Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Happy new year! Looking forward to posting in this thread with you all!

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Oh, LazyQ, you should probably repost that image of the cast of characters so people new to Mämmilä can tell the characters apart.

That said, Mämmilä does a great job depicting flawed people and makes me have mixed feelings about them. Heimo here is definitely reaping what he sowed when he tricked his wife into pregnancy, but you do feel sorry for him suffering from depression and then isolating himself instead of trying out therapy. And now people are coming in and treating him like some kind of tourist attraction, which certainly doesn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This is a complete nightmare of a strip. :stonk:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Modesty Blaise is really unique in how Modesty has multiple casual boyfriends across the globe and it's never portrayed as a bad thing. Her boyfriends understand that Modesty can choose to spend months with one of them and none of them get jealous about it or think bad of the others.

Wait, "virtual" high five, as in these two were having a video conference online? I thought she was visiting her husband in prison, there's even an intercom right there.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rich Tweedy status: Still the loving worst

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm guessing all this focus on these two having a domestic life is Holbrook is setting up these two to finally get married. Who knows, maybe Rudy will finally stop looking like a 12-year old by then.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I get if Kevin would be the one making this observation, but I find Rudy and Lindesfarne being the ones to say just a little creepy, especially with all the focus on Kell taking off her bathrobe in the previous panels. It's like, if my mom was taking hours in the bathroom I'd just think she was just enjoying a really long soak in a bathtub, not that she's admiring her figure in the nude in front of the mirror.

Green Intern posted:

Why are all the Temps nude. WHY ARE ALL THE TEMPS NUDE?

Look, you got to teach them early on that they can never hide anything from their bosses. You've seen how Ms. Trellis treats everyone in Fastrack. Everyone's already accepted her constant invasions into their privacy, with Dethany even thanking her for it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This look into the future of Rae the Doe is really wholesome. :3: I'm glad everyone is doing all right.

So we all agree this is just Edda getting high from huffing her own farts, right?

Discendo Vox posted:

bahahahahaa god that could not be more perfect- it has the single hair out of place, the shirt color, every loving thing

At this rate you may actually get a cameo Vargo

I think Jules might have even used a clipart of Mark Trail just for that authentic Jamsallen tracing. And a Dr. Vargo cameo would absolutely rule.

Cowslips Warren posted:

drat I love the Addams. But the comic always has Mortician looking miserable in a FOOB way. And I always forget how Gomez looked, for in my mind he is always Raul Julia.

Raul Julia as Gomez was such a perfect casting.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Knowing that Ralph lost his ability to hunt because he fell in love with a prey species, it makes Kell and her mom huge jerks for making GBS threads on him like this. It also makes Ralph a better person than Kell because he developed some empathy that made him fully give up on killing prey species, whereas Kell has never once considered if what she's doing is wrong.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also, Little Neuro is Petey's favorite comic in Cul De Sac.

That Little Neuro strip feels like it's a bit too fast-paced for Petey's tastes.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The_Other posted:

Circus Windows in which Mildred makes a prediction.

(again if the thread thinks it's not appropriate for me to post a webcomic here, just tell me and I'll stop.)

Oh wow, Pepper the dog is still alive? I don't remember him ever appearing in the later Bad Machinery stories so I assumed he went to that great big dog park in the sky. Glad to know I was wrong. :unsmith:

JethroMcB posted:

Luann has just been unrelentingly exxxtra horny lately, huh? It's so weird because I know it's Luann and so absolutely nothing will come of any of it.

It's like Team Evans poked their head out of their bunker, did a single Google search on what the youths are like nowadays, and the search result told them college students are incredibly horny and also have massive anxiety. It's the only explanation I can think of for the sudden swerve of Bernice being super-horny for Jack and that bout of insecurity about measuring up to her brother and his kids.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The Bloop posted:

There is ten times as much crazy poo poo going on, we just get to see the moomin-centered action

I like to think that the only reason the cops don't go to the Moomins first every time is because Stinky and Sniff have committed crazier crimes so they tend to be the prime suspects whenever poo poo goes down.

gently caress off with this bullshit, Holbrook. I still can't get over how they treat the abusive boss as a saint for "allowing" her live-in slaves to go back to their own homes. This is a very recent development, too, since letting Dethany and Guy (but not Wendy!) go home is the boss's idea of a wedding gift to Dethany.

