Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

So judging from the OP, is the Charlotte Pollard spin-off series generally not considered to be good by fans?

That part of the OP needs to be updated.

It's fine, though the second season is better than the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

marktheando posted:

Oh hey, I've just reached Human Nature/Family of Blood in my rewatch. That three episode stretch including Utopia is so loving good. It's just a shame it was followed up by some of the worst most stupid poo poo ever seen in this programme.

*nods sagely*

the moffat era

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

marktheando posted:

Oh you. Moffat was really good in series 5 and also the one with Bill in it

Yeah you got me with logic and good taste.

I also don't mind 7A, but then you've got long stretches of mediocrity like 7B.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

He was thinking 'oh poo poo I have three hours and two packs of cigarettes left before deadline'

Because that was the RTD way

Not just him, didn't Moffat not finish the script for Let's Kill Hitler until partway into filming that episode? He had everything up until River's "God Hitler's a bit rubbish, let's got kill the Fuhrer" speech done, and then had no idea where to go with it.

And it shows tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Let's not forget when RTD responded to criticisms of his lazy writing (as in, falling back on stupid tropes, trite scenarios, and deus ex machina in many of his episodes) with astonishment, and words to the effect of "I'm not a lazy writer, I write for hours on end" :rolleyes:

He's not wrong though? He can be hackneyed and indulgent, but using the word lazy is just... well, you'd say lazy, but I'd say wrong.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So did you just skip over the part of my post where I explained what "lazy writing" (which RTD was most assuredly guilty of in the majority of his DW episodes) was or what

No, I'm contesting the meaning of the phrase. I'm attempting to argue that when someone says, "no, I'm not a lazy writer", they can be guilty of the stuff you're talking about -- and I agree that RTD can often be so -- but they can also accurately claim not be lazy.

I'm agreeing with you.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In that case, I am in fact guilty of misinterpreting your post myself; as the Second Doctor said to Omega, I am thoroughly repentant. :sweatdrop:

And as the Fifth Doctor said to Omega in the obscure BF release of the same name, I am very good at prattling.

All good friendo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Big Finish are having a Dalek sale for the next week.

I'm torn between The War Doctor or The Eighth Doctor Time War series, since the bundles are discounted right now. For me, 8 is the definitive audio Doctor, so I was going to carry on with the boxsets as budgeting allowed, but since the War Doctor series is finished (for sad reasons), I'm leaning towards that. The Eighth Doctor Time War has got good reviews, but they seem to imply that the ending leaves another installment possible, so I might leave that for now, so I can get it in a future bundle. Is the War Doctor worth it for £56?

I'm also probably going to get Patient Zero, since the 6th/Charley audios are rarely discounted. Anything else that's essential listening in regards to the Daleks? I already have Davros on CD, and it's on spotify too.

I'd argue that neither of the big Time War sets are that great. They're also not particularly serialised, i.e they're not like Doom Coalition or Ravenous where a problem is introduced, accelerated, and reaches a conclusion over four sets. Some of the behind the scenes stuff for The Time War (the Eighth Doctor set, I mean) make it sound like a right mess, thanks to actor availability problems and confusion about the general direction and content of the arc; e.g. a lot of the stories were written before they knew they'd have a companion character involved in the plots, so she had to be added into them at the last minute. (It shows). I'm hoping that whatever continuation they decide on actually has some sort of arc planned out this time.

Also there are a bunch of amnesia episodes.

Brotherhood of the Daleks is a Six and Charley release that's discounted, and I'd recommend it. (it comes before Patient Zero, which is one of the last stories in that arc.) I like Patient Zero too, though the final story in that arc is pants.

I'd also recommend the Bernice set that's discounted, The New Adventures Volume 1. It's very good, and is interested in doing new things with the Daleks, unlike pretty much every War Doctor / Time War story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Crap and dismal, promising more dismal, but since I'm trying to be positive:

- I like Chibnall's commitment to suggesting his cannon fodder are real people.
- soundtrack is still good.
- they exterminated Theresa May.

Jerusalem posted:

I mean hell, look at Missy when she was 12's "prisoner". It was the most advanced and supremely inescapable cage they could make, and both of them agreed that if Missy had wanted to she could have escaped at any time. The Doctor seemingly being legitimately trapped inside felt so off.

