Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t mind “this apple tart recipe is in honor of my grandfather, the gardener. Let me tell you his story...” pages so long as they have the “jump to recipe” button easily visible at the top of the page that I will invariably miss until I visit the site at a later date :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I mash my avocado on top of sourdough toast for breakfast to own the olds.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Texas got hosed by ice and the grocery stores are getting back in shape, but absolutely nowhere stable enough to plan on ingredients being on the shelf. This shopping trip will be a good test of my ability to shop by my gut and make a good meal without a recipe to follow.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

This is interesting to me because I never make a shopping list and always just see what looks good or is on sale etc when I'm there. I assumed most people do the same but maybe I'm in the irresponsible minority.

Eh, different strokes for different folks. I’ve always gone recipe->shopping even after I got to a point where I’m comfortable in the kitchen. Shopping based on quality is probably smarter, but it’s not something I’ve worked on.

Plus I’m always dumb and shop on weekends, so I like having my route planned out so I can zoom through the store and avoid crowds :)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m officially a boomer retailer and didn’t realize the power of social media influence. One of those recipe tiktok accounts posted a baked feta pasta video and that week’s feta sales jumped 175% above trend.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A shop in my hometown sells pre popped jalapeño cheddar and caramel corn. It doesn’t beat fresh stuff, but I’ll eat a whole barrel of that there corn.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

At the request of my wife, I made soufflés last night. They were delicious, but now I can’t stop thinking about how a handful of extra ingredients and tweaking some steps turns a cheese soufflé into a plate of biscuits and sausage gravy with cheesy scrambled eggs on the side.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hopdoddys has an impossible burger on their menu. I got it and thought it was good, but then I had a bite of my wife’s normal cheeseburger and it blew the impossible burger away. The impossible one tasted like a “beef” burger you’d get at a summer camp cafeteria.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Yeah papa John’s does the garlic dip which is probably melted I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter and garlic salt.

Hell yeahI put that all over my pizza as a kid. I also snagged the random pepperoncini they threw in there.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

i worked 3rd shift in New england for a good number of years and drank a shitload of dunkin coffee to stay awake. dd's was the only option for caffeine. dunkin coffee is almost always burnt and bitter imo. a hot "regular" is palatable, and i was a pack-a-day smoker then too so it isnt like i had ot have a sensitive palete. seriously, a "double-double" is a pretty normal order in my neck of the woods

https://youtu.be/FSvNhxKJJyU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hawkperson posted:

I made this recipe last night except instead of bothering to grate a garlic clove I added an entire head’s worth of whole cloves and basically I just don’t understand why italian-ish recipes that are roasted just don’t say “throw in a bunch of whole garlic, it’s the loving best”

Like why would I do extra prep work in order to NOT have whole roasted garlic, idk

Their immortal vampire overlords look unfavorably on the liberal use of garlic.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

DekeThornton posted:

I should get around to making Jose Andres cheater version, with potato chips. Has anyone tried it?

If I ever come across Funyuns, whatever that is, over here I'll use them for something else though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK5aIaKG8O4

Funyuns tasty like crispy fried onion powder. They’re terrible, and also great.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

A shocking number of 'secret family recipes' are stuff like the cookie recipe off the back of the tollhouse chocolate chip bag. They're generally tested recipes if not super exciting.

https://youtu.be/S3STSEzUnEc

On another note, does anyone have a reliable biscuit recipe?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t know if it was this thread, but thanks to whoever recommended the ATK tv show cookbook. This thing is an insane amount of recipes for $20.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Veritek83 posted:

There's also research in the last ten years or so about gas appliances being linked to measurably higher rates of asthma and other respiratory issues, particularly among children. I've been thinking about replacing my electric range with gas, but having read through some of the stuff, I'm thinking I may just get an outdoor burner to use occasionally and go induction in the kitchen.

I’ve seen this bubbling around, which I hate since we’re full gas. Ideally we’d switch to an induction stove/electric oven, but that’s going to spill into a full blown kitchen remodel and those are hard enough to do when the supply chain and contractor markets are normal.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is Jeni’s ice cream good? I’m getting influenced on social media but also side eye advertising on social media.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Well now I’m going to have to head to Whole Foods and get some :mad:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Okay Jeni’s is great. My wallet does not appreciate this fact.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My wife got me a bunch of fun baking stuff for my birthday so I was gearing up for a weekend of lemon meringue pie and biscuits. The oven igniter went out yesterday and the replacement parts won’t get here until Wednesday at the earliest :(

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Yeah the oven switches on and off to regulate heat, apparently there’s a switch that only releases gas when it senses a metal bit in the electronic igniter has gotten enough amps to be hot enough to ignite the gas. Since the wires used to heat the metal bit failed, the gas switch won’t operate let gas out. Or something like that. No pilot light from what I’ve seen.

