Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Factory. AKSU, double flashlights, drum magazine. Never ADS, just walk your way across the map constantly firing. That's my Tarkov decompression prescription.

Same, but an MP5 with a suppressor and three dirt cheap NcStar blue lasers.

Sit in an office and go full Predator on any footsteps you hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Squad does but it's also a distinctly different type of shooter, being a 50v50 combined arms shooter with two hour rounds and a FOB building and resupply resource system.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

R6 Siege is dying horribly and Battlestate can 100% take this as an opportunity to capitalize on that. All they need to do is add some round-based objective-focused game modes to Arena and bolt on an Elo system.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It veered really hard into hero-shooter with ridiculous gadgets, lost most of its high elo playerbase, the esports side started collapsing, and now 90% of games above the middling rank brackets have blatant aimlock cheaters in them because Ubisoft doesn't want to bother putting any money into a reasonable anticheat solution.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cycle Frontier was interesting at first but it's got a much more arcadey handling of gun mechanics and a loot tier system so it falls into the trap of new players just getting impossibly stomped by some dude with a god tier weapon and no real way to get around that. There's no equivalent of scavs that you can try to loot something slightly more functional than a Space Obrez from, and the damage stats etc being part of the tiered loot mechanic means that, unlike in Tarkov where you can hit someone right in the dome with an Obrez and it's still a 7.62x54R round to the face, your base tier gun is going to mildly annoy the chad with legendary everything for the following 0.2 seconds after which you will no longer be alive.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NeoSeeker posted:

So turning off spatial audio and using a Headphone profile for sound output (if using headphones) with binaural audio ON is The Way?

Correct. Spatial audio attempts to simulate the way a surround sound setup sounds by creating virtual surround sound speaker channels and then doing a bunch of math to make it sound in headphones kinda like a proper surround setup. Tarkov's headphone profile + binaural audio does transformation math on sound sources in the game to simulate the way sounds from different places behave based on the geometry of the scene, so it's a lot more accurate and can handle things like walls and sound reflectivity and muffling.

Tarkov's binaural audio system uses the Steam Audio middleware that is basically the current generation evolution of CS:GO's HRTF audio system. I suspect that any real bugs with it are actually issues on the Unity side.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tabletops posted:

yes, i have. unfortunately.

not in like 'local' voice though, i think i played ~4 games before it just turned voice off completely. so many permanent open mic fucks with screaming kids and poo poo in the background. good lord.

Turn your voice volume down to like, 20% and use the open mics to narrow down where idiots are so you can unload a full magazine into the backs of their heads while they try to concentrate past the screams of little Tayelynne and Jimothy-Mackartyee Jr.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cage Kicker posted:

All I care about is when they are going to give us some playable form of Arena.

Insurgency: Sandstorm but Tarkov would be great for me

I’m still kinda surprised that Call of Tarkov came out before Arena and is actually mostly playable.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

makes it easier to, uh, switch between 16:9 and other aspect ratios without needing to do math? I guess?

actually wait this is a Unity game so it's just because Tarkov exposes the raw Unity camera FOV setting to the UI :magical:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arrath posted:

That sounds like a massive pain in the dick

Video Games > Escape from Tarkov: That sounds like a massive pain in the dick

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kinda want to get into this game again but I’ve bounced off every time I’ve tried. Any pointers to get it to make sense? Mostly I have issues with navigating the maps more than anything else.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Did a scav run on Interchange, heard some chad fighting going on near the exfil I was going for so I ducked back into the Oli loading dock, and another player scav showed up and said "right behind you bud".

At which point I poo poo myself, turned around to see him... and from behind me I hear an "also right behind you bud" from his buddy. We waited for the coast to be clear then rolled out to the exfil together.

I think I like this game.

e: The auth bot on the discord seems to be broken so if someone could auth me that would be rad. Discord username is the same as here.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 13, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So far this wipe I've found piles of spark plugs, bolts, and nuts, and even almost a dozen suppressors, but not a single loving measuring tape, so my hideout is still completely unbuilt.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hazamuth posted:

It is not exactly a losing proposition for the company if they can get pre-orders for a title which they haven't released a concrete date yet. Considering that they were on Gamescom, showing the build, it is very likely within a year.

If you have Edge of Darkness edition and log into the Arena site it cheerfully informs you that you'll get closed beta access Soon (tm).

So, yeah, probably next year.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arrath posted:

Consider moving "hold breath" off of alt, or changing the scope switching hotkeys to not include alt. Kinda sucks to realize you burned your arm stamina faster by switching zoom on your scope and beginning to hold your breath with the same command.

I remapped the stupid useless "sniper DPS" thumb button on my mouse to the F13 key, and bound toggle hold breath to that. Surprisingly enough, Unity supports F13-F15 for key mapping, so now I can toggle hold breath with my mouse hand.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm dumb and bad at this game and it's great. Just had a Factory scav run that spawned with a Vepr Hunter with a suppressor as long as the rifle itself and that stupid 3x8 vertical backpack. Shot the poo poo with some pscavs looting the place until we got jumpscared by a PMC hiding in a corner and all panic sprayed into him. I don't know what I'm going to do with this gun but it's so awful I love it

I should play with goons in the discord so I can get good at this game but I have stupid anxiety and can never convince myself to join the call when people are playing :rip:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

giZm posted:

If you can VOIP with the scav gang you can VOIP with goons.

That's fair, I just feel awkward because there's no pings in the discord looking for more people or anything like that. Tomorrow I'll nut up and join in for some raids -- I reaaaally need to level up and get flea unlocked, pretty much fresh in this wipe at level 7 and I need a source of cheap Elcans so I can do ranged poo poo on cheap garbage guns

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm like 0 for 10 on woods for that fuckin convoy quest and I'm seriously considering hiding in a bush for 20 minutes to hopefully kill off every non-scav on the map before I start going for it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

You ever have a scav run that just telegraphs to you that you're done for the day?

