Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, the great thing about TIE Fighter is that you spend like one mission being the idealized peacekeeper that Imperial propaganda would probably emphasize, and the rest of the game fighting against various middle managers all trying to murder each other to rank up. It's a shockingly honest portrayal of life in a giant fascist military machine.

Or you go into a system beset by a small-scale civil war and end up not only uniting both sides against the Empire in a (futile) effort of resistance, but you also (warcrimes spoilers for a nearly 30 year old game ahead) kidnapped the children of their leaders and you basically never hear about them again because like one mission after that you're off to the rear end-end of nowhere to help build an outpost for Admiral Thrawn

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Admiral Daala somehow becomes the head of the Galactic Alliance and exiles Luke for his Jedi order causing problems. Meanwhile new Jedi apprentices are starting to go crazy and developing unusual force powers so Daala enlists a Mandalorian strike team to lock down the temple and then one of the Jedi loses their mind and goes all Kano and uses the force to shove his hand into the Mando and rip it up.

Ok now which plot points were written by Traviss and which are Denning :v:

Edit: unless that's all one book :stonk:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

the strangest thing about the later parts of the legends EU was how time, effectively, didn't pass for most characters. han and leia's kids, and everyone else of their generation, are perpetual teenagers in their thoughts and behavior, and scenes like that slipped through as though even the editors had forgotten that tahiri wasn't still a teen. not that it would be acceptable even if she was, but it would be moderately less awful. luke, han, and leia, meanwhile, seem to have taken an immortality serum around age 55 (at the latest) and are of course still bumping around adventuring and saving their silly kids

Luke having a permanent 1970s haircut that makes him look like a Jedi Eric Foreman because nobody doing work on the games or the novel covers were allowed to imagine him looking like anything else or something. At least TLJ let him hobo it up a bit.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It's no glupp shiito or baron papanoidea...

Or Elan Sleazebaggano

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Really? I always thought those names (Arbiter aside) were somehow simultaneously dumb, clunky, and pretentious, as if the shipbuilder was just a bit too far up their own rear end. And the Covenant using the same nonsense-words naming scheme that the humans did made me roll my eyes even harder. Like if *only* the Covenant did it I could almost get behind it, but having both factions just string words together and call it a ship name felt bizarre.

I mean the human ships started out being named reasonably after locations etc. then they just started going wild with the full phrases

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

The problem is we know it would be pronounced Snooke.

Episode IX: The Jersey Shore

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dave Syndrome posted:

Short answer: Watch "Star Wars: Rebels". He's essentially the main bad guy there.

Longer answer: He's the main antagonist of the first trilogy of books that was released in the early 1990s after a long drought of no Star Wars books. The trilogy was touted as an official sequel to the trilogy, which is why it is still so beloved by fans today. Thrawn is a military genius, imagine a sort of Alien Sherlock Holmes who uses his powers for evil. His fascination lies with other species' culture and art, from which he derives a lot of his deductions and predictions in military campaigns. Also, he is one of the few aliens who rose to any sort of rank in the human-centric Empire. All in all he's a pretty cool character, and a lot of old-school fans really like him, so it was kind of a big deal for fans to see him introduced in Rebels, and an even bigger deal to see him brought into the live-action universe via his mention by Ahsoka.

Also he was a major character in the TIE Fighter PC game from '94 so even people that hadn't read the books may have learned about him there.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

lando is always in a quantum state of using decommissioned imperial equipment to mine in some unbelievably impractical location. doesn't matter what you come up with, he's doing it - using star destroyer repulsor engines to elevate a city built entirely from recovered scrap of the death star which sends tie bombers equipped with mining torpedoes to extract chunks of the planet's core? lando has done it, is doing it, and will do it

Also using old TIE fighters with repulsor fields to let people joyride in an asteroid belt.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ScottyJSno posted:

I could have sworn that one of the Thrawn books or in a comic, they explicitly said they cloned Fel for the TIE fighter corps. Or am misremembering books and comics I last read 10+ years ago?

