Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Why has SWORD not contacted an Avenger yet?

I think a precedent was set when no one was called when the president was kidnapped off Air Force One to be executed on live TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I honestly thought Monica was just referring to herself when she said that, but I am happy to be wrong and it be some cool cameo.

She's almost looking into the camera and smiling when she says it so it definitely seems like a tease.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gonz posted:

I dunno; Disney was able to keep Deepfake Mark Hamill under wraps for an entire year.

I don't think anyone knew Simmons was going to be in Far From Home.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Both of those have some benefits in that no casting notice had to be given out to agencies, and the men in question never had to be on set with the rest of the cast and anything but a bare minimum crew.

So they're just bringing back Ioan Gruffudd?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Boxman posted:

Does the MCU have enough villains that lived through their movies' endings to do a Thunderbolts? Introducing a bunch of heroes then saying "TWIST they were villains" when we didn't see them be villains seems...sorta dumb.

EDIT: I actually thought about it. Zemo, Batroc, let's say Yellowjacket from Ant-Man survived, one the Damage Control guys from Homecoming, Ghost.

Sure, that's enough.

Dustin Jammer.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

One the other hand, anything that gets me more Hannah John-Kamen on any screen I watch is a good thing. Besides, now that she isn't in constant agony from being torn apart and restitched on a molecular level, maybe Ghost has some time to be a conspiracy huffing weirdo. The fact that this would also probably get me more Lawrence Fishburne is a bonus. I doubt this will happen any time soon because John-Kamen is likely going to locked into doing Resident Evil for the next ten years or so since she's Jill Valentine in the one premiering in September.

Adding Ghost to the Thunderbolts is a little inconsistent since her whole thing in Ant-Man and the Wasp was resenting being turned into a weapon by SHIELD. Why would she feel any better about it with Ross?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

Unless, by the end of his own Disney+ series, Loki is convinced/coerced/tricked/forced into returning to that moment so that things can play out as they did the first time around. Then it's a ripple, not a wave, no different from any of the other borrowed stones. The timeline can recover from a few ripples, Agents of SHIELD covered that in season 7. And then proceeded to create so many big-rear end waves by the end of the series that we never got to see if that theory was actually right.

This raises question about the power stone timeline. Thanos, and his entire armor besides Gamora, is dead, which means that none of the snaps happened and that the Nova Corps still exist, amongst other side effects. If the Loki show has to get him back on a collision course with Thanos, there's other loose ends they need to deal with too.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

It would be especially great if "Daredevil" never showed up or was mentioned in the movie. Peter just has a couple scenes with his lawyers, Nelson & Murdock. Peter may notice that the one lawyer keeps showing up with fresh injuries every time, but says nothing, because it would be rude to ask a blind guy why they seem to be so accident-prone. Nelson & Murdock just showing up as lawyers for other superheroes is something that happens pretty frequently in the comics, especially Foggy Nelson.

Really though, if Nelson & Murdock do get just one appearance in the MCU proper, I want it to be on She-Hulk's show.

It's better in Spider-Man 3 so then we can get a scene with Foggy and Happy for the metas.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Consummate Professional posted:

Just like the last Spider-man 3

And considering that they set up the Sinister Six, probably how the Amazing Spider-Man 3 would've been. It is inevitable.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

I know the Russos might have some big skeletons in the closet but, god, I'm so glad they gave the following Avenger movies to them. They also got rid of that terrible Captain America costume from the first one.

I'm so disgusted at how he has treated people.

...what have the Russos done?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

JoylessJester posted:

So with:

1) SWORDs name change,
2) the technology SWORDs developed during the blip.
3) The video of Wanda's raid, where SWORD are experimenting on Vision
4)The Director's speech about hard choices etc.
5) Heyward tracking Vision

We're clearly leading up to something with SWORD i.e. building evil weapons or some other evil scheme.

Makes me wonder if the Luke Skywalker cameo is Fury coming in to clean house before taking off for space.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Do the commercials that Disney actually puts out run on regular TV or are they just for the internet?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

Dude, I feel your pain. Loved the ep and it was the first era flashback I was alive for and I was shocked how well they captured that. I miss early 00s/ late 90s commercials with rad animals.

