party) was in the one digit range.
Also Eric Zemmour, a far right-wing polemicist/trash person, who is bassicaly French Ben Shappiro but over 5'5'' and with Algerian jew origin, decided to push his candidacy to the next presidential election. He probably felt the weakness in Le Pen position. So don't be surprised if she doesn't end up in the second round, because even if he doesn't too, he will surely steal some votes.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Jul 3, 2021

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Red and Black posted:

Uh, so is Le Pen within striking distance of the presidency? Because it sure seems so
It's a two rounds electoral system. None of that first after the post poo poo here.
Fyi to be elected after just the first round, she would need 50+% of the vote. Otherwise the second round pit the two biggest scores of the first round. And there is always a national union vote against FN/RN in the second round but not surprisingly it's less and less effective each time: Chirac got elected at 82%, Macron at 66%.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Jul 3, 2021

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

why don't melenchon, jadot and hidalgo just unify and try to get to the 2nd round that way
i know, i know, ego, each one wants to be the president and so on but for christ's sake, maybe just try and sort some poo poo out for once
FYI the last time the left won a presidential election was Mitterand's re-election and he only won the first time because of the union of the left (which is seen as the doom of the communist party by everyone). Melenchon is Mitterand's last apostle and people fears he would gently caress their parties in the same with a victory (considering that not going behind him last time is what killed the PS last cycle*, it's actually super ironic). Also Jardot is a green liberal and Hidalgo a woman from the PS. So yeah, not going to happen. Also you can be sure that the same rightwingers (who said that if the leftists who wouldn't vote for their conservative candidate during Chirac/Lepen are facist) would vote for lepen in a heartbeat if it was LePen/anything left of their candidate. On the other hand by encouraging an unpopular president like macron for the second round, the foreign press boost lepen's chance, honestly. A lot of people won't go vote for macron no matter who is the opponent after the last 4 years. The right way to weaken lepen is having more far-right candidate during the first round (and last time we had pretty bad attempts including frexit man) so she doesn't end up in the second round. You can be sure Lepen and her horde will accuse Zemmour to be exactly there for that reason. And to be honest, they may as well be right, it won't change anything.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pardot posted:

is this the guy whose last name starts with "rear end"?

François Asselineau. In favor of France's unilateral withdrawal from the European Union, the Eurozone and NATO. 0.95% of the vote (332,547 people).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dreddout posted:

The french went elsewhere, but they chose en marche. Never understood their logic "we hate the crypto neoliberal ps so we'll elect the openly neoliberal party"

I don't get lrem's appeal. If they elected LePen I could at least understand in the opposite direction after Hollande's betrayal.

Obviously they figured out they hate macron and his I'll pretty quickly. That just begs the question why the electorate didn't they expect macron to govern exactly as he said he would govern.

It's mostly because it was an alternative to the "good old main rightwing and leftwing parties" that wasn't LePen. Of course they could vote Melenchon but hey "my family wealth!"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Okay always double the official number and yeah probably around 250k people manifested. See those dumb bitches weren't expecting Macron to impose the covid passport to go to restaurants, cinemas and most places worst visiting during your vacations. So now we got nearly 2 millions people signing for the vaccine just after the announce and thousands of insanely dumb dickhead walking down the street, crying "freedom", "freedom". But you are free not to get vaccinated. Just loving stay at home Typhoid Mary. Also many people are complaining the list for vaccine are too full now but even lazy me who took all the time in the world to get my shoots got it without trouble and i got my second one at the start of the month. So why the gently caress did you wait that long, it's open since at least 3 months.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There are some side cases where it is difficult to get vaccinated making this an issue.
Yes there are a few places who were hosed over because of a few unfit doctors. Sorry to learn it was your wife case. No one needs that poo poo.
But in most case here, it 's because people weren't expecting to have to vaccinate despite everyone telling them to since the beginning of the year.
Also yeah it fucks over the people who were sick at the beginning of the vaccination period. Still a large amount of the people complaining are giant lazy self-centered douche, not the people who should complain really.

quote:

That said the amount of anti vaxxers in France never ceases to surprise me.
We didn't become the country of Descartes and rationalism because our citizens were hyper-rational Vulcans, we are supposedly the "country of rationalism" because we were full as gently caress of the most insane catholic smooth brains and someone needed to get us out of there. Same way we are the "country of the human rights". It's not a medal, it's because we loving weren't nice with each other. <insert saint barthelomew's massacre painting here to illustrate both point>

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 09:43 on Jul 18, 2021

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah even with Zemmour sanitising Le Pen and the left splitting it's wild how badly Macron has failed.
It's not, not after nearly one year of the Yellow Jackets and two of COVID.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

it looks like macron is far ahead enough that he’s very likely to sail smoothly to re-election unless lepen can magically make up a five point difference in round 2. Jupiter would be most pleased.