Sooontir Fel and his clone of a clone Soooontir Fel

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Baron Fel himself is kind of odd in that outside of the last few volumes of the X-Wing comic, he doesn't really appear in any stories. He has a cameo in one of the Crispin Solo books, and I think one or two of the NJO books. So the character casts this long shadow that's basically bolstered by references and sourcebook stuff but his actual appearances are almost nil. Kind of like Thrawn in that way, actually, at least before the endless Thrawn prequel appearances.

Actually looking it up now on Wookieepedia, the 181st Squadron itself is not really in a lot of stories, which surprises me. I feel like I remembered them showing up everywhere in the old EU.

If you played Rogue Squadron they kinda played a big-ish part in the middle of the game. It's where I heard of them and since I didn't read a whole lot of EU stuff I also thought they must be a big deal if a video game is referencing them.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

the 181st couldn't have shown up more often and also remained the most elite tie interceptor squadron in the empire, because wedge is obligated to blow up at least 30 tie fighters whenever he gets into an x-wing

Well as TIE Fighter taught me, the whole "you gotta complete 20 missions in a regular TIE to become an Interceptor pilot" thing is bullshit because I was in an Interceptor pilot by the 4th mission, so obviously they just keep replacing pilots as fast as Wedge can destroy them :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Coronet City for what you see of it in Jedi Academy also has a bit of a Chicago vibe what with basically fighting on a massive El-Train that whole level

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

He's the worst. All you really need to know is that he was a student at Luke's Jedi Academy, was lured to the Dark Side by a Sith Ghost, killed billions with ship that could destroy solar systems, but then turned back to the Light Side, so everyone just forgave him. And everyone's just cool with that.

Anakin murdered scores of children with his own hands and still got redemption so it seems like the bar for redemption is pretty low. Though I always liked in some of the legends novels Anakin would appear to Leia as a force ghost and she'd be all "ok so you did one good thing at the end of your life that doesn't make up for years of atrocities including blowing up my home planet and torturing me while on the Death Star". To his credit he at least admits she has a point and fucks off back to wherever Force ghosts hang out when they aren't manifesting.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

I think that only really happens in The Truce at Bakura.

I don't remember which novel it was unfortunately, but I did think it was at least a nice touch that he wasn't just going to be remembered well just because he threw the Emperor down a massive hole. Of course I read that pre-prequel trilogy what with all the child killing :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

I read most of JA, and a few of the JQ books but was aging out of them by that point. Jude Watson carved out a nice little niche for herself.

She also co-wrote the two Star Wars Science Adventures books. In which a kid gets stuck in an escape pod with R2 and Threepio, and then treks across an unknown world with them. All while learning scientific principles. It ends on a cliffhanger that is never resolved.

I remember reading the first one of those books. Taught me about atmospheric re-entry principles...even though I'm pretty sure Star Wars never really gave much of a thought towards that :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

There have been a few Han-centric books and comics since the buyout, but the one with Rendar wasn't a novel sadly, it was one of those Jason Fry in-universe document books. I think it established that Rendar was just off-screen in the snow planet in Solo where Han and Lando first met.

I like the idea that even in New Canon, Dash Rendar is still the "I was in the back the whole time" guy.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

i thought it was just delayed

goddammit i want to see corn horn on the big screen

I haven't seen anything saying it was cancelled either but maybe my Google-fu is weak

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Cage himself has had choice lines about "not making games for fags" and "in my games, all women are whores"

Also while not as terrible by any means he has no loving idea what certain narrative devices are. So he's a creep, an rear end in a top hat, and a moron.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chaosrefined posted:

There's a part in the book where Revan and Canderous go to find Mandalore's mask and the latter introduces Revan as "Avner". Ugh, loving really. Even the character they were trying to fool wasn't impressed with that one.

Li'l Avner, dark lord of the Sith from Dogpatch

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

For all of Darksaber's many faults, it is very memorable. I (strangely) also read it when I was 14 (I'm 38 now), and I also remember it. (spoiler tags for Crazy Joe Wilson in case they ever decide to read it) The Lightsaber Death Star. Daala and Pellaeon reunifying the Empire. The death of Crix Madine. The Hutt killing and cloning that one scientist so he could keep killing him over and over again. All of it.

