Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Hypnobeard posted:

Is there a translated version?

Finished it right at the rear end-end of last year, with everything available here. And by "everything" I mean "just the three core rulebooks so far", and by that I mean "I totally skipped out on the little scenario/mini module adventures in each of the three books because I totally thought they were replays and not actually viable adventures so I need to translate them over the next few days." Outside of that, 100% playable as-is, and I'd be more than happy to answer questions and such via PM, mostly so it doesn't clutter the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Xiahou Dun posted:

I can’t imagine translating a document that was neither fish nor fowl. Hell yeah go you. It owns bones. Would there be a rights problem if I wanted to read the original? I’m down to pay money of course.

So as I mentioned in the previous thread, this is merely an unofficial fan translation. I do not have the official rights, nor do I claim to, to say mine is the definitive translation, and were I asked by anyone at Group SNE or Kadokawa Publishing to take it down, I would.

That being said, one of the massive (and I mean massive updates that helped me out considerably was Kindle versions of all of the books. That's not just core rulebooks, but also supplements, region books, replays, etc. Downside is, they're only available through Amazon Japan to Japanese accounts only. Upside, one of my old, old high school nerd buddies from back at the turn of the millennium ended up going into the Navy (and became a cook on a submarine like he wanted) now actually lives in Japan, and let me borrow his Amazon Japan account in order to get said versions.

If something like that is not feasible, the original paper books are still fairly cheap, and iirc they should ship from Amazon Japan super quickly even considering the current plague. I wanna say that the basic core rulebooks should still only be around ¥700, ¥800 or so each, though some of the supplements get up around ¥3500-¥4000 or so before shipping.

drrockso20 posted:

This is most righteous, assuming you'll be continuing translating past the core books, what could be some things we might see in the future?

So there are about 10 or so rules supplements, that for the most part add various new races, classes, combat feats, spells, etc. There's a couple of books that allow for playable Barbaros characters, as well as one particular book covering epic-level play (above 15th level, though I don't know how far above). Another describes gameplay in a past era, while a whole bunch of new gods and religions are the basis for yet another supplement. There's also 8 books that cover various regions in the world, adding a bunch of background and NPCs to be used during play.

I do appreciate the thanks, as it's definitely not a project I'd blasted out over the course of a weekend. There's a number of reasons it took me almost a decade to get this done, though the plague lockdowns honestly helped to give me the time to work on it. As far as continuing, unless I get asked to pull it down I do plan on continuing, starting with the various rules supplements when I finish with the scenarios I'd skipped. Dunno how long that'll take, but with any luck hopefully not another decade.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Len posted:

How do you guys handle a game where you just run out of ideas for future sessions?

Honestly, I'm a bit of a hack, and pull ideas from old NES/SNES games.

For example, I'm planning on running a game where the players will start as fairly high level adventurers storming the tower of the bad guy, then having essentially a timed fight against the boss once they reach his sanctum (I'm thinking taking 5 turns in combat before doing a face to white kinda deal, leaving the result ambiguous until later in the campaign, unless the combat actually ends before that happens). Next session, I'll have them create new characters as descendants of the previous group, with the caveat that they can't create a descendant of the person they were playing as. This whole opening was stolen basically wholesale from Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, and I've had it work with the group I'd tried it with back during my college days.

Another really interesting idea is to have rumors of a cult in the town the players are heading to, something involving a powerful something rising from the depths again. If they manage to find one of the cultists (however they may manage that), they will find a small blue crystal orb on their person. A nearby lake happens to have a monument on the shoreline, with an ever-so-convenient place to rest something small and spherical. When the correct object is placed, something underwater shifts, allowing the lake to reveal a passage under the water (exactly how, I'll leave up to you). Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest may have had some funky translation issues, but once past that there are some neat ideas that can be used with a little tweaking to fit in your game world.

When pulling ideas from games, obviously other RPGs are going to have the lion's share of good ideas and situations, but don't overlook other genres, either. For example, the children of a local hunting and trapping town are going missing, and if the parents are lucky the body will wash up on the shore of the local lake a week later, nearly dismembered by slashes from a large blade and desiccated despite being waterlogged. At the same time, the noises coming from the nearby woods come and go, sounding almost inhuman, and it is at their worst that a child will go missing from their home. It is up to the players to find what is causing these deaths, and to put an end to everything. As they explore the woods, they will not only come across a giant chasing them down with a large machete, but also the severed head of a demon, the only remnant of a terrible fiend that drained souls from the living. Centuries ago, the demon was decapitated, the body burned and the head sealed away; only recently when the local woodsmen unknowingly destroyed the seals did the demon find itself back in this world, and quickly corrupting the minor deity of the lake nearby in order to cull the youth and restore its body. You could probably obfuscate that a little more, because it's a little too on the nose for people familiar with Friday the 13th, but you see where I'm going with this.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

In the vein of complicated card games, I've honestly been a fan of Seasons. It's kind of like an MtG draft, but with a much smaller subset of cards out of a larger collection, and there's dice rolling involved as well. It's definitely weird to get used to, but once you have it down it's really fun.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did GW ever rerelease their Warmaster stuff?

