Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DrPop posted:

I didn't realize they cut factory down to 5 PMCs until I heard Worrun talking about it. Can you still go in with a five-man?

Yeah you can now make Factory a purely PvE experience other than player scavs, if you have a reason to do so. (Unless they changed it since a couple wipes ago.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
100 NFTs drop onto an island.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Streets is targeted before the end of the year.

:psyduck:

Orv
May 4, 2011

LGD posted:

yeah Streets is apparently planned for version 12.13, so I wouldn't be holding your breath for it in the near future

I don't care how many piles of knee high trash that are going to impede your hitbox they want to place two years for a loving map is wild as poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bussamove posted:

This is my first wipe but didn’t they also basically double the size of Woods and Customs in that time?

They did, yeah and both of those were really good expansions. I still don't think that makes two years to release a map a good look for any game, regardless of the level of detail (random trash scattered everywhere with rare or no meaningful gameplay impact) and to be fair that's also about the time scale that Hunt, Tarkov's basically only competitor is at for a new map, so it's hardly a Tarkov only problem.

That said my actual concern with Streets, timeline aside, is how performant is it going to be and I can only assume the answer is going to be "not."

Also getting shot from one of a trillion goddamn windows but Reserve already kinda has that going on.

Orv
May 4, 2011

InevitableCheese posted:

We must fully balance the beta testing format before finishing the game. Who cares if it’s the actual intended game or not, it’s what got popular on Twitch. /s

What you are playing right now is the beta testing loop for the game where equipment is practically given away for free at high rates, you can raid on any map you want, and players are allowed to amass a billion roubles over the course of a wipe. This allows the players to heavily test gun and equipment interactions, track map flow, tweak AI, etc. If the rare loot was actually rare there’d be hardly a reason to let us free beta testers play.

Wonder what the player drop off % for this game will be when physical trader locations, being required to survive maps at specific extracts for travel between them, weapon durability, gun jamming, etc are introduced. The norm will be lovely guns and ammo you piece together over several raids (if you survive).

I guess it remains to be seen, but the vision I’ve heard Nikita talk about for this game is hardly like what people are coming to it for at the moment.

See this was definitely true like three years ago but I'm pretty sure that for all Nikita has his vision, he likes the game being popular and making a ton of money more. Open world and all that stuff are probably dead.

Though it's gonna be extremely funny if they aren't.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Have they said much more on the arena front than "boss fight/rush mode"?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Its Happening! posted:

Maybe I'm too old school, but I just want a game where everybody is on a level playing field. Seems like every game lately has been tilting the table more and more, not just to favor those who spend money on the game, but to punish those who don't until they give in and open their wallets. Hence my hesitance to even start with Tarkov.

Honestly if you want Tarkov without all the extraneous parts, you've got Hunt. If something about Hunt doesn't do it for you, guns, mechanics, whatever, you've got things like Squad, Hell Let Loose and Post Scriptum, larger scale, more pseudo-realistic team based shooters, basically hardcore Battlefields. Failing that, people still play the poo poo out of Battlefield 3 & 4 if you want modern ones and 1 and 5 (jesus christ Battlefield names) still see a fair player base most of the day.

Ultimately I don't think Tarkov is gonna be what you want, given what you've said.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bussamove posted:

You’re not the first person I’ve seen say this lately and I’ve been feeling the slap down lately a lot too. I don’t know what it is but it was a drastic turn about a week ago. Lots of headshots from the hip and snipes from nowhere. It’s been extremely disheartening, honestly.

I'm always wary of calling cheats but the person I typically duo with and I have had a number of deaths lately where we both get pop-pop one tap headshot by the same person in a split second which is about as close as it comes to being obvious. Even if it's not a genuine rise in illegitimate kills, Twitch drops for games like Tarkov, Hunt et al do tend to draw out the most vicious goddamn people for some reason, just absolute nightmares.

Orv
May 4, 2011
An ARPG style seasonal system would be a huge boon to the game and while I'm sure they're fully aware of it I'm also sure they probably won't implement it until the game is 'done' which is rough.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ShowTime posted:

How big do you all think the found in raid change with the secure containers really is? Just curious.

I think as long as they're selling EOD with the stash increase and the container upgrade it's always going to be some level of paying for power or at the very least major convenience. Think about how much money someone starting out in Tarkov throws away on average; unneeded meds, ammo, whatever they lose when they inevitably get clapped by some gear lord on their first two hundred raids. Even if ultimately a gamma is only saving them 10-15k in meds every run by not losing those meds, it adds up with how fast your average new player bleeds money before they start learning when and what to shove into that gamma instead. God knows I still occasionally loot practically worthless poo poo because I can't be assed to cross-check or remember every flea price.

