Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

With Campaign Cartographer, turn off the sheet/layer effects until its time for the final render; those slow things down. And yes, one of the CC bonuses is you can use the maps you make in it in publications (need special permission for battlemaps - i.e. anything that's large enough that their assets could be easily ripped, but that's just a case of emailing and asking, no fees or anything.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Running: Scum and Villainy
Playing: Cthulu pulp - Twin Serpents.

Intending to start a solo campaign of one of the various things I'm unlikely to get to the table.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Agent Rush posted:

If a setting-building type game is ok, there's things like Microscope or Four-Colour Apocrypha you could try.

That Four Colour one seems to have vanished

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Evil Mastermind posted:

Something just occurred to me; despite everyone being in isolation for almost a loving year now, have we ever had a thread dedicated to solo rpgs/board games?

I can write about them and explain and so on, but I don't want to write an effort post; I failed miserably at making one for the Free League games despite the thread having been my idea :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

aldantefax posted:

Hmm. Sounds like a bad guy.

Rules Cyclopedia was pretty sensibly laid out. I thumbed through all of OSE's core book and it is a bit easier to read in PDF format and the stuff that is pointed out makes sense as errata or interpretations. I dunno that I'm necessarily going to use it over another game engine, since I probably might leverage DCC before any other retroclone, but that's a thing for the OSR thread, I wager.

Anybody playing any games recently? Just wrapped up another GURPS session and gonna run D&D tomorrow, then more GURPS on Friday. Hooray!

I'm playing in Call of Cthulu Pulp - the Twin Serpents adventure path. It's being competently run, but it's just not very interesting. The alternative was yet another forgotten realms dungeon crawl. I'm also running Scum and Villainy - coming up to 5 months now with weekly sessions. They picked the smuggler ship and are just bimbling around, so honestly it's getting a bit tedious to run, but the individual sessions are fun. I wish I'd either vetoed the smuggler or told them outright, you need an actual goal other than making money, or you need to pick one or two factions to focus on working for or against.

Also started a solo game of Ultraviolet Grasslands, which I'll start writing up and putting on my solo-rpg blog soonish.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

aldantefax posted:

Are there any RPG systems which focus on resource mechanics regarding wilderness survival other than, uh, the old Wilderness Survival splat book for D&D?

e: prominently, rather, than as a footnote (or other interesting mechanics of a similar nature regarding resource acquisition and depletion)

Forbidden Lands?

UVG has some stuff about stopping to forage if your caravan runs out of food, but it's not super detailed.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My Lovely Horse posted:

actually spells as monsters would also own in a classic fantasy game. You don't just "get" spells at level up, you have to go out of your way to find, subdue and record a wild one. Forget the tarrasque, every few decades Wish breaks loose.

The original Guildwars computer game kind of had that with Elite Skills - you had to go out into the world maps and defeat the boss monster that had the skill you wanted.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I honestly think that the Basic D&D modules are a much better source of old school adventures than the famous AD&D modules.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Combat should be totally advised in Ryutaama, because it's very boring.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pendragon's combat rules are a tiny part of the book. There's more rules about being overly dramatic knights than there is about fighting.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I really didn't like the bald people with all the piercings art. It was in that strange intersection of being both technically competent and viscerally unpleasant to look at.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Payndz posted:

My curiosity about how much a copy of The Keep On The Borderlands would cost on eBay to replace the one I sold decades ago is now making me really, really regret selling my orange-cover-with-B&W-art copy of Tomb Of Horrors for about £3. :stare:

Gazeteers are my bane. I had loads of them in perfect condition and sold them all. Have mostly replaced them, but still missing some.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd like to drop a recommendation for Sine Nomine's Scarlet Heroes, which is a D&D derivative designed specifically to be played with one GM and one player

The key technology - the damage and defy death mechanics - translate straight into any D&D derivative with no issues

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

One of the FATE world books has an entire setting about being fire fighters with a set of rules for fighting fires.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

fool of sound posted:

Does anyone know of any particularly good npc generation tables? Like "roll 3 physical traits, roll 4 personality trait, roll 2 backstory prompts" type thing?

Persons of Interest for Stars Without Number - easily adaptable to other genres.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Re: solo dungeon crawling, could also get your favoured ruleset and use a dungeon generation system, or have a look at Four Against Darkness and it's related games. (One of the supplement authors is very magical realmy, but there's nothing like that in the core games)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Coolness Averted posted:

Wait are bottom tier from back then really that expensive? poo poo I need to go through my collection and see if I still have some commons from back then. I also feel that much worse about getting my collection stolen as a kid. Like I know rares from the Unlimited era were ridiculously expensive, but I thought stuff like comic book shops selling sealed boxes for thousands of dollars was a gambling thing like "what if this has a lotus or mox in it?" Not "everything but lands are worth full dollars"

Tell me about it - even in the early days of magic some cards were worth a fortune (I bought and insured my first motorcycle from magic card proceeds - I remember my Dad being so impressed when I just handed him the cash (he had to pay for the insurance because I didn't have a debit card); and I would have had even more money if some fucker hadn't stolen a deck of mine that had time twisters and time walks in it. 20+ years, and I'm still angry about that, especially as I know who did it, but could never prove it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: Post Apoc chat, how about GURPs if you want crunch?

