Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
my entire university got a one week extension on all our assignments due to the ravage of plague! i'm well chuffed.

i'm doing really well in my classes, i think? submitted my first project this week, we'll see. i'm kind of worried about a lot of the other students because they are not engaging at all - particularly those who in the first semester had to do their schooling in what was more or less an incredibly expensive leper colony. everyone is miserable because they're missing the uni experience but it don't bother me.

i think i'm finding the isolation a little challenging, i've had to take a break on some of my habits, sleep hygiene is out the window. normally when it snows i'm estatic - i love walking in it, but this year i'm paranoid i'll slip or something and not be able to get medical care/get plague when i do. ugh lol.

i am unsure what more needs said about the political situation tbh. things have proceeded more or less as i expected, which is a shame. i will admit, i did not predict we would try to judgement of solomon our vaccine and give everyone half of what they need for some reason - there are still depths to which i did not realize we could sink, which is almost comforting in a strange way.

at least this time there was no loving clapping :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
nationalism is still mind poison but honestly at this point i'm numb to the moral atrocity of this place. it is very amusing to me however that this flares up now. like, during plague, the most important thing is definitely flags, get them straight and everything else will be sorted lmao

it's not new either, plauges often spur nationalism. see also, the "spanish" flu - people are funny. it was only this week where i saw someone on twitter who was agreeing with joanne cherry that scottish nationalism may require violent resistance - someone i would not normally associate with that horrible terf but who was clearly willing to put aside those things and work towards certain goals. had a real cassandra feel on that one.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
man do you remember that time endlessmonotony declared me a blood and soil fascist for saying guto bebb is a star wars name

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i am personally infinitely forgiving and generally used to prefer to debunk or ridicule silly nationalist arguments. i don't dislike posters, generally, even if i dislike their ideologies, or elements of them. i think right now - humans are social animals and that element of our nature is denied to us and as such it is difficult for us to thrive in these circumstances, we're all sort of getting by and coping the best we can.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

endlessmonotony posted:

Heh this has been a constant problem with this thread from the Brexit vote. Ain't got nothing to do with the pandemic.

oh sorry no i meant people getting emotional a little quicker not whatever extremely valid, astute and existent thing you're talking about, guy who thinks calling guto bebb a star wars name is the same thing as blut und boden

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

endlessmonotony posted:

Keep doubling down on racism about "funny" foreign names, I'm sure it'll be a good point any day now.

to be completely honest with you even at the time i found comparing an amusing linguistic coincidence - the kind that happens all the time and is part of our rich human condition - to literal nazi ideology to be extremely offensive, which is probably why it stuck with me to be honest? you know, you get called a blood and soil fascist and you remember it?

e: sorry, for calling guto bebb a star wars name, let me be clear

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I don't think you're a fascist at all but honestly your post taking the piss out of Guto Bebb's name is honestly something my mind goes to everytime this thread talks about nationalism, because it is such a perfect example of ingrained english chauvinism .

e: it is partially because I have a very Welsh name and English people often assume I'm "foreign"

i mean please finish "blood and soil fascist" when you say "i don't think your a fascist"- i feel like abbreviating it kind of reduces the absurdity of it? like, i'm here pointing out - with no negative connotation whatsoever, just observing the coincidence - and your compromise is i don't think you're a fascist.

i mean hell we could probably even investigate - star wars was shot in the UK, maybe lucas's writing was influenced by the welsh language he picked up somewhere? it's not impossible - perhaps you could find some linguistic connection? there are so many ways we can look at this thing instead of forcing it into this hyper defensive nationalist framework and yet, instead, i'm a blood and soil fascist.

you know actually in hindsight i'm kind of more annoyed at that than i thought.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh no i might not make it into endlessmonotony's good posting school lmao

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Man I'm glad you took the fact that I've never called you a fascist to double down on the fact that you think my culture us alien and comically weird.

