Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its not the size of the tv its what you show on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
What's Neil Oliver done that makes him a oval office

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm feeling a fair bit of guilt over my work from home situation, i essentially do 50% of an accounts job with a colleague and she's the kind who does work on a Sunday morning and a Friday night. Shes openly said to me that if we had to downsize she wouldn't want the job and would let me have it. We are quiet right now and my boss phoned this week to say you use the time to catchup any loose ends etc till we know more re the latest lockdown.

On the one hand i adore not having to commute to work all week (still go in on Fridays) but on the other hand it feels like no-one cares if i just do the bare minimum which is kinda depressing in its own way

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I bought the wife a coffee machine 2 xmases ago, nothing fancy and we dont get the most expensive beans but its ruined all other coffees for me

Still love a Starbucks breakfast roll though. The sausages have a pleasant tendency to repeat on oneself throughout the day

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I love coffee and i love a machine that spits out great tasting coffee every. Single. Morning

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
All wine is expensive and tastes pish

Schloer, now that's both cheap and the drink of the gods

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
No-one is drinking it for the taste.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Olives and feta cheese is delicious

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

peanut- posted:

In a fit of new year stupidity I signed up for a vegetable box delivery. Anyone know what a human does with a celeriac?

Also I see Sadiq has announced that London's health service is fully collapsing, great stuff.

When i worked in tesco literally the only person to buy celeriac was a nutty old American woman who made celeriac and onion soup and tried to convince me to do skidpan training

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gort posted:

dare I even ask what this is

Essentially adverse weather advanced driving lessons

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
You hate food?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've known 2 people who claimed to hate food and both were skinny as gently caress and thought they were overweight. Noone just "hates food" without some more glaring sub-reason

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The missus grew up with food phobia, parents arguing at mealtimes, pushy grandparents forcing her to eat veg etc. She's said to me many times that if she could just take a pill that gave her the right amount of nutrients for the day, and never have to worry about food she'd be happier for it.

I may have ruined her theory by cooking her proper lasagne.

Wow that's actually pretty depressing to hear. So like does she not enjoy chocolate?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bobstar posted:

Yeah it's this. Might have been exaggerating slightly, and I have been enjoying cooking things this pandemic, but especially public eating and being judged for what I'm eating, and the rituals surrounding formal communal eating - shudder. The formaler, the worser.

I understand that much much more than someone saying they "hate food" but then my single biggest takeaway from lockdown is that i really really miss going out for tea.

Not trying to belittle though. I could never understand people who take a dump in the office until there started to be 5 people in here instead of 50.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Noxville posted:

I’m fully convinced that most people who hate coffee hate it because they’ve only ever had bad coffee.

Same but weed

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
TIL about Sealioning

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Feeling pretty anxious about going out for a walk at lunchtime today. I'm in the arse end of Scotland so theres not as much danger as someone in a big city or whatever and I've been trying to be really good this New Year about getting out for an hours walking at lunch but feels strangely wrong today, dunno.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Police stopping anyone outside is pointless because above almost all of the restrictions sits the caveat 'except excercise.'

And even that's unclear. I still take the boy out for walks once a day because otherwise he acts like a total bellend. I don't meet other people while doing it, I skip busy places, and even then I still kind of feel like I'm doing something wrong.

This is exactly how i feel bobby, hours walk by myself in the middle of the countryside and its the most criminal I've ever felt.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Dugong posted:

Having my first Asda delivery arrive today and got an email this morning saying half my items can't be included in the delivery. Is this normal? It's not anything exotic, stuff like bin bags aren't available.

You'll often have a substitute if you pick something outrageously fruity - perhaps an exotic Pringles flavour but its normally a 1 item in 40 kind of ratio

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I happened to watch the first episode of sex and the city yesterday. Its all on HBOs website to stream for free but Sopranos isn't which is irritating because I've always wanted to watch it and just never have

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

stev posted:

Do whatever you have to to watch it. You owe it to yourself.

