Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

hambeet posted:

I'd be interested to read up on this if you had a link?

Not the best source on this but the best studies are ones from the UK where both AZ and Pfizer are in circulation

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00289-9/fulltext

The main takeaway is that AZ's protection grows over time and as yet there is no evidence of protection dropoff.

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah my brother is a doctor in the UK and he advised me against the AZ vaccine just at the moment in a controlled covid environment like Australia at the moment - he'd just had a 30 year old female patient die from clotting. I was eligible for the mrna in the end and have been fully vaccinated but I was quite comfortably booked in for getting the AZ which most of my family over there had been given without incident.

Were both strong vaccine advocates but he was sufficient concerned to recommend holding off given the low covid context of Australia a couple of months ago.

You have more of a chance of being struck by lightning. Lets be honest here, there's a risk to almost every medical procedure and AZ's is actually very, very low as far as that goes. Whatever the status of Covid in Australia, the fact is that sitting on your thumbs thinking that a outbreak isn't going to affect you is a fool's wish and the fact that the office I work in was shut before the lockdown due to a tier one exposure is exactly why the advice to just wait for Pfizer is exactly like playing chicken. It's a pandemic with a disease that is far worse chance of permanently loving you up that can and will appear at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

MythLisp posted:

A horrifying story

May I ask what your family member's age and weight was?

I am trying to Do The Right Thing For My Community and have booked in for an AZ vaccine on Friday (I am 32), and I know scientifically the risk of complications is statistically tiny, and I have plenty of friends and coworkers who got AZ back in March because they're essential workers, but I won't pretend anecdotes like this don't scare me.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Humans are just really bad at probability and statistics, we're programmed to hear a bad thing happened and go oh no and avoid the thing even if the actual risk is extremely low - it's hard to conceptualise what extremely low even means.

I mean I know all of that and here I still am sitting being grateful I could book in a pfizer shot in a couple of weeks so I don't have to wrestle with my own overinflated sense of danger about AZ.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar

https://twitter.com/MrKRudd/status/1409693268862935040

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

I know this is a long bow, but what does this mean for krudds re-election chances?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not the best source on this but the best studies are ones from the UK where both AZ and Pfizer are in circulation

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00289-9/fulltext

The main takeaway is that AZ's protection grows over time and as yet there is no evidence of protection dropoff.

You have more of a chance of being struck by lightning. Lets be honest here, there's a risk to almost every medical procedure and AZ's is actually very, very low as far as that goes. Whatever the status of Covid in Australia, the fact is that sitting on your thumbs thinking that a outbreak isn't going to affect you is a fool's wish and the fact that the office I work in was shut before the lockdown due to a tier one exposure is exactly why the advice to just wait for Pfizer is exactly like playing chicken. It's a pandemic with a disease that is far worse chance of permanently loving you up that can and will appear at any time.

Not intending this as some gotcha at all, apologies if it comes off that way.

The AMA has stated they think under 60s should still wait for Pfizer.
ATAGI advice is still that Pfizer is the preferred vaccine for under 60s.
Even in Britain where your chances of COVID are far higher, the recommendation is for Pfizer for under 40s (although access to Pfizer is presumably easier there than here, which would factor into this decision).
There doesn't appear to have been any robust assessment of risk accompanying the announcement that anyone can get AZ now, the PM just came out and said it (in my view solely to try and deflect blame from the botched vaccine rollout).

To me (in my 30s), that makes a pretty compelling case to wait until Pfizer becomes available or the actual medical advice changes.

e: if the medical advice changed tomorrow and said that due to limitations on supply (and need to vaccinate priority workforces with Pfizer due to shorter follow-up vaccination) and increased spread of COVID in Australia they now recommend AZ for everyone, then I'd probably still feel a little hesitant but ultimately would go get stabbed with the plague.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 30, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

few new cases in SA. everyone's bracing for the lockdown announcement this morning

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Even in Britain where your chances of COVID are far higher, the recommendation is for Pfizer for under 40s (although access to Pfizer is presumably easier there than here, which would factor into this decision).
There doesn't appear to have been any robust assessment of risk accompanying the announcement that anyone can get AZ now, the PM just came out and said it (in my view solely to try and deflect blame from the botched vaccine rollout).

To me (in my 30s), that makes a pretty compelling case to wait until Pfizer becomes available or the actual medical advice changes.

e: if the medical advice changed tomorrow and said that due to limitations on supply (and need to vaccinate priority workforces with Pfizer due to shorter follow-up vaccination) and increased spread of COVID in Australia they now recommend AZ for everyone, then I'd probably still feel a little hesitant but ultimately would go get stabbed with the plague.

