Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lord_Magmar posted:

But three very specific comments stood out to me as people just not watching the movie.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ah good, so some people just aren’t paying attention.

This kind of thing seems weirdly aggressive?

I think mostly people understood what was happening and just didn't like it, or they saw the same thing but interpreted it a different way. Shageletic seems to have missed one aspect on their watch but that doesn't prove your assertion that people are just dumb and didn't notice stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Man, can you imagine someone getting weirdly aggressive and dismissive and calling people dumb about different interpretations or missing details in a DC movie? That's crazy talk. Never happens.

If there's something specific you're referring to then please elaborate, we are all friends here :)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I was making a joke about how it happens for literally every DC movie.

lol fair enough

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This came up earlier in Discord. It seems to be a reference to this reply, but I am not convinced it actually confirms anything:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That’s what I figured but it’s also this idiots own fault for answering a complex, multi-part question with a single word

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol yea seriously, way to bury the loving lede but I guess E>A

(the headline I mean, not anyone here)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

a lot defending Johns saying he's done more for diversity in comics than Ray ever could.

lol loving how? He spent most of his career trying to reset the status quo back to where it was when he was a kid in the late seventies. If he was trying to promote diversity he could have advanced the legacies to new, diverse characters instead of resurrecting Barry Allen and Hal Jordan (aka, square jawed white guy #3 and 4 of the DC universe)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The big issue seems to be that Pirate Jet incorrectly lumped Ellis in with people who have done this, seems like a pretty correctable problem here and nothing for anyone to freak out over

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I haven’t seen it yet but I had assumed Wandavision would start out with the cheesy sitcom setup but would basically immediately start glitching out and there would be an early reveal. Disappointing that this sounds like not the case.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Two episodes in and I don't think there's even anything that could be considered a real spoiler. I was initially excited that the 6 episode limit would make it so they would have less filler than your standard 8 episode show, but so far its been basically all filler.

Oof, that's grim. Gotta see when my D+ month is up (got it for some holiday movies since it was cheaper than renting them individually) but will probably not re-up unless the next episode or 2 are especially great.

Blood Boils posted:

It's because they are generally bad at criticism. Having an inconsistent framework is the black mark, not the subject

Yeah, not sure I necessarily agree with the "to get clicks" part, I think it's just lazy shorthand, the same as when people reference Michael Bay or the prequels or whatever else everyone agrees is a placeholder for "dumb, bad movies that we all rightfully don't like" in these kinds of situations. Like a late night host level, "this stuff's so dumb right :smug:" level joke in an otherwise thoughtful review.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

well why not posted:

these are awful awful posts to read. he's going to get a credit on avengers 5, isn't he?

It works as a real mean parody of how Avengers era Joss Whedon would write it, if it’s serious then yeeeeesssshhhh

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I never saw KotM after hearing all the negative word about it. Was it really that bad?

The trailer made it look insanely dope but most of the best shots were in the trailer already. The obligatory human plot was a lot weaker than in the first one, but I thought the monster fights were appropriately good and worth it if that’s what you’re into

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Needs the one from yesterday where someone said The Eternals gonna be 2001

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

2001 is awesome but I wouldnt have loved it as much if I didn't see it on the giant IMAX screen.

Its so immersive.

I first watched 2001 when I must've been like 15 or 16 in my pitch black basement at like 1am on a school night on an old CRT TV and it still blew me away. The stargate sequence followed by the room with the old man freaked me the gently caress out and I needed to switch to MTV or something for a second lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aping Lynch and the Twilight Zone is honestly the most ambitious the MCU has been in awhile so I’m interested to see where it goes

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

WandaVision has been pretty cool so far with the exception of some hand-holdy segments once the SWORD stuff starts interjecting

Hopefully the pay off is actually ambitious and it doesn't amount to "we radically changed the status quo!...for a few episodes but then we reset it because magic" which would be the wrong lesson to adopt from comics

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm kind of hopeful that even if Coates' fiction writing isn't the best the big ideas will come through better in a movie format, where the more memorable/powerful ideas can be given proper context while the meat and potatoes storytelling will be the director's job to hammer out. I guess it really will depend on who they get to direct.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ugh please don’t do Zod again. Do Braniac finally for god’s sake

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The line ain’t Shakespeare or even a prestige cable show level, but it’s fine, it’s sweet and it works

The hyperbole of the tweet is what’s hilarious. This wasn’t a person caught off guard who teared up at a memory of a loss, it’s someone who acted as if professional screenwriters everywhere would have their mind blown at a pretty simple line