My partner has Sex and the City on in the background all the time (in the same way I have Taskmaster on) so I've probably seen most of the episodes out of order. Seems like a good enough time.

Its fine, its largely nostalgia for me.

Sopranos just skipped me by, too young to care when it first came out and its never on any uk streaming service!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Guavanaut posted:

I thought the big problem with SATC was that it was never explained how they had the money to have the lifestyles that they have, whereas The Sopranos doesn't really suffer from that one.

The ginger one is a lawyer and one of them is an art dealer though

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hmm i can use my mum's sky go, usually just for the football but ill see if Sopranos is on there

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I also just don't like torrenting a tv series, what if you don't like it and suddenly you have 90 episodes you are never gonna watch

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

...are you aware that it's possible to delete files?

Its not the hard drive space that bothers me as much as the depressing thought of yet another piece of disposable media on the bonfire

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I remember being astonished that Kim Cattral was born in Liverpool and even more astonished to rewatch Big Trouble in Little China and see her in it!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Much to my astonishment The Sopranos is on Sky box sets so looking forward to giving it a shot tonight

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Watched the first episode of the sopranos, its all on sky box sets and i don't need to tell you its great but i particularly enjoyed the music choices!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Marcus Rashford is a cool dude

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The medic's rapid fire needle gun would come in pretty handy right now, we'd have the covid vaccinations done in no time.

I appreciate this reference

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

EvilHawk posted:

Am I crazy or has that story been around for nearly 5 years, and/or the guy posted here.

I definitely remember it when bitcoin first "exploded".

It says in the article he's asked the council for permission multiple times so probably came up before

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

kecske posted:

4x 12 hour days were fantastic, until I had kids and then i wouldn't get to see them at all for those 4 days. Also why would you keep working past your end time? I was like fred flintstone, as soon as that bird blasted air it was down tools and out the door

If there's one thing that getting a job in construction taught me its that some people really don't know what to do with their free time and as a result dont like having any

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In two of my (male majority) workplaces, there were quite a bunch of chaps (mostly married) who would get in unnecessarily (so I'm not talking about people on shift or on call) at 730-8am and spend an hour or so having their breakfast, reading the paper, taking a long sit on 'the throne' and hanging around with cups of coffee in corridors and between desks going on about how worthy they were for getting in early, how woefully inadequate people getting at - gasp - 930am (despite said later getter-iners staying til 630pm or later), then they would be out the door on the dot of 4pm.

I used to annoy them by saying the only reason they did that was so they could get out of the whole getting the kids up, breakfasted and to school situation.

Sounds familiar except at my work the folk who were in at 8am were the same ones in at half 6!

Used to hate walking past their desks as i bolted out at 5pm!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Old biddy, god I've not heard that term in years

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Nice article, lead to this which reminds me of visiting Birmingham

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/gongoozler

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Holy gently caress Narc, i hadn't thought about that game in years. The Pixies did the theme for that one!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

mrpwase posted:

Over the past few weeks I've been busy collecting all symptoms apart from covid ones, I'm not sure what my body is trying to tell me
Apart from 'smash capitalism' of course

I woke up on Sunday morning with the worst feeling "cold" I've had throughout lockdown and I was like "this is it i've got the covid" and then passed out and woke up 3 hours later feeling bright and breezy.

one under-rated aspect of this whole covid situation is I haven't had had a proper good old fashioned british cold for months, y'know the kind that some people claim is the flu

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

but also have saved £16k so can't get universal credit either.

Wait a second, do they stop you getting universal credit if you have savings?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

what the poo poo!

no wonder folk don't bother saving money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
wow, I had no idea, I've been fortunate enough to have avoided being on unemployment benefit ever and i had it drummed into my head from a young age to look after my money

i'm not quite at the level where I wouldn't get any benefits but i'm certainly now questioning why i'm sitting in a freezing cold flat with a 40 year old boiler, dodgy central heating and a few spare thousand in the bank