This is ultimately my decision as well after sizing it up.

I could go and get AZ now but until people whose job it is to advise the public about getting medical procedures says I should, I'm not going to.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

Humans are just really bad at probability and statistics, we're programmed to hear a bad thing happened and go oh no and avoid the thing even if the actual risk is extremely low - it's hard to conceptualise what extremely low even means.

I mean I know all of that and here I still am sitting being grateful I could book in a pfizer shot in a couple of weeks so I don't have to wrestle with my own overinflated sense of danger about AZ.

what amuses me is people here stats about blood clots and get worried thinking 'oh no that could be me though'

and then people get the sniffles, don't go and get a covid test and end up spreading it around because 'oh no it can't be me though'

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

the medical advice may change because it won't matter to your GP if you try sue them now. that's reassuring, certainly?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

but yeah i'm the same. I see the logic behind what's being said w/r/t AZ, but the advice out there is what gives pause.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I don't give a gently caress whether I get Pfizer or AZ but apparently the forecast is that we'll have enough shipments for everybody under 40 to get fully vaxxed by the end of October... which means I'd actually be fully vaxxed sooner than if I get AZ in a couple days.

But who knows whether that "forecast" will actually play out.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I just found out that colonoscopies have like a 0.3-0.8% chance of bowel perforation with similar mortality rate to AZ clots. So that's like 100 times more likely to happen than getting a clot from AZ.

If we decide to go all in on AZ they really need a public campaign comparing the risk to other things seen as routine and unconcerning, that's probably the only way to convince our dumb ape brains.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What's the point of dice rolling a blood clot when the state government shits its sacks and closes everything down before there's even a hundred cases in a pop of millions? Just get Pfizer in October instead of AZ dose two in October.

freebooter posted:

But who knows whether that "forecast" will actually play out.

I believe Pfizer have been delivering what's been ordered on time, the lag in % is old people not taking their poisonous clot juice.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 30, 2021

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

What's the point of dice rolling a blood clot when the state government shits its sacks and closes everything down before there's even a hundred cases in a pop of millions? Just get Pfizer in October instead of AZ dose two in October.

I believe Pfizer have been delivering what's been ordered on time, the lag in % is old people not taking their poisonous clot juice.

I think you have the UK as a pretty good example of what happens if you don't poo poo your daks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

I think you have the UK as a pretty good example of what happens if you don't poo poo your daks.

I am heavily in favour of making GBS threads them don't get me wrong.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
https://www.news.com.au/world/coron...36ca0f1a69aa34a

I have entered a deep tilt

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Because it will stop the state governments from closing everything down?

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
From what I understand, the risk of getting a blood clot and dying from Astrazeneca, for my age group, is higher than the risk of dying from Covid. Why would I be rushing out to get Astrazeneca again? If it was to protect my fellow citizens, the older people who are most at risk have been able to access a vaccine for a number of months now. How is it my fault if they haven't yet been vaccinated.

Of course, this would all change if Covid was rampant and we didnt regularly shutdown because of a few cases of community transmission.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I am heavily in favour of making GBS threads them don't get me wrong.

You, me, sharks, engadine maccas.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

go_banana posted:

From what I understand, the risk of getting a blood clot and dying from Astrazeneca, for my age group, is higher than the risk of dying from Covid.

You are definitely getting something wrong here. If you are comparing the vaccine risk per capita in your age group to the number of people in Australia that have died (per capita) from your age group, that's wrong. You need to compare apples to apples, you getting the vaccine to your chance of dying if you were infected with coronavirus.

The vaccine is clearly much, much safer than getting covid.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Chadzok posted:

You are definitely getting something wrong here. If you are comparing the vaccine risk per capita in your age group to the number of people in Australia that have died (per capita) from your age group, that's wrong. You need to compare apples to apples, you getting the vaccine to your chance of dying if you were infected with coronavirus.

Based on this my chance of dying if I get covid is 0 and my chance of getting a blood clot is higher than that

https://twitter.com/MelissaLDavey/status/1410068100045705219?s=20

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Organza Quiz posted:

I just found out that colonoscopies have like a 0.3-0.8% chance of bowel perforation with similar mortality rate to AZ clots. So that's like 100 times more likely to happen than getting a clot from AZ.

If we decide to go all in on AZ they really need a public campaign comparing the risk to other things seen as routine and unconcerning, that's probably the only way to convince our dumb ape brains.