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lt. Danger posted:

it's been noted before but Harry Potter is ultimately a children's series with suitably exaggerated mythic elements that relate to the target audience's lives in ways more muted, nuanced and realistic portrayals wouldn't. so: Harry lives in a cupboard under the stairs (he shares a tiny room with his brother in a cramped council house)! Snape is an abusive monster (he's a strict teacher that doesn't comfort and coddle you like your nursery school teacher did)! Dumbledore hides the truth, keeps secrets and acts erratically for no reason (adults' lives are strange and they regularly have conversations you don't understand)! etc etc

also with regard to house elves I think Rowling is specifically parodying "right-on" left-wing student politics of the 80s-90s, in which well-meaning but distant middle-class educated types become very invested in worthy causes regardless of the actual needs or lived experiences of the people they are fighting for. Rowling is I think a fairly standard New Labour liberal, not a Tory in the aristocratic tradition, so "serving classes know their place" probably doesn't apply

which isn't to say she handles any of this particularly deftly or well, of course

Yeah this is good perspective. I read the series as an adult so always figured you need to take a ton of the stuff with a massive grain of salt and assume a lot of the stuff is cartoonishly exaggerated and Harry is a partially unreliable narrator, particularly with the Snape and Slytherin stuff where Snape is openly abusive towards students and all the Slytherins are ugly poo poo heads to a person. Then in the later books when Harry pulls his head out of his rear end and starts to see things more nuanced he ends up realizing Draco was in a lovely position his entire childhood and respects Snape's sacrifice enough to name his son after him (and even then just before these turn-arounds Harry gets obsessed enough with both of them that his friends are like "you seriously need to chill")

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Eh, at this point people might just be doing it for the memes

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If anything Shazam! needed more color for the Seven Deadly Sins which have the Pacific Rim problem of all being granite colored and kind of indistinguishable

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Piell posted:

If something happens like twenty times and I'm already going "I get it, wailing happens when Wonder Woman does anything, move one" on the third time it is a failed bit

I mean again it's not really a "bit" it's a musical accent to accompany WW's actions. Literally every character has them, it's just that hers have the humorous subtitle to describe it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pitwar posted:

There's this really weird thing going on with the Snyder Cut, where if someone mentions something about it they didn't like they are instantly shot down and told they are wrong.

I loved the movie, absolutely loved it. At the same time, I can laugh at the Wonder Woman musical cue being overused, or a dramatic sequence of the team walking up some stairs.

It's ok for people to love it, but it's ok for people to find fault in it and bring that up. Let people have their opinions and discuss those in a normal manner, rather than jumping on to someone who just has a different take.

That long post about why you can't say you found the movie bad is just embarrassing. Why look for a fight about a different of opinion regarding a Justice League movie?

I dunno I can see "try defending the lamentations I loving dare you" being just a tad confrontational

Like if that's "discussing in a normal manner" I feel like the responses have been equally normal

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah, I feel like there's been valid complaints all over the place, although tbf it's hard to track across 3 threads and the CD discord (where we were specifically critiquing the bad "Martha Manhunter" scene just a few minutes ago)

I feel like this instance was a complaint that got push back (from just a single poster initially), which lead to justifications of the complaint and then some discussion around it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Piell posted:

Prepare to be shocked, I skimmed through the Wonder Woman bank fight scene and the Steppenwolf v Amazons fight alone and got to 7

1st time the wailing happens is at 20:13
2nd time at 21:50
3rd time at 23:39
4th time at 25:26
5th time at 29:29
6th time at 31:55
7th time at 35:54

Yeah I mean it's the Wonder Woman/Amazonian motif and those are the scenes that heavily feature those characters

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean if you don't like the motif that's fine but you dared people to defend it and they defended it lmao

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Piell posted:

The defenses have been "you only hate it because twitter", "everyone has motifs, what you hate motifs now?", and "it doesn't happen that often". The first and third are false, the second ignores my actual problem with it in that it plays anytime Wonder Woman or an amazon does basically anything. You can give a character a musical sting without playing it every two minutes, which is what the movie literally does.

Yeah and your initial "argument" was literally "I dare someone to try and defend it" which likewise isn't an actual fleshed out argument. You're getting back what you put in.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Not even at the most pedantic did we delve into the legal mandates of subtitle text.

Yeah like there's been complaints about F&WS, but this is literally the first time I've even seen that it's in a non-standard ratio, the WandaVision ratio change in episode 3 or 4 was lauded, etc.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jimbot posted:

Not at all. Same themes between the two, except the Justice League family hasn't quite gotten together yet like Dom's has.

It does take place over a long day, which they presumably tell Superman about when they see him again

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Keaton should be vaccinated at this point though. I don't know a single person over 65 in CA that hasn't been vaccinated (except for a couple weirdos who think Bill Gates is trying to microchip them)

True but that's a great way to get people to stop asking you nonstop about the loving comic book movie. Poor Ben could have used a line like that when he was getting harassed on the Live by Night press tour

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I think Suicide Squad looks great. I totally get that it won't be for everyone but it is distinctly it's own creature (Gunn taking what he's learned making his the GotG films and applying his love of violent B-movies and crass humor) which is refreshing when a lot of stuff is trying to be everything to all people.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Piell posted:

I know nothing about what was happening with these movies, why is this a slap in the face?