Hoping like the one goon that Wanda truly is the big bad. Don’t mind smaller parts by minor villains but always liked when heroes break when they realise all their godlike powers are not enough: see pre Rez 90s Hal Jordan. The execution was meh but the concept I always thought was gold. If this is all a plot by Dormammu or Nightmare I will be so disappointed.

The 00s/10s commercial should be a take on the anti-humor Skittles/everything ads.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I'm also fully expecting a big ol' cameo or new MCU character that comics fans will know to tease what Wanda will be up to the next time we see her, or as part of resolving this mess. Hell I'll take a big swing and suggest that Disney actually managed to keep a secret and when Wanda's at a pivotal psychological breaking point of deciding to try to just Hex the planet or let it end and lose Vision, Chris Evans will pop up as Captain America (manifesting as Wanda's powers creating a version of him) to give a really good Cap speech and make her let it all go. MCU fans would love it and I think it would be a nice allusion to the time they spent together training and bonding in that time between Avengers 2 and Infinity War. We're all expecting a different cameo, and that'd still be satisfying and make sense to me, but if Wanda's control is slipping to the point where she subconsciously made a Pietro out of thin air, just like she made her kids, then I think Cap appearing in a similar way to Pietro (and with a similar knowledge of what she's been up to) would be interesting.

They've name dropped Captain Marvel two episodes in a row so it kind of feels like they're tipping their hand, though she would probably tease more for Monica than Wanda.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

Has it? It’s a reasonable inference to make, and I know it’s been confirmed that both WV and SM3 lead into DS2, but I’m not sure how official the WV/SM3 connection is. I may have missed or be misremembering something, though.

Doctor Strange 2 was originally supposed to come out before Spider-Man 3 so it can't be that serious a connection.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Spacebump posted:

In Spider-Man Far From Home they mention having to redo a whole school year despite doing half before the snap. This is a few weeks/couple months after Endgame.

I guess Far From Home is maybe 9 months post Endgame? Maybe longer. They blipped back during the school year, so everyone that came back might have just been given an early summer.

If nothing else, FFH is set during the summer while WV seems to be in the fall.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

About Valkyrie I already knew. Wasn't it gonna be Jane Foster? (I think it was implied in a Comic Con)

Eternals I didn't. I hope they do some good work with it.

Jane lusted after Thor hard so making her Valkyrie's love interest would be awkward. And it'd make it seem like Jane has a throne fetish.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

enki42 posted:

I don't think the issue was that Valkyrie is a woman, it's that having a character have relationships with two successive Asgardian monarchs is a little weird.

This. It's not that she's sexually attracted to men and women, it's that she's in a relationship with the woman her ex named new leader of Asgard. Makes you wonder if Loki would've had a shot had he not tried to enslave Earth.

Then again, Thor dealing with Jane and Valkyrie in a relationship seems like something Waititi and Hemsworth would milk the poo poo out of.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 14, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

radlum posted:

Yeah; I kind of want the twins to still be around, both because Billy and Tommy are great characters in the comics and to see them around with Wanda would be a cool change to their dynamic (since they have had just a few moments together in the comics), and we would avoid the whole "Wanda goes even crazier after losing her kids".

Also, there has to be a reason we have barely seen scenes from the "Modern Family" episode, I'm guessing they are keeping the older versions of the twins under wraps (though I fear that if they are played by randos, then they are goners).

If they can stay pre-teens from the 80s to the early 00s, they can stay that way through the early 10s. Plus, yeah, they recast Cassie Lange from a nobody in Endgame to Kathryn Newton, who's starred in her own movies before. When they age the twins up, they'll get real actors to play them.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

eke out posted:

she posted a crazy antivax video, said she was just asking questions, then complained that she got cancelled when it blew up, then deleted her twitter

The video was also racist and transphobic.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The Dave posted:

Are those rumors anything more substantial than people on Twitter guessing?