Evil Mastermind posted:

"No, we realized that she had no legal ability to make us work at her house and we threatened to sue."

That would require Dethany to actually think her toxic workplace and abusive boss are terrible, and we all know what a massive bootlicker she is. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

What gets me about that is that she already has the slides. If she did what he said she'd have to rebuild the entire presentation from scratch with technology she doesn't know how to use. That's a really dumb suggestion compared to just looking up whether modern slide projectors even exist and what do you know, they do exist, and they don't even cost that much.

Yes, but that would require Batiuk putting in effort to research the things he's writing about.

davidspackage posted:

It's bizarre to think that there's a comic themed around its cartoonishly goth protagonist, but it's actually like a propaganda piece about how bosses are our lord and master

It would be one thing if everyone hated the boss's guts and act like working under her is a lovely situation, but everyone just puts up with it. Holbrook says that Dethany's working under Ms. Trellis to learn what bosses aren't supposed to do, but she never acts like it. It's weird because Dethany shows some spine when it's her mother trying to control her life, but she happily accepts whatever abuse her boss hurls at her.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This is like, what, the third or fourth time the protagonists have outright cheated to win in these school championships?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SubNat posted:

It's just a constant running theme in so many of his strips that characters just... decide and do things for other characters without their say or consent.
And no matter the outcome, or how bad a thing they acually do, it's always glossed over for the next thing. Because the characters are the good guys in the strip.

Something I notice in this running theme is that it's always friends or family members doing this to each other, and they do it with the express knowledge that they'll benefit greatly from it (See: that time DNA Wizard said her friendship with the mermaid was so she could study her) Classic K&K being posted really highlights how that element has always been there. Holbrook writes his comics with a protagonist-centric morality, so you can literally get away with anything as long as you're considered a good guy.

Good Listener posted:

Isn't she also his wife or am I thinking of a different character?

You're right, this is that same character.

Here's a strip from the previous thread that states she's the kid's mom, which yeah, makes her this guy's wife. Also note that she's already trying to monetize her own daughter, who also has no clue what she's getting signed up for.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Don't forget also pointing out that he's not good enough to be a lead on the show she just signed him up for without his knowledge or permission.

Not only that, she's aware her own husband wouldn't be a good host for a show so she also signed up her own daughter to be his co-host without asking if she's fine with it. There's layers of :wtc: with this strip.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Green Intern posted:

I think her orders were just "go find a suitable civilized people across the sea" and she decided this was the place.

Come to think of it, why is Axa even taking orders from the Dome Director anyway? He did that whole "I will grant you freedom if you do this for me" spiel, but Axa's been all about fighting for her own freedom so she really shouldn't have accepted that.

Yes, I know the answer is because Axa is basically Apartment 3G-levels of feminism, but still.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The set-up for this Modesty Blaise feels a bit haphazard to me. It's been mentioned that Joanna was used as a sex slave in the Blackwings's cult, since her friend's dad blames her for surviving. That should have been plenty enough reason for Modesty to go after the cult leader, so it feels pretty off for her to hesitate and have Giles talk her into taking action.

The fact that everyone treats Shannon as a terrible burden who keeps pestering them makes this less of a joke, and more that Shannon is so used to everyone blaming her for every little thing going wrong.

I'm pretty sure we've only seen this one kid of Angelique's in modern K&K. So what, did the other nineteen kids just get eaten offscreen?

Ahhh, nothing like a little bit of bank account identity theft as your good deed for Christmas. I'm sure the bank wouldn't notice the money suddenly being deposited to Angelique's bank account. And, of course, Kevin doesn't give a poo poo that his daughter just casually committed a crime since they're the protagonists.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Green Intern posted:

Specifically, they're Mafia Bosses in the drug trade, which Modesty and Willie have an intense dislike of and spent a lot of their time smashing while in their own criminal network.
Robbing people is one thing, running books is another, but Sex Trafficking and Drugs are consistently on their taboo list.

Yeah, I get why Modesty would hesitate about saving people engaged in the drug trade. I guess I'm just hung up on the detail that Joanna was used as the cult's sex slave. We've seen Modesty kick the rear end of a wifebeater, or even take down a human trafficking ring that sold girls to rich men, so it's just weird that she doesn't even mention what happened to Joanna as a reason for wanting to go after the Blackwings. Like she could mention wanting to take down the Blackwing for what they did to Joanna while also hesitating about doing it because it would mean saving the lives of the Mafia bosses.

