Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

peanut- posted:

I legit don't understand this tweet. What is she trying to say?
That Labour shouldn't waste its effort opposing the deportation of British citizens.

Or, more charitably: that people in the North do not care about the issue, as evidenced by Tory MPs not caring about the issue. This is the most charitable, value-neutral reading I can muster, and is still horrible.

e(fb):

forkboy84 posted:

Northerns are dumb racists who are mad Labour are wasting time on racism instead of things that impact them personally because of one geezer I spoke to with lightning rune tattoos on his bald head on Stockport High Street
Ben Bradley has an SS tattoo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Truly galaxy brained moved by Keith to just abstain on the next covid vote, without using the fact that he controls the balance of power due to the massive tory revolt to try and get any concessions.
Don't play politics with political issues

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I quite often watch it as a reflection in a mirror positioned on a shelf behind my laptop.
That scene in The Shining must have been weird

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

You guys are awesome, we only even use the fuckoff big telly downstairs if we're watching something special & want to make an event of it, the "framerate" has always bugged the poo poo out of both of us & now I have the solution :)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

On the one hand, there could potentially be some adverse long term consequences that it isn't possible to test for in the short term, but, on the other, if we don't take it then tens of thousands of people will die. Seems like a no-brainer tbh

Red Oktober posted:

Mate, you used to buy pills from a bloke beside the bins behind Tesco who went by ‘Baz’; where has this new lack of trust in pharmaceuticals come from?
The trees behind Waitrose, thank you very much :colbert:

And he had a much sillier name.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Red Oktober posted:

My local dentist told me they weren’t doing NHS treatment “due to COVID”, but those very same dentists could treat me privately if I wanted to pay. Just as bluntly as that.
Weirdly had the exact same experience at the loving dump of all places when I moved house, they're not taking any black bag waste due to Covid, unless you have money because I guess Covid only affects poor people?

Back in Lockdown 1 I guess it kind of made sense to shut the tips for a bit so people stay home, but hmm it's now perfectly fine to go out to recycle, or to pay for disposal, but not to do anything that affects the Council's tonnage, that's some dubious logic right there

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Elves have always been Welsh, everyone knows that :colbert:

We've been playing hobbits as bad Irish in a long running One Ring campaign tbf, but I think that's mainly because I nabbed west country for my Barding

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

WhatEvil posted:

Like, yes, I'm on holiday, my spending will be "unusual" for as long as I am on holiday.
I got a card blocked the other day whilst doing some Christmas shopping online, when I spoke to them on the phone they were saying yeah, everyone's doing their Christmas shopping atm so most people are making a bunch of unusual transactions

Funny definition of "unusual" there

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Being in a safe Labour seat, I'm probably gonna vote Plaid for a bit. Not sure what I'd do in a swing seat.

peanut- posted:

what do you do if your local MP is Starmer
I'd probably actually go to my CLP meetings if Starmer was gonna be there tbf, it'd be much easier making life awkward for him

Totally unrelated, I forgot to take almost all of my annual leave this year so I'm now done with work for over a month :woop: Beers are on me

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jfc not again

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

MonkeyLibFront posted:

The use of the Skull comes from around 1760 when the 17th Lancers were raised.
:science::skeltal:?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Points aren't so much gamification as a way to pass the responsibility of making your employees feel appreciated onto the employees themselves because the boss can't be hosed, imo

Place I used to work just had an "employee incentive trophy" that came with a voucher thingy you could spend anywhere. One time I won it, because I billed over £55k that month (of which my bosses got over 97%, natch).

That £20 gift card probably did more to radicalise me than a thousand pages of Marx.

e: I have not read 1000 pages of Marx, dude's a snooze

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 7, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

peanut- posted:

Everyone know this in abstract, but it's still shocking to me when it's just stated plainly.

https://twitter.com/ezzzzzzx/status/1335656384151564289?s=20
"90% of the judiciary went to the same 10% of schools" is a factoid I like dropping on my students that might or might not be true since I got it from a 30 year old journal article that it was only even tangentially relevant to anyway

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Since it's been such a poo poo year in HE, UCU tried to negotiate for a Christmas bonus & an extra week's holiday.

They gave us... One day of holiday, must be taken on January 4th.

Nobody used their holiday this year anyway.

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Peaty whiskey sucks.

Talisker and Tullibardine are good Whiskies
(Talisker is quite strongly peaty, efb)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like to chain smoke until my lungs bleed with my whiskey.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

On reflection, the international convention for the spelling seems to be that it varies based on how much you hate the British, so itt we should probably keep the "e" tbh

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

I'd go further, some of the Lidl malts are fantastic. Cracking bang for your buck.