Because I just spawned into the tunnels on factory, grabbed some good loot off a corpse, and then Tagilla bashed my head in from behind before I had a chance to realize what was happening :suicide:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Also I encountered a low level PMC that homer laughed at me from a bush and after I killed him I realized he has no weapons and a can of WD-40 in his rig.

I assume he was just sitting in that bush huffing wd-40. :smith:

Some of us just won’t ever escape from Tarkov :smith:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Geeze, where is the gasoline these days in Tarkov? My go to for Generator fuel used to be the back corner of OLI on interchange, but I've run a half dozen raids through there and haven't seen a single fuel can.

Flea market. 180k for a 100/100.

It's generally easiest to do a scav run or two and turn that into rubles and turn the rubles into a day's worth of gas, unless you have Streamer Server luck and can magically loot five billion rubles worth of poo poo off the dumbest scavs and players known to mankind in a single raid.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm wondering how much of a clusterfuck the first stages of this wipe are going to be, and if it's worth starting up again for versus continuing to poke at other FPSes.

On one hand, I could just keep playing games that are kinda interesting. On the other, if I wait three weeks on this wipe I'll be going into raids against people with class 6 poo poo while I'm trying to knock out Jaeger's base quests.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

They really need to actually put the full set of ammo stats into the in-game inspect with tooltips.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

There's invisible claymores in some buildings in Ground Zero. Why? Because BSG hates you and wants you to suffer.

Embrace the suck.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scav matching is fuuuuuucked at this hour in US West. Spent 25 minutes in queue before getting kicked out with no loss.

I coulda died like, four times as a PMC in that time!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I had no idea this was a thing.

Friggin' Tarkov, man.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

always remember to check corpses on your way out of an uneventful scav run

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Woods is a lot better when you can actually get some concealment instead of standing out against several square kilometres of snow.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Patch 0.14.0.1 is going up, list of fixes from BSG's twitter:

● Fixed incorrect ammo penetration and damage calculations in some situations;
● Fixed the ability to inspect and modify unexamined armor lying on the ground;
● Removed the display of integrated armor component prices on the trading screen;
● Fixed the incorrect behavior of Rogues when defending the water treatment plant buildings on Lighthouse;
● Reduced the loudness of footsteps on snow;
● Fixed the inability to complete some quest conditions;
● Fixed an issue that caused infinite loading into a raid when playing as Scav in some situations;
● Fixed visual effects of bloom and sun glare on all locations;
● Interchange color correction is now closer to other locations;
● Fixed the lack of fog in optical sights in some situations;
● Fixed the inability to pick up some items, including quest items;
● Fixed the ability to pass through solid obstacles in some situations;
● Fixed the ability to transfer items displayed in the Hall of Fame for quests;
● Fixed the Airdrop loot appearing as not Found in Raid;
● Increased spawn points for Scavs on the Ground Zero location.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

For some reason I managed to do this on 1st run of Woods this time. I dry practiced finding the letter offline, then didn't saw a single enemy during the actual raid.

I got lucky this wipe and spawned just south of Jaeger's campsite. I started real late though so now I'm dealing with the clusterfuck of doing early leveling quests while everyone's in mid-wipe gear and hosing me down with AP ammo out of suppressed guns.

Also this loving snow needs to gently caress off already.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've seen so many more extract campers at Emercom on Interchange this wipe than ever before.

So many bodies. Walked out of a scav run last night with two kitted assault rifles, a kitted MP9, two Five-Sevens, and a class 5 armoured rig just from looting dudes who got extract camped.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

The wiggle video guy also made a video about Sue Klebold (mother of one of the Columbine shooters) where he lied pretty much the entire video and was a huge weirdo when he got called on it by a smaller channel who dissected all his claims and deception.

he pivoted into being an investigative journalist, lost most of his views, and got sued by someone he defamed lmao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Neon Belly posted:

They could totally make it part of the game lore that one of the traders has a drone flying around the battlefield and willing to sell some footage.

Knowing BSG, it'd be unlocked at level 45 and would require you to get 40 headshots on PMCs on Shoreline from 50 metres away with a Makarov and no armour.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stux posted:

so the same ones the game always had and no one had a problem with. got it.

ah, but, think of the CONTENT that the faux outrage generates!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jakosa posted:

What? Why is mine 24 GB?

24 GB is the complete game, isn't it?

Whole game is 40 GB on my machine.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

-milk
-cereal
-croutons
-tank battery (if on sale)
-apple juice

- noodles (2) (gently caress you jaeger)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Three scav runs in a row tonight I've been sprayed down by another pscav at the extract.

Did BSG break scav karma penalties, because I'm getting flashbacks to the before times

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

did a scav run on woods and came across a level 44 PMC corpse with a backpack full of these? :confused:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jakosa posted:

There has been no PMCs left on Factory, when I do scav runs there.

Weird, my last handful of factory scav runs have had me zoning in between 11 and 9 minutes left with absolutely insane amounts of automatic fire all around me.

Still manage to escape those perfectly while getting domed from 300 metres away by some unknown chad at 3 minutes left on interchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jakosa posted:

I love it when insurance works and I get a mail from Prapor with a single magazine in it. Money well spent! :D

On the other hand, dressing up an ADAR as some kind of meta M4 and getting it back in insurance when the person who killed me loots it and goes "oh you've gotta be loving kidding me" is one of the finer things in Tarkov life.