Regardless, it’d be a pain to get everything disassembled enough to light the oven if I could get the gas going. Pie can wait, it’s Girl Scout cookie season and I have thin mints in the freezer.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

You mentioned queso but didn’t talk about velveeta and rotel? Idgi those are the only 2 ingredients.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The thermopop is $35 and has been one of my go-to gifts for people. It upped my Dad’s steak game considerably.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The food poisoning I got from a pizza place was a monkey paw situation because I thought “I’m trying to lose some weight, I’ll order a salad and a slice instead of 2 slices.”

I did look rather trim after the 48 hours of body cleansing and limited eating that followed.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Has anyone else run into bad chicken breasts? Setting aside the “yes, every time I eat a chicken breast :v:” joke, every so often I get a breast with extreme rubbery texture issues even though it was cooked the same way and to the same internal temp as breasts that come out perfect.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gross. Thanks all.

I never really noticed it until Covid, but that’s also when we switched to curbside services so I haven’t picked out my own chicken in years. Maybe the meat plants also stopped pulling out obvious bad breasts due to staffing issues and the fact that it won’t stop people from buying chicken.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

The two hot sauce brands I will always shill for are Humble House and Yellowbird. I haven't had anything from either that was heavy on the vinegar, and neither one is on the Scoville express elevator, which I appreciate.

Yellowbird is great, I always have a bottle in my fridge.

Secret aardvark has a more unique flavor but it slaps in a big bowl of pinto beans.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I just waste a ton of it by cutting a chunk of root into a nice square or rectangle and chopping from there.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Skin on shriveled nuts is fine, but I still avoid the very ends of a banana.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My first drunken bite of a honey butter chicken biscuit from whataburger is one of my top 3 bites of food ever, and I don’t think it’s #3.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I need to get back on my tomato sauce game. My grocery store started stocking Rao’s around the time our baby started eating real food and she’s all in on pasta, so I always have a jar or two on hand for quick dinners.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Can concur, been a good pan

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sweet potato and peanut soup is a good one

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Walla posted:

Anyone know anything about apples?

I'm not the biggest fan of them, but I usually have 1 with my lunch every day for the fiber and vitamins and it keeps me away from candy. But I don't like Red Delicious or Granny Smith, and Honeycrisp are starting to be too sweet. I want something tart but not bitter, preferably something I can find at most American supermarkets.

I've tried Pink Lady and Fuji, and they're ok. I really want something as tart as a cranberry but I'm not sure if that exists, and I'm on the wrong coast for fresh cranberries to be common.

Cranapple juice.

As far as apples go, I know you said Honeycrisp are starting to be too sweet, but SweetTango apples are an incredible honeycrisp hybrid.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What’s your favorite burner on your stove, and why is it the front right burner?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Went looking for cornstarch at Publix yesterday and was told they had been out of it for several weeks. Haven't checked any other stores but is this the first supply chain disruption thing of 2023, or what?

We can’t find dark brown sugar right now

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m choosing to willfully suppress the stupid cooking poo poo I did when I was younger and instead going to remember how my roommate would tell people I was a great cook because it always smelled great when I was making dinner.

Everything I cooked back then started with butter, garlic, and onion.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

therattle posted:

The issue being?

Oh it’s not an issue, I liked being thought of as a good cook because I knew onions smell good with butter and garlic.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Are zucchini noodles out of the question/been done to death already?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We had a similar-ish experience with a recent meal train. Most meals were tasty enough and much appreciated for giving us time back with our newborn, but we preferred our normal cooking.

Then a mom dropped off a meal where one bite was enough for us to go “Oh. Ohhhhhhh. That lady can cook.” It wasn’t anything extravagant, just chicken, rice, and green beans done exceedingly well. She’s the local curve buster for potlucks as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’ve slept on homemade falafel for too long. The hand cranked processor substitute I use couldn’t blitz everything fine enough to hold a shape, but we eventually got solid pan fried patties after tripling the flour in the recipe. The cooling rack examples went from Fail, Awful to passable falafel by the time the mix ran out.

Exponentially better and cheaper than the falafel options at nearby salad chains.