Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Has anyone else read Jon Peterson's The Elusive Shift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, really impressive stuff, isn't it? Really wish I could read some of those old zines for myself.

There was so much rare media he had/got to go through. It would be great if someone was able to digitally archive it, but that seems like a pipe dream.

I’m trying to work out what an appropriate theme for a thread would be. Currently leaning strongly towards the blacow model stuff, which is was surprised to see existed when D&D like(?) games were really the last only available mechanical systems.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Do I need Trophy Dark to understand Trophy Gold?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I use to see Dinette Set at least weekly for years. I have never ever seen one that made sense or was funny.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

KingKalamari posted:

...Now that I think about it, why does he have a fanbase to begin with? His only real contribution to the scene mostly involved throwing money at other, more competent people and being an rear end in a top hat.

If I recall correctly, he was the only person with a working OSR storefront for years, since he had previously published some heavy metal zines.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

If you’re going to play Pendragon, I’d have to recommend the Great Pendragon Campaign. Frankly, the Merely Adequate Pendragon Campaign cannot compare and I’m a little confused as to why they released them together.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

What new piece of game design tech are you most interested in right now? By ‘game design tech’, I mean widgets like ’threats’, clocks’ or ‘advantage/disadvantage’.

I just read Belonging outside Belonging, so right now I’m thinking about ‘setting elements’ and how GMing work can be distributed through a play group.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Sigh, looks like we’re going to have to “Seek and Destroy the Dark Forces”. Here we go again!

*gets +2 to every roll in the campaign*

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I've been looking at a lot of microgames on itch.io recently, so I made a thread about it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961392

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Also ‘Venger’ is the name of the villain from the D&D cartoon show.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

KingKalamari posted:

Is there, like, an in-lore explanation for why it's a cube specifically? Or is that seen as one of those obviously self-evident questions like "Why is the ocean near the shore?"?

I don’t know the official reason, but in my view glorantha is probably a perfect cube inside a perfect sphere partially because the regular shapes represent the gods victory over infinite Chaos.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Anyone read any interesting new rpg books lately

I read "The Aesthetic of Games" by Brian Upton recently and recommend it. But that's not exactly an rpg book.

As for literal rpg books, I've been mostly obsessing over cheap itch.io games like the 2400 series by Jason Tocci.

Tosk posted:

So I have only occasionally lurked this forum on SA, despite being a massive roleplaying nerd and at this point reasonably experienced tabletop gm as well, but I was recently pontificating nostalgically and wondered if forum play-by-post roleplaying was ever very popular in this community? I mean of the purely creative writing-based variety, as I see there are a number of play-by-post games running, but more inclined towards mechanics and incorporating actual game elements. Recently I was thinking about how I used to do a lot of that kind of roleplaying as a teenager, and how it seems like it was such a weird and mid-to-late 2000s thing that the Internet captured, as all the forum roleplays I know of are dead or dying, except for a few run in specific very popular fandoms that always get an influx of new players, and it seems like something that could have existed on SA at some point over its history.

Sorry if this is off-topic. I tried to use the search engine to find any mention of this stuff and only found a few random posts in a previous incarnation of this thread.

I don't know a lot about the history of pbp on SA, but I do know that our forum has a peculiar obsession with the Choose Your Own Adventure format.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Nessus posted:

:yeeclaw: :crabdrugs:

This Web thing seems a little like it has the same word for multiple things, but it also reminds me of Fallen London in a way.

Hold - A currency you generate using a specific move that allows you to spend it on things specific to that move
Strings - A currency generated against a specific target, usually another PC or NPC, that allows you to spend it on different moves to do things related to that target.
Webs - A currency generated against a specific target, which can be anything (Your PC, another PC, an NPC, a location?) depending on the move that generates Webs, that allows you to spend it on different moves to do things related to the target.
?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Or homebrew a 5e hack of it

Everyone says this is the worst edition of, oh, you meant D&D.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I think what most people really want out of a western-themed thing is to gun-sling, talk in a drawl, stare down an outlaw, rob a train, protect a prospecting claim, and get deputized.

