Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Female troll, last portrait in this row, because that family resemblance with Duncan is uncanny.

:hmmyes:

Yes this.

Female troll, last portrait in this row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

I feel like Is0bel would bounce Blitz from the net in about 10 seconds with a nasty side of dumpshock if they went head to head.

I have no idea, though, what would happen if Gobbet and Dietrich went head to head.

I'm not sure, Blitz is supposed to be almost as hot-poo poo as he thinks he is, and he thinks he is ludicrously hot poo poo. His problems aren't that he's a bad decker, but that he makes incredibly bad decisions in every other realm.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Kanfy posted:

There's a hard limit to the fusion of man and machine. Doesn't your vision of the future require us to get past that?

You're speaking of the essence limit, and the problems associated with essence loss.

[He releases a plume of smoke from the corner of his mouth.]

Yes, of course, it will be a problem. But as with all problems, a workaround will present itself. Of this, I am certain.

Are you basing that on anything, or are you just taking it on faith?

[He smirks at you.]

No, my friend, I am not taking it on faith. My beliefs are rooted in my own observations and experiences. But I would encourage you not to take my word for it. Instead, broaden your thinking; I am confident that you will reach the same conclusion on your own. For the time being, let us leave the matter at that.

He actually gets this right. I believe the HBS Shadowrun games take place a while before the 'present day' of the TTRPG, which is why he seems to be extrapolating a possible but not guaranteed outcome (if you're being generous to him) or just taking this on faith (if you aren't), but by the latest era of Shadowrun they've managed to figure out ways to get cyberware and bioware's essence costs down significantly, with Gammaware cutting down essence costs by 60% (at admittedly fairly ruinous prices), cyberware 'packages' being able to cut that down further, and things like adapsin and neonatal genetic modification (prototype transhumans) also letting you integrate more augmentation into someone at admittedly significant prices.

But with all Deltaware and a cyberware package, I think you can literally replace all four of your limbs, armor-plate your head and torso, load up with the highest grade wired reflexes, and get all the other doodads you want while still maintaining an essence above 0. Given how expensive cyberzombies are, I suspect that gammaware might end up rendering cyberzombie tech into a dead-end technology. Sure, cyberzombies get a bunch of magical kickers that a gammaware fullborg doesn't, but the gammaware fullborg doesn't have nearly as high of a risk of deciding to just will themselves to death, doesn't need nearly as much psychological and magical care and maintenance, and most importantly doesn't need the nasty magical bits, which probably ends up making it way less expensive overall.

There's also stuff like full cyborgization where you just transplant a brain into a life support system and that leaves the subject at 0.01 Essence.

Now, if they can find some way to renew essence lost to longevity treatments, Racter's dreams would be very close to realization.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

Put Gobbet and Blitz in a team together.

Then get far far away.

L2 or L3 may be far enough away.

Maybe

Maybe not even that, given that in one of the latest Shadowrun books (no, the most recent edition of Shadowrun is not good, it's one step forward, three steps back, and five drunken steps off the side of a narrow pathway and into a bottomless ravine) we see what Blitz has ended up doing after that whole Dragonfall thing and he's accidentally ended up being the catspaw of APEX. That's a pretty big whoopsie.

This outcome is extremely funny but also absolutely appropriate for Blitz, given that his core traits were:
1. Thinks he's the most competent person on the planet;
2. Is almost as good a decker as he thinks he is;
3. Is a bit of a tire fire in every other aspect

I could absolutely see APEX both wanting to keep tabs on him because he's dangerous and using him because he's actually possible to manipulate.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Kith posted:

Blitz is overwhelmingly competent, but also a moron, so him turning into a stooge doesn't surprise me in the least.

The best part of this is that the date for that adventure is 2080ish.

Blitz is so capable he managed to survive to like, 60 years old as a shadowrunners (well, ex-shadowrunner now, he's a fixer in the 2080s) and such a fuckup that he's gotten himself involved with the last surviving super AI, it is absolutely what future Blitz should look like.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

drat, which book is this? Might have to look it up when I get the chance.

It's Hack and Slash, the 6e Matrix book.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't think that any of the games had voicing either - they don't need it and I think that my GOG copy is erroneously labelled. According to Steam, their version is in English, French, Italian, German, Russian & Spanish. The GOG version has all of those plus what I think is simplified modern Chinese. If anyone can read these characters and I'm wrong, please tell me: 中文(简体)

Yes, those characters mean Chinese (Simplified).

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Kitchen Undead Nightmares

Ghouls in Shadowrun aren't actually undead, they're still warm blooded and need oxygen and all that jazz.

Their dietary requirement is also somewhat interesting because they don't exclusively eat human flesh either, they just need to eat it regularly - the rest of their calories can come from other sources.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

to assense is the process of giving somebody a once-over with magesight or in the astral plane. you may recall it from back in Dragonfall, where an Awakened character can try to do this to the cyberzombie, and immediately need to pass a difficult Body check to not vomit and pass out.

Assensing can give you a fair amount of information on someone, such as their emotional state, whether they have magic, what kinds of cyberware or bioware they have, if they've suffered any essence loss for any reason, and so on. It's a very useful tool for an Awakened shadowrunner.