Julet Esqu posted:

We've all known for some time that Brooke loves loves LOVES when his characters get to gently caress in front of a live audience.

I hate that he apparently considers small children to be an acceptable audience.

While Edda and Amos don't know that the kids are fully aware of what's happening in front of them, Brooke as the writer obviously does, so he's really gross to make these strips.

I was wondering if Foob was just going to ignore that the parents dumped the baby in Liz's room. Liz is still a growing kid who needs a full night's sleep. The baby's crib is close to her so of course she'll be the first one woken up when it's crying. It's completely reasonable for her to be upset and complain to her parents about it.

Ughhhh.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually what would happen in real libraries in a similar situation is

nah it's just a bit of obvious fun innit :v:

Just wanted to say that I appreciate your posts on how libraries work and how Dustin trivializes them.

So talking about the "finer points of married life" and Kevin won because he's a rabbit... They were totally boasting about who hosed their wife better, ughhhh.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EBB posted:

If Vin is alive, who did the kids murder and eat for the competition?

I'm gonna guess it was the elk Rudy spared, because :lol: at the idea of a nameless prey surviving.

Ashsaber posted:

'Hey, the guy we killed is probably not actually dead, and might be going into the witness protection program!'
'Lets track him down (and probably actually kill him)!'

The heroes, folks.

They say they're afraid Vin might go after Rudy again, but they didn't even bother asking Rudy what he wants. For all they know, Rudy stopped giving a poo poo about Vin. Once again, the heroes just do things for someone without asking them for their opinion or consent on the matter.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Good guess, but actually no.

I figured Holbrook realized that Rudy's team cheated yet again, so he made the others eat the elk to retcon the legitimacy of their win. Shows what I know. :v:

Mikl posted:

"Now he'll never learn about show don't tell!"

This strip is timely.

What the gently caress did I just read? :psyduck:

They acknowledge that the predators being bloodthirsty is a problem if left unchecked so their solution is to install them as the upper class with all the power in the world. The fact that the Birdlluminati thought that instead of teaching empathy, they solution is for the predators to make companies that actively cull prey species instead is pretty monstrous. And they have the gall to act like they're the only ones preventing the world from descending into a bloodbath, when they're the ones to blame for Hellworld.

Mikl posted:

Come to think of it, one thing I hadn't realised while posting today's set of Classic K&K strips: how do Aura and Fenton know each other? She's Rudy and Bruno's teacher, not his, and they haven't interacted on-panel that I can remember. Is it normal to be able to identify your girlfriend's step-brother's teacher on sight?

You see, the answer to that is- *gets killed by a passing predator*

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Someone mentioned before that the lighting on the Sunday strips was pretty bad since Jules makes Mark's skin look really shiny and almost-white. The lighting on this strip is way better and I hope Jules sticks with it.

Friends sending their clothes to each other is a weird enough 'joke', but the line at the end about forgetting her friend's scent is really loving weird.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

You got to love the juxtaposition of Rudy condemning the cultists of The Wild for taking advantage of people panicking from the Y2K Bug, with Kell getting praised for doing the same thing.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I liked parts of Wen-Tack, but the one thing I really didn't like about it was how Linton dropped out of the Wen-Tack Action Group for no reason. The last few stories have exaggerated Linton into a horny idiot and I was hopeful that Wen-Tack's focus on Linton meant he would get some character development.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

I liked her before for her cool outfit, but between this and spreading some homophobic rumors about Ulf before, Aune's just been pretty disappointing as a character.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

catlord posted:

Axa

And that's it for The Desired! I peeked ahead a little at the next story and I have high hopes for it.

Holy hell, Axa is so bad at being a protagonist. She bumbles around and has to get bailed out time after time. She takes doesn't really provide a decent argument against the dome's terrible gender politics. She also did absolutely nothing in helping to resolve things, especially since the Controller just shrugged and said the men and women can go if they wanted to. Axa also acts as if sending these people to the other dome is a good thing because they'll have the freedom to love each other there, when the dome does absolutely nothing of the sort.

Also that whole merman thing went absolutely nowhere.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Considering the conversation that was had in this thread yesterday, Classic Kevin and Kell (February 15-19, 1999) is going to make some people in here quite mad.

Well, this certainly took a turn to being extremely stupid.

