Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

This isn't STRICTLY SPEAKING a comic strip, but does involve them: local webcomics whipping-boy Questionable Content has been doing 100 stupid comics (his words, not mine) over the last week or so and one of today's new-year-fresh batch involves a familiar subject!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

For Better or For Worse, or FOOB as it is more commonly known here from some line in the last few years of the strip. Lynn Johnston, 1979-2008 was the original run. New "reruns" (Lynn rewriting and doing some redrawing) began mid 2010. This thread started out as a critique of Foob if memory serves, in the twilight years of the original run. Lynn is an, interesting woman. And not well regarded for a number of reasons.

I will say this much about FOOB: few other strips have offered such ...overly-well-communicated imagery for smelly disgusting objects. The combination of wavering stank fumes, flying dirt particles, and spraying ambiguous droplets always has and always will make me feel just a little sick looking at them.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Slammy posted:

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (March 25, 1950)

“Never mind wrappin’ it up … He’s gonna dump it on me RIGHT HERE!”
I can see this sentence finding a new home somewhere else.

The_Other posted:

I actually went through my copy of The Modesty Blaise Companion and counted Modesty's boyfriends (or bedfellows as the guide often refers to them) and Willie's girlfriends. My results:

# of Modesty's boyfriends: 10
    # of Modesty's boyfriends that appear more than once: 3
    # of Modesty's boyfriends that get killed: 3
    # of Willie's girlfriends: 22
    # of Willie's girlfriends that appear more than once: 4
    # of Willie's girlfriends that appear once only to be stood up because he has to go help Modesty: 3
    # of Willie's girlfriends that appear once only to be stood up because he has to go help an elephant: 1
Did you count the elephant as one of the girlfriends?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

drat I love the Addams. But the comic always has Mortician looking miserable in a FOOB way. And I always forget how Gomez looked, for in my mind he is always Raul Julia.
And conversely, Wednesday is always so pleased and happy-looking. I remember being sort of puzzled by that when I saw my first samples of non-TV Addams.

amigolupus posted:

I think Jules might have even used a clipart of Mark Trail just for that authentic Jamsallen tracing. And a Dr. Vargo cameo would absolutely rule.
They DID never find his body.
Good lord I wish they'd lost clip!Mark's body along with it. That thing looks even more creepy when it's outside its natural home of the uncanny valley.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Okay, I was having some doubts but now you have my full attention once more.
I'm a particular fan of bugs's alarm clock changing over by one minute. A comically large amount of time passing between each panel would be an easy laugh, but making it one very small change somehow makes it sink home harder that this is something that's been eating at him that has now shifted.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Drawn and Quartered - 1942

Wonder if her name is Daisy.
Just a little bit late of me, but I'm not sure exactly what you were referencing here, unless it was this?

EDIT: wait unless you were commenting on the sheep. I'm not sure why I assumed you were talking about the shark :doh:

LingcodKilla posted:

Hate to break it to you but you do know what "wanting more" is right?
That's what they meant I believe: the strip is about deliberately engaging in NOT fuckin, so as to incite desire for fuckin later.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

Ah, cute aggression. A concept that my sister embraced wholeheartedly and practices on her cats, mostly through giving them very loving cat noogies and belly rustles. They adore it, thankfully.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Apologies to anyone who wanted Cathy this year, I'm still back on page 3 of this thread and catching up and welp! Life has been getting away from me in some big ways. I hope everyone in the future of this thread a good time and excellent comics.
No rush, no worry, no AACK.

edit:
Annihilate him, Curtis. Without mercy or regret.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 11/15-17/45

Okay I've got to admit I don't look at this strip very closely but somehow MISS STANKIE jumped out at me and then I realized it's all over the place.

riderchop posted:

Overboard, neither of these sharks have the usual eyelashes to signify that they're a girl, so i am pleased to announce the Overboard guy drew gay sharks
Presumably these aren't tiger sharks, which are the all-time champions of lists you may have seen of 'things found in a shark's stomach' like license plates, half a horse, barrels of gunpowder, suits of armour, etc.
Sharks in general are no slouches at eating crazy garbage. It turns out being able to evert your stomach through your mouth helps with a LOT of digestive issues.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

SubNat posted:

Yeah, it's very good.

