Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Without a vacation first?
Can't complain.
Vote: Last name's Black, because of a very minor spoiler.
Buildwise, as long we melee (or whip!), we cool. (How viable is a gun adept?)

quote:

While I mentioned this game having had its fair share of bugs, one that it was spared from was the stat-inflating difficulty one that reared its head in the last two games, so we'll be playing on Hard this time. Very Hard was retired for some reason. But you know... we had like zero game overs in the previous LP and I know people love seeing blood, so why not spice things up a bit more this time?
Well, the bug's still here - dunno if it still does the "inflate every save", but if an ally joins you mid - mission, you'll see that their stats are better than normal, only for that mission.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
If going with Troll woman, than:
This one.
Mostly 'cause I used the other one for my street sam (claws build).

E:apropos of nothing - anyone played both unarmed adept and a melee one, can make a comparison?

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 9, 2020

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Kanfy posted:

There also seems to be a minor exploit here where loaning an item to a crew member with full locked-in inventory like Duncan's here and back actually unlocks one of their items as if it were ours, but we'll abstain from that one.
Lemme tell you something, managing to cause a nature elemental (I think the "decorating" mission and Gobbet were involved) whole inventory somehow to drop (stumbled into this bug honestly) made for a very fun playthrough, if slightly unbalanced.
Did you know some of the npc-only spells have no stat requirements?

Kanfy posted:

Between this and the scarce medical supplies we start with, it's no great surprise that the Steam achievement for dying in the opening mission isn't a terribly rare one. And be also reminded that the AI has been modded to use all of its AP instead of being limited to one action per turn, and that we're basically a soft bullet magnet who brought a (large) knife to a gunfight.
I've honestly ranking this fight as hard, if not harder, than the finales, or the "bring it, y'all" levels.
The fact that I had problem not starting with 4 charisma may not helped, tho.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Kanfy posted:

Part 13 - CSI: Hong Kong

The crew tech wiz is mostly brains over brawn as expected, but Is0bel clearly did also pay attention during Elder Ip's lessons as she can fire a gun almost as well as Duncan. She has no cyberware other than the Datajack she needs to do her job and which enables potential Smartlink weapon usage.

As a minor side note, her base attributes at this level are actually identical to those of Blitz from the previous game.
IIRC, deckers don't use CHA for anything, right? And if it's "for flavour"... I can buy Blitz having 4 CHA, but Is0bel? C'mon.
(rest of crew got sensible Cha score in both games, I might add)

quote:

Racter toolkit bugs
Have playtested it even once? Kinda hard to miss that the "get more speed" ain't working.

quote:

When examining the wall smears in Tong's shop:

Whoa, check that out. It's like a paint-by-numbers game, except using ugly wallpaper and a dead guy's guts. They sure didn't teach me that kind in kindergarten!

You went to kindergarten?

Well... No. But I've seen a lot of trid shows! It's all sitting around fingerpainting, cutting up paper into stars, and learning how to code your first program, right? And it's always taught by somebody in a stuffed animal suit.

[Is0bel rolls her eyes.]

Gobbet... Just... Stop talking, please.
I don't remember getting this conversation. Ha.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
I'm curious - how many people here played the game, and how many didn't?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
None - save money for now, lest it'll be wasted when switching to better armour.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Kanfy posted:

They don't know what they're missing, though! One episode of "Thousand Cranes of Autumn" and they'd be hooked for life. I'm just at the part where O-Rin has confessed her love to Takayama, but he's got to get his mech suit out to the front lines on Mars, so he can't be with her. Downright heartbreaking, I tell you.
Just reminding myself for later

Kanfy posted:

Tank War Europa? I haven't seen one of those cabinets in years.

