Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I submitted a request to move my power supply to my new place yesterday and there was a big warning in the process that if the new flat has a smart meter from another company it won't work.

Why would anyone have any faith in these things. I get the theoretical benefits but believing that whatever you get fitted now won't be dumped and non-functional within a decade is almost impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A decade lol? Brexit and corona, global over population and environmental collapse and asteroids and youre worried your smart meter might need replacing in ten years?

I mean in the event of the imminent apocalypse I'm not that worried about answering Eon's texts about getting a smart meter fitted to begin with.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Imagine not being on buy-all-your-clothes-from-Uniqlo tech in 2020

I legit don't understand this tweet. What is she trying to say?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Oh right. So when she says those issues don't have resonance in the red wall she means that they actually have loads of resonance in the red wall but on the racist side.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Surely that would require him to actually want any concessions.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

as i understand it younge and dawn foster were eased out at the "suggestion" of some other CiF columnists with more clout there

Hang on, you mean Guardian columnists got pushed out without it getting wall-to-wall coverage in every other broadsheet? That's not my understanding of how this works.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thrilling to read about Labour’s heroic abstention during a massive Tory revolt. That’s the kind of unified, cooperative leadership Keith offers.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1333861812673138692?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is it tinfoil to really want some government that isn't ours to approve this vaccine before you'd consider getting it?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

I would say a bit, the decision was made by the MHRA and nothing to do with Boris and co. Other countries are likely to approve in next couple of weeks though.

That's a nice ideal but if the something does end up going wrong the emails and Whatsapp messages from the government pushing the regulator to cut corners for speed will be leaking within a month.

I will just feel a lot better once the EU signs it off is all.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm sure it's absolutely fine and other countries will clear it but every time a Tory makes a big fuss about us being the first I remember Operation Moonshot and feel less confident.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

We have ordered enough doses of a domestically produced vaccine to cover the entire population alone and its being administered primarily by one of the only institutions in this country which still functions, despite the Tories best efforts.

In this particular case I just don't think a reflexive nihilism towards the situation really holds up, I dont doubt there'll be bureaucratic and supply chain gently caress ups along the way but I have no idea where you think this year long delay is coming from when the vaccines are already being mass produced and the first one just got authorised today.

I mean

Darth Walrus posted:

The Pfizer vax at least has better and more convincing trial data than the Oxford-AstraZeneca vax (which is a total shitshow), so the UK government hyping it up over the home-grown stuff is a bit of good news.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I am remembering the time I took bright orange pills with Mickey Mouse on them I literally found on the ground at a Belgian music festival and thinking I probably can't be too worried about abbreviated trial periods.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The weirdest bit about tandem skydiving is after the chute gets pulled you then have to make awkward conversation with the Australian you’re strapped to for 10 minutes while hanging 5000 feet in the air.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

Wrap it up guys the energy economy is over:

Games Workshop now as valuable as Centrica

To be boring about it, this isn't really true. Centrica has net debt of about £3bn so their actual value is more like £5bn.

Though GW will have jacked their prices up enough to make up this deficit by this time next year.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

I know they licence books and games a lot more than they used to but it always amazes me how profitable the figures continue to be. Who are these adults who have the time, money and space to build and paint armies and landscapes in TYOOL 2020?

It's simple, I buy the armies and then never actually build or paint them.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/03/gavin-williamson-britains-a-much-better-country-than-all-of-them

quote:

Gavin Williamson: UK is 'a much better country than all of them'

The education secretary, Gavin Williamson, has claimed the UK was the first country in the world to clinically approve a coronavirus vaccine because the country has “much better” scientists than France, Belgium or the US.

Williamson said he was not surprised the UK was the first to roll out the immunisation because “we’re a much better country than all of them”.

Asked whether Brexit was to credit for the world-first, Williamson told LBC radio station on Thursday: “Well I just reckon we’ve got the very best people in this country and we’ve obviously got the best medical regulators.

“Much better than the French have, much better than the Belgians have, much better than the Americans have. That doesn’t surprise me at all because we’re a much better country than every single one of them, aren’t we.”

Every time they open their loving mouths I get a loss less confident in this vaccine

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

TIL that Americans can't send money directly bank to bank without paying fees for wire transfer and often still pay rent by literally handing the landlord a cheque. Wow. How is this this most powerful country on the planet again? You'd think the US would if nothing else have perfected the easy movement of capital.

Honestly though how long does the US survive as global hegemon? Everything about it screams 'dying, fractured empire held together purely by military and paramilitary force'

In other news I just downloaded Just Cause 4 because it's on ps plus and my word it's a fun game but it's essentially a CIA intervention simulator if one of the big bad agents was an indestructible superhero.

I've had old jobs that involved making payments all over the world. Dealing with anything to do with the US on payments was a nightmare.

You can send money anywhere in the world using two numbers that will be printed on every invoice. Then you get to the American suppliers who were all like "bank details?! I guess we have them somewhere. Can't you just send us a cheque?? Everyone else pays us by cheque"

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
With reference to that Helen Pidd tweet about the eternally racist Northern brain that craves seeing people deported, it turns out the Tory minister responsible for all the deportations is the least popular minister in the red wall seats by some margin.