It really does have to be something that is routine and relatable for as many people as possible. Arguments have been made along the lines of 'you're more likely to get struck by lightning' in regards to 'things that have a very small chance of happening', but people don't often think about getting struck by lightning specifically, so why would they care about the thing it is being compared to? As far as I've witnessed, people are generally more afraid of things that they've seen happen to others, or that they know have happened to people they care about.

Similarly, if something like a vax blood clot happens to someone they don't like then it's almost a good thing, as though that person deserved to have one and their chance of fatal outcomes was higher than usual. This might make someone more willing to try a procedure, because if it's bad for people they hate, it must be good for people they like. Does that make sense? It's like sports team or video game logic.

I believe this is part of why Scomo stepped up to receive a vaccine early; I specifically remember people saying "If the vaccine is so good, all the members of parliament should take it as well."

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Centusin posted:

Based on this my chance of dying if I get covid is 0 and my chance of getting a blood clot is higher than that

https://twitter.com/MelissaLDavey/status/1410068100045705219?s=20

So that certainly makes sense if you're looking at the whole population and making assumptions like a 'low transmission scenario', and needing information which helps you to make decisions about vaccinating the population.

I would argue that it is very misleading to translate that to an individual level and say "my risk of dying from the vaccine is higher than my risk of dying from covid". If those were the parameters you chose to use to base that decision on, it would be a constantly changing evaluation based on Australia's current infections, your location, proximity to outbreaks, precautions you were taking, whatever. It's just not a useful comparison, it's too misleading and read even slightly out of context is completely false.

Edit: Another way of saying this, is that the risk vs benefit is different on a population scale than to the risk vs benefit to an individual.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 30, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Chadzok posted:

I'm not planning to make an appointment to get COVID either

Chadzok posted:

This is completely disingenuous. Not factoring in the chance of actually getting/not getting COVID, and instead applying an assumption that you will get COVID skews the figures to a ridiculous degree in a country that has so far had ~30k cases in a population of ~25 million

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 30, 2021

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm not planning to make an appointment to get COVID either

And this is the difference between an active risk (taking an action that may result in harm) to passive risk (waiting around to see if something harmful happens). Humans are very bad at these sorts of calculations.

I'm getting Pfizer and I'm not telling anyone to get AZ, I'm just pointing out inaccuracies in this important internet conversation.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

This is completely disingenuous. Not factoring in the chance of actually getting/not getting COVID, and instead applying an assumption that you will get COVID skews the figures to a ridiculous degree in a country that has so far had ~30k cases in a population of ~25 million

Yes, but this could easily change (and in fact the figures are currently changing daily).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Chadzok posted:

Yes, but this could easily change (and in fact the figures are currently changing daily).

Yes, which is why I'm relying on the expert medical advice that has factored that in and recommended I wait for Pfizer, when the situation changes so will the advice, and then so will my behaviour

Chadzok posted:

And this is the difference between an active risk (taking an action that may result in harm) to passive risk (waiting around to see if something harmful happens). Humans are very bad at these sorts of calculations.

I'm getting Pfizer and I'm not telling anyone to get AZ, I'm just pointing out inaccuracies in this important internet conversation.

The issue I'm calling out in your argument isn't about active vs passive risk, it's about assessing the risks of not getting the vaccine based on the assumption of getting covid which throws the maths out entirely. It would be like if I assessed the risks of taking the vaccine based solely on the mortality rate if I do get a blood clot, rather than factoring in the chance of getting a clot.

Or if I was to weigh up the risks of going outside for exercise against the chance of dying if I'm hit by lightning (~10%)

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 30, 2021

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

go_banana posted:

From what I understand, the risk of getting a blood clot and dying from Astrazeneca, for my age group, is higher than the risk of dying from Covid.

OK, let me do this one more time (I'm responding mainly to the "from what I understand").

The statement should be rephrased: "the risk of getting a blood clot and dying from Astrazeneca, for my age group, is higher than the current chance of catching COVID and dying, in Australia, based on the low transmission scenario in that PDF file I saw".

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 30, 2021

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hate to be that guy, but that's not true.

If we assume the average person doesn't habitually carry a gigantic antennae in a field during every lightning storm, the average persons odds of getting struck by lightning here in Australia is about 1 in 253,600.

Note: This back of the envelope calculation is entirely based on the very hastily googled statistic of only ~100 people get struck by lightning in Australia per year, and Australia having a population of about 25,360,000.