Now I'm wondering if the 'aliens' are really just the Birdlluminati in disguise, since it'd make no sense for aliens to be concerned about Earth and want Fiona to fix the Y2K bug.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

The transherbivore guy and his sheep wife are confirmed infertile and adoption is quite common in the worldbuilding. At least four characters that I can think of. I'd like to think hybrids tending to be infertile is coherent worldbuilding based on real life biology but I know that in reality this is probably just a coincidence and that if it ever comes up it's going to be the dumb explanation you wrote.

What's funny is that (spoiler'd since Classic K&K is getting posted and others might not know it yet) sheep wife is actually half-wolf since she's Ralph's kid that he didn't know about. So chronologically, Corrie is the first predator/prey hybrid to exist in Hellworld.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I hate everything about this conversation.

I'm surprised Anja keeps hiring Leevi, considering how he tends to do things that inevitably snowball into dooming the last two companies.

I laughed a lot at this one. Not having a caption and just letting the joke stand on its own is just perfect. :allears:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

Sure, Ox. Tiff's a hip 90's teen, I'm sure she's seen the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie.

So did Ox break in from the back of the mansion instead of just knocking at the front door?

Kennel posted:

Mark Trail goes crazy and causes a million+ dollar yacht crash because his dad owns a speedboat? I'm not sure if it's a good comic, but I'm certainly curious where it goes from here.

Agreed. I don't know where Jules is going with this, but it's definitely got my interest. Honestly, I thought it was just a dream sequence where Mark imagines messing with his dad before popping back to reality.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

I forget, did she actually have sex with any of the boys she lusted after?

There was that guy from the dome that sold her out after they boned, the guy from the Middle People who got killed after they boned, and then Jason who surprisingly hasn't died yet.

I'm still surprised the Sexy Mermen from the last story had zero bearing on what happened. You'd think Axa would've boned one of them underwater at least. :v:

manero posted:

His name is Mr. Sputter! He occasionally pops up from time to time in order for Nancy to annoy him.

You're in luck because Nancy annoys him for the next 11 strips.

Hell yeah. :getin:

Now I'm kind of hoping Mr. Sputter comes back in Nu-Nancy.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know she's going to turn out to be correct about the statue being of that bird woman but I still can't get over the ridiculous leap in logic. If I saw a guy who looked like Abraham Lincoln walking down the street, I shouldn't immediately jump to "Abraham Lincoln never actually died in the theater and also he's immortal!"

I still can't get over how the only reason Fiona saw that the statue looked like her teacher is because she keeps defacing historical landmarks and art pieces. :psyduck:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

sweeperbravo posted:

Is Dethany* still wearing her hair up like her wedding? ... Why?

*from On the Fast Rack

This is the closest explanation we're getting on this:

Note that the boss's line about Dethany wanting attention to herself is either the boss super projecting onto her, or the boss knowing Dethany well enough by now that Dethany's an attention hog.

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (March 8-12, 1999) coming in with the Big Reveal.

Jesus christ, this is really stupid. :psyduck: It's no wonder Hellworld is the way it is. Amoral birds gave animals intelligence but didn't bother giving them empathy.

I know we're supposed to think that 'Michael's a slob so he can't be trusted with cars', but that doesn't have any bearing on driving. He's serious about learning how to drive so he knows he'll need to be careful not to damage his parents's cars, he even understands that his dad won't let him drive his fancy car.

And if they're going to trade in the old car anyway, they could delay doing so for a couple weeks so that Michael can practice driving with it. If they're really that worried about the car and not the kid crashing, then they could get in the car with Michael and teach him how to drive themselves.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

This strip sucks though:

:lol: at Team Evans treating this as if Tiff is still in an apartment. Tiff was just in the foyer and Ox entered from the back, so this doesn't really work as 'Tiff closes the doors to her home on poor ol' Ox.' Not to mention that the power went out while she was in the middle of a bath, so she would definitely want to finish that now that she's calmed down.

Okay, this seems promising so far.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac gets rave reviews.

Reading this has put a smile on my face. I'm glad Petey and Andre's project went well. :3:

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe's web archives

Rae the Doe #400

and with that, we've gone through every single strip in the archives! Thank you for sticking through it, and hope you liked it! I don't know if I'll pick something up to replace it or if I just do 5 strips now, we'll see.

Thanks for posting the web archives. I've really enjoyed Rae the Doe and it's super stretched out puns.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Axa's about to get horny for a robot, isn't she?