quite often when people came to dildo in my childhood and took pictures with the sign i felt the deep sting of my culture being ravaged. but it means a boat part, i think in vain to their cruel smirks and novelty inflatable gift shop purchases.

i'm sorry, i'm not annoyed at you bud. i don't think you're weird, comical or anything else and i have absolutely no intent on commenting on wales in any way. i think one of your mps happens to have a combination of names that is eerily similar to those used in the star wars universe and that's not an attack or a critique or a mocking statement it's just an amusing coincidence and that's it. and the kind of reactions i get - again, compared to actual, literal nazis for this is odd. and frankly, both offensive and quite rude.

which is why i don't mind bringing it up when people might accidentally be assigning credibility to endlessmonotony

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jakabite posted:

You know what is endlessmonotony? The last 3 pages of this thread.

don't worry with just three easy lessons in endlessmonotony's patented good posting school you too can be a posting superstar like whoever the rattler is! learn incredible lessons like "it's definitely moral, tasteful AND dignified to repeatedly accuse people of being devout nazis for star wars name crimes"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dabir posted:

in what way is the new virus more transmissible? would it be too paranoid to go back to washing all your shopping

man i hope not, i finally stopped doing that after finding out the old variant probably wasn't transmitting that way. expensive as hell in paper towels.

Lt. Danger posted:

you loving suck

mate, i took, and take, a great deal of offence to being called a nazi, i don't think that's unreasonable. with that said it's the kind of offence i like to hold on to and display, because the absolute absurdity of it is very funny.

e:

Hey CoolCab if anyone else was telling you your behaviour was demeaning and culturally insensitive would you just crack on with it, out might you reflect on the fact you're being lovely and potentially racist?

saying guto bebb is a star wars name is demeaning and culturally insensitive and not...just an observation of a coincidence?. also, calling someone a blood and soil fascist and refusing to apologize for it, i presume, is not demeaning nor culturally insensitive, given it seems to not be your focus here? i'm just trying to get this clear.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 9, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lt. Danger posted:

things I have read in this thread, in no particular order
  • #notallmen
  • why are you mad it was just a joke
  • accusing me of racism is the real crime
  • you didn't use the correct words, your feelings are invalid

calling someone a blood and soil fascist, can we try and type the whole thing out? cause like, cutting it down to "accusing me of racism" i'm finding kind of reductive. you know, a friend tries to order chinese and uses a lovely term, thats racist, and we address that. to contrast, blood and soil fascism is a nationalist slogan expressing Nazi Germany's ideal of a "racially" defined national body ("blood") united with a settlement area ("soil") and is deeply associated with a number of genocides- it's a little bit more complex you know?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no, i think i am pretty explicitly talking about the time endlessmonotony called me a blood and soil fascist for calling guto bebb a star wars name and not uh, assumed something about welsh posters and something something?

i'm being critical of you for excusing that, pal, sure, but really what i want to stress is this absolutely bonkers thing that happened.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
now i am an english nationalist lmao oh yeah i am huuuuuuge on nationalism, ask around

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lt. Danger posted:

so strictly speaking the NSDAP went defunct in 1945, thus describing you as a blood and soil fascist is technically incorrect. however I imagine from context the purpose of the post was not to accurately describe your political party affiliation

I think it would be useful to consider why someone has said this rather than simply identifying it as factually, literally inaccurate. you may have already received some clues for this

in fairness this also applies to other posters in this thread arguing that "the english" is not sufficiently exact to allow complaint

well actually because nazi germany fell it's entirely appropriate for me to accuse others of being nazis, subscribing to genocidal ideologies, etc. it's little known but their entire intellectual and political movement disappeared in a puff of smoke and it's totally, totally fine to compare something that lead to the holocaust because he compared a name to a star wars racistly.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

I'm not going to apologise for what someone else apparently said as a quid quo pro to stop you taking the piss out of my culture.