So there hasn't been any sort of rerelease of Warmaster, whether rules or models.

However, there is a dedicated group out there who have taken some of the rules from Warmaster Ancients (the "historical" Warmaster) and folded then into the original rules, calling it Warmaster Revolution. There's a fairly active Facebook group where people talk about the game, and I've heard of a forum for experimental rules, bug fixes and errata, but I haven't seen an actual link to it just yet.

As for the models, between Kickstarters from Cromarty Forge, Black Gate and others, Patreons/Gumroads such as Onmioji, Ankylo and Forest Dragon, and the proliferation of 3d resin printers in general, armies have been easier to find than ever, assuming you're not looking for original GW pewter. There's also a Tabletop Simulator plug in for Warmaster as well, in case you're still not sure about heading out into the world with the whole pandemic thing.

There's been rumors that Warhammer: The Old World is going to be another have in the style of Warmaster, but nothing concrete as of yet.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Helical Nightmares posted:

How about something the players would not want to kill, like a flying cat, or maybe a swarm of them. Totally harmless to humanoid characters, assuming they don't distract from combat, but with the agility necessary that would put a spellcasting bird in serious check.

Maybe the next wizard antagonist has a flying cat as a familiar...

Edit: By flying cat I was really thinking of winged cat.

Owlcat gryphons, maybe? Sufficiently magical, while also being absolutely adorable and horribly vicious to anything smaller than it in it's airspace.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Not sure where to ask this, so I'll ask here. I have a couple pdfs that I'd like to convert to dead tree format, specifically three that are all in the 300-400 page ballpark. I'm aware that Lulu offers print-on-demand but is kinda expensive, and DriveThruRPG does print-on-demand but afaik it's only for books on their site (which these aren't). So I'm wondering if there are any other sites that offer similar services without breaking the bank.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Arivia posted:

But yes, people posting anime gifs angry about the red 1 number are legit too.

Interestingly enough, Sword World 2.5 specifically has a very similar concept, called "Fellows". Essentially, you take an existing character, distill it down to four options for it to do whenever, depending upon a 2d6 roll, and fluff it out. The character sheet normally looks something like this:

where a fellow sheet is much more simplified, and looks like this:

An important thing to notice is the lack of HP on the fellow sheet, and this is intentional. Basically, a fellow can't take damage, let alone anything that would damage them though to kill them. Kinda rude to kill off someone's character when they're not even using it, right? They just kinda dodge out of the way, or bring their shield up just in time, or whatever. Even negative effects, like poisons, curses, etc. don't affect fellows.

There's also little check boxes in the lower right corner, for experience and rewards, so the character's owner can choose whether or not the character gets any rewards for going out and adventuring as a fellow. Some might just want to get some extra experience, some might just want the items, some might want both. Obviously, this is much more effective in Japan, where the playerbase is larger and fellows can be shared much more often, but there's a decent amount of fellows on the unofficial discord server.

Once a fellow is taken out on an adventure and returns, the players taking the fellow ought to let the fellow's owner know what happened, so that way they can work it into the character's story, and maybe even remake an updated fellow later on down the road.

Not to say there aren't limitations, though.
First, fellows can't go out and adventure alone, there's gotta be at least one actual full PC (though you could totally do solo play with 1 PC and a few fellows).

Second, they don't use their own consumable items (potions and the like), but must be given them from the PC's own inventory.

Third, a fellow can't go out scouting alone, they're considered to be in the same area as a PC (so no using them for cheap, unkillable scouting).

Fourth, they can only really take actions on the sheet, for the most part. The GM can have them take very simple actions, such as hiding along with a PC, or following them through a maze, etc, but for the most part if they are to have any actual, mechanical effect on the game, they are limited by the actions to be on the sheet. (As an aside, if the action desired the PCs and the action rolled on the fellow sheet don't match, it's assumed that either the fellow can't perform the action, or has tried and failed, whichever would make sense given the context.)

Fifth, as the fellows are immune to damage, there's a chance that all of the PCs could die in combat. If that happens, the fellows basically just leave the PCs where they were, and bounce back to safety. If the scenario requires a report to be made to a client, for example, the fellow will do that, but they'll make their escape from the TPK as best they can, leaving the PCs behind.

Now, rules as written a fellow is essentially equivalent to a single PC, but there's definitely a few campaigns that have been translated that would likely need to have two fellows be the equivalent of a PC due to their difficulty. That same house rule is also recommended if you're going for solo play,

All in all, it's a very interesting system, and makes it easier for groups with fewer players be able to get together and play without having to worry about toning down encounters.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Vadun posted:

That Sword World Fellows system just screams Dragons Dogma pawns to me. I need to read it.

