Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm definitely watching Attack on Titan, Yuru Camp and Promised Neverland.

I'm going to give Dr Stone, Slime Isekai, Log Horizon and I'm a Spider a shot which I'm just realising are all isekai which is a funny co-incidence. The first 3 were all shows I was very invested in that just ran out of steam or dropped in quality so we'll have to see if they can bring it back. This is a packed season for sure. If anything else comes out of nowhere to be really good like Akudama Drive last season I'm not sure I'll be able to get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you only saw a few episodes of Dr Stone, hang in there til they get to the Village. That's when the show starts in earnest.

Oh I got to the end of the first season, it's just that the animation got reeeeal bad and they never got back to the same level as the lightbulb moment or the first few things they create. The worst parts were all the stuff focusing on the war which is why I'm iffy on the new season being all about the war.

The same thing happened with Log Horizon and Slime. They both started out great and then just got worse towards the end of the previous seasons. I'm giving them a shot though.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 4, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dude, they're literally kept in ghetto's and forced to wear star of david armbands. It's pretty blatant that the Eldians are the Jews and the whole thing is a holocaust metaphor.

The show is extremely anti-war, there is zero chance it's secretly about how war crimes are pretty rad, actually. The upcoming episode will make it pretty clear that's not what it's about.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

no seriously why do the specifics of the plot matter

maybe hes changed his opinions in the past decade but if you wanna say the attack on titan guy is a fascist just point to the part where he says he respects a colonizer

A lot of people respect historical figures who it turns out did lovely things. A lot of historical figures did do lovely things that gets glossed over, especially when he was a member of your countries military. That doesn't make people who admire aspects of them or are ignorant of the magnitude of their shittiness secretly fascists.

Saying that we should just ignore that the guy is currently writing a virulently anti-fascist and anti-war manga because of a decade old blog post is a pretty flawed take tbh.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Srice posted:

The general in question also had a biopic about him awhile back that was fairly well received iirc so it kinda reminds me about how a lot of Americans of a certain age admire Patton even though there's many reasons not to!

As a Brit there's a whole lot of Churchill worship I grew up with and it's only been in the last 4 years or so that I've become aware of how much of a festering cockend he was. If you asked me 10 years ago who the best PM ever was I'd have said him because no-one ever mentions those parts, only the convenient patriotic stuff.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 7, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Well, Promised Neverland is still tense as hell.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Davincie posted:

As an example: the ressentiment mc was a disgusting and pathetic man, and yet it is very well regarded (winning among multiple prizes, including one for best feminist work), i have no real interest in the isekai nor in learning more of it and am obviously just using it as a soapbox. But to say someone must be good, pleasant or redeemed to have a story worth following is a depressing idea

I think there's a difference between Walter White and having an actual pedophile for a MC.

It's actually pretty frustrating that (all the visible) light novels/isekai always have to have at least one aspect of them that's just gross and embarrassing. I know they're largely aiming at the lowest common denominator but they always seem to have some disgusting fetish or war crime/slavery poo poo when it's just completely unnecessary.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 11, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

dogsicle posted:

the guy made an off color otaku joke in his head and was part of a pantyshot gag in the same episode where he died saving some teens from getting run over

i feel like the level of trash he is at this point is being a bit overstated lol

Someone posted spoilers that he does not get better and apparently marries the loli, who doesn't get aged up.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 11, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think Iruru is a pretty gross character in the manga but judging by her height next to Torhu in that picture maybe they've aged her up a bit for the anime so it's not quite so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

When are they doing s3 of mob...plz...I need it

I'm not sure if there's enough content left for a season 3. I know some of the chapters are long but there's not many of them left. Maybe there's enough to just do 10 episodes.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 24, 2021