you find "guto bebb is a star wars name" more offensive than "i accuse you of wanting to purge all undesirables from our land and all inferiors from our gene pool because you said guto bebb is a star wars name" and i don't think i could find a more succinct way of describing the innate problem with nationalism if i tried very hard

e: but i'm having funnnnnnn fine

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Crayfish posted:

It does sound a bit like a star wars character though

my goodness it's incredible we allow such disgusting antisemetic nazi ideology here i thought this was a decent board FINE FINE I'LL STOP FOR REAL

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Wolfsbane posted:

You guys should definitely spend the next couple of pages talking past each other and not reading each others posts.

oh, i read everyone pal, if you didn't you might miss some extremely funny ones.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
https://starwarsintrocreator.kassellabs.io/?ref=redirect#!/BM0OkipgbeBNfcONKihf

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Crameltonian posted:

I admit that my initial response to Guto Bebb is 'lol that's a Star Wars name'. But as leftists surely the good thing to do is listen when members of a minority culture that's poo poo on and and mocked to this very day say 'hey it's kinda lovely when you mock us like that'.

it's a coincidence! languages do this sometimes! you can't control it, you can investigate it and wonder how it happened but it just did happen and all you can do is chuckle at it! it is not an attack on anyone, it has absolutely no national or cultural implications whatsoever - it has no negative connotation at all except what is being projected on to it. there is no stereotype of welsh people being jedi (???) and to stretch "well it has an alien implication" is almost as much of a stretch as comparing it directly to Lebensraum which also somehow happened good god how on earth is this real

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jakabite posted:

It's the sort of joke that you shouldn't exactly be pilloried for, but if a Welsh person says 'hey that's not very nice, we get that poo poo a lot',

again, and i can't stress this enough, this did not happen, i bring this up because a member accused me of supporting blood and soil fascism because i thought guto bebb was a star wars name. and it's still happening!

Lt. Danger posted:

I mean when TinTower made a lovely, ugly joke, she didn't apologise but she at least had the decency to leave the thread. and she was a lib dem!

I posted something like this before regarding FYAD and its jokes, might be relevant again:

the thing about jokes isn't that ironic bigotry makes you a Nazi, it's that Nazism is already "ironic" bigotry. like Sartre said, the antisemite plays at words and argument, knowingly making frivolous and spurious arguments for their own amusement. fascism has appeal not because it's a sincere expression of truth, but because it isn't - which allows it to be justification for irrational hatred. that's the whole point. it's by no means evidence of secret fascism but it's also not the rock-solid defence against fascism you might think it is

e: like, the question is: what's more important? the honour of the joke, or the comfort of your posting pals?
inherent in this is so many assumptions that need unpacking - that my intent is ironic, related to bigotry, adherent to the third reich (????). you have taken a minor linguistic coincidence and turned it into a justification for accusing others of desiring violent genocide, and you're still doing it! you don't think there's anything wrong with this - that this isn't roughly infinitely more offensive than what you are concerned about? it's wild!

i'll be honest, i think a big part of this was that i was genuinely offended at the time, i just chose to laugh it off. and look what happened when i did? i am to be expected to leave, as what i did was definitely comparable to calling a black person a coconut, or to being an ironic, or literal nazi? is this intellectual framework robust - because it seems incredibly fragile here, utterly desperate to transform everything into the incredibly limited scope of dull nationalism. i become a proxy for every wrong put on the welsh people - folks come out of the woodwork to tell me i am FOR SURE just about to deny the welsh race because they have had hundreds of conversations about how guto bubb is or is not a star wars name and they know any second now i'll pull out a blackface puppet and start goosestepping?

e:

Lt. Danger posted:

I mean the thing is I brought this up with CoolCab before and they kinda apologised but here they are again, saying it's fine and funny, like they don't actually care it ticks people off. and they were the one who brought it up in the first place, to burn another poster in a different argument!

yeah it's crazy it's almost like when you're called a blood and soil fascist that sticks with you, can't imagine why

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gambrinus posted:

Stop whining and go and be a banter lad on twitter. It seems to be about your level.