It doesn't seem like anyone knows anything really. There were rumors a couple of weeks ago that the guy from Bridgerton is going to be the new Black Panther.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

As far as making Wakanda/BP films without Boseman, I feel like making Shuri the lead is far and away the obvious choice by way of popularity and the tech-genius hook, whether or not the character actually takes on the BP mantle. We'll see if the actor goes further down the Carano hole, though.

The thing about that is that she was T'Challa's Oracle in the first movie. If she takes over the mantle, who's going to drive the VR cars?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Bring back Killmonger from the dead and redeem him :colbert:

Okoye is the clear choice.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jedit posted:

You spelled M'Baku wrong.

The guy in the gorilla mask who doesn't even like sea level Wakanda?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Nakia is an experienced intelligence operative with great knowledge of the outside world and was the one who pushed T'Challa to change and embrace becoming part of the larger world and helping other nations, and she was the River Tribes' Champion at the King Ceremony, AND she was T'challa's romantic interest and could have easily married him and become queen at any time AND she has a built in character arc in taking over sole rule of Wakanda because now she has to operate within the political constraints of the Throne which was something she showed she didn't really understand during the Killmonger crisis.

...there's no way she's gonna be the new Black Panther. :(

She's also the most likely one to dissolve the monarchy, which is something the series has to deal with eventually. But then, if there's no throne, there's no Dora Milaje and Okoye's gonna need a new job.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lid posted:

WandaVision not doing Arrested Development is a missed opportunity.

More like the Who?ssos.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

I'm kind of wondering how they'll work around how someone else even becomes Black Panther after T'Challa's demise in the story, given that Killmonger burned all the heart shaped herb and T'Challa ingested the last one. They'll probably say that was just one colony in the royal palace, and T'Challa was able to discover another or nurture more due to his spiritual connection or something, but they don't really seem like something that'd be growing wild (or there'd be at least one other Black Panther running around after finding some of them) and there's no reason the palace would have multiple plantations of them but only burn one on the king's orders. It might even tie in to the narrative, with the next ruler needing both to fight for the throne and to find some heart shaped herb to truly become ruler.

Or Shuri will just create a synthetic herb.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Teek posted:

Shuri is going to have to eat some of her brother's flesh to get power, which will also kick off Marvel Zombies in the MCU.

Bad news for all the M'Baku fans.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Black Panther never goes deeply into its political structure, but there is clearly this whole council of the different tribes that has power and a big deal is made when Killmonger stops listening to them besides the Tribe that is literally the police. Like is it an ideal government? Probably not, but it's a movie for children telling a fantasy story. It philosophically gestures to Democratic ideals just like it's bad that Aragorn is still a monarch in real world terms, but him kneeling before the Hobbits gets across principles of democracy without going into the wonky creation of Middle Earth Parliament.

The first movie is about imperialism, and part of T'Challa's character arc is dealing with how terrible all the previous kings were. By the movie's own language, it has to deal with the fact that Wakanda is not a democracy at some point. Especially since basically everybody but Angela Bassett is displeased with the system as it exists.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Hughlander posted:

One thing that struct me when Vision freed Norm he played the pronoun game. "She's in my head. None of it is my own. It hurts. It hurts so much. Just make her stop."
He never said Wanda. It could still be Agnes/Agatha.

But then Kitty Forman pleaded specifically to Wanda to save her husband. She, at least, though Wanda was in control.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

(as though there's something wrong with critically evaluating the show on the basis of how Disney/Marvel are choosing to release it; they could have done the Netflix binge model if they wanted to)

But the way Disney/Marvel are releasing the show has nothing to do with the quality of the show and will cease to be an issue a month from now. Anyone watching WandaVision for the first time after it's finished will be able to binge it and the actual writing and directing and acting of the show will be the exact same.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I think she may be the person messing with Wanda. When she broke the glass, her blood was red. In the first two episodes color was mostly used for things that don't belong there. She also hasn't been seen since the twins were born.

Dottie also wasn't on the board.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Spacebump posted:

imo, this show is better being released weekly. I didn't think so at first, but a lot of the fun has been discussion/theories between episodes. If it had been released all at once, a lot of discussion on this show would be done.