I don't think it's crunchy enough for you, but I like Atomic Highway.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shadowfist was a cool game; I think I still have both my decks somewhere.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

hyphz posted:

I think this is more or less standard. It's what makes me wonder if anyone actually enjoys RPGs.

It's not standard in any games I've run or played in, either online or in person.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I was just going to post Brancalonia too.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

What is GLOG?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The big issues with VTTs for me is that they either have severely limited character sheets - e.g. Roll and Fari, or require daft amounts of coding to make a sheet. Astral has GUI based sheet creation which is almost decent, but basically ran like poo, and is now just in maintenance mode.

re: drawing on the VTT, it's dead now, but Infrno was the best of them in that regard. You could drag and drop pictures onto it, free hand, or it had a whole Visio-style wireframe symbol library.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 1, 2022

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm not sure the bottle will clear the catapult, but do you automatically get new snake bottles, or do you have to roll to get new snakes?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

MonsieurChoc posted:

So is the Troubleshooters rpg good? Because franco-belgian comic adventures is my jam!

I've got it, but haven't had a chance to read yet. (It's me, I'm the RPG hoarder)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Carillon posted:

Is there a backgammon thread? I feel like I'm constantly getting by last two pieces stuck in their original position, but every time I try and move them they get hit. I'd love to think more about when to move them, but am not sure where to look for advice.

No ides re: thread, but prioritize getting pieces out of the enemy home.

If you have two pieces left behind enemy lines, if you can't cover them both, either try and do a run with one, or re-arrange your home for a faster clear.

Always try to hit the opponent if you can (assuming your home is pretty closed up)

It is possible to win a backgammon (i.e. attacking the enemy once they've started clearing their home - if your home is all blocked they can't start clearing again until you open space) but iirc the odds of it working are about one in three.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 16, 2022

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

PurpleXVI posted:

Hey, if you ever want someone who will ardently defend Thac0 as simple and intuitive, you can always PM me. I'll never be unwilling to die on that hill. :v:

I too like ThAC0, you are not alone.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Best Left Buried has you rolling 3d6 for combat. Two of them you use to hit with, and the remaining one is the damage.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Do we have a thread for that Dungeon 23 thing?

I'm pondering doing it, but not sure about a dungeon. Maybe islands?

Or I keep wanting to do a road trip game, so maybe a big roadtrip thing? Like locations would be towns and wierd things on the route. Not sure what setting trappings should be used though.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There's a thread for Dungeon 23 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020948

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Drone posted:

Random thought: when you've got your slipcase RPG sets sitting on a shelf, do y'all put the spine of the books inside the slipcase facing out, or the spine of the slipcase itself?

I've got the CoC 7e slipcase set and I kinda like just having a big gently caress-all Call of Cthulhu logo sitting in the middle of my bookshelf.

Slipcase spine out

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

ZearothK posted:

Shadow of the Weird Wizard kinda does that with weapon traits only becoming active if characters have certain stat thresholds, and then you have combat tokens available to martial classes that you can spend to improve your attacks.

Is that actually out?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There's Leisure Games too,but iirc they're way out at the end of one of the tube lines.

Orcs Nest is pretty unfriendly as a shop.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Antivehicular posted:

I've never heard of Dragonraid in my life, and boy, even that carefully-phrased Wikipedia article is unnerving

There was a full F&F of it, but not sure if it's archived on Inklesspen's site or if you'll have to search for it :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I remember 2XS being a pretty good Shadowrun novel. Think it tied into the Universal Brotherhood stuff?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, as somebody who has read far too many Shadowrun novels Findley was the only one who was able to mix likable characters with actually knowing how the world works. Other novels either did one or the other and far too many couldn't either.

I liked Black Madonna too. And whilst the Secrets of Power trilogy was cheesy as anything, it was a fun read.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Deleter posted:

"Create an ASCII art version of the parrot without accidentally killing myself" challenge: failed

They list a minimum resolution in the first story, so you might not be able to display it in ASCII?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Kwyndig posted:

For once I'd like to see alien bugs depicted as something other than hostile communists, usually with a "hive mind". Where's my race of rugged individualist bugs like Goliath Beetles? Or peaceful rancher bugs like Ladybugs? Or even weird adaptive hunters like Mantids?

Give me some variety in bugs, fiction!

Read 'Children of Time' by Adrian Tchaikovsky or 'A Deepness in the Sky' by Vernor Vinge. Both have a different take on the same type of bug.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There's a couple of decent FB groups for selling boardgames and RPG stuff.

Boardgame Trading and Chat UK (green and white group photo)

and

Boardgames & RPGs buy and sell UK &EU only (big red meeple in group photo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Do we have a thread for VTT development?