Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Scan while you shop is the way to go folks. You bag it all up as you go around the supermarket and there’s never any real queues, and it saves an absurd amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Dead Goon posted:

So you can gently caress about scanning and bagging things while other people are trying to get stuff from the shelves you're stood in front of?

Eh? The process of taking something off the shelf, scanning it and placing it in the bag takes literally seconds, and then you move on.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We really need a new media format, we're still on discs when barely anything has an optical drive anymore. Just put everything on a Switch cartridge with a USB-C connector and that's physical media sorted for another decade, you could even put them in your phone.

I appreciate that this isn't advantageous to companies never having to sell you something that you can own forever and as such isn't going to happen, but I can dream.

I think the balkanisation of streaming services has stopped physical media from dying out completely, much in the same way that piracy has seen a massive resurgence.

Blu rays don’t tend to suddenly vanish from your catalogue because a licence agreement has expired.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My feeling is he's actively stupid. He seems exactly the sort of boss who decides that as things aren't working he'll go in and fix it himself, but is too lazy to actually read the file and understand what is going on so just fucks it up even more.

I refuse to believe that Johnson is smart enough to understand how tariffs work.

The boss of a kitchen manufacturer I used to work for did exactly this at one point. He got a real bee in his bonnet about the production line slowing or stopping while they waited for pre order confirmation from site developers. Pre orders were kitchens planned in based on the dimensions and specs of individual plots, and were used to forecast and plan the production line. They wouldn’t actually be built until the site confirmed the preorder as correct, as sometimes things would change as the plots were built; walls and ceilings could move, extra things might get added etc. It was very common for a preorder to get amendments and then confirmed so production could go ahead.

Anyway he decided with his big rich boss brain that we would build the kitchens to the preorders to ensure the production line ran constantly without any slows or stoppages. Which over the course of a few months led to two things.

First the sites weren’t ready, so completed units filled up the warehouse and any other space they could go. The company ended up renting another unit out so they could store more units. It also meant warehouse staff spent huge amounts of time wheeling pallets around, as you had to move about 6 pallets each time you wanted to reach the one you wanted. Ultimately the production line ground to a complete halt in the end, because there was literally to put any more completed units.

The second was about half the plots had amendments come in. Normally this wasn’t a problem, as the preorder would just get amended and then the kitchen built. Except these had all been built to preorder measurements, and were now totally useless. About half the built kitchens had to be scrapped and made again.

So the whole “build to preorder” idea was quietly scrapped a few weeks after the poo poo hit the fan, and all he achieved was wasting huge amounts of time, money and resources.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

TACD posted:

I really want this to be Howdens just because it would fit so well with the stories I’ve heard about them

Nah wasn’t them, this company was very small by ultimately very profitable.

Didn’t stop them shedding a ton of staff including me when the brexit effect hit the fan and the construction industry in London ground to a halt.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

This year is the first Christmas that my partner and I are celebrating by ourselves and the only turkeys I could find anywhere were large and expensive.

Ended up buying a duck in the end, cheaper and will probably still get a couple of dinners out of it. Planning to honey roast it so should be quite nice.

Tesco has whole lobsters going for £7 each which I’ve never had before and it’s really tempting to try. I’ve spent £7 on worse things before.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I had to drive to Ashford last Saturday for my cars MOT while the Op Brock testing was active. Going down the single counterflow lane at 50 wasn’t bad, but you would only need one breakdown or crash and the whole thing comes to a grinding halt.

What was funny was seeing the people who obviously didn’t see all the massive signs telling them where to go and were stuck with all the continental freight traffic crawling at 30 on the southbound carriageway.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hiding from a deadly force of nature while brainless, smiling humanoids try to stop me from breathing is not really escapism right now.

You and I are going to have a little talk about safety.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lobster God posted:

So, I have a limited budget and I've pretty much exhausted the single player variants of my board game collection. Never gamed a huge amount, but having seen hbomberguy's latest I'm tempted to try New Vegas. Would it be staggeringly stupid to buy a used PS3 and a copy of the game?

Bethesda really neglected the PS3 as a platform - you’d be better off getting a used Xbox 360 and getting New Vegas on that. Still buggy but performance is superior.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Merry Christmas everyone and stay safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Happy new year to all of you folks, and as vain as it might be, hoping that 2021 turns out better.

In the same spirit as Eel Man from a few pages back, I had a hearty chuckle reading this news article from people in Kent who are utterly shocked that all the things "Project Fear" warned would happen, are in fact happening.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/living-in-the-shadow-of-brexits-customs-clearance-sites-239412/

quote:

Lorries will still be held on the Sevington plot if there is disruption at the ports

But neighbours living nearby who have already faced disruption during the construction programme fear it will only get worse when the site opens.

Rick Martin, chairman of Sevington with Finberry parish council, said earlier this year how people are concerned about what effect the project will have on house prices and quality of life.

He said: "Brexit was the will of local people – 59% in Ashford voted Leave, in line with 59% in Kent overall – and many are now sadly realising the reality of what their vote entailed for their local area.

Kent could get hit by a nuke and people would still be concerned about their house prices.