Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The use of AI for the credit sequence doesn't feel like it was done as a cost-cutting measure.

Of course it was?

You can do a unsettling-morphing credits sequence that doesn't look like poo poo, it just costs money. This one does look like poo poo, but didn't cost money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Just give the people the legal procedural they're clamouring for and you can do the show with maybe 5, 10 CGI shots in the entire season.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Timby posted:

As I recall, the prevailing rumor from leaks was that Murdock didn't even suit up until the fifth or sixth episode.

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1446151707029917697

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Maybe she's moving back into Apt. 23.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Are there any examples of him really chewing scenery? This is very important for deciding whether or not I can get behind this.

That's kind of what he does. Star Wars, Girls, Marriage Story,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDFdroN7d0w

Maybe he's worried about being typecast as a masked villain in children's stories though.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I hope Kumail orders himself a pizza today.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I love that Roberto was in that first episode, that's what I wanted to see the most from this, having more Mutants appear, even if it was for one episode.

Did the intro always have Emma and Deathstrike in it?

The X-men lineup is the same.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

Maybe this is because the new episodes are mixed for more modern/fancy sound setups. I listened to it on headphones with spatial audio and it was all really punchy as well as being very immersive 3D sound. Sometimes when that gets mixed down to stereo it loses its oomph?

Yeah, the show is in 5.1 Atmos and that youtube upload is not, so it's flattened the sound quite a bit. It's particularly noticeable with the electricity sound effects on the X-Men '97 logo at the end of the credit sequence, it's much more boring on the youtube upload than on D+.

It's still true that the sound effects on the rest of the video are a lot less pronounced than in the 90s credit sequence, but yeah, back then they had to mix things to make sure that you could discern the SNIKT on your 15 inch CRT's tiny mono speaker.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Sailor Moon transformation sequence, incredible.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lammasu posted:

I love it when comic book creators let their fetishes shine through.

What's the fetish here, "I like naked women"?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The opening credits have been changing up every week. This week, the new clips I spotted were of Mojo, Forge, and Xavier+Hellfire club.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You know, I really thought the off-hand "Magneto was right" they snuck in during Motendo was the writer's room throwing in a cute easter egg but getting the "Magneto was right" meme out of their system.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Changing the 'other woman' in Scott's psychic affair from the comics to Madelyn is a very clean way to streamline story arcs, even if I'm kind of a Scott/Emma 'shipper

That didn't really work for me. This version of Madelyne is Jean. She doesn't have a different history or personality, she's just literally the same person. The idea of Jean being upset at Scott because he loves Madelyne is really silly because up until like, five minutes ago, Jean and Madelyne were the same person and they might as well have flipped a coin as to who left and changed their name and who stayed and remained Jean. Of course he does!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Two shots of Nimrod in the opening credits. I'm sure it's nothing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

No I think your level of understanding is up to speed with everyone else's. Maybe we'll find out more soon!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Xavier wasn't gone THAT long, why is his hoverchair absolutely covered in grime

It got dirty when Madelyne Pryor briefly sent it to hell and nobody bothered to clean it up.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Skios posted:

The talk of the theme song reminded me of my favourite obscure 90s trivia:

The original X-Men cartoon was produced by Saban Entertainment, who also brought the Power Rangers to the west. The demand for that kind of content was so high that they produced a number of original series, including Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog, which applied the formula to Irish mythology. And for whatever reason, the German dub had an intro by folk band The Kelly Family, which riffed on the melody from the X-Men intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MURRgSd4ecM

It feels more probable to me that they were riffing on the Whitney Houston song that X-Men is also likely riffing from. It was a big hit in both the US and Europe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0oRnyXxIrY&t=52s

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TIP posted:

there's a much clearer (and earlier) source of inspiration for the x-men theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-6AfYgqe_4

I mean, Ron Wasserman absolutely for sure heard the Whitney song over and over. For Linda to have inspired him, you have to believe that what, he was diligently following cop shows from the other side of the iron curtain during the 1980s somehow?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I appreciated them giving Kurt a third sword just to make that dumb nein joke.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

People are really good at watching moving images on television and not doing any kind of reflection or analysis. People who post on message boards are weirdos! For a huge chunk of the population, thoughtful intelligent people even!, "what was that movie/episode of television about" is a question that will get answered by a straight recitation of the plot, not by trying to unpack themes or messages.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

zoux posted:

Oh also who was the shadowy lady in the villain conference call?

https://twitter.com/BeauDemayo/status/1785687482601988212

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

iceyman posted:

Show Creator said that Bastion can be seen in just about every episode prior implying some sort of twist maybe? But he doesn't seem to be anyone we already knew. So is he just doing a where's Waldo or something?
Yeah, it's very much a Where's Waldo.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

swickles posted:

There is money to be made, so they are full on now. Speaking of which, when are we getting action figures?

Last July, with another wave a few months ago, and also a set of Funko Pops,

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

A showrunner is a boss. He didn't have "fellow workers" he was management.

I find the idea of saying he has to be rehired silly given that we don't actually know what he was fired for. It obviously wasn't become of the quality of the work.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't deMayo's name on literally every script, meaning he had to have written the majority of it, by WGA rules?

Not exactly. There's something like a majority requirement for movie screenplays if the credit goes for arbitration, but whoever wrote the first pass gets their name on it if they contributed even a third.

WGA Screen Credit Manual posted:

The first writer on an original screenplay shall be entitled to screenplay credit if such writer’s work represents a contribution of more than 33% to the final shooting script. Any subsequent writer or writing team must contribute 50% to the final shooting script. A subsequent writer who is a production executive, or a subsequent writing team that includes a production executive, must contribute more than 50% to the final shooting script.

Film credits are very winner take all - either your name is in the credits for the movie or it isn't, so those are pretty binding - if someone feels they got screwed, they're going to go to arbitration because there are six figures at stake. A writer who did (say) 80% of the work can voluntarily choose to share credit with someone who did 20% of the work though, that's allowed.

The rules for teleplays are a lot fuzzier and subjective, because the work is a lot more collaborative across the season and between episodes. There's nothing like a % threshold in there, and a (soft) limit of two writers per script, but with no contribution minimum to be featured on a script. In a writer's room world, credits are a lot less tied to specific episodes, though they still may be. Maybe you have two writers who each contributed one scene per episode for the entire season, and so you give each of them a "written by" credit on one episode, but their work isn't actually particularly concentrated in that episode, you just want to give them a credit somewhere.

There's no real question that DeMayo did a big chunk of the writing and story work for the season (and his name isn't even actually on every script, so it's not like there was a practice of "his name goes on everything" in the room), but for TV you can't assume that "name on a script" means "wrote 33%+ of that script" in the way you can for movies.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Was there ever a concrete answer as to what the issues were?

This isn't specific, but one of the Witcher writers tweeted this on a day that DeMayo gave an interview trashing them.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Charles probably didn't need to take the big Magneto pin-up poster from his bedroom to put him up on the briefing board, the team knows what he looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

live with fruit posted:

The last episode, and "Previously On," ended with "Magneto is right" and now we're supposed to be on Xavier's side while he mind rapes Magneto so mutants can try to live together with people who hate mutants so much that they inadvertently let themselves get turned into Sentinels? Am I missing something?

It's a work of fiction that you can put work into interpreting yourself! I don't think you're "supposed" to be cheering as that thing happens, and you can also decide what "Magneto was right" means, and if you agree with it, and what the implications of Magneto being right would be on the ethical thing to do going forward.