Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
It just now fully hit me that Kevin is fully alright with his wife going out and murdering and eating other people* like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

why does foob so often read like "cruel little stories"?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

.................I need a red and rover on this one

In 2004 the Dave Matthews Band tour bus illegally dumped human waste into the Chicago river and onto a tour boat

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I really don't like the breasts on female mice in Overboard

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

CommonShore posted:

So no farther mention of the ridiculous number of crimes that Mark did?

That was a police helicopter he blew up right? Mark Trail is a cop killer now?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (January 27, 1918)

:prepop:

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

Cartoons that won't age well

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
There are about 4 unique panels between those 3 Garfields including a Sunday. Also, it really was another cat burglar Heathcliff.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

jeremy you could have easily explained the concept of a digital audio workstation in the time it took to do all this complaining

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Technowolf posted:

Yeah, this is very A Very Special Episode.

It feels like that but at the same time it feels like The Lighter Side of physical abuse. Having to still have a punchline about it every strip makes it feel very bizarre.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I think this series of Monty's is going to need spoiler bars when it gets posted as Monty Classic 10 years in the future

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Kids love swapping the mouthpieces on their instruments, as a prank

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Gatto Grigio posted:

God, it sucks that these sub-Cinema Sins takes are what passes for humor on this site now.

Nitpicking inconsistencies =/= funny, goons, especially in a medium like comics where plots move at a snail’s pace but you’re looking for some instant plot gratification.

I’d even take Lowtax and FYAD edgelord jokes over this :actually: nonsense any day.

When I see jokes I don't think are funny I simply move on instead of talking about how I miss having a serially-abusive bigot around

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Twelve by Pies posted:

"Sigh, remember those wonderful days when women were completely dependent on men?" God I hate this comic.

I feel like Those Were The Days is not actually one-sidedly about how things used to be better, unless it actually believes that so hard that it is indistinguishable from satire. I mean the guy in the first panel doesn't seem too happy about having to drive his daughter around.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 11-12, 1989)

Even as a kid I remember thinking this was pretty uncalled for

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (March 27-31, 2000)

So uh... Holbrook ever have any marriage problems?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Mikl posted:

Y'all should do well to keep in mind that this strip, especially past this point, is basically furry soap opera: you can expect all kinds of drama, especially when it relates to family, marriage, children, and so on.

That much I get but this strip just came across as especially vindictive. Maybe that's common for soap operas though

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

EasyEW posted:

Harry Dinkleshaft

As someone who had a couple band directors that I really loved growing up: I loving hate this guy.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Ever since I saw Everett approve of literal KKK violence against IWW members I can't look at him the same way anymore

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I generally don't think "Those Were The Days" is being as malicious as people think and it's just simple "Boy things are different than how they used to be!" observation humor. Maybe I'm being too generous to it but it doesn't really stand out as being mean-spirited to me. That being said I'm surprised everyone ignored the one about how UFOs are real from a couple days ago.

Also, Crankshaft ignoring Covid for over a year, and now making jokes about it as if people aren't still dying from it, is amazing. I know it's not gaslighting but is this gaslighting?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I can't wait for a solid year of Funky Winkerbean assuming the pandemic would have been over by now.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I feel like I agree with that post more than I should

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

There's tough competition, but somehow The Family Circus manages to be the most cynical and joyless comic in this thread sometimes. Why is the dad so miserable?!

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
My favorite thing about Foob is how often it would be indistinguishable from Cruel Little Stories if it was a few panels longer.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
The difference with Nancy is that the sentiments are sincere, because all these 8 year olds are completely ground down and joyless from the neuroses of living in the social media age.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Rex Morgan is reaching new depths of banality I thought impossible.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
No you see, his real name is Jake Rowling, but he needs to use a pen name to avoid brand confusion. Please reference the last 5 days of strips for further clarifications

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Every time I see an Overboard I want to post about it but don't know what to say. Imagine what someone would think if it was their first time seeing it, every day? It's low on the list of strips I dislike, but something about it just makes me mildly irritated every time I see it. It's inexplicable.

Also lol Computoon

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
want to applaud jules rivera for the restraint to not include a "30-50 feral hogs" joke

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah, I'm reading this as "How lucky am I to be here at the birth of Roller Derby; classier than Foxy Boxing, and with more legitimate competition than Mud Wrestling"

Those Were the Days is one of the best strips in the thread. Every installment is a weird view into two worlds I can barely comprehend.

Every time people reply to Those Were the Days on here I feel like people are reading too far into really basic observational humor cause they feel like it must be the same kind of caustic boomer humor we see today even though it doesn't feel that way to me at all. The Art Beeman defender has logged on

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I had no idea Overboard was such a longrunning strip. Really odd to see it described as "nihilistic and black [humor]" in that interview when now it can come off as so saccharine and trite. Vintage Overboard should be interesting to see.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Gotta say the 'new' MiniSec is looking completely reasonable to me so far

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

pitchers are the ones using pine tar, heathcliff writer

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I assumed Heathcliff was trying to make a topical reference with the crackdown on pitchers using pine tar in the MLB right now but maybe I was thinking too hard about heathcliff

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Doomykins posted:

"I wanted to work without being bothered, so I faked my death instead of just ignoring people."

I was tired of being bothered so I did a lot of unnecessary work at expense to set up several awkward conversations and ruined relationships later. I think somebody reminded Batiuk this dude was dead and he's genuinely embarrassed and backpedaling.

That would imply that Batiuk's comics can react to new information within less than a year. If he could feel shame about that kind of thing the multiple weeks of "post-pandemic" Funkys and Crankshafts wouldn't have run. He's just really this bad of a writer

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Heartbreaking: The worst cartoonist you know just made a great point

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the not-stan lee in this story line is also just a stand in for batiuk right? like his name is "batton thomas"? or was that another old man with a neverending smirk

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
The joke is that it's easy to lose things behind the couch

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Haifisch posted:

90s Overboard

Well I guess this answers that one person's questions about whether the short pirates are supposed to be children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I hope the next several weeks of Rex Morgan is this girl explaining the plots and premises of various anime she likes