Strong "surely Hillary will beat Trump" energy here. Hope you are right. I wish i could read all the poo poo people will write on their bulletin next round.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Ben inscris-toi pour être scrutateur ! Tu n’es même pas obligé.e, tu peux juste observer les opérations de dépouillement. Parfois ils sont intéressants, les bulletins nuls, mais je sais pas si ça vaut le coup d’entendre les noms des candidats égrenés par les scrutateurs, surtout ces deux-là.
Ouais, j'ai assisté au dépouillement aux dernières présidentielles : Le Pen a gagné dans ma station de vote avec 53% des votes. I guess i will just follow the dépouillement on twitter, hoping for a different result.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Le Pen will win
She could also do a repeat of the previous presidential debate against Macron and look like a total idiot once again, in which case she could lose by a 3-4% margin. It's gonna be close anyway and yes Macron could pull a Hillary. Can't wait for the upcoming 2 weeks of the press calling her a Putin pawn. I mean she is but for gently caress sake, Fillon is currently working for a Russian group. Oh and Benalla works for a Russian oligarch.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^ Also french right-wingers tend to always support people already in place, from my purely subjective experience. Also she was the left-wing of the right wing and she pivoted toward and then away to and from the more conservative positions and it's quite confusing.

Ardennes posted:

It seemed both Le Pen and Macron preformed pretty close to expectations, while Melenchon did much better and the Republicans much worse. It seems like the second round will be about which way the left goes.
If you want something to laugh at: Precresse literally spent the last month going around saying that her program was better than Macron's program. Which may be actually the case but anyway, the obvious question about this claim is "who give a poo poo?" and the election result are the answer.

Edit: her program was poo poo and the only thing i remember is the part where she says she will only allow new wind turbines if "everyone agree". Like there isn't some fucktard everywhere against them because they will apparently "ruin the countryside's look".

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 08:58 on Apr 12, 2022

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

I haven't been following french candidates, so all i know about Mélenchon is he did a tupac like hologram appearance but why do some people call him a nationalist?
Because those people are loving crazy far right trolls. Asselineau did attack Mélenchon by saying he had become a "nationalist" but Asselineau is "mister Frexit" and got a 0.98% result during the previous presidential election. It's a "crazy old man shout at clouds, call them nationalists" kind of thing.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

some other euro communists or leftists
You know you can just say Trotskyist.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

How come Corse is fash?
Tons of "les arabes dehors" tags around.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

The people switching from Macron to Le Pen and vice versa are something else.
There is a small portion of the electorate that will always vote like people bet on horse in a horse race. They loving need to vote for who they think will be the obvious winner even if it's a loving ELECTION and it's not the point.
Edit: there is a video of Asselinneau making the round where he "appelle à faire barrage à Macron". What a great troll candidate.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 08:47 on Apr 14, 2022

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

YaketySass posted:

what's Boobelineau's take
Generally when it's Le Pen or her party in a second round people call for a democratic barrage/alliance of all parties against her/them. Of course mister "let's get out of the Euro, Europe and Nato" is now calling for a barrage against Macron.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Le Pen really that bad of a candidate that she can't beat Macron?

Does she lack that "Trump charisma"?
*Make huge moves with her hands*
https://i.imgur.com/7IG9tKj.mp4

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

Is Macron going to declare himself emperor this term
And miss all the really lucrative post-presidency speeches to mentally challenged bankers? Depends on how well his party do this legislative cycle, which is probably not going to be nearly as good as last time. If it's pretty bad he may tempted to attempt a dissolution later this presidential cycle, but what do i know.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 10:28 on Apr 25, 2022

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Which is quite the long shot. I don't think there has been an executive/legislative split in twenty years.
Yeah most likely scenario is EM allying with the classical rightwing parties and them spending 5 years cannibalizing each other while the country burns.
I sure wish to see the rightwingers who spent the last 30 years telling everyone we had too many beds in hospitals (we will never need that many!) back to power. After all, do you know how much the ecological transition would cost????? :suicide:
Also they (read Chirac) changed the presidential term from 7 to 5 years in a constitutional referendum which got a 30% turnout. Like gently caress that poo poo, no one was gonna vote no when the Lepens were the only one to call for No. Of course today, most political analysts recognize it was a mistake.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