The key to remember is that a good whisky is one you enjoy and that's about it. Bourbon, Irish, Rye, a peaty Islay or a mild Speyside.

Like, I'd tell you that using expensive booze in a whisky and Coke is a waste of money because of diminishing returns but it's your money at the end of the day and you can set it on fire if you want.
I like literally all whisky but can reliably put a bunch of unlabelled glasses in price order based on how much I like them, I am yet to find a ceiling, & diminishing returns only comes into play when I have to offset the anguish at spending a weekly shop's worth of cash on a single round

A good whisky is one you can afford, basically

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can you get a simple caution for cycling through a red light?
it's technically possible but complicated threats are more common

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Cerv posted:

all vending machines are already reconfigured to use contactless card payments.
coins vs notes is moot.
I know someone who spent lockdown 1 in a(n outsourced private) psych hospital. The vending machines there only take pound coins. They are also literally the only "luxury" with everyone shut in their rooms most of the day. Pound coins turn out to be pretty hard to get when nobody is allowed outsife, and the staff just don't give a gently caress.

I know it's just the odd can of pop/pack of crisps/sweets, but it was loving inhumane imo

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I heard a rumour that the burger in spoons is actually p good

haven't been in to confirm yet

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Convex posted:

I have eaten a burger in spoons and it was p bad, hope that helps
thank you for your service

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

namesake posted:

If you feel like a criminal anyway why not take the opportunity to actually shoplift?
Considering self-service was a deliberate choice to increase shoplifting to reduce staff, it's basically scabbing to not steal poo poo at this point

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

When I was briefly homeless I'd go into Sainsbury as soon as it opened every morning, have a wash in the men's room, then just brazenly fill my pockets with fruit & give the security guy a friendly hello on the way out

I think people just aren't paid enough to give a poo poo about shoplifters

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Regarde Aduck posted:

Good luck. Here in Wales no one wears them and funnily enough cases are rising rapidly.
Most people are wearing them here in Swansea & we're looking pretty hosed & all :shrug: Could be because everyone's wearing them to go do their Christmas shopping in loving great crowds though tbf

Semi-related, I had to go into town last week, something that's really been grating on me: I'm hearing all these casual mentions on the news of how it's young people doing the spreading vs old people being very sensible. Guaranteed when you see someone being a right div they're over 60. The amount of times I stopped to casually look in a shop window & when I turned around there'd be some unmasked pensioner stood 4 loving inches from my face.

One bloke walked right into me, then gave me a friendly clasp on the back whilst he said sorry :coronatoot:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Private Speech posted:

I did avoid the shop for a bit afterwards, half out of residual awkwardness though.
See that's always the problem, I sorta-kicked off in my nearest chippy a while back because they didn't give me my jumbo sausage, I had to drive back down to get it, and then even knowing that my chips were back home going cold they kept me waiting 5 minutes whilst they went through the till to make sure I'd actually paid for it, & didn't even throw in any hot chips or anything to make up for it - I was totally in the right, but didn't really want to go back there after so in the end I just had to move house, it was the only option

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

"Oven Ready Deal" is a perfectly understandable Three Word Phrase & I categorically refuse to accept that there can be any more nuance to international diplomacy than that

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What economy we have is based on being an EU nation with a language and cuisine not too scary to Americans, and that's gonna end. Maybe they think they can buy up all the housing on the cheap then ride the wave when we are forced back to the table, but that's the sort of long term thinking that is explicitly selected against on the modern world
We're also a cultural powerhouse with a thriving arts sector that the whole worl- *aide whispers in ear* oh, uh... a thriving money laundering enterprise. That is all.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Sure is a shame that the economic damage from Covid is going to offset the glorious boon from Brexit, which was actually a good thing all along, and the Covid damage would have been a lot worse had we not Brexited, all the bad stuff is due to Covid and those loving scroungers with their furlough payments, so we will be gutting *spins wheel* disability benefit to pay for it, loving scroungers

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Angepain posted:

90% of emails agree with me! yeah, who would bother emailing jk rowling to tell her you don't agree with her, what's she going to do, change her mind
I thought she was constantly hounded by pro-equality hate trolls

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Let's just take a look at how the virus is doing

What's this actually measuring? Is Porthcawl actually more dangerous than Cardiff, or is per capita measuring and/or availability of hospital beds screwing things up?

Got a bit of a domestic situation going on wrt gf's family in London & am finding it a bit hard to believe London's actually "safer" than South Wales in any real sense

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Remember when he already tried that, & everyone he visited politely told him to do one

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

actchually as the son of an English, French-resident cheesemaker, the best cheeses are made in Wales. This is the end of my TED talk, there will be no further questions.