One recurring line is that you could make the PC into a video gamer aficionado - although some of the dialogue requires skills that not every build has.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Kanfy posted:

Well, without going into any detail on this game's missions because we haven't seen any of them yet past this one, I personally think that while Director's Cut added some definite aces to Dragonfall, the base mission set of that game is not actually super memorable. It's like yeah, the MKVI was a memorable character, but I can't necessarily say the same about the run itself through AG Chemie Europa's offices. Same goes for things like the SCHERING Pharma AG lab that was kind of a slog, or the weapon merchant's job in Gesundbrunnen for example. I don't remember any details about the Humanis compound between the opening ambush and the last confrontation, and I've played and LP'd the crap out of that game. :v:

The likes of Feuerstelle and Sutterlin Bioscience added in Dragonfall: Director's Cut are very hard to top, but I do think that playing through the average Hong Kong mission is design-wise more enjoyable and has a richer amount of variety and smaller highlight moments than the average Dragonfall mission. But YMMV of course, and I'm curious to see what people who haven't played the games will feel about it once we have more Hong Kong runs under our belt.

Been told there's a piece of advise, regarding video game design - make the first level last.
Why? Cause you'll have more experience, more knowledge about your game, so your effort will be better ; And because everyone who play the game will see the first level, but not everyone will get to the last; add in the need to "hook in" the player and it all means you need a good first level - and thus, make it the last one.

Now, setting aside how memorable your first run is in Dragonfall, the levels you mentioned as exemplery were added later - therefore, chance that they'll be better, relative speaking.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Ever heard the phase "then ask whoever promised you"? You put a good word with the boss, they ain't require to listen.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Cythereal posted:

As has been brought up, they probably thought they were going ghoul hunting.

Would these Red Samurai bozos tolerate one of their own becoming a ghoul?

I'm gonna guess "yes, if they commit seppuku at once".

Aside how's this setting's japan? I think it's a combination of WWII-imperial japan mixed with (nineties? eightes?) "japan takes over the world" scare (told that was common in cyberpunk/speculation?), but my knowledge's limited. so...Shadowrun lore goons, help?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

GhostStalker posted:

, she literally shits out rare magical reagents that she can sell for the nuyen.

"don't ask. But do clean first"

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Gaichu is, indeed, the best.

Alacron posted:

NO
Goddammit Taz. :cripes:
just the beginning of the bad food we'll see and eat. Particularly if a certain ability bite, the level 4 ghoul track be selected for Gaichu. This is both a request, and a challenge!

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Stroth posted:

"Why the gently caress do you have an assault cannon?"

Strange. I understand every word in that sentence, but not the whole of it.
(Hurray for game not checking what equipment you bring to missions!)

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

seems relevant.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
"Ethiomalian territories"
*check map*
...what?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Is0bel, Gaichu, Gobbet - Always bring a decker ; And since I don't remember much of this mission, the rest's rotation.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Is0bel, Gaichu, - dunno who's louder, the cop or the murder drone, so free slot.

Arms ain't worth protection, I gather.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Foxfire_ posted:

It was originally invented as a mechanical game balance thing so that players couldn't have magic and cyberware at the same time.

Why, tho?
I mean:
"it's cyberpunk plus fantasy! dragons as CEOs, wizards and hackers work side by side!"
"Can I play a cyborg mage?"
"no"
Doesn't fit with the jive.
How is the game balance upset by that? Isn't needing to invest resources twice enough?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

Some of those corpses don't have much meat on em though. Too much metal.

So, two sharks meet, talking about their week.
"Ate a diver yesterday. Was quite tasty, but afterward I had terrible gas!"
"You idiot! You need to peel them first!"

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Kanfy posted:

Alright thread, unlike in the previous game, dedicated personal runs aren't automatically just with the person in question. We get to bring one other companion with us to DeckCon, so this is a simple :siren: vote for one person :siren:. For predictable reasons Gaichu has the most unique interactions on this run as well, but it doesn't matter too much who we bring overall, so have at it!

Racter may get us one karma point if you follow a walkthrough, but Gaichu is funnier.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Whole part with the clams - both very "game-y", and I ain't sure how you supposed to figure it out by yourself.

Kanfy posted:

Not sure how relevant this is to us, but all the best to Chef Bun in their future endeavors, with a name like that they were clearly born for the job.

Obligatory: "I thought they said the catering will be grilled hamburgers"
("This is the first thing you think when you hear steamed clams?" Yeah, ain't shellfish county over here)

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
In the developer's commentary, they mentioned that since Is0bel is a serious, humourless character, they wanted her mission to be silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
This entire mission could have been an email titled "I'm sorry".
Oh well. Clams!