Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Anyone in the thread in line for the Pfizer vaccine (assuming hospital / surgery workers are up first) ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

stev posted:

Is it generally considered to be A Good Thing™ that we're getting the vaccine so quickly? It's hard to pick apart genuine concerns from anti-vax dog whistles and :tinfoil:.

I've gubbed many a bag of gear from disreputal sources, so will not shrink in fear from a new vaccine which appears to be effective.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

Think I'm going to go to the gym now it's reopened

rip

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Convex posted:

Was the old Spitting Image any good? I was too young to watch it back when it was on TV

No

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Beefeater1980 posted:

Ardbeg is the best whisky, and so is Laphroaig. Are there any other good peaty ones?

Port Charlotte

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Good news everybody.

Oxford Covid vaccine 'safe and effective' study shows

quote:

The Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccine is safe and effective, giving good protection, researchers have confirmed in The Lancet journal.

Most in the study were younger than 55, but the results so far indicate it does work well in older people too.

The data also suggest it can reduce spread of Covid, as well protect against illness and death.

The paper, assessed by independent scientists, sets out full results from advanced trials of over 20,000 people.

Regulators, who will have seen the same data, are considering the jab for emergency use.

But there are still important questions about what dose to give, as well as who it will protect.

When the interim trial results were made public in a press release about a fortnight ago, the researchers reported three efficacy levels for the vaccine - an overall effectiveness of 70%, a lower one of 62% and a high of 90%.

That's because different doses of the vaccine were mistakenly used in one part of the trial. Some volunteers were given shots that were half the planned strength in error.

Yet that "wrong" dose turned out to be a winner - giving 90% protection - while two standard doses gave 62%.

edit: cat tax

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 8, 2020

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You love to see it.

https://twitter.com/EuropeStreet/status/1337313673371656192

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Instead of eating avacado toast and broccoli next year, how about we just eat the rich.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What's a website where I can watch the £ crashing in real time?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why does everything come in through Kent anyway, arent there other ports around our 1000s of miles of coastline?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Perfect Element posted:

That clears it up, thanks.

OwlFancier's comment about the leftist party speed run is spot on. Do fringe right wing parties have these sorts of petty internecine conflicts but in reverse?

Aren't most fringe right wing parties astro-turf creations by billionare cunts.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

That would be a good troll, though it appears to be sincere so actually just a loving idiot.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Sad to see Wigtman is a TERF, was one of the better greens.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Finally Sturgeon bans the English :scotland:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My interpretation of this is 'negative interest rates is icumen in. Lhude sing cuccu'

time to buy gold and shares in companies that make bullets.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Yeah lads I know the Tories hosed it, and the devolved nations didn't do much better. However being under self imposed house arrest since March, and having seen my family once in that time, fills me with rage to see cunts cramming into shops and trains to continue spreading this poo poo around.

And that guy who dashed through London, Bristol and Scotland to leave the country gently caress him as well.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe journalists are the enemy of the people :trumppop:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Easy to get lost in the madness but lets not forget how utterly poo poo scotlab are.

https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1340368274115207169

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Seems to me, and I'm just a layman her, but is putting your economy on pause for a couple of months and restricting international travel not less damaging that loving around with tier systems, short notice lockdowns and constant changes to guidelines (for months on end).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

peanut- posted:

Supposedly there will be a protocol in place for reopening ports within a few hours. Given one of the rules will inevitably be a negative test within the last 24 hours for drivers, is that something we've got the capacity or logistical ability to do?

What does your heart tell you?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

so i'm aware its just massive corruption but seriously how the gently caress did £22bn get spent on it thats an insane amount of money lol

https://twitter.com/TomKibasi/status/1341008223994785793?s=20

New York Times did a good breakdown:

Waste, Negligence and Cronyism: Inside Britain’s Pandemic Spending

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

round about 20-25 tweets deep in the thread it talks about how the working theory on this particular strain is:

• one person gets very ill and generates a shitload of viruses
  • antibody therapy is used on them, adding a massive selection criteria for "can evade antibodies" in a situation with a shitload of viruses, leading to a fast-track evolution race~
  • the winner emerges

nothing in this makes me think it wasn't boris johnson who personally incubated this new strain

Natural selection is pretty loving metal.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Dead Goon posted:

Apropos of nothing:

:nms:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Weasling Weasel posted:

So, judging by the scientists current reaction, and the Bojo delay to any advice, I presume we'll all be entering Tier 4 on Christmas Eve, effective from Christmas day right?

Probably announce ration books being issued then as well (outsourced to Deloitte).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Flayer posted:

I don't even understand voters in this country. Then again, I suppose there isn't really even a good choice to pick. It's loving bad all the way down the ticket.

It's easy to understand when you accept that at least 30-40% of the population are stupid, irredeemable, and horrible cunts.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Great stuff, excellent all round.

:toot:

https://twitter.com/PeterAdamSmith/status/1341386357516754945

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 22, 2020

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm convinced at lease 90% of the the Bellingcat ire is because Brown Moses was the standard NEET Goon, who managed turned his posting into an income stream.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jippa posted:

:tif:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/us-brexit-trade-deal-antibiotics-meat-drug-b1780438.html

US-reared animals whose meat is set to be imported under post-Brexit trade deals are fed 10 antibiotics banned in the UK, potentially undermining treatments for infections, cancer and even coronavirus, a report has warned.

Bringing the meat into the UK would be a seriously backward step in the fight against antibiotic resistance, and consuming the meat itself could create a cancer risk, according to the Sustainable Food Trust (SFT.)

Meat eating is morally wrong anyway, everyone should go vegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

I'm all for Kent in particular getting hosed by brexit after voting for it lol

only benefit imo