Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Neighbours opposite had a lovely new years gathering with a couple of families which just ended.

The cunts also parked their cars outside my house which meant I had to park halfway down the road, which is the real crime.

It honestly destroys my mind that despite what's going on (we're in tier 4), people still just don't give a gently caress. It's honestly why the left will never win an election in this country again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Miftan posted:

That wasn't aimed at you specifically, but let's be honest here most of what the US considers to be comedy is absolute garbage. Other than some notable exceptions like Always Sunny, I don't think I've ever even moved a face muscle during a US sitcom/sketch show.

I thi k parks and rec is one of the most consistently funny shows ever made, and the first 2-3 series of arrested development are stellar.

Then you have the cartoons which all seem to be on Netflix (and South Park, although admittedly I've not watched that for like 15 years).

American comedy can be dire, true, but I think there's more than enough good stuff to show that it's not some universal law.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

lmao that their sole policy is "don't call for schools to be closed because keith will look like an idiot"

It's literally this. Absolutely pathetic.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I am just praying, in an incredibly selfish manner, that playgrounds remain open. This is not because I am a nonce, but actually because I have a 21 month old and it's literally the only activity we really have available.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Lol, looks like Johnsons wrist watch must have stopped before that live broadcast, as it certainly wasn't showing 8 O clock.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Scottish friend of mine is saying Johnson's speech was pre-recorded?

That seemed to be the word before hand, but it was emblazoned with 'LIVE' during the actual broadcast.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
NI goons : if any of you have a ps5 (disc edition), I will agree to a swap deal and send you an only partially eaten pack of cherry tomatoes.

Pm me if interested.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
A friend of my mum's (whose a bit of a prick, and entirely not medically vulnerable ) just emailed his local hospital and asked if he could have a spare dose of vaccination.

They were like 'oh hey yeah, sure, good idea', invited him down, and now he's getting all of his mates to do the same. Quite successfully.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Car insurance absolutely exacerbates existing inequalities. Poorer area = more crime = higher premiums = more fraud = more crimes = higher premiums.

I think someone else said it in this thread recently, but so long as you are legally obliged to have car insurance, the industry should be nationalised.

Also I'm annoyed cos I pitched the idea of sharing rating info with customers in my last insurance job as an 'innovation consultant' but I wasn't even allowed to put together a POC.

This is because the big boss was convinced that what customers really want is to be able to buy insurance via smart speaker (hint: they don't), and so we should pour hundreds of hours into that instead.

I'm not bitter.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

stev posted:

Insurers will never make their ratings transparent. They're terrified that doing so will cause every customer to game the system and pay next to nothing (which they would and should do, obviously).

I mean, this whole conversation was started by a poster sharing their experience with an insurer doing this very thing.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

There's not really a lot of room for you to game the system (outside of fraud). You can't exactly change where you live. That being said, when I worked in customer service we would try and lower the premiums - the big one (and I'm not sure if this is true) is to put your mileage at 4,000 per year rather than 3,000. This seems paradoxical (surely if you drive less you're less of a risk) but a year or so before someone somewhere had said "put it at 3,000 it'll be cheaper!" so loads of people did and then... had accidents. So the underwriters saw this and said, clearly, if you're driving 3,000 miles you're more a risk and put that above 4,000. Mileage is one of the few areas you can game.

Insurance fraud is a real weird one to rate, because you also have the conundrum that people lying to get cheaper premiums are less likely to claim because they don't want to get caught lying. So, perversely, if you know someone's fiddling around with their info to lower their rates, then they are actually a potentially better risk than a more honest person who otherwise fits the same profile.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I think the 'cruelty is the point' is a phrase which works when preaching to the converted, but when discussing issues with liberals, I think it's more productive to hone in on the issues of what those in power actually care about, what they prioritise.

It's fairly a fairly easy journey to rule out 'the wellbeing and happiness of the British people or 'protecting the weakest' as options, which means you can then begin to highlight the avarice, malice and corruption which are the driving force of the British Establishment.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Matt Hancock is now self isolating due to a notification from the app. I wonder if it was from hanging out at the park on the weekend.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
We hosed over his ancestors, so that may be a reason to be well disposed towards us.

