Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
oh hell yes ground floor. :woop: And ground floor on the one I properly give a poo poo about! godspeed Kanfy, you absolute madperson.

While phys adept is arguably a bit On Theme, the main problem is that in terms of overall physical beating, we are going to be Fairly Well Covered on that front. If we hadn't just come off a multi-year LP campaign using a mage, that would be the logical choice again because the main party is once again fairly thin on the mojo. Decking is also Covered™, although without a decking MC we are going to be a bit locked into who comes with us on every run. And there is some unbelievably cool cyber this time around, but again, physically we're covered.

So I'm going to go ahead and say Human, and Kanfy gets to coinflip or otherwise choose between Mage and Decking Cyber-Punchman. Both would be interesting and show off a number of neat new features. For street names, let's use Kongming for the mage (hell yeah we're going there) or Blink for cyberperson.

Really looking forward to this. :allears:

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Okay, but, I was browsing the Dragonfall thread a bit and noticed a comment around about part 16, way back in 2018:

Ratoslov posted:

One of the things about Toxics that was mentioned in one of the books (and never followed up on because it's stupid) is that you can also make a Toxic environment through human misery, rather than pollution. The example given was that particularly banal cube farm could cause toxic background count. Of course, if you think about it, that'd mean that every sweatshop and slum in the world would be Toxic and the whole world would be overrun in short order.

I'm having a little bit of trouble holding in my :allears:. Going to be curious to see what longtime SR thread watchers make of the setup and overall arc of the game.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kanfy posted:

Holding in your :allears: is part of the thread rules so try to hang in there.

Oh I know, and I hardly want to spoil anything big. But this is a game that just generates a large amount of :allears: naturally.

And alas, looks like my decker-cyberperson is losing the struggle. :smith: You really can't go wrong with any archetype for the MC (so long as you have decent charisma once again, tho the HK team can be better about helping with checks) but I do think adept suffers a tiny bit without at least some cyber, because we just end up with so many other options for ventilating people. Meanwhile, if we want very high pure Spellcasting on the team, that's more or less all on the player. And the player being able to deck (or cast) does give us a little flexibility that we wouldn't have otherwise, among other things.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I will just pop in to point out that we are not locked in to using Black as a surname (as dobbs also pointed out). For spoilers that come up two minutes into the game (lemme know if you want me to delete this, Kanfy), Duncan did not change his surname to Black, meaning that it is entirely possible for us to keep our pre-adoptive surname.

So with that in mind, I'm going to vote:

Taizhen "Taz" Hart, female dwarf cyber-adept.

I'm also a bit glad that the four portraits in the runoff are ones in the "new" style - as readers may have already guessed, there has been a bit of a shift in portrait style in Hong Kong compared to Dragonfall and especially compared to DMS. It'll definitely make whatever Taz we end up with integrate into the game well.

All this being said,

Xun posted:

Instant ramen protagonist is the gooniest name

:emptyquote:

Prettyboy troll Shin Black would be p. great too.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

We begin at last. :getin:

It can be kind of shocking that the first combat can be as deadly as it is; it's hard to tell if Harebrained expected mostly SR vets to be the audience or if they wanted to put people in the pool's deep end so people would actually learn the combat system.

KataraniSword posted:

Oh, I'm sure that horn-carving and tattoos had their place in the lives of any young troll.

In the Renraku Arcology sourcebook, a rare corporate-family troll teenager is described as having gotten gold end-caps for his horns. Horn bling is super common among trolls.

Also if we're referencing Run Faster, those cowards at Harebrained haven't given us a pixie or naga player character in these games yet. :mad:

Also, seriously, if you haven't done so, look up a youtube of the opening movie. It's incredibly slick and great for establishing the atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

quote:

* We will tie and gag Rhombus and stuff him into a storage closet.
- We will not be gentle.
- It's okay if he starts crying.
- Actually, pls. prioritize this. I want to see tears.

Best line in the entire game, fight me.

Absolutely cannot wait to see this run. And I'm gonna go against the grain and say Gobbet would know how to follow Is0bel's lead.