Moomin - Club life in Moominvalley

'I'm not sure the cow understood what I meant.' is one hell of a pre-prepped avatar for someone.

edit: also a very very late review while I have this on my mind: new Mark Trail is messy, but it's the energetic kind of messy that I enjoy, rather than whatever the hell it was via the creepy ol' coot and his combination of clip-art, tracing, and hashish-addled scribbling. The pacing is surprisingly quick for a serial newspaper strip too. I can get why some people got stuck on the fireworks in the helicopter, but I put that in the same action scene ballpark as 'punching someone unconscious is perfectly harmless' but for vehicles.
(also the Sunday animals are amazing)

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 20, 2021

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (April 16, 1918)

They can pay us to endure the public's abuse, Everett, but some of us refuse to pretend to be happy about it :colbert:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Zorro's day-by-day pacing may be iffy but the rhythm of an individual strip like this sure as hell works. Whimsical murder energy on that lady's right up there with Eric the Saxon's goth gf.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I have no idea what is going on in that strip at all

I think it's the top three panels from here.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The Bloop posted:

that was no help at all and goddamn you for making me read an achewood comic
I don't know what to tell you, it just looks like One Big Happy guy took time out from complaining about drat kids with piercings and tattoos and said

'i wanna do an achewood today.'

Hwurmp posted:

uncommonly good art for Overboard
The rats aren't even flying tiny planes and shooting giant covids. Agreed.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

SubNat posted:

Give me the gayest sharks ya got.
:same:

Getting a bit meta there, Jon.

Tiggum posted:

Yep. Nothing to see here.
Newspaper comic strips are pretty primely formatted for avatar hunting if you consider it for a second, and it's something of an indictment of the modern crop that so few of them per year are natural targets for it.
I can really really believe that Crankshaft has been hitting this kid with a bus every week for the past decade. Probably with a dead-eyed smug-take pun at the camera afterwards.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Look out, Rex Morgan child, there's a new limp body lying on the pavement on the funny pages!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Gotta admit my first reaction was a snort of laughter
I have done the mandatory.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Is this a cigar or a sneer I'm sure it MUST be a cigar but I can't stop seeing both of them.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

between this and gay and her gang we had a serious sitting problem epidemic going on in the 20s
This is actually historically accurate: up until the 1950s or so most Americans were plagued with frail and rickety skeletons thanks to growing up taking opium and wood alcohol for head colds, and unsightly 'bone spasms' or 'skeleton pops' were common occurrences without careful and consistent lounging. Still, even Out Our Way and Gay and Her Gang's depictions of these troubles pale in comparison to the brutal realism on display in Toonerville Folks, where it can be seen that almost every single person in town older than an infant has their knees permanently locked like they're about to squat on an invisible chair.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

amigolupus posted:

oh no, yet another boyfriend of axa is an awful monster. :geno:

What really sucks is that Axa almost had some agency in wanting to fight the giant lobsters to eat them, but it swerves into this piracy storyline where she's a sexy lamp commenting on everything happening.

davidspackage posted:

drat it, Axa, when will you learn: trust only your robot, buff hunks will never help you.
When you put it this way this entire comic comes off as some kind of Sisyphus thing. Axa escapes her life of safety to seek adventure and hot dudes and yet all her adventures leave her naught but a sexy lamp and no matter how vigorously and frequently she tears off her clothing all her hot dudes turn on her.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Otherwise...when I was a kid, and lived in a military base in New Mexico, we were known for being the turtle family, to the point my dad got a call from some freight company to pick up a stowaway. See, they were shipping in air conditioning units from Florida to NM, and at some point a Florida gopher tortoise crawled into one of the shipping freight boxes. And was delivered to NM, where the boxes sat for a good few months. By the time they cracked the case open, Frisky was super dehydrated and barely alive, but my dad picked her up, brought her home, and we got her back to sassy health quickly. I mostly remember her chasing me around the backyard because I always gave her extra treats.
:3:

Powered Descent posted:

One of the later Sherlock Holmes stories (published 1923) features this phenomenon: it turns out the villain has been taking a particularly powerful gland extract from monkeys in order to restore his youth and vitality, but every time he takes a dose he starts acting very monkey-like, to the point of climbing effortlessly up vines (which is how he got to an upper-story window, thus resolving a piece of the mystery).

As you might guess, this is NOT one of Arthur Conan Doyle's better stories.
Arthur must've still had some ape-men juice left in him after writing The Lost World.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The cartoonist's name is a well-considered touch.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

nishi koichi posted:

rae the doe sheds a single, proud tear at that pun <3

Honestly, I hope someone sends it to her.
:haw:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I've only just now realized the unusual number of times Larson has committed himself to drawing signs in reverse view, often from the inside of a diner, almost always in flowing semi-cursive-ish script.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Tasteful, Subtle, Thought-Provoking And Mature Comics With Serious Themes For Adults

Samovar posted:

Is the guy at the start supposed to be Moomin-Carl Linnaeus?
Although he was interested in classifying the plant via its privates, he didn't burst into poetic rhapsody about flowers screwing*, so it remains ambiguous.