I don't think it's as drastic a benefit as it used to be, having EOD but it's never going to suddenly stop being an advantage.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Khorne posted:

what are the pros/cons of this game

I like games that have big flaws as long as they do some things really, really well. Would that accurately describe Tarkov? An old friend is trying to convince me to play.

Pros:
- Best in class shooting. No game has the gun feel, recoil skill (occasionally mitigated by gun building) and general play making of Tarkov.
- Intricate, large maps. Occasionally a downside but more often than not allows for big plays and playing the game the way you want, avoiding conflict etc.
- Gun building. Systems like the gun building from the most recent few Ghost Recons or Call of Dutys, where you can swap out just about every major accessory, taken to absurd extremes. Swap out literally every major functional piece of anything bigger than a handgun and strap all sorts of dumb poo poo to handguns to compensate.
- Intensity. A long-standing buzzword for shooters in particular but after your first time sitting still for thirty minutes (rare but it happens) listening for the slightest sound to give your opponent away, only for it to end in seconds in a blaze of explosions and gunfire? You'll be back for more.

Cons:
- Extremely, viciously unkind to newcomers. Old meme graphs about games learning curves would put Tarkov going backwards off the X axis for several miles. You will spend days, weeks or even months dying in inexplicable, fantastical ways before it starts to make sense. Familiarity with other high lethality shooters will help, as will friends to carry you, but it's gonna suck for a while.
- Extraneous systems/mechanics. Tarkov leans into REALISM in a way that few games ever have and probably goes a little too far, bogging down the good shooting parts with some things that just don't need to be there except for fetishistic, actually-not-that-realistic reasons. This is probably the most variable con for most people, some people like a lot of it and some of them do genuinely add to the experience.
- Questionably competent or motivated dev team. Long stretches of bad gameplay decisions and design, only finally or half fixed, decisions made in light of things that don't seem to make much sense from the player side and a general distaste for increasing playability of the game in general. A definite sense of "our vision" marred by some dumb design. Ultimately something that only a few people drop the game for but it's something to be aware of. One day, years from now, the Tarkov that exists now may be completely gone, unlikely as it is.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 14, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Have they completely eliminated the bag of holding/tardis effect on everything but the various cases? Seems like everything but the cases and the docs/keyring I've found since playing again now takes up its actual size in inventory but I've probably just missed something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

InevitableCheese posted:

They got rid of stacking infinite backpacks if that’s what you mean

I mean things having a larger internal inventory in grid spaces/size than they take up themselves.

Orv
May 4, 2011

bird cooch posted:

I've been meaning to give that a try. Does it require a new account or anything like that?

It's entirely locally run, you create a dummy account essentially as part of the setup process, that feeds bullshit to the bullshit server and off you go.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 14, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

No judgement here, but is Single Player Tarkov just you running around booping Scavs?

I mean, they're definitely nasty enough to be a threat to everyone who hasn't memorized the scav patterns, but do they keep the game engaging?

It has options to simulate enemy PMCs by giving them much higher quality equipment and having them roam around the map. When I tried it at least, back when it was brand new, they were basically just super high tier gear piñatas that posed zero threat and left you swimming in crazy good guns and stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wait times just seem really bad at the moment for no particular reason, even at peak hours.

That said Reserve gets a ridiculous number of potential player scav spawns, IIRC.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Play game for fun? Shoot mans because want to?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Christ, I haven't played any real significant amount since before the flea market - and honestly early on in the implementation of quests is when I quit for a while - and it's roooough coming back and not really remembering the stuff that hasn't changed and most of it has but above it's a real fuckin' nightmare when literally everyone is geared to the nines in every single raid. I gather it's been like this for a while, too.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As good as the Hunter can be I don't feel like that's gonna play ball against regular squads of dudes tricked out in level 5/6 stuff with 60 round laser guns but I'll give it a go. Definitely having to relearn a lot of stuff at the moment.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe I've put this badly. I'm just trying to get stuff done, PvP definitely isn't a focus and I'm not hunting players at this stage of relearning stuff but it's been fairly frustrating to try and do a quest or find an item and running across someone who just pops you once in the chest with an M4 burst the second they see you and that's that. That's definitely Tarkov and has always been Tarkov but it feels weirdly pronounced at the moment since everyone has that kind of kit, instead of maybe a couple guys a raid and my options for dealing with it are basically nil if I'm playing/running what you might consider normal for my level of progress.