I can understand why people want all the episodes out at once, but the way they are released now makes episodes not blend in. Any of the big surprises would have been ruined for a lot of people that couldn't watch it all in one weekend. It's also nice to have something to look forward to once a week.

A bonus of the weekly episodes is that there's going to be new MCU material like 45 weeks a year. That's obviously good for Disney, because then people won't cancel their subscriptions, but it's good for fans too because it's practically nonstop.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, Wanda's overcome with grief and suddenly (and unknowingly) possessed of phenomenal cosmic powers. I don't think it's a tremendous stretch from there to have her be redeemed.

She could, for example, team up with Doctor Strange to fix the problems she created.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I think the problems she created will probably be resolved by the end of the show. If I had to guess, I think Dr. Strange is going to teach her how to control her powers so she doesn't unconsciously do something like this again or destroy the universe or create a bunch of mutants.

The movie's called In the Multiverse of Madness. It seems more likely to me that Wanda is the source of that madness.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Maybe? But I doubt they'll have the central plot point of one of their major movies stem from a TV show. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'm doubtful. I think it's more likely that the multiverse stuff will be unrelated to Wanda and she'll be introduced as Strange's ward/student/etc.

We already know, or at least can reasonable infer, that she's done some multiverse shenanigans because of X-Men Pietro. We also know that the idea of the multiverse is known, at least in some circles, by the time Mysterio starts attacking Europe.

And I don't think we can look at this as just "a TV show." Everything is interconnected in the MCU, to the point that the plot of this show hinges on a consensus bottom five MCU movie, and the shows will probably be no less important than the movies.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The latter should probably be a given, since Mysterio's whole thing and all. The former would be super disappointing though. Marvel's got no reason to hold back now and needs to get the hype train rolling again, this is the time to be swinging Disney's dick around.

This wouldn't be a case of Mysterio lying though. This would be him accurately guessing a paradigm shifting discovery.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ouhei posted:

To me, there's been too many instances of her knowing what's going on, not freaked out about it, and a ton of subtle links to her character and the character of Agatha Harkness in the comics for it all to be nothing.

If I were to take a stab at what's going on (spoilered incase): Agnes is Agatha Harkness and manipulated Wanda into creating this false reality, she probably told her what SWORD was doing and that she could bring Vision back. I think she's present in the false reality so that she can poke and prod Wanda to keep it going and expand it. I think the longer the hex reality goes on and the bigger it gets, it messes with some sort of dimensional barriers that could allow someone like Nightmare or Mephisto to break free. People like Dottie and maybe Herb are people working with Agatha. The show ends with Wanda having maintained/grown the hex reality enough for Agatha's plans to free said otherworldly demon have either succeeded or can no longer be stopped. Dr. Strange 2 will be dealing with the aftermath of what the hex reality has done to the multiversal barriers so Wanda will naturally want/need to help.

Do Vision and the kids live? If I had to guess Vision won't, but the kids will...but I'm not super confident on that call.

One thing that's sort of slipped by is that Hayward pointed out that Wanda doesn't have a codename and then in the next episode Agnes is dressed up like a witch. The clues all seem to be there that she is who everyone thinks she is.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

If this was their third or fourth TV show and/or a movie was only weeks away, with a safe atmosphere to ensure people would go see it then I can maybe see that happening. As is though, that movie probably won't be out for at least a year, and with COVID issues it might be even longer before it's released so I think that's unlikely. They need this show to do well, to help sell people on Marvel TV shows as a viable format for the MCU as a whole and doing something like that is outright guaranteed to piss a lot of people off because the story isn't actually self-contained in any way.

Doctor Strange 2 was originally supposed to come out this May. They didn't know COVID was going to shut the world down when they started planning everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Kinda feel that would be a cop out given that was the plot of Captain Marvel.

Also I had a thought of what could have been cool but not really end to Endgame. The snap didn't bring dead people back to life, it brought their 616 versions into the MCU, mutants and all. Cool idea until I realized then that'd mean their original world just got snapped and they wouldn't really be the same people either.

The Kree were gaslighting Carol into being their weapon. She didn't get anything out of it. Even if someone is pulling Wanda's strings, she's still getting something out of the Hex and is explicitly fighting to keep it together.