Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm playing Fallout: New Vegas this evening, and by lucky happenstance was on the 'Take Drugs, Kill A Bear' quest when the clock rolled around to midnight.
Reader: I took all the drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Bournemouth/Poole/Christchuch got moved into tier 4 a few days back, but not Dorset county council. Sounds simple, but in practice due to the way the new council lines were drawn up after the mergers we now have a situation in Hamworthy thats utterly absurd. All the shops are on one side of the main road which falls under BCP council. But over the road is the majority of the housing in Hamworthy, which falls under Dorset council. Now they cant go to the shop 100 yards away to buy food as this is entering a tier 4 area and you're not allowed to do that according to our MP. This means they now need to go nearly 10 miles to the next nearest supermarket in the Dorset council area, yet all their kids can mingle in the school thats in tier 4 and they can all go to work in Tier 4's Sunseeker yard down the road.

Someone please tell me this is not right?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If his interest was in keeping as many people safe as possible and not wanting to be the sensible option for Mumsnet morons, he wouldn't have been harping on about SKOOLS BEING OPEN this entire loving time.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jakabite posted:

Boris on tv insisting that schools are safe boiled my piss. How can you say that with a straight face???

E: you should keep posting crazyvanman! I don’t think I’d be the only one very interested in the takes of a teacher in your position right now.

It tells you how much he values children, since he's clearly never spent any time with any of his 7 (8?, x?) to have gained any understanding of what they're like.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

justcola posted:

With the world beating track and trace system: What's happening with it? I don't venture out much, but I've not seen any signs for it anywhere, places that had it have now taken them down, nobody I know talks about the app besides one or two people ITT saying they ignored it as they have been playing disco elysium all month.

Seems especially ridiculous now that we're getting 50k new cases a day and schools are being forced open tomorrow and children don't have to wear masks. Even during the famous Blitzkrieg they had fun masks

I know the answer to all of this is that the government are malicious, greedy poo poo heads that think this won't affect them personally so why bother, but the difference in reality and public relations is getting so extreme I'm struggling to comprehend how bad things are. I'm seeing it dribble down a bit in my managers at work stopping furlough from tomorrow and bringing everyone back to the office, people refusing to believe coronavirus is real etc etc. Its as if aliens had visited Earth and started to hoover up people and in response people just shrug and start talking about Strictly Come Dancing

The Govt is hugely incompetent, and is very aware that they've hosed this up massively, so they're telling journalists that they can't visit hospitals and telling hospitals not to let journalists in. Journalists being the pathetic little pissbabies that they are, none of them are willing to risk being kicked out of the "Offishal Guvverment Leak Infermayshun Portal" WhatsApp group to actually bother breaking those rules.
The BBC decided during the middle of 2020 that they were going to focus on trying to be positive in their coverage.

And, of course, the Govt isn't going to do anything that might make businesses angry, so they'll keep limping on with their worthless infinitely incrementing tier system.

And Test and Trace was always dogshit, from the moment the Govt decided to make it effectively an honour-based system. But it's just the runny diarrhoea icing on the steaming shitcake that is every other part of this mass-murdering cadre's response to a global health emergency.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm talking about primary school. Kind of assumed that was where the learning to use a knife and fork age kids would be.

Most school dinners I've had in the last few years have been alright, although I usually forget to bring enough cash to actually pay for it.
As I'm only ever a regular visitor (rather than staff), it does suck if your 'day' is cook-from-frozen stuff like fish fingers, and you have to wait for the timetable to rotate until you can get something good.

It's also less than half the subsidised price I pay at my office, and generally much better quality, which is a long way of saying "gently caress Serco".

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

politics professors are so stupid it boggles the mind

https://twitter.com/PolProfSteve/status/1345758064713101312?s=20

If we assume that political journalists are basically sports commentators, then presumably politics professors are the ones who tell people how to work out what the score is.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just got a text telling me that due to a high rate of people calling with Covid symptoms, the e-Consult system is being turned off for my GP practice.
loving lol

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Somewhere, Nigel Farage is watching Fox News, masturbating furiously.

Just in case any of you needed that mental image

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Written to my MP asking her to propose that Trump is banned from entering the UK. He's way worse than loving Fred Phelps, if nothing else.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Ash Crimson is a loving idiot. Just ignore and move on

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is this the first shitcommunique in international diplomatic history?

I think Venezuela have sent a bunch of those; usually whenever the USA does something stupid.
Iran also seems to employ a few shitposters in their Foreign Office (or whatever it's called).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Which ones are Coco and Thicko?
I'm getting round to thinking the Daily Star is the most leftwing press we have in the mainstream.

The BBC's daily "In The Press" thing suggests it's THE GOVERNMENT. No word on who's who, but I doubt it makes a difference.
It was the Star that Mirror Group bought out, wasn't it?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Isn't most facial recognition software fatally flawed massively useful because it can't discriminate between black people? So, it'll return a "this person is a wrong'un" the moment a person of colour happens to wander past a camera, for any local fascist to beat the poo poo out of in the process of making an arrest?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I posted this tweet because the response is hilarious, but the original tweet embedded with it is the actual story here. Filth absolutely overstepping their mark by a country mile.