Magicians get it by default, but Adepts need to specifically purchase a power in the TTRPG, Astral Perception, to make use of it.

The funny thing about assensing is that when you're doing it, you need to perceive astrally, and if you're perceiving astrally you can interact with astral forms. So you can punch, or get punched, by unmaterialized spirits while you're doing it.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Astral perception cannot take in 'abstract' information. Try to look at written information astrally and it's just scribbles with maybe some colour indicating the emotional tone of the writing.

Also, things that are transparent in visible light are often opaque in the astral realm.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Part 31 - Give and Take

Had a feeling it might be something like that, considering everything we've seen and heard. And, er, tasted...

And you are a ghoul. Why these people would choose to associate with a corpse-eater is a mystery to me. Perhaps you're their pet?

You could see the ability of Gaichu to see that Ku Feng's a vampire as a hint that she might not be all that strong, because powerful vampires tend to pick up the ability to mask their aura specifically to avoid being outed like this. Interestingly, Ku Feng is probably significantly more representative of the "average" vampire than some ridiculous monster who can challenge a relatively experienced runner team - a random person who got infected with the vampire virus and got some improved physical and mental abilities but didn't magically gain the skills to become a high-level threat.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Depending on which era we're in, HMHVV can grant different abilities. I don't recall if this strain makes Ku Feng a full mystic adept or not, but give her long enough to practice and she'll be tough.

If she wasn't an accountant, she might be a real handful already. Vampires can burn up the essence they've absorbed from others to crank their physical abilities through the stratosphere.

She's presumably a basic Strain I infected vampire, which means that she can end up with no spellcasting/adept abilities. The strain you're thinking about is Strain Ia, which automatically makes humans full magicians unless they're an adept in which case you become a mystic adept. If a troll gets infected with Strain Ia, they automatically become an adept unless they're a magician (in which case they become mystic adepts).

On the other hand, being infected by HMHVV can cause latent magical abilities and weird genetic quirks to manifest, so it's entirely possible that she's an adept or magician and doesn't quite know it yet.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

Use of RFID makes sense, guns chatting wirelessly with their own scopes and user comlink instead of using a cable on the gun and a cable through the sling, those are inexplicable.

The megacorps drilled into the Akashic Records, the font of all knowledge, to get more bandwidth and cloud storage space, and this is why everything is now better if you turn its wi-fi on.

This is, as far as I can tell, more or less the canon explanation.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Never change, Gobbet.

Are we sure Gobbet is an ork, because it feels like she might be an ogre, given her apparent total immunity to stomach problems.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Kith posted:

2.5 is nearly half of that! C'mon Racter, you can shave off another point or two! Think of the possibilities!

E: Update on previous page.

Look if your mundane character doesn't start with less than 0.5 essence you're not really trying

I've even made viable magical characters who started with less than 1 essence (it's the only reason you'd ever want to do Exceptional Attribute: Magic, and it's not the most optimal way to make an Adept and definitely not the most optimal way to make a mage, but it is very funny and viable and therefore it's good)

Anyways, the timeline proves Racter more or less right in about 30 years. As of the latest edition, it's possible to get at least 8 essence of cyberware and bioware without discounts, more because cosmetic non-augmentation ware which brings you closer to your self-image doesn't cost essence (and can actually heal essence damage). This stacks with better ware grades, genetic modifications and qualities which let you discount augmentation costs, and various other ways to discount augmentations (such as bundles or cybersuites, if they ever get reintroduced into 6e). Alternatively, you could get your entire body lopped off and turned into a full body cyborg, which costs a mere 5.9 essence and gives you the ability to swap into some cyborg bodies that can be augmented to stupendous levels, and all of those can fit significantly more than 6 essence worth of ware.

There is also a very funny coincidence here with this conversation about breaking the essence limit coming after the mission with a vampire, because being a vampire also lets you break the 6-essence limit, although it takes until the 2070s for getting ware as a vampire to be made practical.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Poil posted:

Vampires increasing their essence is kinda not very accepted in most places however. They lose one essence, minimum, every month and they have a special drain essence power they use to take essence from others. If a vampire assaults you and drains 4 essence from you it's like if you got 4 essence worth of ware. You're super extra screwed if you are/were a mage. Victims can get addicted to essence draining and vampire going above their 6 limit risks them doing it as well, or it increases the risk I can't remember exactly. Naturally they also need to drink metahuman blood daily (that doesn't cause essence loss at least). :drac:

True, but most vampire active powers kinda suck so 1 essence loss/month is about where you'd expect it to be and there are enough awful people in the world of Shadowrun that you could drain one of them every few months without being particularly worse than your average shadowrunner.

As to essence drain addiction, that's also something you can mitigate if you have decent edge and good mental attributes (and since you're probably a mage, adept, or mystic adept, you'll want those anyways).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Blitz is every bit what he hypes himself up as with decking.

It's just that every choice he ever makes outside of decking involves being given two options, looking at the worst one real hard, and then pulling out a choice that makes the previous worst option look like a good idea in comparison.

Blitz is a perfect combination of incredible intelligence, an incredible lack of wisdom, and enough foolishness that he seems to have been protected by divine providence. The man canonically survives 30 years after he meets Monica's crew, you have to give him props for having the luck of a complete fool.