The Bloop posted:

And I don't get why

Worst character model in the murderverse

His head makes up 45% of his entire body. I know there was a lesbian rhino in the comic that only appeared a couple times, but I don't remember if her head was as big as this guy's.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 25, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The fact that what amounts to a chatbot infiltrated someone's Zoom classes is really loving stupid.

There's something offputting about DNA Wizard plugging Mars's (who is DNA Wizard's adopted child, btw) mind into what's considered as the team pet.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It annoys me how Holbrook drew the kids, including the stupid autocorrect, holding up papers IRL as a shorthand for there being a test. Online quizzes exist, Holbrook. :argh:

Oh my loving god, these two are the absolute worst. The kid's not playing with the robot because she sees Mars as a sibling, she's doing it because she grew up thinking of the robot as a toy. I don't think these two even explained to their kid what Mars's deal is, or that she has a sibling.

Good job alerting the intruder, you morons.

ikanreed posted:

A self-describing comic.

What. even. is. this.

I normally skip over holbrook, and all discussion of holbook as a deeply costly thing for my sanity otherwise. But what the gently caress? Am I supposed to know this character, who we only know as someone elses' daughter, so well that this completely nonsensical series of panels somehow forms a coherent thought. And not only that but find it funny?

What the gently caress was going through holbrook's head? A bubble test makes no sense? Why? Is it supposed to be anti-humor about how the strip itself makes no sense up until the last panel? Is there some characteristic to "Autocorrect"(are they an actual character or literally the concept of autocorrect?) that would make them fill out a bubble test in that way?

Self-describing is how Holbrook's "humor" works. He seems to think that doing a bunch of nonsensical visual metaphor and then having a character or textbox explain the punchline at the end is what passes for a joke. And if Classic Kevin & Kell is anything to go by, the man hasn't learned a thing for decades.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Again, this is an online class. You can't just look over someone's shoulder to peek at what they wrote. There's also no way you can copy someone else's homework when they haven't even uploaded the thing. The way Holbrook keeps treating online classes like they're in-person classes is really annoying.

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's not correcting his spelling, that's just writing something completely different, unless he had a sentence like "i stloe tihs frum crut."

Is it even possible to have a private conversation like that in Zoom anyway?

I guess autocorrect is like DNA now, in that it just does whatever magic it needs to be.

According to this, you can send someone a private message during a Zoom meeting and the host can't see it, though the host has the option to disable the chat function anyway.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

catlord posted:

Axa and Murray the Robot

I was joking when I made the comparison earlier.

Just gently caress the robot already, Axa. We know you want to.

It's also funny that despite trying to present herself as a hardened survivalist who threw away the Dome's comforts, Axa's been nonstop commenting how hard it is to deal with poo poo in this storyline. And now that she's seen the inside of the swamp city, she's sided with them 100%. No hint of suspicion on what the swamp scientists want with the others, not even curious why the cave people would rather deal with dinosaurs or anything.

In the hands of a competent writer, this would be the point where the kids in the classroom are completely fed up with the new kid constantly meddling with their routine and the new kid learns to chill out or something.

Transmodiar posted:

See, I thought they were the worst because they're all dressed in matching denim/tucked-in white T-shirts. But this is awful, too.

Yeah, I don't get why everyone in the idiot crew is sticking with wearing matching outfits. They're back on Earth, they have tons of clothing options to choose from now.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Don't drag Mr. Rogers into your twee bullshit, OBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

gently caress off with your boomerisms, Isopaljo.

For a second, I was confused how the boss could even affect the wifi in Dethany and her husband's home. Then I remembered that they're still being forced in the boss's mansion.

SubNat posted:

I'm still so annoyed by this.
The tree is sentient, why didn't it say anything about this beforehand? 'lol relax ppl, just droppin' a branch, it happens sometimes, it's like [REFERENCE TO SPECIES CHARACTERISTICS]!'
The tree is so huge and solid that the family can live inside it without issue, in comparison that branch is fairly small, and won't really do anything except smash anything it landed on?
Judging by the distance, it's not like it would gently caress up their neighbors house either. I don't know why any of this is such a big deal.

My guess is that this plot is only happening so the Dewclaws can congratulate Fiona for saving them from a branch falling harmlessly outside their home and say that they approve of her getting married to Rudy. :v:

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 31, 2021