Huh, OK.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
There is also the unfortunate moral element of recreational drugs, notably weed but especially coke, which is the amount of blood and or tears you will have on your hands by being a participant in the market place.

It's a lot less pleasurable putting poo poo up your nose when you consider that, somewhere in Latin America, someone's probably had their head cut off for the sake of your cash.

Or rolling up a zoot and knowing that the green inside has been farmed by a Vietnamese child in a BTL property in Croydon.

Both of these would be solved by decriminalisation/legalisation and ending the war on drugs, but we're still a long way from that here.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah, I think the problem with all uppers is that eventually the high has to end, and it doesn't end with you passing out.

There are few more jading experiences than coming down off an all night MD sesh when other people around you are still high as kites, and talking about how we're all connected etc. Because you feel like Mark on that episode of Peep Show, but you also know that an hour ago you were saying the same inane poo poo as them.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Can anyone recommend something for me to do during lockdown, from home obvs, which is constructive and/or beneficial to society? I've been getting really into poker and no risk matched betting recently, and it's got a bit unhealthy, and after a bad night tonight I've realised I'm just trying to fill a void. I think it's purely because my job, while well remunerated, is boring as gently caress and obviously I have no social life cos of lockdown.

Basically, I have loads of downtime, but nothing to do, five days per week. Any ideas?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I can combine these two suggestions and just update Wikipedia articles and answer reddit questions about Japanese wrestling. My life will have meaning once more.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are you locked in for actual medical reasons or just no work? Either way you can do NHS Volunteers work - https://nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk/ - either wellness checks and general chatting on the phone, or if you're physically capable of leaving the house (and either have some form of transport or live somewhere dense enough to do it on foot) picking up prescriptions, shopping etc and delivering it to people isolating, and/or stewarding and signposting at vaccination centres. You can pick and choose the hours you want to do it (apart from the stewarding, which is six hour shifts, but you do get a high-vis and a poncho!).

Thanks. I have signed up to everything which doesn't require an existing dbs and submitted photo ID, so hopefully something comes out of this :)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

So I complained a couple days ago about a place not getting back to me saying I would eat my words if they had a fair reason. Turns out one of them was ill and also my emails were getting filtered so fair enough. Had the second interview just now, turned out it wasn't even a technical one, more a "hey, get to know a couple of the other members of the team, make sure we'd actually like to work with you" kind of interview. Seemed to go alright and they seem like a pretty decent company to work for (if slightly disorganised but that is the most forgivable thing to me) so hopefully I will be gainfully employed soon.

Awesome news, well done!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Thanks to twisto for recommending I sign up as an NHS responder. I've just got home from delivering some oximeters to people on behalf of the local hospice. Didn't expect to get a job to do so quickly Tbh!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think I've ever had to wait more than five minutes for a job and it makes me feel guilty that I can only give an afternoon a week to it (and had to abandon it this week because my trainers are leaking).

Going to see if I can get more time next week just to assuage my guilt over buying replacement trainers of Amazon.

It's certainly not as busy as that round here, but I do live in a suburban village.

I assuage my amazon guilt by semi regularly donating to the 'Make Amazon Pay' campaign. Mainly laziness, but also because a personal boycott would achieve precisely gently caress all.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Interesting / depressing how the Guardian is covering the Game stop Reddit story exclusively with opinion pieces condemning the reddit investors and supporting the hedge funds. I wonder if this is to avoid 'undermining and the financial integrity of the UK'.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

stev posted:

Apparently he's had pneumonia for the last few weeks. The family has actually killed the man to keep their scam going and get a free holiday.

Bit much, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Jakabite posted:

You're right, they may not have purposely killed him, they could just be thick as pig poo poo greedy wankers.

I mean, am I missing something? Sure, going to Barbados is objectively a dumb thing to do, but everyone's now crowing about his ill health and saying his family are cunts, and it seems a bit overly vitriolic, even for this thread.