Oh, oh, Final Bid! How did I forget about Final Bid?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

The basic mechanic is straightforward enough, it's a dice pool system where you take your two highest-rolling dice, add a proficiency, compare to a DC. After that, though, it gets... well. Some highlights from the DTRPG preview:
  • Attributes are made up of dice, which form the pool that you roll. But the number and size appears to be arbitrary--the example given is that you could have a Strength of "5d8 and 2d10."
  • Difficulty values are in whole numbers, but skill ranks add decimals to your result (e.g. if you roll a 12 and have 7 points in a skill, you have a result of 12.7).
  • Dice that explode in an inexplicably counterintuitiveextremely dumb way (a d8 that explodes adds a new d10 to your dice pool, a d10 adds 2d12, and a d12 adds a d20). The reason you don't just get another die of the same size like every other exploding dice system ever is that these are explicitly added to your dice pool, not the total of the exploding die, and thus are still subject to the "only keep the two highest" rule. Yes, that means that your "exploded" d8 has an 80% chance of being worthless.
  • Any 1s rolled subtract from your result, continuing the "the more dice you have, the more likely you are to kneecap yourself" trend of Storyteller et al.
  • A skill list with sixty four skills.
Now, granted, I'm going off of nothing but the basic mechanics overview preview, maybe the full book explains some of these decisions or has extra permutations that make them make more sense, but nothing in the basic rules inspires me with any confidence or desire to spend money on it. The impression I get isn't so much a heartbreaker in the sense of "the author has only ever played D&D and has no conception that there are other ways to design an RPG," but it feels like a designer who is so terrified of being perceived as ripping off other games (or maybe just so focused on being "innovative") that they've made a bunch of frankly bizarre and inexplicable decisions in an attempt at novelty.

This sounds like a version of Agon written by Markov chain.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

LatwPIAT posted:

What’s a metaphorical cop?

Presumably not, a person who’s stated job is to enforce laws about the construction of metaphors.

e: A person that doesn’t exist except as a conceptual example of a law enforcement officer.
A person that is a real bastard, but only in the abstract.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 12, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I just picked up a copy of wanderhome. Has anyone played it yet that wants to share their experiences?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

Is Flesh and Blood worth looking into at all if I crave a card game dude basher and think all the stuff they’ve bolted onto Magic since Planeswalkers just makes it more obvious how much of the game is mired in design from 30 years ago?

I'm not into the theme at all, so I haven't personally looked into it. But what I have incidentally heard is that if you are looking to get into it be sure to buy from the 'unlimited' core set (rather than the sold out initial versions of the core set) because it's one of the CCGs that has blown up with card speculation recently.

Hostile V posted:

Pay the Price

Wow, I completely forgot that this was a cut, I was just using 'Pay the Price' as my generic name for resource expenditure requirements surrounding rolls.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I'm extremely confused by this card, because as far as can tell the only game rules information conveyed by this card is that this picture, which is apparently of Amanda, represents the character Amanda.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

fool of sound posted:

Nope, it's called 'the Gathering', like juggalos.

This is an incredibly unfortunate coincidence for the CCG.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Holy balls, that initiative system is loving garbage. Definitely a system-killer for sure.

I'm pretty down on 'you take counterattack damage whenever you miss' too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Megazver posted:

Heh. In Into the Odd all attacks the PCs and the monsters make hit, you just roll to see how much damage you deal.

Unfortunately, the one time I signed up to play this game, the GM wanted to run the module called Sleeping Place of the Feathered Swine, which is a cave filled with incredibly contagious mutating former persons now disgusting tumour-creatures that infect you as soon as they hit you.

The GM didn't consider that the combination might not work that well.

There's a fairly obvious solution to this in system too. Spreading the disease should be their critical damage effect (i.e. The thing you save against when you hit 0 HP).

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

hyphz posted:

Anyone know if this guy’s broadcasts are any good? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guysclanders/the-practical-guide-to-becoming-a-great-gm

The 5e style layout is a bad sign. I’m guessing it’s not going to cover improvisation or catch 22s.

