Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Warden posted:

I could write an effort-ish post later about how unlikely Finnish independence was, and how several different events had to happen in very specific ways for it happen when it did, if anybody is interested.

Oh, it's a great story, I wrote a university paper called "The Accidental State."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of WWI's eastern front, did any country besides Bulgaria manage to keep both it's capital and system of government for the whole conflict?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Gort posted:

* Atrocities in Belgium

Considering the atrocities perpetrated by colonial Belgium managed scandalize the world even by the standards of the day, I'm curious if the British government made a concerted effort to rehabilite that country in the eyes of the public as WWI loomed.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Very interesting, thank you.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Was looking up August Storm and I was curious about two things:

1. Did the Kremlin bother ginning up any new casus belli to feed the population like 'revenge for Khalkin' or stage a false flag like the Shelling of Mainla or was it just "We're at war because we said we would and also gently caress them. "

2. Did the leadership have any concerns about the popular reaction to jumping right back into another war or do any assessments along those lines?

Also, gently caress they moved fast. What, did they grab the Nazi's amphetamine stockpile? You can barely drive through Manchuria that quickly today.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 6, 2021

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Were any studies done on what an exclusively Austria-Hungary vs Serbia 1914 conflict would have looked like?

Certainly heavy casualties and unforced errors from AH to start with but would they have been expected to get their poo poo together if they just had the one front to worry about before internal pressures and embarassment got to be too much?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

From many threads back, but I remember an excerpt from a novel being posted where two southern characters are having a conversation when one of them out of nowhere brings up how Johnston lost the civil war, and the other character is surprised but immediately says it's more the fault of Bragg. At least it goes something like that.

Does that ring any bells?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I was just walking around the Sekigahara battlefield for the first time in 15 years. The new museum is alright if rather succinct on the history, and also it gets the emblem and spelling of the Shimazu wrong. Also apart from a very rusty blade and some musketballs everything there is a replica compared to what you will find in the Nagoya Tokugawa, Edo-Tokyo museum, etc. Also the music tracks they use for the 4d rumbling and spraying shows aren't nearly as good as Kessen's.

As for the battlefield itself there are now plentiful explanations in English at the sites and leading towards it accompanied by beautiful art by the same man who draws for Koei's Nobunaga's Ambition series.

However, and I'll need to check my old albums and perhaps my memory is too rosy, but I recall the area between the station and Ishida's encampment being almost wholly pastoral with only a few single story houses, and when I stood on that hill it was so quiet I'd swear you could close your eyes and hear tens of thousands screaming as they charged into battle.

Yesterday when I looked from that spot there were several large, garish, multi-storey buildings between it and the station, and incessant loud traffic from a nearby bypass. Still worth visiting, but not ideal. Or as good as I remember, at any rate.

Anyway, have any of you returned to a historal battlefield and found it diminished?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

It was Dog of the South by Charles Portis

Thank you very much!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Certainly his thoughts on the bomb at the end are quite interesting considering his history on and imminent return to the front lines.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

How compromised were the communications of the Iraqi army in the lead-up to 2003?

Was it as bad any order given from Baghdad was immediately in the hands of American translators?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

US Air Force to send dozens of F-22 fighter jets to the Pacific amid tensions with China]US Air Force to send dozens of F-22 fighter jets to the Pacific amid tensions with China

With the full unfair benefit of hindsight, what would the rough costs have been for keeping the F-22 going and using differing airframes for the various other roles vs what they've actually spent on the F-35 and the like?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So the gimmick with Modern Pentathlon is to simulate the "experience of a 19th-century cavalry soldier behind enemy lines: he must ride an unfamiliar horse, fight enemies with pistol and sword, swim, and run to return to his own soldiers."

Are there any memoirs or credible stories with an individual doing all five of these things in one incident?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I mean, can anyone name the corps commanders of either side at Chickamauga other than Thomas? Rosecrans and Bragg's tango is just not a particularly well understood part of the war, and neither do many people know who Johnston's corps commanders or even who all of Sherman's army commanders were in the Atlanta campaign.

Off the top of my head Longstreet (speaking of willfully forgotten) who lead the day 2 mid-day assault that found itself charging through the just abandoned part of the center that was off to reinforce Thomas.

Oh, and the Bishop who missed his start time due to a late breakfast.

Also Forrest was about, though he wasn't a corps commander.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

By way of technicality, Forrest’s command was a “cavalry corps.”

I stand corrected, thank you.

wiegieman posted:

Thomas didn't write any memoirs and destroyed his own private papers. He didn't exactly promote himself.

Speaking of doing it to yourself, outside of Cold Harbor General Meade read a dispatch in his hometown newspaper that so caused him to blow his stack that he had the reporter arrested, driven of camp backwards out on a mule, and played off with 'The Rogue's March.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaplEF4w9RY

This resolved every other reporter to never again mention Meade in a positive light.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is there anywhere with very exact figures on Finnish munitions just before the Winter War started? Like, exactly how many artillery shells etc. there were?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Loezi posted:

Numbers.

Thank you very much!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Squalid posted:

Oddly it was after the UK had already announced its intention to grant South Yemen independence and begun the withdrawal that an anti-colonial insurgency really took off during the Aden Emergency. Driven especially by the National Liberation Front (NLF), was determined to attack the British forces not primarily because they needed to defeat an army that was leaving anyway, but because they were trying to position themselves as a more credible nationalist movement than the rival revolutionary organization FLOSY. The last British High Commissioner even reported had a secret meeting with an NLF representative where he more or less said "we'll be gone in a year, please stop attacking us," to which the representative replied "Ah, but if we do not attack you, how will the people know who fights for them?" Even before the British were gone Aden had already descended into bloody urban combat between FLOSY and the NLF over who would rule in their absence, with the NLF ultimately winning and proclaiming the Yemeni People's Republic.