It may not be the actual same people but rightwingers who want to cut hospital beds are in power. They've never stopped doing it during the pandemic.
Yeah more reason not to let them regroup with the original bedslayers...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Can't wait for the few local EM/RN to start calling for people to vote for the RN/EM candidate on the second turn to prevent the leftist to win.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Filthy Hans posted:

the best French restaurants in the world are in Brussels, Belgium
Really courageous of you to fight the Flemish claims on Brussels.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 13:08 on May 7, 2022

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah, some of the people who were whining like dumb bitches about Mélenchon not telling everyone to vote Macron are now not calling for people to vote NUPES against Le Pen's party. You know which ones. Also record abstention (on the level of a "average participation" score in the US).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

genericnick posted:

I guess not that surprising. NUPES spans across quite a few pretty controversial topics. Pro and anti NATO, pro and anti nuclear power...
Yeah, centrists are super salty about the NATO subject being even mentioned but it's not like Joe Biden's brilliant demonstration of typical US leadership is impressing anyone. Even the pro-atlantist bitched after the submarine 60 billions Euros loss (now that's a big 600$ check). And now it's Ukraine Time.
Edit: i think a lot of people in Europe are waiting for Biden to be out of politics to share the full nature of their endless love for him. Also why the gently caress are you correcting pro-atlantist into pro-atlantis, phone.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 10:42 on Jun 13, 2022

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Today, in pointless France news, well so the Americans just shat the western world's bed again and politicians in France are now thinking that putting the right to abortion into the constitution is a "good idea"* but people are discovering that a similar constitutional change was proposed twice already during the few last years and Macron's party voted against it because "it wasn't needed, we have more serious thing to do, it's not in danger, is it?". Typical liberal poo poo. They now want to vote for it, after voting against it, twice.

*You know to tell the extremely rich Americans spending million into trying to change the laws in foreign country to gently caress off.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

i say swears online posted:

what does a vote of no confidence in france mean? if the assembly falls, will new elections be unlinked from the presidential elections from now on? right now they're usually within a couple months of each other

i guess it would take a new majority to dissolve the assembly under their own will to coincide with the next presidential elections, but only if they want to?
Yeah, it mostly means the president will suggest a new prime minister and hope that enough people in the opposition vote for them. He may try another election by dissolving parliament but LOL. It will be closer to Russian roulette than a good idea. And Le Pen hopes he will do it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

i say swears online posted:

so macron would have to call for new elections, not a vote of no confidence from the opposition? what's the point of a VONC then?
If he wants the country to have a government, yes. The VONC is about removing his current prime minister and if after that he fails to find a new one (who the parliament accepts), force in to call for a new parliament. But who cares, RN didn't vote "no confidence", so the prime minister is still there.
e: or you know he could believe himself to be the king of Belgium and not have a government for a few years.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 11:02 on Oct 25, 2022

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

You mean LR didn't vote, the RN ended up doing it after all.
My bad, let me clarify that boring part of parliamentary procedure: there were at first one, then two, then three different censorship motions put on the same 49.3 by the presidency over the law proposed by the government,
First motion was yesterday:
NR did vote for the first NUPES one(239 on 289 needed): NR+NUPES votes:
Today:
The second one, the RN one only got 90 votes of their votes (no NUPES)
Then the third motion was put by the leftwing again and RN didn't vote for it. <- i only saw the results of the third one so yeah, you are right, LR is kinda the decisive factor.

That's btw four "motions de censure" in four months.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 13:54 on Oct 25, 2022

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

LOL EM politicians spent the day on tv reminding people they can always vote against them during the next election and that violence would be bad. You can smell the fear.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Gotcha.

The few gendarmes I've had encounters with were decent enough people as troops can be at times when they've gone in for economic reasons. On the other hand, the cops I've met here have just been cops, wholly unlikeable individuals tripping on their minor power. Maybe there's something about it being a civilian run service that just makes them run mad with power, whereas the military discipline or mercenary nature of their enlistment makes those gendarmes I met not completely awful.
Also we tend not to have "local cops&sheriffs", only a national police force, unless the mayor is a dickhead with too much public money in a big city full of scared bourgeois and want a municipal police force.50% of them are armed (flashbang and tasers mostly but there are some guns and it's far more common in far right cities on the Riviera like Toulon than in eastern cities for example and it goes as well as you think it does), most of them just deal with illegal parking and scaring kids away from rich old ladies. Some of them even dies with a gun in their hands because they watched too many US TV showS and tried to arrest bankrobbers aka people that use rocket launchers to open armored bank vehicles. There are exception like Paris where the municipal police is under the Paris Prefect because of anti-terrorist mesures and also because there were historical events linked to Paris mayorship (something called the commune) that makes local mayors with armed troops cause some level of angst in most governments.
Gendarmerie is an old regime vestige it inherited the duty of the royal Maréchaussée and it's basically there for centralization reasons (to prevent local policing). Gendarmerie is military and manages rural areas while the national police manages urban areas. The French National police was created in 1941 by Pétain, dissolved at the Liberation and recreated in 1966 by De Gaulle.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Mar 24, 2023