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1334561026658996226?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I know prosecutors are uniformly worthless people in the US, is that so much the case here? Outside of Keith it's not typically a role that's a launching point for a political career like in the States.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
what do you do if your local MP is Starmer

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Everyone know this in abstract, but it's still shocking to me when it's just stated plainly.

https://twitter.com/ezzzzzzx/status/1335656384151564289?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
These reward programs are done with vouchers because the company can easily pay the income tax/NI due on the value on the employee's behalf if its a voucher.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Ardbeg is actually pretty decent if you enjoy very peaty whisky

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Talisker is peated (though not overwhelmingly so)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Sainsburys scan on your phone as you go setup is slick as hell, but I still find it hard to shake the feeling that I'm doing something criminal when shoving food into my rucksack as I walk round the shop.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Huh I've never been pulled aside, I didn't know that was even a thing they did.

I'd be curious to know our respective skin colours (white as the driven snow here)

It's happened to me a couple of times. It's not a person picking people out, the self-checkout thing where you pay just tells you to ask a staff member to proceed.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

I remember being promised that all groceries were going to have RFID chips embedded in the packaging so we could walk directly out of the store and have our shopping automagically scanned and charged. Whatever happened to that? :mad:

Just cost sadly, it's not economic to do tagging below the pallet level. The single digit margin on most food can't absorb the price of RFID tags.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
"Err yeah we definitely still take cash fares. No change though." is a pretty good scam for a bus driver tbf

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's a net benefit for the world if our aircraft carriers don't work.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Friend of mine who is an irredeemably centrist liberal type started bemoaning how anonymous and charmless Starmer is and how there's no opposition last night. Completely unprompted on my part too. I think they're cottoning on to what a nothing he is.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
As awful as all this is it is very funny to me that arch-populist Boris Johnson has had to stand in front of the nation and cancel Christmas.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Three ghosts of Jimmy Saville will appear to Boris on Christmas eve and inspire him to let Brits have Chrimbo after all

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/harrietclugston/status/1340383304143540227?s=21

Well this is a comforting sight, having seen West Yorkshire struggle over the last month to get infections down

I don't really get what part of this is allowed tonight that wouldn't be allowed tomorrow?

If you're gonna break the rules just do it tomorrow when it's daylight and quieter.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

notaspy posted:

Any idea about staying overnight while in a support bubble?

Some of the guidance says yes, others no.

It's fine, nothing has changed for support bubbles. It's just confusingly phrased

You cannot leave home for holidays or stays overnight away from your main home unless permitted by law. This means that holidays in the UK and abroad are not allowed. This includes staying in a second home or caravan, or staying with anyone you do not live with or are in a support bubble with

i.e. you can stay with someone you live with or are in a support bubble with

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Uh, as written unless you hosed up the transcription that says quite explicitly you can not stay with anyone you are in a support bubble with.

Nah, it's very poorly written and in isolation could be interpreted either way. But people you "live with or are in a support bubble with" is a intended to be a singular group to whom the exemption applies.

All through the rules it's very clear that support bubbles exist on the same terms as a single household.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

It can hardly be called a lockdown if the trains are still running

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1340410423858900992

I genuinely don't get it. Is there any scenario where travelling was allowed last night and illegal today, in which these people aren't breaking the rules anyway by staying wherever they're going?

I guess maybe if they were all racing to their second homes?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

Scenarios of "work, education, medical attention or caring responsibilities"

No you can still travel for any of those reasons under tier 4.

Realise I’m appealing for logic where there is none, just the desperation to get a “legal” train out to get to where you’re staying illegally is properly weird to me.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Are they making a biting comment about Boris always turning up late by having Kieth hold conferences at incredibly specific times.

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1340587804531826688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Our local Waitrose has physically cordoned off sections of the fruit and veg to force you to zigzag through it before entering the rest of the shop. So if you just want to grab some milk you still have to weave past everyone buying bananas, or if you get to the onions and remember you need a courgette you can't just cut through the middle, you have to go contraflow all the way back around.

The one time I went to the big Morrison's this year they'd arranged it so that instead of walking up to whichever of the ~20 tills to check out like normal, there was a single queue for all the checkouts with staff directing you to the next free checkout. In practice this meant the queue was backed up through half the store, and people with trolleys doing their shopping had to weave through the people with trolleys waiting in line.

It's total loving madness that doesn't help anything even on paper and I am extremely Old Man Yells At Cloud about it.

I was in John Lewis a couple of weeks ago and they actually had someone regulating access to the escalator to ensure there were enough steps between everyone. Obviously this just meant there was a massive scrum of people waiting their turn at the bottom of the escalator, and everyone entering the shop had to navigate around the scrum.

There's still supermarkets with half their self-checkouts closed and it's so loving stupid. It just means there's a longer queue and everyone is inside in the shop for twice as long.