Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Charles Addams was the best and we've been paying for it ever since with all the other New Yorker cartoonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Manuel Calavera posted:

I used to post Dilbert as well. But we dropped that during a terribly racist storyline a few years ago. gently caress Scott Adams, he's a dipshit and a Trumpist, high on his own farts.

As recently demonstrated.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

catlord posted:

You know, Sherman's Lagoon isn't a very good comic. That said, I've kinda got a soft spot for it. It's charming, even if it's not good.

I think it's consistently okay. It's never great, but it's rarely bad. I get a chuckle out of it nearly every day.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
So we're establishing that Mark has hallucinations, right?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm not normally one to defend Foob, but I do think that in this case Lynn did intend the readers to recognize Gordon's situation as abuse, that his fears are justified, and that the teen mischief he got into doesn't justify his dad beating him up.

This doesn't mean the rest of this arc will be handled well going forward (we know that Lynn has a warped view of abuse and healthy family dynamics), but I don't believe we're supposed to be yukking it up over Gordon's anxiety at this point in time.

I know foob gets poo poo on a lot, and often it's justified, but during this era it was justifiably praised for its "very special episodes" which addressed real problems in a realistic way and not in the self-congratulatory Cancerbean melodrama. The "Roseanne" comparison upthread was apt. That show was a superb blend of sitcom and realistic blue collar life and the later seasons going off the rails doesn't erase the quality of the earlier ones.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kavak posted:

Someone tell us how the rest of this plotline goes so we can know how mad we need to be at Lynn.

If you're expecting her characters to be flawless judges of character who always act correctly you're gonna be mad a lot.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

WHISKEY
SOURS

Chuck Asay meets Kelly, but unironically. It's amazing and also intolerable.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Some Guy TT posted:

Batiuk has really written himself into a corner on this. With his usual determination to not do any research on anything, he probably didn't realize that people exist who don't take COVID-19 seriously and are interpreting Crankshaft's obvious overreaction as being a vindication of their beliefs. It wouldn't surprise me to learn he's been getting complaints. It also wouldn't surprise me to learn that Batiuk somehow isn't even aware that COVID-19 exists at all and that this entire storyline really is just about the flu.

edit: proofreading grrr

Could be worse...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I assume an argument about politics.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
These aren't called "soap opera strips" because of their sober adherence to realism.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

I am pretty sure that’s wheat, Axa. Not corn.

Comic was written by speakers of British English.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Potsticker posted:

as a kid I assumed spinach tasted gross because why else would a cartoon try and get you to believe it's good. Some amazing spinach dip and replacing lettuce with spinach on sandwiches later and I can't imagine anyone disliking it if they've actually eaten it in a dish before. Spinach ravioli and in lasagna is also great.

A lot of boomers and silent generation grew up with vegetables being something out of a can.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals (May 24, 1965)

His gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I did too. As a kid I was fascinated by audio recording and made tapes of myself blathering on about nothing.

Thank god social media didn't exist when I was ten.

I remember some of the tapes I made at that age and am really happy I taped poo poo off the radio on to them. Which is probably not a lot less embarrassing but...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommonShore posted:

gently caress you

the thing that bugs me the most about Dustin - above how lovely they are to each other - is the consistent dismissal and mocking of any kind of independent skill or knowledge. It's the most simpering brand of bourgeois consumer capitalism - why fix something or do it yourself when you can just buy a new one you dummy :smug:

Ending is better than mending. The more stitches, the less riches.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Haifisch posted:

I'm into this "nobody actually wants (great) grandma's fine china" arc.

I'm lucky that my mom has long since gotten rid of all the crystalware and fine china nobody has used in decades, but from what I've read most of it ends up either a)in a landfill, b)at a thrift shop(which may or may not dump it in a landfill because nobody wants this stuff) or c)used as everyday dishes until they break(and then they go into a landfill).

It's pretty awesome. I got a full set of antique fine china for daily use for less than a good dinner set at Macy's would cost at an antique store. And if they break, there's plenty more where that came from.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

riderchop posted:

so i shouldn't pick up 9CL? bc i can! and would!

dooooo iiiiiiiitttt.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slammy posted:

Dinky Fellas (June 10, 1965)

Morrie Turner is easily my favorite of all the older artists these threads introduced me to.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I don't get the "land shrimp" thing. Shrimp are crustaceans; crickets are insects.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Calvin and Hobbes was not supposed to be any more realistic than Peanuts, guys.

Haifisch posted:

"And my grandpa lived to 90 and he smoked! What's the big deal with this 'smoking causes cancer' banana oil?"