SMg put it extremely succinctly and bitingly, but the narrative that they are pushing through THR is just...bizarre.

So the idea is that this was presumably greenlit after Josstice League (it was announced in 2018) which itself was a failure, but they were trying to salvage what they could at that point while shuffling things around. So then the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut movement happens and they start talking with Zack circa November 2019, leading up to an announcement in May of last year. And then of course they start throwing around terms like "creative cul-de-sac" to describe how ZSJL is definitely a one-off (and we know they are ditching Ray, doing different poo poo with Batman, etc) so now the idea is that 2 weeks after the release of ZSJL they all of a suddenly realize "oh poo poo we can't do Darkseid again so soon", which like, if ZSJL is at all successful it should give more cachet to these characters, and if not, who cares, you get a do-over.

The decision itself is idiotic but they are trying to blame it on a movie that 1) they themselves scrapped and reconfigured, 2) they then made the decision to release it probably in the middle of 2019 (cause there was no way in hell the call to Snyder was on a whim, there had probably been months of discussions the way WB operates), 3) they then assured everyone was a one-off oddity that wouldn't change and of their future plans.

It's petty bullshit, they're punishing POC and trying to blame it on ZSJL as some pathetic misdirect after being dragged in the news for the first quarter of this year.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm perplexed what "trying something new" here would even mean. WB clearly hated Snyder's direction for the universe and spent the last 4 years trying to dismantle it only for people to clamor for more of it. But even then they've had wild successes like Joker and Aquaman that didn't really take much from Snyder (Aquaman clearly took the casting and some mythos while going for a wildly different tone), and less successful movies like Shazam! and WW84 that never-the-less tried for more "color" and fun, and they have an entire stable of characters and properties to try a bunch of stuff with.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I thought the other complaint was James Marters, who expressed similar "my career was threatened and I was bullied by Joss" as Fisher and (by second-hand sources) Gadot.

It seems like the Ray Fisher accusation came out after those posts, but there was a lot of smoke there with several reports and strong rumors and his ex-wife speaking out. You can argue you didn't know enough and were wrong to not accept those signs, but claiming people hated him "because he wasn't grimdark enough" is a...odd defense here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

I mean, but this had already been aired out from Kai Cole's letter:

Imo, that's all you really needed to know to stop and think, "Oh, maybe I shouldn't defend this creep because I like his shows." Lmao.

Yeah, for clarification I definitely don't agree with that stance, it was obvious then (and is even more obvious in hindsight) that he was at the least a loving creep and had stepped over lines. I don't at all agree with the idea that there needs to be hard evidence against people when we all loving know that's how abusers in these situations control the narrative, and that the actors specifically are in a tight spot where speaking out can get them blacklisted (like Ray Fisher is right the gently caress now despite telling the truth about everything and getting actual abusers punished). But still, I understand that this narrative is seductive, it's easier to assume someone you like just had some bad press but there's no smoking gun, you know?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oasx posted:

Ahh yes, if you like Zack Snyder it's because he's a minor god, if you like Marvel it's bootlicking. I care as much about Disney as you do WB, but I do care for the Marvel universe. Whether it's Disney that holds the money I don't really care about.

For the record, I don't think you're being called a bootlicker for liking Marvel, but because regarding the New Gods press release and the Whedon accusations, you seem to have a pattern of parroting corporate press releases/talking points excusing their behavior. Like surprise surprise, WB is trying to sell the idea that their hands are tied after firing two POC directors, in the wake of a scandal where they removed and abused a bunch of other POC actors from their latest superhero movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Perhaps a hamster posted:

What a pity it'll never get made now, but hey, at least that 'sitting on a lasso' gag came to good use!

Lmfao Christ what a hack

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

That trailer feels like someone was trying to get ahead of the "slow" complaints that will happen during character building moments. Just showing disjointed action reminiscent of better things so people might sit and look for other references.

See having read the comic the amount of stuff they showed seems to indicate (spoilers for the comic) that they are going to drag poo poo way the gently caress out, since IIRC by the 3rd issue of the comic Superdad and Supermom are dead as hell. Unless they are just dumping a bunch from the first 2 or 3 episodes and we will still see that twist halfway-ish through the first season

Also when I think of Jupiter's Legacy I can't help but think about Millar's critique of Man of Steel that only came to light years later when he was trying to sell another comic series as a response to MoS's nihilism. Anyway, he said MoS "traumatized" him, which I find suspicious since Jupiter's Legacy #3 released 2 months after Man of Steel features (again, comics spoilers) some children betraying and brutally murdering their parents who are basically Superman and his equally nice wife, including a particular gratuitous and over-the-top murder of Supermom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like there's a Good Mark Millar and a Bad Mark Millar but even Good Mark Millar's stuff is like... B+ at best and comprises at most 1/3 of his work so it's maybe not worth sifting through Bad Mark Millar.

Yeah agreed. I checked out JL (heh, just got this) for the Frank Quietly art and left with a bad Millar aftertaste in my mouth.