It's not like the police are going door-to-door though, is it? Someone on that family's block would have seen a commotion at the house, assumed they were having a party and - probably on speed-dial - called their local station, who sent officers round.

And obviously, it's upsetting for the family, but I'm sure most people feel some irritation when they see/hear about a couple of pricks in a house who decide to have all their mates round, 'cos this whole coronavirus thing is a loving con, innit? Either you accept that people are going to be cunts and break the rules, and leave it at that, or you accept that the police are going to go and investigate reports of people breaking the rules and there'll be some people who get harrassed by thick coppers.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Maybe don't be a loving narc?

Fine by me, but some people seem to live for the rush of informing on someone they don't like. It's part of why authoritarian regimes tend to work so well (for a while).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Reminds me of the article I saw on BBC News, talking about the Georgia run-off elections, in which this piece of questionable writing was found:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I sometimes drink coffee and think, "hmm, that's not bad", but I never drink coffee and think "hmm, that's actually good".

Which is why I mostly drink tea, because some tea is actually good.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This new lockdown is a complete joke.
Far too many exceptions to make any meaningful difference to infection numbers, officials finding any possible way to cram more children back into school, and too many people just not listening to that fuckwit Boris (because why would you?) and ignoring the restrictions.

Between me seeing the headline on BBC News that sparked me starting this post, to getting an email about redeployment and then speaking to my manager, the number of people with Covid in London apparently jumped from 1/30 to 1/20.

poo poo's hosed, yo

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

stev posted:

I haven't seen 1/20 said anywhere? Has it changed today?

Ah, the BBC summary of their piece was confusing - it's "some parts of London" are 1/20. With 1/30 being the overall estimate

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Dogatron posted:

I got vaccinated today in a small district hospital in the north of england. Which was nice.

The way it is being offered is on a first click basis with no targeting of staff. I was stood in my theatre blues in a line of office staff at 10am. The nurse that jabbed me even commented that I was the first clinical worker she had jabbed that day.

The problem with rolling out NHS vaccine appointments via computer clicking in hospitals is that the staff who spend all day clicking on computers will obviously be at the front of the queue. I'm working in a theatre department that has mostly been turned into a Covid ITU. Yet my colleagues can't book vaccinations on the e mail system because they have all gone and they don't have time to read an email that tells them of new vaccination slots opening. Because they are looking after covid patients.

Please can somebody who works in another trust tell me this idiocy is just localised?

At least we will have a resiliant and robust covid vaccinated human resources department to help us next week when we expect the real surge.

Someone else already pointed it out, but that's a lovely attitude to have.
First of all, if your unit has been mostly turned into a Covid ITU, presumably you're wearing effective PPE most of the time so your exposure to Covid during your work shift is going to be limited. There are going to be a lot of staff in patient-facing roles that are at much higher risk of catching Covid than you are.
Secondly, "hurr durr Admin morons" is probably complete bullshit. HR - if they're anything like the Trust I work for - are likely flat-out trying to cover their regular workload as well as sorting out redeployment requests and a range of payroll stuff related to that. I doubt they're first in line for anything. If your Trust is under serious pressure, there probably aren't many admin staff supporting non-essential operations at the moment.
Thirdly, if ward staff are so stretched for time that they can't check their emails, how are they going to find the time to walk to wherever the vaccinations are taking place, queue up for a vaccine and then wait 15 minutes afterwards to check they have no adverse effects? I just checked my work email on my phone; it took less than 30 seconds.

Presumably, if take-up among ward staff is poo poo after a few weeks, someone will notice and try to make arrangements. If not, I'm sure you can send a passive-aggressive email to someone to let them know.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If Scotland becomes an independent nation under the generous, stewardly care of the SNP, it'll be fodder for the Schadenfreude thread for loving years. I look forward to it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

SpicePro posted:

*small rant into the atmos based on almost nothing*

There was someone in the US Riot thread, talking about how the best way - in their opinion - to solve the problem of entrenched attitudes would be to expand the railway network, to make it easier for people to actually travel around. The rationale being that if you get out of your hometown regularly and meet a range of people with different experiences and lifeviews, that inherently expands your own frame of reference and undermines the sort of insular "gently caress those other guys" view that can form in small towns, where opinions get passed around like the same set of genes.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Presumably if staff are that keen to get the vaccine, they can check their emails before/after their shift.
I'm not saying that the logistics of making sure all staff get the vaccine are going to be perfect but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect staff to check their emails.
When I got mine this week, there were a bunch of ward staff either queuing up, or who were waiting out their 15 minutes.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

On a not-exactly-related-but-still-amusing note, the CEO of the EHRC broke the lockdown rules by loving off to her second home in Wales over Christmas (and her neighbours snitched on her, as they should every posh gently caress who has a second home in Wales).
In fairness, she's probably used to following explicit instructions from the Govt, so I can see why not having those could have confused her.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Flayer posted:

All switched to the communist party.

