Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ROFLburger posted:

Anyone have any resources they'd recommend for complete noobs? I'm a MW2 DMZ refugee trying to learn the game. I played a few practice matches and it seems like everything I liked about DMZ cranked up a bunch.

What kind of babby's first game loop should beginners be worried about? I'm just looking for general guidance about what to focus on for my first few dozen games. Should I try to focus on doing quests? Is there anything I can do to level up skills faster? I assume I should expect to get poo poo on every game and not to get too frustrated if I have an abysmal extraction rate.
I'm new as well! Definitely throw in some scav runs when you can. Enable voice (might have to remap the push to talk key) and you may find some friendly player scavs who you can team up with. Look for PMC corpses and equip their backpack to carry out more loot, then extract to transfer it all to your vault. Make sure you have some inventory slots set aside before going in - can stack backpacks to free up a lot of space.

If you have a quest in a hot zone and are worried about losing your best gear, just go in with a shotgun & slugs (and some meds in your pouch of course) with the intention of killing a scav for their kit. I have done this a couple times and was killed by a player within 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ROFLburger posted:

what do i do if i lose the weapons that came with my account? i thought i could just buy new ones with the money i have in my stash but it looks like you have to trade poo poo to the vendors in addition to money?
Time to do some scav runs. Don't shoot other scavs if you can help it - you'll hear player scavs chattering with the F1 button, and often they'll do the head wiggle with Q&E.

If you find a corpse with bigger rig and backpack than yours, use the Discard hotkey to throw your equipped stuff on the ground and then alt+click to equip their poo poo and run outta there before you get sniped from across the map. Do this a couple times and your stash will be overflowing.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ROFLburger posted:

i came across a mountain of corpses on one of my scav runs and i had a hard time figuring out which weapons to take. are there any obvious indicators that a weapon is a particular keeper beyond personal preference? i guess this question also extends to body armor and rigs
If you stumbled upon it - presumably already picked over. Look for stuff with attachments that PMCs brought in. I usually pick up MP-153 shotguns because they're pretty effective, and you can sell 'em for like 30k a pop if they start piling up.

For armor just grab the highest number if you're in a hurry, or could look up some tier charts outside of raid.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Stux posted:

western guns are worth more, pulling off attachments rather than taking full guns is usually the way to deal with having to go thru a ton of bodies etc an d nicely sidesteps having to know which guns are wroth more.
Just don't forget to survive - I regularly get back attachments that were insured. :D

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Stevefin posted:

Todays patch seems to be the downfall, micro transactions and pistols/SKS/shotguns had their recoil nerfed hard, they go back to the sky.

Edit: also snow is going
It just says SKS carbine - I'm guessing that implies all variations?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

LGD posted:

other things that have helped me are:
*repeatedly running similar replaceable kits, which just makes it a matter of roubles (and if those kits are adjusted to your means it very much becomes an "oh well" thing)
Triples makes it safe. Triples is best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jakosa posted:

I love it when insurance works and I get a mail from Prapor with a single magazine in it. Money well spent! :D
That sometimes happens when you don't have enough space to put the mag back into rig when reloading.