Meanwhile, if you're <30 and get the AZ jab, the odds of you getting a serious complication is a little over 1 in 100,000. So if you're under 30 and get the AZ jab you're two and a half times more likely to get some complication as a result in comparison to being struck by lightning. (Fun fact, getting the AZ jab has almost the same risk of death as skydiving, but at least with blood clots people know what to look out for and can go to a hospital for treatment. Unlike skydiving, where I assume there's a moment you know you're hosed and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it).

All of this being said, if people want to make that calculation for themselves, maybe let them? I'm sure there's plenty of people whose personal circumstances mean they're more likely to be hosed over by coronavirus and maybe they're willing to roll the dice in comparison to carrying on unvaccinated and hoping they don't get it.

I'd still suggest the boomers toughen up and get their AZ shot already to free up supply for the rest of us, though. After all, they're the ones who are going to be turbofucked by the 'rona.

Side note: There is an intense irony to me saying this because I was hesitant about the AZ, and have lucked out and gotten my first Pfizer because I live in WA and somehow managed to get my act together enough to pre-register for the vaccine. My AZ hesitancy was largely because when it came out that people were dying of complications of it, all the ones I saw on the news were people in my exact gender/age demographic. However, I also acknowledged then, and acknowledge now that my personal risk profile (and the risk profile of literally everyone in Australia) is subject to change - if my options were 'get a vaccine that has an incredibly low chance of causing a clot' or 'lockdown for an indeterminate period of time', odds are I'd take the shot.

We're seeing that play out now, as well as during previous outbreaks - when it got out in Victoria, the previously-empty mass vaccination centre was overrun, and we're seeing the same now in a bunch of different states to the point that at least one goon's partner cannot get vaccinated despite starting a new job in healthcare and technically being a part of the 1b category because the government has run out of supply for first shots and wants to focus on getting already vaccinated people their second until they can secure more supply.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

TheMostFrench posted:

It really does have to be something that is routine and relatable for as many people as possible. Arguments have been made along the lines of 'you're more likely to get struck by lightning' in regards to 'things that have a very small chance of happening', but people don't often think about getting struck by lightning specifically, so why would they care about the thing it is being compared to? As far as I've witnessed, people are generally more afraid of things that they've seen happen to others, or that they know have happened to people they care about.

Similarly, if something like a vax blood clot happens to someone they don't like then it's almost a good thing, as though that person deserved to have one and their chance of fatal outcomes was higher than usual. This might make someone more willing to try a procedure, because if it's bad for people they hate, it must be good for people they like. Does that make sense? It's like sports team or video game logic.

I believe this is part of why Scomo stepped up to receive a vaccine early; I specifically remember people saying "If the vaccine is so good, all the members of parliament should take it as well."

I am pretty sure Scomo was eligible for the AZ but still got the Pfizer, so he's not exactly leading by example there.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Organza Quiz posted:

I feel like comparing it to this specifically is more likely to make people more hesitant to get probed than feel better about getting vaxxed.

They also don't recommend people under 50 get a colonoscopy unless they are already making GBS threads blood.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

My income hasn't been affected by lockdowns so my bargaining power has actually increased compared to the general population of Melbourne, so I'm on team Novax.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
im getting Sputnik

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm getting a hair cut.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chadzok posted:

OK, let me do this one more time (I'm responding mainly to the "from what I understand").

The statement should be rephrased: "the risk of getting a blood clot and dying from Astrazeneca, for my age group, is higher than the current chance of catching COVID and dying, in Australia, based on the low transmission scenario in that PDF file I saw".

Mate, of course you have to actually catch covid to die from covid. This is such a silly argument. Huge :actually: energy

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Eediot Jedi posted:

I'm getting a hair cut.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

realbez posted:

Mate, of course you have to actually catch covid to die from covid. This is such a silly argument. Huge :actually: energy

Correct with the energy, and in that spirit, in regards to your first sentence, if the chance of catching Covid was any different (as it definitely is with the Delta strain) the statistics and calculation will change, even if the death rate remains the same, so in conclusion I have no idea what you're saying besides something dumb.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

froglet posted:

I am pretty sure Scomo was eligible for the AZ but still got the Pfizer, so he's not exactly leading by example there.

This is silly. Pfizer was approved by the regulator before AZ was, and the PM was rightly one of the first in line - like the opposition leader, health officers etc - to demonstrate to the population that the vaccine was safe to take at a time when there was a huge amount of wariness among a lot of people who would not otherwise be anti-vaxx simply because the vaccine was developed so quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Alice Springs has entered a 72-hour lockdown