Just remembered this old post. About how accurate is this summation and are there any good reads on this particular Yemeni insurgency?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Cessna posted:

Their rifle drill hasn't changed since - er, well...

Speaking of, there's a very cute story about Imperial German askari veterans being offered a pension five decades after the war but only a few being able to offer written proof, so they were prompted to perform the old manual of arms. 'Not one of them failed the test.'

Almost too nice, is this quite what happened?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

everything is far too clean

'bout how much blood should spurt when a head's knocked off in a standing position?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

"Foraging" was common in the ACW. The little stretch of land around Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania was looted bare over the 4 years of back-and-forth. People just write about the March to the Sea like it was unique, like how they write about Atlanta burning as if it was a horrific war crime. It doesn't need to be true, just repeatable.

It's funny how Sherman's army was more punitive in South Carolina (and lenient in North Carolina) but Georgia gets all the memory. I suppose because Georgia felt decisive while the latter were foregone.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'd seen this video before but hadn't appreciated significance of the general having family from Kansas that fought for the Confederacy. I wonder if they did much bleeding even before Sumpter?

I should point out in fairness to the man he seems to have been comparatively progressive on race in the army.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

I am not going to get in a pissing match about whether or not the South deserved what it got, but I will say it was the first time war was waged against civilians when broader international social norms, and just war philosophy, were starting to realize cognize that there, perhaps, ought to be rules to how wars were fought and that maybe civilians shouldn’t be considered, under any circumstances, legitimate targets of armies.

That many Georgians kept asking Sherman's boys to hit South Carolina even harder since they'd started it is one of my favourite tidbits from that campaign

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Epicurius posted:

Lee was from Kansas, but his grandfather who fought for the Confederacy, John Hodges, was from Mississippi. His father's family was from Iowa.

More and more interesting, thank you!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

In the 1845 French navy, médecin-major would mean medic or doctor of what rank exactly?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Literally translated it means "Medical Major" or "Major of Medicine". Not sure what the exact Royal Navy rank would be (possibly Surgeon-Lieutenant since there was no lieutenant-commander rank until 1913) but in the British Army it would be Surgeon-Major.

The equivalent 1845 USN rank would be Surgeon, specifically a Surgeon with less than 12 years experience. USN officer ranks were... eccentric until about the 1910s and the Medical Corps was no exception.

Thank you.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

There's an interesting quote from Bruno Sammartino that ties SS and Wehrmarcht and Italy and Germany all together actually, he said that "... (the) town was occupied by Germans, and not just the Germans but the SS." So there could certainly be an appreciable difference by those right under the boot.

On another note entirely, I just reading that by the end of the war Lincoln thought it would be ideal if Davis would exile himself after a half-hearted hounding if neccessary. Is that the case and is there any more information about his private plans for Confederate officials?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Yes.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

What are some examples of an invaded force having successfully stopped their opponent by removing all supplies but leaving a hungry populace that the invader is obliged to take care of, overstretching their logistics?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Argas posted:

Obligatory Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Yeah, that's where I first saw it and the exact same thing was just on The Expanse. I was just wondering if there was a real world example they might be drawing from.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Did Imperial Russia have a strong international espionage setup?

I just read something about them having a great many agents around Tokyo during the Russo-Japanese war.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

Yes, huge. Look up the Third Section and the Okhrana that succeeded it. They mainly targeted Russian dissidents and revolutionaries, both within Russia and abroad, but European revolutionaries considered the Russian Empire their main enemy for most of the 1800s, thanks to its financial and military support of conservative monarchies and attempts to stymie democratic and constitutionalist revolutionary movements all over. They also engaged in intelligence and counterintelligence generally, and supposedly served as the model for the Soviet programs that followed.

Quite interesting, thank you.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Did the Nazis ever seriously consider handing administration and leaving of all of what they recognized as France to the Vichy regime after the BoB? Maybe keeping some naval bases for the duration of the conflict, anything like that?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I know that Imperial Japan was not tolerant of their own becoming POWs but early WWII must have had some Germans captured by France, how were those treated upon release by the Nazis?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of the Civil War, is current scholarship in agreement as to whether Pickett's Charge had a pause to dress the line?

As for McClellan, him getting as close as he did to Richmond without a brutal repulse along the way was rather endearing to the army itself for quite some time. Joe Johnston not getting wounded is one of those great what-ifs of the war. Well, probably just moving the Confederate capital again and fighting on but you never know.

Terrible politics and a worse information network (drat Pinkertons), but considering the results of his predecessor, and successor, and successor, and successor in the east...

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I saw people getting mad at Switzerland again about WWII elsewhere, but wasn't France the only country on the continent to declare war on Germany before being attacked?

*edit* Except Turkey in Feb 45, I guess.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Was reading about Danegeld and it mentioned the offer to loan the Nazis hundreds of millions if they wouldn't attack Poland.

Notwithstanding the Soviets, and the madness of giving the Nazis anything again, would say an additional six months before the start have benefitted Poland or Germany more?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

What exactly were the non-material holdups on getting the Flying Tigers over to China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

samcarsten posted:

I thought WWI was too early for fascism?

Depends on if you count Action Francais as the first fascists or last protofascists.