Which reminds me that I learned a lot about the new General Secretary of Unison when I read that she used to be a member of the Communist Party back in the day, and is now expected to provide solid support for Keith Stamper.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's increasingly looking like only a matter of time before my team stops being 'asked' to volunteer for redeployment, and starts being told about all the ways we're going to be helping [not the vulnerable children and young people we usually help] when we are redeployed.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

kecske posted:

high impact reporting... with a lot to offer?

"high impact" in the 'foreheads slamming against hard surfaces at a 90 degree angle' sense, sure

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Endjinneer posted:

"This is good news - a few more days and it will be a definitive trend" is really dialling up the hopeful too.

E- The British Rail class 91 is one sexy locomotive.

On the subject of trains, apparently Network Rail are going to put a tunnel in place on the East Coast Mainline in the next couple of weeks.
By which I mean that they've already built the tunnel, alongside the track, and they're just going to move it into place when they're ready.

I thought it's pretty cool.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's very deliberately trying to garner the outer London vote in the same way Johnson did, but doing it with a selection of the hottest I Reckons that LBC and the Evening Standard letters page can provide him with rather than microtargeted racism like Goldsmith tried.

TBH with the general demoralisation of London in general, the specific demonisation of Khan and the deliberate sabotage being pulled by Westminster (and the fact that - to judge by the increasingly desperate emails I'm still getting from my former CLP - that Labour are *really* struggling for campaign funds and staff) he might be in with a better chance than even he believes.

Nah, Bailey is one of the most transparently thick Tory politicians in a world where Gavin Williamson, Michael Gove, Chris Grayling and Dominic Raab all exist.
No-one's paying attention to him at the moment, because it's not even clear whether the Mayoral Election will happen this year, yet.
When it does, there'll be plenty of time for his racist, classist, foot-ankle-shin-and-knee-in-mouth fuckups to get an airing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Boris - 1:0 - Keith

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I used to try quite hard to encourage the newer members of my team to only do their salaried hours, since there's always more work to do if you stay at your desk.
It's harder to know who needs that sort of encouragement when most people are working from home, though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

Homeschooling is advised for children with autism due to the negative effects of large class sizes, especially if the other children also have disorders affecting behavior.

Just children with autism though adults generally learn how to deal with it.

This is horseshit, just so you know

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Is there a group of people more persecuted than Gypsy/Traveller/Roma in Europe these days?
There are, after all, plenty of NIMBY Tory cunts who'll say nice things about immigrants as long as they can maintain the White Purity Enforcement Zone around their village, but even suggest that Travellers get a bad rap, and they start frothing at the mouth about them.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

I'm sure Toby Young and the Free Speech union will be along to defend Michael Rosen from getting deplatformed and cancelled any minute now.

Toby Young got called out on one of his "but is Covid really that bad?" arseticles from last year in the Telegraph, so they have to run a correction.
But the way our shithouse press regulation works, it's something like 6 months since it was published.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

Lots of labour MPs showing themselves up over the Rafael behr article

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1350736136013017091?s=19

Jess Phillips confirming that her real love in life is shouting "Yeah, gently caress you" at people she doesn't like. But only after other people have started shouting it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

labour are going to get nuked at the next election lol

And the cretins in charge will learn nothing and blame it on Corbyn

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

willie_dee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA-nrXeldCI

What a grim situation. Either emergency services failed during what must of been a horrific time in the individuals trying to help, or a set of dirt bag lawyers is trying to exploit a grieving family to extract a pay out of some kind. Either way, horrendous.

Weeeeell, you don't appoint your own lawyers to investigate something like this if you're certain that the original findings were fair. But, I can imagine a lawyer laying it on pretty thick with the whole "It'll just give you peace of mind" shtick.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

I had been told that the UK had moved towards a system where apologies were made and wrongdoings admitted (as a means to reduce liability cases. Which studies have shown that it often does.) but I don't know what has happened here.

Yeah, that doesn't happen often enough.
Admittedly, it's hard to tell for sure, since the ones where the institution immediately admits their mistake don't tend to make the news (because those wronged are less likely to feel aggrieved in the long-run).
But generally, people are still worried that they'll be fired if they admit that they did something wrong. And, sadly, you only need one person in the chain to be unwilling to own up to their cock-up, and suddenly everyone below them is left hanging.

If I gently caress up, do I trust my manager to have my back? In my case, probably; and her manager. But her manager? Eeeh, I don't know her well enough to be sure. So if the gently caress-up is bad enough to get kicked 3 rungs up the ladder, I'm taking my career in my own hands if I admit my part in it.

Fortunately, in my role, there's a limit to the number of ways I can gently caress up that would require it to be escalated that far, but then I don't work in acute care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Borrovan posted:

A motion isn't an Act.

Just because it isn't binding though, it's still constitutionally outrageous for the Government to just flat-out ignore the expressed will of Parliament. Don't ever forget that, or whose legacy it is.

How is that any different from the other 700 times that a Tory Govt has flatly ignored the expressed will of Parliament in the last 10 years?