Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Intruder posted:

Buccees is severely overrated

Overrated, but not bad. Good brisket, but I ain't going back into that madhouse until I catch the vax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Intruder posted:

The early 90s Oilers were ridiculously stacked, they should have won at least one Superbowl. I guess the run and shoot just doesn't work. Like the 35-3 game where they should have been able to just eat away the clock but the scheme doesn't really allow for it. No establishing the run

Jack Pardee coached a CFL team the one year of their American expansion after that, and as a season ticket holder for the entirety of the lifespan of the Birmingham Barracudas, I got to see how it didn't work anymore in the CFL either.

You'd never see so many pick sixes on bubble screens in your life.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If it came out that Buzbee got several women to make up the same stories about Watson, (which I like y’all find highly implausible) it’d be the greatest gift any shithead sports fan defending someone on his team accused of rape in the future could ever get

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jesus Christ. Proof that the rumor mill isn't foolproof. Did anyone ever have even the slightest inkling Watson was a creep?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

There was poo poo about Cosby (the Costand case) and Louis CK (barely-blind items) years before their reckoning, but I haven't seen anyone yet point to a space where the accusations on Watson were known prior to this.

I'm curious how Buzbee managed to keep the lid on organizing this many accusers and keeping them quiet before the bombshell

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Did Watson have some weird upbringing to leave him hyperfocused on this poo poo as an outlet?

I know he's churchy, but I don't remember him as being super-duper Jesus side

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

God if this goes back to Clemson :stare:

I know in cases like these you're only supposed to wish for healing for the victims and punishment for the offender, but I really loving hope some poo poo comes out on Dabo

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Because just like many people in this thread, when the news came out they went 'Oh, that lawyer? Obviously it's fake bullshit' and didn't give it another thought.

I think most people in here were, at the first accusation, "this guy is weird and connected to the team and something smells", but everyone eventually did the Cosby math and said "well 22 women aren't lying".

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Is Buzbee still the only attorney for any of the plaintiffs?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’ve never actually really thought about the implications of breaking an NDA. Say Watson paid off a woman for like 10k. If she comes out with what happened is she now criminally liable or just on the hook financially? Would Watson have to personally sue her?

It's a civil agreement, enforcement of it is a civil action. It'd be on Watson's attorneys to petition the court for judgement.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

As alluded to earlier, Dabo gets involved

quote:

“We are disappointed to see his name in the news and all that is going on,” Swinney said after a practice on Monday, via TheClemsonInsider.com. “Look, I love Deshaun Watson. He is like a son to me. That is how I love him. As far as all the legal stuff and all of that, that will all take its course and all of that stuff. We certainly can’t speculate or comment on any of that stuff.

“But all I can tell you is that I have known Deshaun since he was in the ninth grade. And that he has been nothing but exemplary in every area that I have ever known him in. Three years here, as a player, I think I had a chance to yell at him one time because he was five minutes late to a team meeting that he overslept for. And that is it. That is the Deshaun I know. I can only base my thought on my experiences with him, which have been wonderful. Again, I love him like a son and we will just have to see where everything else goes from there.”

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2021/03/22/swinney-asked-about-watson-saga/

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how Dabo essentially said “I hope it’s not true” but never really said it couldn’t be.

I will go off about Dabo on a hair trigger, but this was correct of him

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You know a part of him is going “oh Christ are they going to find out I knew he was doing this while on my team?”

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

How much worse is Urban going to be though?

Bad, but not worse.

Although his personnel decisions certainly point to a hilarious bonfire.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

lol that this is still the Jack Easterby thread

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

His lawyer is going to drag each woman through the mud. Every one is going to be painted as if they are doing this just to chase a paycheck, and that any interactions with Watson were discussed before and after and parties at the time agreed they were all consensual.

It's going to be some of the worst victim blaming poo poo we've ever seen, and it tragically might work depending on what evidence Watson has to support his argument.

Yeah, this is going to be Instagram Thot: The Musical.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Well Houston, That Right There Is Your Problem

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Plumbers, by their very nature, have to go into peoples' houses. I'm fine with one of them being benched while two dozen sexual assault cases are pending.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

if they're training hard then they absolutely do. sports massages are not an enjoyable experience. i knew a guy who did them for the georgia tech athletes and he'd often put a bucket under their faces on the table because he could make them throw up.

Watson absolutely could work out hard enough to warrant that. Of course he's just getting them this frequently because he's a sex monster who likes to pressure masseuses he meets on instagram into jacking him off and milking his prostate

I found this out the hard way. I was on a four-day at Edelweiss, the Armed Forces resort in Garmisch. I had a massage booked, and they said I had several options, one of which was the masseuse who worked with the German Olympic team, but they warned me it would be intense. They said this in front of my wife, so of course I said "Cool".