Fake edit: this seems like a great time in the conversation to make an extremely tenuous appeal to authority, no problems here

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Vitamin P posted:

Most right-wing canards have a fairly obvious psychosexual element but the fishing stuff baffles me
I think there was a song about Britannia & waves or some such

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jfc why did he have to name it after a disgraced former D&D mod

e: in 1972 Jeremy Corbyn personally high-fived every one of the Munich bombers

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 13, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

therattle posted:

Maybe I am being a terrible racist fascist etc but I don't think that deporting foreign offenders for genuinely serious offenders (basically murder, rape, serious assault/GBH/ABH, attempted murder) is a terrible thing, provided that it doesn't break up families, remove them from their children, etc (which means that in practice it would be very limited, which is fine). (I believe that the current practice is that someone can be deported if they receive a sentence of 12 months or greater, which I think is way too low a bar.) If I am wrong please explain why - I am open to being persuaded.
It's racist because it is literally giving unfavourable treatment to people on the basis of nationality (thus, indirectly, race), OP. Also, whilst you could talk about having a system of legal controls in place to, for example, prevent making people stateless, or deportation to countries where they will be subjected to torture &c, we already have those rules & the State tries its very best to ignore them anyway. You could strengthen those rules up all you like, and the State would still try to ignore them, sometimes successfully, meaning that foreign nationals have to live under the damoclean threat of complete withdrawal of human rights protections, whatever the law says.

Even if there was some way to get around this though (there isn't), that doesn't get around the first point, that it is an intrinsically racist policy because it applies criminal punishments selectively to foreign nationals only (and also, in effect, people who look a bit like foreign nationals, iykwim ;))

Gonzo McFee posted:

You can just see one of Julie's journo mates telling her "See the trick is to say something that's controversial but deniable. Blow that dogwhistle just right and all the men who had to attend HR meetings about their behaviour will throw their money at you. Get that goldilocks racism going."

Julie nods, logs onto twitter and calls all Muslims paedophiles.
https://twitter.com/BoozeAndFagz/status/1338413916473462790

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 14, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol at the plea regarding home learning materials. Yeah they pretty much did fall out of your apparently collective arseholes. Released on sunday evening with about 30 mins top spent on formulating the a4 sheet of hyperlinks to shite online games. Much the same every week. Total shite.
gently caress off

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why the gently caress should I you toad?
Because teaching is a woefully undervalued profession that has been under sustained political attack for years & is now expected to take the full blame for poo poo Government policy, teachers aren't trained (or paid enough) to deal with this kind of situation, and cunts like Liddle are just fuelling the idea that they should just get straight back into the meat grinder & die of Covid. Yes some of them are half-arsing it but frankly idk wtf else anyone expects in this situation. The State has sorely let down kids & teachers alike, & if the response to that is to blame the teachers then I'm gonna tell you to gently caress off, just a bit of education worker solidarity. Make sense?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Burchill deleted her Twitter account :laugh:

namesake posted:

create a wilderness which is beyond your law which is a tricky proposition ethically.
It's been done.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

Dunking on Sunny Hundal is like scoring into an empty net from 3 yards so instead I'll ask a more important question

Want to get a bottle of gin for my sister. My budget is extremely low (I have £20 and need £7 for the bus). I can maybe scrape together another £10 by digging through loose change. So let's say my budget is £20. I know as much about gin as I know about not running out of money just before Christmas so I'm looking for recommendations. How are Lidl or Aldi gin? Any other brands worth considering?

Christmas on a very tight budget loving sucks, especially when everyone who buys you thinks isn't working on such a tight budget. Great respect for my folks from when I was a kid.
Never tried Lidl & Aldi gin, Bombay Sapphire is alright for less than £20. My actual recommendation for cost effective gin though (depending how your change-rummaging goes) is Chase, currently £25 at Tesco if you have a Clubcard. The best bartender at my favourite cocktail bar swears by the stuff, even over much more expensive brands, it makes a fantastic martini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Necrothatcher posted:

This Zoom call is a no-win situation. Don't do it. Whatever you do will inevitably a) piss off your sister b) confuse your niece c) make you feel like poo poo.
Agreed. An insincere answer won't satisfy a perceptive child, could damage your relationship with her in the future, and will make you feel like poo poo. A sincere answer will piss off your sister, could interfere with your niece's enjoyment of Christmas, and will make you feel like poo poo.

The trouble is how to get out of it though, because saying no at this point would also probably piss off your sister, confuse your niece, and make you feel like poo poo. imo, this was an unfair situation for you to be put in - would a heartfelt chat about how you really don't want to upset anyone but genuinely can't think of what to say without treading on anyone's toes be enough to persuade sister/sister's kids to bail you out?