*The flowers' leaves. . . serve as bridal beds which the Creator has so gloriously arranged, adorned with such noble bed curtains, and perfumed with so many soft scents that the bridegroom with his bride might there celebrate their nuptials with so much the greater solemnity. . .

EasyEW posted:

Elsewhere in the paper: Listen, buddy, do you want advertising in good taste, or advertising that tastes good? Okay then, here's what we're running...

That's right, we're venturing into the No Man's Land of retail profit margins, unleashing the poison gas of fair trade on the competition, leaving Price Gouging clutching at the picture of its mother as it gasps for one last lungful of air next to the remains of its mangled comrade Shoddy Goods, who ate a grenade during our first offensive push.

MICHEL'S: J.C. PENNEY'S GETS WHAT'S COMING TO IT AT DAWN.
:stare:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Powered Descent posted:

So many typos and misspellings in this adventure. It started on the very first page of it, when a narration box referred to the bad guys as the "dark angles". Did they contract out the lettering to the lowest bidder they could find?
Yeah, it jumps out at you.
Sir Gerald Tarrant's Title Is No Longer Appropriate

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

At immediate capture range sharks will use their lateral line and/or ampullae of Lorenzini to detect the movements of their prey, while either rolling their eyes back in their sockets or covering them with a nictitating membrane to prevent damage :colbert:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

omg omg urgent emergency alert. who has the mark trail rapping gif
Here ya go.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

That panel four side profile on Archie there is a bit of a holy poo poo look at it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Unironically looking forward to Mark Trail's Sunday iguana facts, possibly delivered after being thrashed senseless by an irate iguana's tail.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Howard Beale posted:

I don't mind the poor image quality because I'm really enjoying Private Bootsie Goes to War.
On the one hand yes, on the other hand if Bootsie gets shot I'm going to lose 35% of my comic-related enjoyment in this thread.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kavak posted:

This is a wartime strip, they ain't killing him.
You reassure me, but now I'm imagining Bootsie's wake and funeral extended over multiple strips and it's almost worth it. The pallbearers all get broken arms fighting each other over who he owed more money so the coffin has to be dragged to the cemetary; three separate ladies show up who all seem equally convinced they've been Mrs. Bootsie for fifteen years; a general arrives to court martial the deceased for profligate misuse of military supplies; and the priest delivers an unsolicited rant on how that bum always stiffed him at the collection plate.

Then just as they throw the first handful of earth in, Bootsie wakes up with a TERRIBLE hangover.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Man, remember Netscape Navigator?
No, but I remember watching my older brother showing my dad internet explorer and wondering when he was going to stop goofing around with whatever demo this 'explorer' thing was and show us the actual internet.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn ends this whole thing nice and sweet

Oh poo poo she's got owl ears! Now she can use them to figure out the precise location of sounds at night, enabling her to more efficiently prey on small rodents!
who the hell calls that poo poo 'imperfections'?

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 07, 1945)

"ugh stop being so wonderful i'm trying to hate you. this is a hate-kidnapping, not a love-kidnapping."

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

As we all know, ladies always land on their feet.

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Comet

Now won't you be dears and help granny do a murder-by-sofa?
Getting echoes of a more upbeat (and largely offscreen) version of 'The Fillyjonk Who Believed in Disasters' here.

edit: good LORD Santanen.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Our cat named himself and we're afraid to ask him how to pronounce it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (July 28, 1945)

Some Guy TT posted:

That scamp Bootsie. Replacing the colonel's coffee with dog semen.
The Arbuckles were once a proud military family, before the farm.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Saw this, was compelled to find out if it works in reverse.

Hmm, nope, not quite as good. Though in retrospect, who wouldn't have predicted that Hulk dialogue is more interesting than anything from Mary Worth.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kind of want to see postwar Everett True coming home from work to find seventeen different victims of shell shock waiting on his porch with tire irons, purposeful intent, and big warm welcoming smiles.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Teaser line makes me think Aleta is gonna bust out some charming spell or flashy fireball next episode and be like "I do happen to be a sorceress but that's really not the point"

I skimmed over that line before this and wow that is some a-grade always sunny poo poo right there.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Oh, that Bootsie!
Holy poo poo Bootsie really is Marmaduke but actually funny.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hello my 15 year old son, here is the comic strip I'm publishing today, in which I insinuate that your girlfriend is constantly checking out guys even while you're in fact talking.
For added awkwardness: your daily reminder that her son is gay. Though who knows if she knew by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

just slut-shame Bernice if it'll make her happy
If shame is her thing, sure, but then frankly she shouldn't be involving the mom in this without her consent.