Guy’s advice focuses heavily on his screen writing experience. This makes it more interesting to me than the average YouTube gming dreck. You should watch some of his videos to see if this kind of advice is for you, hyphz.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Technically a countdown clock is a pie chart. I need to think about this some more.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like the tone of this thing is extremely in the vein of Bloodborne and I think Bloodborne would have been a lesser game if a slew of beta testers had said "the blood thing is really gross, can't it just be runes or spells?"

Caryll, the beta tester.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

The pdf also included a coupon code for their line of "gaming scents" to really set the mood of any tabletop game night.

You all meet in *checks scent supply feverishly* an Italian restaurant, the waiter there warns you that they’ve been having a rat problem in the public park.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 29, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You're being facetious. The part of the rules you're expected to have memorized to play D&D can fit on a single page, and then have room left over.

This seems like it's going significantly too far in the opposite direction. Surely, you need to know all of the information associated with how your own character works? That's probably two to five pages depending on which edition you're talking about. The latest retroclone of B/X takes an entire page to describe all the ability score modifier assignments.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You wouldn't memorize all of your abilities or spells before play. I certainly don't have my character abilities memorized by the first time I play (in an unfamiliar system). You just pick what looks good at the time and use the book as reference.

We're talking about different information thresholds. You're talking about a game where a player sits down and when combat begins you explain to them what armor class is. Which is a perfectly valid way to teach D&D. You're not including the synthesis of that information in your 'page of memorized information to play D&D', but I am.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Splicer posted:

Hello I'm Tim and I'm not on fire.

Oh, it’s the strong bad fictional universe where no two people are not on fire.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

For Luke people who use the word failure are cowards and traitors.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Like, if this does as well as LotR did, they're, what 3-4 years out from losing the Dr. Who license to Free League, as well?

I'm marking my calendar then.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Virtual Reality roleplaying game. Huh, is this what they mean when they say metaverse?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Quest weirds me out because it makes you equally competent at every task in the game regardless of any circumstances. I get the benefit of having a fixed die roll, but it’s too excessively rules light even for me. Advantage and disadvantage could have easily been added, that’s what tiny dungeon (effectively) does.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Just to be clear I'm certainly interested in what any given person's GamerFeels are regarding GMless games, but I'm mostly looking to know the broader temperature regarding them in rpg players as a whole. I'm not really keyed into the larger rpg social ecosystem so I really have no clue.

Do you mean here at SA or everywhere? We are a pretty unusual cross section. I think you'll find a completely disproportionate number of people here who both know what No Dice No Masters is, and have played it, for example.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Let me cut to the chase. Read FrontEarth Striders. I think that will provide a perspective option for you that may be more appealing to some players.

Actually everyone should read FrontEarth Striders.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Everywhere, yes. Perhaps excluding the DnD-lifers who just assume every game is DnD but worse.

Well in that case SA may be an okay cross section to check.

My personal experience is:
My players have played Fiasco several times and love it. (I've actually never played myself.)
They didn't seem interested in DramaSystem.
They get really excited when I do collaborative world building, but I've flubbed the campaign launch every time we did it.
They also love PBTA.
I don't think any of them are familiar with No Dice No Masters.

I personally, would love to play a GMless game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Splicer posted:

A chunk of this is why I ran my game in TOS. The other thing is that in TOS you're a lot more independent. You pretty much are the federation 90% of the time and there's no zoom chats with admirals putting their input in, just the occasional telegram message with a massive time delay.

I've been watching a couple of TOS episodes recently, and the enterprise's role is very amusing sometimes. One episode I watched their mission was to give remote researcher's their yearly medical check up, and the background time pressure was that they were supposed to deliver a shipment of chili peppers before they went bad.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Me sowing: Stop rolling dice.
Me reaping: it’s good to hit your players with a chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

The Edition Wars taught me that you can't argue the merits of AD&D with AD&D fans, because no one actually plays AD&D.

I assume this was when OSRIC came out? I had the perception there was a group of people that grabbed OSRIC and immediately checked out to play only that, perhaps I was mistaken.