I don't think this was a good decision though. You undermine your story by undermining the stakes. Missy gets away with stuff like that because being imprisoned isn't the point of that arc, but it also means you can't tell stories about imprisonment and how that'd affect the Doctor. e.g. the trapped on Earth arcs, or Seeing I.

I don't enjoy the way Chibnall writes his Doctor, don't get me wrong, but I don't think Moffat's power fantasia is the best approach either.

Dongicus posted:

I don't think anything in that episode worked for me on any level. I miss RTD so much lol

Though I think RTD would have approved on the PM's outfits and facial expressions. But he'd also have given her jokes instead of relying on Harriet Walter to bring the funny herself.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lol. Masterful broke the Big Finish website.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Relevant to Dr. Who and transphobes, Big Finish quietly dropped the Gimme Gimme Gimme guy as one of their audio original Masters after his Glinnering got too much for them to ignore

Not wholly, unfortunately. He's in at least one more, as yet unreleased, story, that they recorded years and years ago. But they're not advertising his presence, and he'll not be credited on the cover.

He may also be in Masterful.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

I haven't listened to Masterful yet, but the implication I got from the cover art and such is that they brought back the character of the First Master, but played by Milo Parker as a younger version, so they could lean into having that incarnation without reusing an openly transphobe actor

I'm an hour in, and he's a very different character.

Also there's at least one Master in this cast who's not credited on the website, already. An incarnation played by Gina McKee.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Doctor doesn't really instigate revolutions anymore, do they.

Revolution of the Daleks. Did one spin in circles? gently caress right off.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

Day of the Daleks is a highly underrated serial, it's one of the first stories to really play around with time travel and it has an excellent supporting villain.

On the other hand, Ogrons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I suspect that Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi would have stuck around for the same amount of time as they ever did, but might have filmed more seasons if there had been more seasons to film.

Not a fan of these huge breaks between seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

If Chibnall had any sense of fun (he clearly doesn't), he'd invite RTD and Moffat back to write eps.

I suspect they'd refuse tbh. Seems impolitic.

Rochallor posted:

You might want to check how many episodes have gotten out under Chibnall.

Really, the fact that both Moffat and Chibnall, who have extensively TV experience, have had such trouble with consistent schedules suggests that some major behind the scenes changes are needed. Though who knows how viable that is under the current admin.

Part of this was Moffat's personality though. Yelling at Caroline Skinner that she'd be "erased from Doctor Who", during the middle of a production party no less, was not the sign of a stable showrunner.

Tbh that'd get him fired these days, and I'm not sure how it didn't get him fired back then.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Love and Monsters rules.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Jackie chewing out the guy that's just had all his friends eaten by a monster for being rude to her daughter

You've not seen the episode in a while, have you? :P

Rose shouts at him after his friends are eaten, Jackie never gets involved with or knows about any of that plot.

(Rose's criticism is also meant to be another example of Rose's increasing meanness and short sightedness, but that arc is a bit half baked.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assume the reason we've not got Toby Whithouse in charge is because he said no. Otherwise, Toby Whithouse.

howe_sam posted:

If we're talking things that will never happen, I say hand the show over to Noah Hawley and let him cook.

Yeah, I think I'd genuinely hate this.

Maybe I've got to see him in a non-pretentious context, but either he has no sense of fun, or his idea of fun is very much not mine.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 8, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Isn't the low budget and cheese part of the charm of Doctor Who? Making it a prestige show would be missing the point.

I'd agree. The show's never looked better, but I'd sacrifice that in a heartsbeat for something more creative and less polished.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I suspect they're doing an arc. I mean, they go to the trouble of shipping the guy all the way out from New York every few years, he's not just some random casting.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

The show doesn't have the clout anymore to command this kind of extra production.

It can't even reliably make a season each year, let alone any specials or behind the scenes shows.

Neither could Moffat tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Please let one be Gaiman’s novelisation of The Doctor’s Wife, as he’s promised for years.

Watch it be a super bitchy "what could have been" novelisation of Nightmare In Silver.