Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

WTF is this comic saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Watching old commercial blocks with friends in synctube and seeing the various local kid's show hosts and Friday night horror hosts makes that almanac page really hit a good spot. We need more of both of those things these days.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Isn't she also his wife or am I thinking of a different character?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Most likely he had all these chameleon jokes he had to get out but no characters were lizards so obviously, adoption. :eng101:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Tōdaiji is an 8th century Buddhist temple complex whose features include a 16m tall statue of Buddha and the so-called "Buddha's nostril", a hole in one of the surrounding pillars which promises enlightenment in the next life should one be able to crawl through it.

I've been there, it's impressive as heck. I did not try to go through the hole though because I definitely would have gotten stuck.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

The Bloop posted:

I can't imagine there's a better match

I made the joke in many threads past but I always see this.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I do wonder if a big parade would really be held for a bunch of astronauts these days. Especially ones a private corporation founded. I guess going to Mars and back would be a big thing but it's not like we have a space race going on or it was even a government sponsored thing.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I do not know why the gently caress you would want to live in a college dorm if you can afford an actual house or even a nice apartment. I know the real reason is so Holbrook can continue doing wacky dorm gags but come the gently caress on.

Also I'll counter this with a positive, the trapped explorers Far Side is really good.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 17-18, 1988)

For years I could never figure out Calvin's expression in the second panel and I think I finally realized it's because he's shifting his head back and forth erratically so it's motion blur.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Zerilan posted:

As someone who doesn't know poo poo about Funky Winkerbean canon beyond the cancer stuff, why is Dinkle apparently such a huge deal? I do vaguely remember arcs that seemed like they should have been more about other people largely be about reminiscing about Dinkle, like how every arc with Les in it ends up about Les even if Les should have little to do with it.

He was the marching band director through much of the strip's run until the time jump pretty much. He's even in a real life brand of marching shoes named for him. https://dinkles.com/

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Dodos are more evolved dinosaurs you haaaaack

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Twelve by Pies posted:

"It's a really stressful job so actually it's not doing him a favor to give it to him" is a really lovely defense for nepotism.

Yea I feel like once every two weeks I just say "ah gently caress you" outloud to one of Holbrook's comics and this was it for this week~

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I feel like in these old Kevin & Kels, Lindesfarne is written the most obnoxious but it might be cuz it just feels like a case of "Author REALLY REALLY likes one of their chars more than the rest".

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I appreciate that Snufkin is disapproving of Moomin trying to be serious but is all in on Papa's whimsically dangerous business ventures.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I like how she has a Smokey the Bear sticker on her laptop.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Schwarzwald posted:

Check out the band poster.

Haha yes good.

Also at this point I think Saul in Mary Worth is just checking out that huge order of french fries. I do not blame him one bit, those look good.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Eric really into Fester-core.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Does anyone still have laundry chutes? Before she moved in with my dad, my stepmom had one in her house. We kids loved playing vertical catch and dropped many random objects into the basement, the chute went up to the second floor as well but we were only allowed to use the ground floor one. Have they gone the way of the dumbwaiter? I absolutely know I would have gotten myself stuck in a dumbwaiter when I was a dumb kid, having an open hole with a ~15 foot drop onto poured concrete seems like the same kind of hazard. But a fun hazard!

My parents' house has a door in the bathroom you can open up with a laundry chute to the basement. It's not really a metal one though, it's almost like a long wooden fenced in box with a floor about 4 feet above the floor itself. Sometimes the cat would go into it and you'd hear her meow from down there.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

How Wonderful! posted:

PhD in English, and thank you everyone!

:toot: congrats!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
It's a weird thing when the villain of a strip is using illegal methods to do a potentially helpful thing. I guess that's Holbrook for you.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

The Bloop posted:

I am amazed that K&K didn't get enough :byodood:sacrilege:byodame: mail to get it shut down for this christmas story

It probably didn't get much since at the time it was still webcomic only yea? And the late 90s net was a much different world than our current one.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Really the unbelievable part is that a corporation run by two evil people would PAY a teenager and not just have it be an unpaid internship/for exposure.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I appreciate the panel shattering in that Bad Machinery.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

maltesh posted:

It seems like A) bouncing sound waves off electrons can't possibly work and 2) we're what, maybe seven years before LCD screens really supplant CRTs, at which point this issue will be long forgotten.

Assuming there haven't been multiple strips with Fenton reading a newspaper.

I feel like this could be easier explained with just "Fenton is a bad test taker" but gotta get them species jokes in.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

I enjoy gramma cat here a lot. Good lines.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Crab Dad posted:

WHY IS THIS ROOM SO DUSTY GODDAMN DUST IN MY EYES

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

riderchop posted:

Did a lot of soul searching today and I don't want to sign a contract over it, but I could be convinced to catch us up on, and keep us up to date with, Holbrook's output untile FrumpleOrz is back.

dear god what am i saying :negative:

If you wanna I say go for it but please be wary of your own soul :ohdear:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (September 15, 2009)

Tiny gramma smile :)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
The Calvin and Hobbes soap strips were always a favorite of mine just because it was fun seeing just how talented Waterson was at doing things.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Mikl posted:

Don't be a jerk to your trans mom, Monica :mad:

I choose to take this not as an "Ew guy in a dress joke" and more as a "Wife is mad because it's HER dress" joke. You should ask first before borrowing clothes.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I'd knock Kevin and Kell for doing the same ears growth spurt strip plotline but the guy has pregnant characters cycling every 6 months in his comics so it's not actually a surprise.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Selachian posted:

... also, I don't think recycling a plot twice in 20 years is that horrible a crime. (But then, I post Bill Holman, so what do I know?)

It's not really, it's just a weird coincidence that the comic is doing one in the modern day as we hit a similar story in the archives haha.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Seeing the Boondocks in comics form is interesting because my first experience was with the cartoon. It's interesting because I feel like a couple characters like Caesar and the one white girl who says groan worthy rap things just didn't appear in that. Or I am misremembering, which is a very high probability.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Ghostlight posted:

the face of a man who's about to get a pregnancy storyline.

You mean a man who's going to get a SECOND one ~

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Selachian posted:

For the record, here's the actual April 18, 1937, Blondie:

I'm with Dagwood, please give me cool crisp salad.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
It's very lovely in Safe Havens that it's like "We hired you to make sure no one else does what we can. Only we are the arbiters of good obviously."

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Hey yo wtf Rex Morgan coming directly at me like this. You son of a bitch! :mad:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Legendary storyline that exists in my head til this day with the true nature of bats.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
That angry Mymble rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFQkPBYlP_8