One minor note it was Palpatine doing the repeated killing of Bevel Lemelisk

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Return of the Fungi :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And also Dr. Ball, MD for some reason

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

No 8-track :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Warlord Banjō Ginga

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
SOTE also gets referenced quite a bit in X-Wing Alliance with Black Sun and Dash Rendar (w/Outrider) making appearances

Edit:

Casimir Radon posted:

But the movie had already pissed me off considerably in the first 5 minutes with “lightspeed skipping”.

This also exists in X-Wing Alliance :v:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 9, 2022

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

I was about to say that the Trandoshan religion was invented as a joke by a comedy sci-fi writer (George Alec Effinger) but then I remembered I was confusing it with the Weequay Magic 8-Ball religion.

Wait, what is this now?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:perfect:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And Finn is in a coma

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Animal Friend posted:

Actually I think you'll find he just wanted to tell her he was force sensitive :shepface:

Also wouldn't she have probably been able to sense that through The Force already?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

I was a bit concerned that it was too big a project for Aspyr since they’re mainly known for doing Mac ports. Looks like I might have been right.

To be fair Aspyr was doing fine with the various ports of other Star Wars games, but KOTOR is just a different beast from something like Jedi Outcast/Academy or Republic Commando or Episode 1 Racer.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

There, proof...not that anyone was asking for it.

It was a big deal for me.

That's pretty neat, and also looking at this made me realize I had read this book in the past completely at random chance.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ninjahedgehog posted:

My one annoyance with the 90s EU covers is that they only had the rights to Mark Hamill etc.'s appearances as of 1983, so they weren't allowed to age them up or even alter their outfits too much even if the book took place decades after RotJ. It's pretty lol, but kinda heartwarming, that Leia still wears the dress the Ewoks made her 30+ years later

I think this also extended to the video games so like 19 years after Jedi you still have Luke looking like he did at the end of Jedi giving out orders to Kyle Katarn (who by dint of being an EU character was allowed to change) and the rest of the Jedi Academy.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

The World Between Worlds and Mortis are easily confused for each other because they are both terrible and do not fit into the WWII dogfights in space story.

You mean the Samurai and Wizards in space story

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

Sheev is a bad named because it sounds like Steve, and you probably want to avoid calling your main villain Steve Palpatine, and you're on the money about Ethril, too.

Yeah like who'd imagine a dictator having a bog-standard first name like Steve or Joseph :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Robot Style posted:

It is kind of funny that Traviss was so happy to overwrite other people's stories, including mentioning in interviews how much he enjoyed retconning things, but then left the franchise in a huff when George Lucas decided "most Mandalorians are pacifists during the Clone Wars". She compared it to writing a series set in World War II and being told partway through that the publishers had decided Hitler no longer existed.

In retrospect that should've been a big clue.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

As light and silly as they are it's especially funny that they were written by a brainworm-rotted raving conspiracy theorist, and that some key plot points of the series are based on his views of the JFK assassination (Jedgar = J. Edgar).

Ok but how does the Leia Droid with laser eyes fit into that :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Vaguely related, a random NPC in the WEG book 'Cracken's Rebel Operatives' turned out to be Jan Ors. Given her stats, she could have gotten the Death Star plans herself.

Given how many components and versions og the plans existed in the Legends Canon sometimes it feels like half the Galaxy was in on the heist.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the first game reference is actually X-Wing in 1993, where there's some stuff involving protecting the Tantive IV on its way to Toprawa. Dark Forces makes an oblique reference to this, as the opening mission is apparently the second phase of Operation Skyhook.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 7, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maverick was the Death Star trench assault made into an entire film.

You mean Maverick was Iron Eagle II :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

I maintain that the old EU timeline should have just stopped with the end of the NJO and never moved forward past that point. Just say “and they fixed the Star Wars and everyone lived happily ever after, the end”.

"Everyone agreed they were tired of all these Star Wars and decided to implement Star Peace"