You could have apologised a couple of pages ago and this would have have cleared up by now but you've decided to stick with the Hilarious Foreign Names concept.

but gambrinus, i love pointing out how things are ridiculous. that is i think innate in any critique of nationalism - to challenge, endlessly, these nonsensical ideas. to point out that guto bebb is a star wars name directly lead to repeated accusations of neonazism is a wonderful example of the constructions that nationalism has left in some people's mind. that they can, without a spark of cognitive dissonance, say "stating guto bebb is star wars name is so culturally insensitive it is conceptually and morally similar to supporting race based genocide"

i don't banter my friend i analyse and i am critical. sometimes i need to do that using the rhetorical flourish of pointing out the absurd, like highlighting how someone called me a blood and soil fascist for saying guto bebb is a star wars name, or rely on shock value to get my point across, like gesturing to an equivalence drawn between calling guto bebb a star wars name and supporting violent nazi genocide, and sometimes i rely on repetition to really hammer in a point i think should be obvious, like how calling guto bebb a star wars character is actually, believe it or not, quite dissimilar to blood and soil fascism, and how perhaps we should critically evaluate the logic that comes to that conclusion. that's just me, though.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gambrinus posted:

It's not funny though. I've had cunts like you taking the piss out of the Welsh all my life, thinking it's all a big laugh.

It's this sort of attitude that destroys culture and drowns villages.

i can absolutely and with certainty say, you did not have cunts like me. i am Canadian, for one, so my exposure to Wales has been somewhat limited to date before i moved here, but i don't believe i have ever commented on Wales, except to be critical of Welsh nationalism - not as Welsh nationalism specifically but no more or less then i am critical of all nationalism, as it is mind poison. it ruins your brain, and hey here is a great example - someone is being critical of your ideology, and you have been taught that that is equivalent to attacking your identity - you've been taught to equate it to drowning villages for goodness sake! i do not think you are a big, small or any other kind of laugh.

would it help you if i spend some time struggle sessioning my own national identity? because i hate Canadian nationalism probably more than anything else on this earth, and by god do i hate and fear English nationalism. the only unionism i give a poo poo about is trade, and you can ask around - i don't even oppose independence movements, although i despise those that rely on nationalism to keep their masses in line.

first i am a blood and soil fascist as that is the easiest way to dismiss something - paint it as black as possible and you don't even have to look at it. then i challenge that and then okay fine well i'm a nazi, i'm jim davidson, i'm every english prick, and i keep challenging these assessments as totally untrue and silly and suddenly it's not that i'm racist it's that i'm selfish, i'm a jerk, i'm a prick - that there is no longer an argument attached to the animus but instead that you hold it because. i would say - you hold it because you have been trained that your national identity defines your personal identity, and as such when i am mean to the idea of wales, via some indirect or intangible way, i am being mean to you.

this is the kind of ridiculous thing i like to highlight. also, i don't like being called a loving nazi. but i think i'm done, for today. apologies for the mess.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't think Cab is that bad personally, I'm just vastly autoprejudiced against anything he says because of the James Corden AV.

That, and he has a Blake's 7 name.

i would never, ever change this avatar. i could never dishonour the mystery redtext person like that.

what's a blake 7 name?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Failed Imagineer posted:

That and the "more like BOLLOCK-nese" are the only good redtexts ever

Several were lost to time - god, it was ages ago now. I have never met James Cordon nor been to that service station, of course there never was an argument about spagetti bollonese, nor do a wide number of us write S Club 7 fan sites or that puppet show with the ships erotic fiction. It was like we were receiving red texts from a better version of reality - one where our squabbles were not about nationalism but instead far purer things.

Unfortunately, this is still our reality - this the thread for arguing about nationalism, even when people would prefer this thread to be a place where we post twitter replies, wail and gnash our teeth, or call each other neonazis baselessly and evoke the holocaust flippantly due to our deeply felt anti-racist credentials. Sometimes, it is a place for us to disagree - we shouldn't want anything else. In my opinion, anyway.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

You didn't tell us which part of a boat the dildo is.