Oh yeah, it's been mentioned in the discord before, it's definitely very similar. Afaik, no one's sat down and done a conversion, but it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

I will say that since it's an unofficial fan translation project, it's something that I don't really want to directly link here. At the same time, you can just Google the subreddit and go from there.

I'm also not going to lie, I do have a stake in the game as I've put a lot of time into running the translation project, so there's some bias in saying I really like the system. At the same time, though, it's a really neat system that does address a lot of the issues I have with D&D 5e, while hitting a lot of the same notes.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Leperflesh posted:

I think in long-running comic book titles, the superhero doesn't get progressively significantly stronger with each issue because they want to keep publishing issues in that vein for years.

But a superheroes game doesn't have to only emulate the longstanding well established power level of say, spider-man or wonder woman, across five hundred issues. You can also look at limited series for inspiration, or just focus on an extended origin story for a character. The first year of Tony Stark's development of the Iron Man armor certainly includes a significant ramp up of capability and power... or if you like the modern marvel movies, Captain Marvel covers an arc from normal human to galaxy-trekking superpowered hero with enough events in one film to cover quite a few adventuring sessions.

That said, I think a superheroes RPG that is broadly kitchen-sink should cover both things - if your game is focused entirely on characters who level up and gain in power, it's hard to do a multi-year campaign with characters that stay within a particular power band throughout.

This kind of thing is why I like the idea of the Justice Society from DC (even if their writers aren't always great 🫥). You can have the same superhero, but they might be a different person under the mask, with similar but not exactly the same power sets. Sometimes, it might be the old character's protégé or child, and the new character might have their blessing. Other times, it could be a young upstart taking the mantle by force, and calling themselves by the old hero's name for some purpose.

Either way, having legacy characters like this can provide an out for a GM to give players once they've gotten to the point where all they're dealing with is cosmic threats. Not only that, but by having legacy characters, all kinds of neat game altering concepts can be introduced. Things like time skips (and possibly time travel to back when the original characters were in their prime), new villains, new technology, the older heroes coming out of retirement this one time and so on, can be brought to the game to extend the life of the game and the shared universe the group is creating.

Honestly, I'd love to run a game with legacy superheroes at some point, with the added twist that once we get to the next generation the players have to make a legacy character of another player's hero. I think it would be neat to see what players think about the other characters and come up with.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

For those without Xitter

Context: Recently in Yugioh, there was an archetype released called "Gunkan Suship", which is a bunch of battlecruisers themed around gunkan-style sushi. There are also a couple of support cards, like "Daily Special" and "Catch-of-the-Day", which basically let the player act as a sushi chef when resolving the effects of the cards. Likely because of this, a number of dedicated players have decided that they'll just straight cosplay as sushi chefs at major events worldwide. However, I haven't heard of any of them actually making sushi at the events, sadly.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Yeah, as the Legion of Votann.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

On this topic, I've found that it's good for me to have an outline of what the world is doing, which gives the players the choice of what they want to interact with. I really like using a table from the old Companion DM's book from BECMI D&D, where it gives different percentile chances for various events, like fires, earthquakes, food shortages, etc. Where I differ is that the chart says to generate those events over the course of a year, where I do it quarterly, and see what comes up. This gives me a bare bones framework to start with, gives a ton of plot hooks, and leaves enough open to figure out what I can dangle in front of the players, and what would end up happening if they left everything alone.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Helical Nightmares posted:

Would this contain the table from the old Companion DM book you are talking about? https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/17167/DD-Master-Set-BECMI-ed-Basic

Close, but you're looking at the Master set (or the M in BECMI), where you want the Companion Set (the C), the set before it. https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/17165/d-d-companion-set-becmi-ed-basic

Specifically, you're looking at page 10, where there's actually two charts of "dominion events", separated into natural and unnatural events. Now, it's definitely geared towards the stereotypical D&D-style high fantasy dungeon crawl, and so there's mentions of outbreaks of lycanthropy, or other magical happenings, but the majority of the events are fairly generic. With a little effort, you could probably come up with other events that would fit for lower fantasy, or even other genres, but it's definitely a decent starting point.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

The longest running game I'd been in was a 1e D&D game that met mostly every Sunday, running anywhere between 5 and 9 hours, for just over 5 years straight. There was significant homebrew in the game, from races to monsters to spells and so on, as both the DM and one of the players had been playing pretty much since the release of 1e and homebrew was a big way to get around knowing monster stats and stuff like that.

While I liked the game, there were definitely times when the rules got in the way. Don't know if I'd ever go back to playing D&D for that long again, but it was definitely a fun time while it lasted.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

drrockso20 posted:

On the topic of Lorcana;

Hey now, no doxxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Speaking of, I'd only heard about the *haven games in passing, never having actually played any of them, or really seen them in person. At least, until we got two copies of Frosthaven in at work. Totally didn't realize it was a 35 pound (16.2 kg) box. We don't even want to have the box too high off the ground just in case it falls, because we wouldn't want anyone to get seriously injured.