She turned out to be a 5 foot blonde German who weighed less than 100 lbs, and who had thumbs that could puncture steel plate. I'm proud that I didn't manage to cry.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

See I always had the impression a massage was supposed to be enjoyable. Just having a friend sitting on the couch in college giving me one it felt so uncomfortable. I just started to feel massages weren’t for me so never had a real one.

Professional massages in a relaxing environment are an otherworldly experience if you've never had one. Find a decent spa and try it; any professional masseuse will respect your boundaries if you state them up front.

It's a shame the experience has gotten tainted by association with our country's one cheap trick to get around prostitution laws.

And not all massages are meant to be enjoyable; as Fiz said, sports massages are basically "manhandle this ridiculously tuned slab of muscle back somewhat towards normalcy", which requires some really sadistic practices. It was my dumb rear end that didn't realize that at the time and tried to puff up in front of my wife. I earned my suffering.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

There's no loving way he plays. The NFL will take that choice out of the Texans' hands long before then. Remember, this is the offseason. When the coverage machine starts up again in training camp, you would see volumes of IS IT A DISTRACTION takes and questions that would force the NFL to finally do something.

The only possibility is he settles all these claims before the season, and the NFL investigates and doesn't think they have merit.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I tell you what I'd like to know; what institutional support he might have gotten in college and pros to squash news of this stuff, and what level of journalistic incapability allowed him be this prolific without any reporter catching the scent.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty striking how Watson's profile in the media has been like the greatest dude of all time before this.

Clone Diana Moskovitz. I've said it ad nauseum, but I can't believe other sports outlets haven't tried to steal her from Deadspin/Defektor, or at least create their own. She's made breaking stories like these her bread and butter.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Depending on how quiet people who knew about it were it might not be journalistic malpractice; word of it might just never have reached a reporter's ears until suits were filed

I'm not calling malpractice (unless we hear that someone sat on this story), but it's kind of amazing that there wasn't a whisper network loud enough to tip a journo off. They pay attention to message board rumors and poo poo as leads too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

she sticks her thumb in the eye of power and doesn’t draw huge numbers of clicks. i think she’s great but ad people probably think she’s poison

I'd love to argue but every Deadspin editor has repeatedly said the most traffic they get is from non-news, non-sports silly stuff, so....yeah.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The NFL wants no part of a Cosby level rapist (or if you're charitable, Schrodinger's Sex Criminal) in weekly highlights. I'm as cynical as y'all about the inevitable (at least attempt at a) redemption arc, but that's at least a season or two away. If the Texans don't sit him, Goodell will.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ehud posted:

[Tua saying the NFL is easier than I expected, except it’s me talking about moderating]

Wait until some broke-brain starts harassing you offline over a probie

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Didn’t he make Pro Football Talk from nothing?

Like many of his stories, yes

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Have Easterby or the Texans made a peep since it blew up, beyond the standard "monitoring the situation" pablum?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Guarantee a lot of teams are going to their training staff and asking fi there's anything they need to be concerned about

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Yeah I'm sure they're all eager to find that out and by liable for knowing that information.

lol y'all seem pretty unfamiliar with the make-it-go-away-without-telling-me-it-exists type of orders I've gotten from superiors

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LOL it is hilarious how the ESPN crew will not only not even mention Deshaun Watson's name, they won't even mention his situation or even his existence

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

Robert Mueller was recently hired to try and determine if the sky is blue and found no conclusive evidence.

I want a Bob Mueller, PI book series with him just being the most incompetent, self-important boob

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kalli posted:

Thinking about the book the douche from the Good Place wrote: Six Feet Under Par, a Chip Driver murder mystery.

FOX NEWS ALERT- DID PINKO FORMER FBI HEAD HAVE TORRID AFFAIR WITH SOCIALITE SCARLETT PAKISTAN

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

She never says that discovery is bad. She says that cooperating with the NFL before the normal court discovery process plays out is usually a bad idea for the interests of a non-player. It is seriously not that hard to understand, and I don't see how anybody can argue her point with a straight face

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ehud posted:

Deshaun has started posting on social media again.

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1395069132207493127?s=20

That feels weird and tasteless to me in the middle of all this poo poo going on.

The thousand mile rebuilding journey of a brand starts with a single post

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Not cooperating is what got Brady suspended

Not cooperating is what kept Brady's suspension to 4 games.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

the weird flying-under-the-radar element of this case (relatively, given the NFL) can't continue forever. At some point, if the Texans won't suspend him, Goodell will have his hand forced by public opinion.

He will not play next year

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The NFL is better when at least one team is openly and unashamedly criminal. Just like it's better when at least one is openly and hilariously incompetent.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

that was a bad time to live in atlanta and still listen to sports radio.

Was that the heyday of the 2 Live Stus or am I conflating it with something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kind of amazing that we’re discussing the football future of a QB that is climbing at 0.34 Cosbys