Is... is it this part? :ohdear:

iirc it was part of a rowboat that was so particularly shaped

quote:

It was once used to reference a phallus-shaped pin stuck in the edging of a row boat to act as a pivot for the oar (also known as a "thole pin" or "dole pin").
but there are arguments that even then it had a sexual connotation, so when they got around to naming the town they used the name that was probably given by early explorers because of the particular shape of the island from a certain angle. people have tried to change it for a hundred years now cause fuckers keep stealing the sign.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no comment on what's for sale at the yard sale

e

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ronya posted:

on a theme of nationalism and misinformation and insurrections, a passage from Jonathan Glover's Humanity:

i will confess, i missed you ronya during my break. i hope you're keeping okay in all this nonsense.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
sister had a covid scare, my mum is finally taking it seriously - only to complain about someone taking their mask off to cough at the grocery, ugh

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Olpainless posted:

My grandma passed early this morning.

gently caress covid.

Aww geez, I'm sorry bud.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Yeah, even if you did have it in March it's very likely that your immunity would have severely degraded by this point iirc, they aren't projected to last a full year. Behave like you have it at all times is all I can say.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you could change your username to something funny i guess?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Things have more or less progressed as I expected - I genuinely think people radically underestimated the structural advantages (lots of sunlight being a good disinfectant+getting our vitamin D deficency issue down, no holidays in the summer, people spending more time outdoors rather than indoors, etc). I was predicting this spike before Christmas tho.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

XMNN posted:

is there any pledge he hasn't already turned back on?

demonstrating that you will quickly break any promises even before you get into power is presumably agreat way to get people to vote for you

i think you need to keep in mind that liberals would prefer tories to corbynite labour - they will tell you exactly that themselves. keith doesn't need to be a plant to have that motivation - if the choice is between "popular policies" and "losing the election" his evaluation is radically different to ours.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

stev posted:

They should've been nicer to the sealion tbf.

they were in fact enormously racist to it in basically any sensible read lmao

e: this is definitely the kind of thing i need explained when i make metaphors

The Author, Needing To Explain Himself posted:

which, if the metaphor is understood, is read as actually an objection to human beings who exhibit certain behaviors — is not analogous to a prejudice based on race

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 10, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dabir posted:

the original sealion comic was about gamergaters, not a general pattern of behaviour anywhere else

no i understand the intent completely, it's just - when you frame such an argument you have to be very careful because you could apply that original comic to a lot

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah i think i'd prefer it not clogging up the thread if you can move it elsewhere or offsite? that's my preference anyway

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I'm so tired of event and prestige TV, I have the same fatigue I have about marvel movies. They're good, I guess? I dunno, tiring.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

thespaceinvader posted:

Lol what kind of posh poo poo chain hotels are you going to where they give you free biscuits?

oh my bud you should become a union steward when the world is less beplagued. whenever you go to a conference they stick you in the nice lovely chain hotels - mine even had a sauna once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what happened is a tory's mate was given the contract and immediately skimmed some significant fraction right off the top for consultancy fee.

this fine citizen then turned and gave this smaller amount to their company coffers, and in doing so skimmed some of what was left.

the manager of the company (who's salary of course skims a little more) assigned some intern or otherwise exploited worker to go buy as much food as they could with whatever was left. (it wouldn't astonish me if there was a skim here too, but i'll leave it out due to solidarity with this poor bugger)

they go and buy their 30 quid worth of food with the 5 or 10 quid left, buying the cheapest and most bulk food they can. and save even more by using free packaging they can either swipe or buy at significant discount from the many businesses that are failing right now - no one's buying slurpees.

there was never any kind of oversight on packaging for suitability, nor was anyone calculating how little was being given out, expecting people to be grateful instead. these things would cost money and such would be inefficient.

e: beaten lol