I think I'm just adjusting to a post flea market Tarkov but it's rough and definitely not the game I'm used to from a couple years ago.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 22, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just watched something that said they're targeting 40 PMCs for Streets and I have no idea what to think about that. Terror, mostly I guess.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Now put that in your T H I C C for Inception levels of organization.

I think they put a stop to that.

Also oh, there are mines there on Shoreline. No map says this, it's fine, that's fine, it's okay. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

You mean the ones by the big gate area in the SW corner of the map? That's the first map I played when I first got the game and I did the same thing. I just assumed someone was throwing grenades at me.

Yeah I'd never actually had cause to go down there and I was sprinting away from a couple large boys trying to add extra holes to my head and found out.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah the upside is I'll almost certainly get my poo poo back cause lmao good luck fuckers I sprinted dead rear end into the middle of it

Orv
May 4, 2011
So since mines weren't a thing last time I was playing any real amount, how do they work? It seems like they instantly and infinitely rearm? Are there set placements or is it just "You walked X yards in a minefield take damage."

Orv
May 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As far as I can tell its just intensifying areas of "X% Chance to trigger a mine every ???" the deeper into the minefield you go.

Probably a reasonable way to have it set up, yeah, thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's way more than I'd pay for any bike on earth but I feel like that's a fairly innocuous hobby to nerd out about and connect with viewers on, which I assume is what's happening there rather than gross flaunting but I suppose 50/50.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 30, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Perennial garbage poster shits up thread for thousandth time, people are surprised.

Unrelated, turns out the paid bridge extract on the woods expansion has a sniper sign I didn't notice, woops. Was trying to pay and took a shot in the chest, thought I was taking fire from someone camping, didn't make the connection between crossing the marked line and died like an idiot.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 1, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

Duderclese posted:

I did this too. Ran behind the extract car and got two shot because I am a dunce. This was of course after paying. So, insult to injury, as it were.

Same! It was found money so I thought hey why not try that extract instead of hoofing it half way around the map to Outskirts. That'll learn me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This beef stew must be loving delicious cause everybody ate all of it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
On that note is it across all maps now that weather actually effects night visibility? I was super surprised when I accidentally did a night Interchange and could see just about as clearly as daytime as opposed to the old night time raids being always pitch black.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah the moon was out and it was completely clear, but I feel like it used to be on like Customs night runs even a full moon and a clear sky was still pretty dark.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sum posted:

Where is this exactly?

The UN fortifications on the bottom right corner of Shoreline, opposite the tunnel extract along the bottom of the map, though in particular what they said there was a lie.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Hey we actually won a PvP fight, nice job."

Man walks around the corner, spins 170 degrees and pops us both once, standing a good ten meters apart. :geno:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't think anyone is arguing against that point after the last four years of seeing people continually radicalized online and Twitch and Tarkov definitely have immensely toxic communities that could serve as places to further or begin someone's radicalization.

I also don't think Hakimashou is doing this posting in remotely good faith, so.

Orv
May 4, 2011

hakimashou posted:

Explain just what you mean by this

You post like a dumb rear end in a top hat more often than you post sincerely and your Twitch posts read like quotes from something or you shitposting rather than trying to have an actual conversation about it. If I'm wrong, fair enough.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Russian Remoulade posted:

Several of my friends keep badgering me to play this but based on the OP it seems like you need to invest serious time learning maps and systems before you reach the point where you can reliably shoot mans and take their stuff: is there any way to enjoy this semi-casually and get player kills or should I not bother if the lack of ingame map already sounds tedious?

If the lack of an in-game map is already tedious to you I would definitely pass on it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just trying to do quests and these motherfuckers out here taking years off me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb5li9m7d84

Sadly when I tracked them to the scav town by the bridge extract a little later I missed my shot and decided to bail instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

BANNED USER posted:

Having played ground branch, Tarkov is still missing like half of its core features, which isn't good if the game is allegedly in "beta". I blame streamers for the lack of focus on finishing core gameplay before adding "content" like new weapons or locations. You have to appease your sapient advertisements and the company they keep.

I'm really not sure Ground Branch is the example to put up there of timely or high content development.

Not that I disagree that Tarkov is not in a great place for a game in beta for three(?) years now, though everyone knew it was a sham beta when they announced it.