Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There is so performance-enancing spinach in Thimble Theatre! Remember how they got out of prison and then that other prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That Ed carries $50 bills is the most concise personality test for him.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (May 4, 2009)

I thought this was a passable covid joke until I looked at the date, but this joke was tired already in 2009.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:staredog:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 28, 1943)

Holy poo poo, especially Beric in the 5th panel. Is he clapping or dusting off his hands? Either is :psyduck:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Val casually cleaning his nails as he hangs someone "without delay and with no squeamishness whatsoever." :kimchi:

What gets me about this incident is the hermit was surprised by Val's armour but Val was openly wearing it when he met the guy

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

skeleton warrior posted:

This definitely makes me appreciate Out Our Way more, with its apparently rare emphasis on how thirty years of progress is actually progress.

The third one is progress

e. so is the marriage one

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm finding it extremely validating that the internet as a whole has started to see the beauty and appeal in the surrealist nonsense that I've been loving in Heathcliff these recent years. Nothing will top that one where Heathcliff cruises around town in a car that looks like him which then transforms into a robot which looks like him though.

I'm also concerned that both Zits and Arlo and Janis are doxing me this week.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok Mark Trail is clearly a dream sequence or something

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So no farther mention of the ridiculous number of crimes that Mark did?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rofl who is the speaker here?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kennel posted:

Interestingly they added a word to make it clearer that mom was correcting him.

I choose to believe that he's correcting her.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was roughly the same ages as those kids growing up and I had friends whose dads definitely would have kicked their asses for less than that

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aekfPU0SwNw&t=5s

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mercury Hat posted:

I think strips like this are why I really liked Garfield as a kid. The art and layout are pretty interesting, especially compared to modern Garfield. That first panel where he's peering around the corner into the room really sells the scenario.

Yeah it's a good comic when it's not an algorithmically generated cycle of faces scowling and smirking in a featureless void

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cathy - Feb 25+26, 1977

People - her friends and family - really just dump on Cathy all of the time don't they. Is there a single comic where Andrea is being nice to her and not just harping on her for something?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I'm not sure this is necessary, but MW just took a really dark turn, so I'm spoilering it for violence and animal abuse.

This is way beyond "He used to trip me sometimes."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wonder if the New Mark Trail fireworks yacht police helicopter explosion is maybe making fun of the abrupt ending to the Dr. Vargo saga.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 07, 1943)

what the gently caress is going on goth girlfriend indeed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (September 20, 1951)

So in the good ol days people disrespected old stuff but now in the bad new days idiots have respect for old stuff?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's a good Nancy

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm all in on Mark Trail right now. This is so strange that I have to see where it goes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Selachian posted:

I'm not really sure whether this is supposed to be a blackface joke or just "lol they've got paint all over them," but let's play it safe.

The dialogue in the last panel 100% indicates that it's a blackface joke

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

gently caress you

the thing that bugs me the most about Dustin - above how lovely they are to each other - is the consistent dismissal and mocking of any kind of independent skill or knowledge. It's the most simpering brand of bourgeois consumer capitalism - why fix something or do it yourself when you can just buy a new one you dummy :smug:

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 1, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

This is really an abrupt ending. What happened with Mark's mother? She was mentioned in a way that implied she had left Happy, but that's where they left it. Cherry's family problems remain unresolved as well. Then there's the boat thing, but I'm less concerned about that than a lot of people here. I can accept that being just a moment of cartoonish disaster and either is just something to be laughed at and dismissed or exaggerated and meant to be not as bad as it looked.

I've been laughing at the absurdity of it, but a bit perplexed overall as a cartoonish kersplosion is something more in line with the tone of Pooch Cafe than with Mark Trail.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EasyEW posted:

Tom Batiuk Les Moore Makes A Half-Assed Attempt To Connect With The Times That He's Ignored For The Past Twelve Months

andthentheyfucked.png

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone have a link to where the last few Retail strips were posted? I can't remember how long ago it ended or who was posting them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Powered Descent posted:

It ended just over a year ago. Here's Selachian's post history from last year's thread, just ctrl-F though it for the word Retail:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908728&userid=190603&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The "is the store going under?" arc begins on page one of that link, and the whole thing wraps up on page two.

Thanks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

All of you are going to feel pretty stupid when in the next comic she stands up and is like "Oh I'm not hurt that's a BRZ it would take like 4 seconds for it to accellerate enough to hurt a person." :smugdog:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thimble Theatre is so good

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nishi koichi posted:

holy crap that heathcliff is real

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hwurmp posted:

ngl I actually like this idea

I did it with scrabble fridge magnets

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i guess day one was learning bikbok videos with rusty

Nah we missed Monday

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

These Ea Nasir memes are getting abstract but I'm on board

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Slammy posted:

Mopsy Sunday (March 21, 1948)

:dudsmile:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mary Worth would be improved if all the comic was from here on out was two old people talking about how much they like dogs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oof, that cuts deep. Growing up the only kids my age that lived anywhere near us were girls, and we were good friends until all the adults started that same poo poo and made it weird. We were still so young there wasn't anything even remotely romantic in our friendships, and we didn't understand the jokes, but we understood that adults were making fun of us so the friendships just kinda died.

Great job, adults.

Same. And it made me really self-conscious.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh also Leroy has a John Waters moustache.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My current faves are Wallace, a+j, crabgrass, nekonaughy, and boss dharma. I enjoy the weird Scandinavian ones that sometimes come up in bunches too.

My absolute favourites in the thread are Classic Val, Thimble Theatre, and The Far Side, though I never skip Retail or Surgeon's Tales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh yeah I forgot Heathcliff. I share more Heathcliff comics than anything else.