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

the impression i got was that the gendarmes were more "guy with an unpleasant and sometimes violent job" types whereas the police were more "will hurt people for fun and got a job where the hobby makes you a living" types

is this accurate?
Well, most of the time when you hear about them, Gendarmes are military people getting shot at by angry hunters and/or farmers or guys who just killed their wife and family and just want to commit suicide by gendarmes. Meanwhile Policemen generally manage to kill people with Taser, blind people with flash balls and/or manage to get caught on cam betting a North-African man inside his home for daring breathing in their presence, or are just caught saying/writing racist/sexist/homophobic things. Or you know scaring kids so much they run into an electric utility box to hide die. Also good old knee in the back until you die. So yeah but it's because the environment is so different it's hard to get ton of poo poo on Gendarmes. It's a campaign mouses versus urban rats thing i guess.
edit: and most famous failed judicial investigation stories start with "So the Gendarmes were so totally inept that..."

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Mar 25, 2023

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Oglethorpe posted:

gendarmerie are generally part of a federalized police force, sort of like a mix between US National Guard and US Marshals but can be deployed for policing purposes. More disciplined, typically less psychopathic than local police failpersons, still responsible for putting down public government dissent.

they're part of an evolution of policing i think, from when roman guardsmen became more generalized and localized in western society. The US never had them because US marshals were runaway slave hunters and evolved somewhat independantly to city cops and sheriffs. other countrys just had the military to deal with its citizens, and they evolved into the gendarmerie
Yes history of policing in France is : roman armored troops manages everything -> Maréchausé (royal army guys) manages everything -> Maréchausé getting nothing done because they must be in uniform all the time and are therefor easy to spot, starts using criminal as information source ("mouche")->Maréchausé iIs renamed Gendarmerie by King-> French Revolution -> Napoleon's Paris security force(La Sureté) starts hiring criminals as officers because it "works" -> Former Convict become leader of Sureté and it becomes the first police force, do mostly political police stuff -> Former Convict get kicked out of police because of the restoration, forms first private detective agency in the world, share techniques with Scotland Yard officers and Pinkerton people, is actual inspiration for both Javert and Jean Valjean (also a large numbers of other french literature characters) -> French police spends decade pretending he wasn't their first leader.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Mar 25, 2023

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

In case you are wondering how it is going here, we are currently in the "actually it's Melenchon who is the facist" twitter campaign phase of operation "capitalism must be saved", obviously with an alliance with the far right.
Also Macron hopes that opening a debate about end of life (finally allowing euthanasia in France as the population get super-old) is going to allow him to bounce back outside the retirement age pit of despair and that this debate isn't going to go loving insane and ends up with a referendum going in a really weird way just because people on the right wants him to gently caress off, hate the idea of people not suffering until they die and may be able convince people on the left that it would accelerate him going away (it won't). Also there was a referendum in Paris about allowing or forbidding free access electric scooters in the streets and Paris ended up the first major city forbidding free access scooters in its street. With a 92% of the votes against and under 10% participation. You can imagine what the people already blaming the female mayor over things she has little power over (like the waste collector trash strike which is 2000% macron fault) are now saying over that vote.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Popoto posted:

how many body language specialist tripped over themselves in a rush to compare melanchon to hitler and khrushchev at the same time, i wonder?
Not many, body language is a dumb science for dumb Americans, we just had an army of poor man "philosophers" magically appear on all tv channels during the 1970s (including BHL). They were called the "new philosophers", they spent years arguing that wanting to solve economical inequality was the moral equivalent of building concentration camps. Most of them are dead after becoming right-wing speakers(LOL Glucksmann's position on Iraq was something like the quadature of the circle). Only BHL stayed a really dumb by-the-book liberal.

vvv water boiling or oil boiling? this is important.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 14:38 on Apr 3, 2023

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

eSports Chaebol posted:

now handwriting analysis on the other hand,
:haibrow: but at least it gives a job to people too dumb to be astrologist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Aurélien Pradié: The rising star shaking up French politics
LOL, les républicains.