To be fair, "scientific eating" in the early to mid 20th century was a horror of processed foods because those were "scientifically created" rather than that nasty unpredictable fresh stuff.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EBB posted:

Val's dad is just so super stoked that his son loves somebody, anybody

"She's the queen of an island of brutal savages!"
"So you're saying she's royalty"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Walker posted:

I assume I'm missing something important here but I guess going barefoot is one way to find teeth. Personally, I don't think you just come across many in general though.

I have so many questions about the 1970s now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

sweeperbravo posted:

When I've seen other artists include cameos of the Lockhorns in their own style, they draw Leroy with a moustache, a scruffy and thin one, not a big robust one. That said, my mind refuses to parse Leroy in his own universe as having a moustache. I always read it as a grumpy lip and even knowing the likely truth cannot undo decades of self-reinforced belief.

:same:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I don't want this responsibility, but all this talk about hate comics just makes me need to spread my misery back around.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vargo posted:

Ah crap, I actually kinda like that lawnmower strip.

If you don't let the grass get crazy and you have one of those small suburban yards like in the strip, push-reel mowers are pretty nice. Low maintenance, no noise, no pollution, and they work just fine. I used one for years until I got a secondhand electric from someone who was upgrading.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Watterson always gave Calvin weird age-inappropriate assignments. It's just part of the strip.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

goatface posted:

Deathless Deer is reminding me of Fletcher Hanks.

Yes! I couldn't remember his name!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

dismas posted:

hell yeah beric

Beric isn't in the modern strip so I always get worried about when he'll get killed off. :ohdear:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Aztec posted:

How could I forget about "THE BUM BOAT? One of the greatest fictional restaurants.

Dr. Jeff is eating at the Bum Boat tonight! :dance:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Haifisch posted:

Bonus: What the gently caress :chloe:

The good news is, after military sexual harassment scandals in the 90s, Mort Walker decided to send General Halftrack to sensitivity training and write out the gross jokes like this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (May 10-13, 1989)

That third panel has always been a favorite.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SubNat posted:

20 feet, surely. 20 meters is like 5+ stories.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I think it's that the kids are all blocking their mother from the camera shot, so mother is not going to be in the mother's day picture.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Selachian posted:

The thing is, when Zits first started running, I remember quite a few pissy letters to the editor about what a nasty, unpleasant kid Jeremy was. When your point of comparison for comic strip teens is Archie, or Blondie and Dagwood's kids, or even, God save us, Michael Patterson, Jeremy's sighing and eye-rolling at his parents looks like a shocking act of rebellion.

Zits started when I was 16 and my mom though it was perfect.

nishi koichi posted:

but pumpkin pie doesn't have a top crust

Custard pies are a category of pie which do not have a top crust.

...now how about Gedeckter Apfelkuchen?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

dismas posted:

Did you ever know anyone who majored in psychology because if not I have some stereotypes to share

I know one guy who is an awesome social worker so...?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Presto posted:

Suddenly I'm imagining Bernice on her wedding night.

"Whoa, hold on ,I have to look this up."

Bernice Ruskin.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

dismas posted:

Why do I keep defending Foob?

Because for most of its run it was a good and in some ways groundbreaking strip which unfortunately took a bad turn in its last years.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CzarChasm posted:

From a few pages back
This must be one of those Mandela effect things, because I could swear that the guy in the trench coat was pretty clearly a bull, with horns peeking out around the hat.

Could be getting the imagery confused with the bulls in the china shop.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kazinsal posted:

Lynn "I am incapable of being vaguely aware of the world around me and what my children are actually doing and it's all their fault" Johnston

Poil posted:

How did she manage to not hear a bowl of dry dog food being emptied upside down? :psyduck:

I don't think the strip is meant to imply that she was unaware of all of that, but that she chose to let the kid make a mess that she'd deal with later rather than keep interrupting the cooking and ruin the meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

amigolupus posted:

This is extremely cursed.
If the last line had just been something simple like "Awww poo poo" then this would've been fine. But saying "there's no accomplishment without sacrifice" just comes across as the mom acting like a martyr again.
What's funny is that back when this was first drawn, people probably didn't bat an eye about babies getting into drawers and such. But due to the sliding timeline making this take place around 2021, the mom looks irresponsible for not bothering to childproof the cupboards.

Living in a childproofed house is pain in the dick. I only have the cabinet with the chemicals safetied, my kids can get into the dishcloths and pots and pans all they want. It beats having to deal with the safety lock every drat time.