Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The bentos are still hilarious to me. Tame monster girls...WITH LUNCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Black Pants posted:

EE is still floating around as Project E (and maybe EE3?) though isn't really thought about much anymore as much more interesting ways of getting everything have come about. Millenaire's still around, but there's also a mod called Minecolonies that lets you manage and grow your own town by recruiting villagers, telling them where to build things and how, etc, it's basically a game of its own inside the game.

ProjectE is still my favorite way of managing all the different kinds of building materials I use and nerds can pry it from my cold dead hands :argh:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, honestly sometimes I wish there was a projecte light version that keeps the exchanging and remembering what you've picked up before part. But then you get into all of the cosmetic metal and quartz variations and bleh seems like it'll basically be project e again

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What are the tech mods with miners? I've usually used the digital miner from mekanism but maybe I should branch out

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I get the feeling if I ever want to see aesthetically pleasing generators I'm gonna have to mod them in myself and I have no idea how to do that :smith:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

As an internet drama fiend can someone summarize the drama? :sparkles:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

As a huge fan of projectE I say put it in everything!! I rarely ever use it for anything more than the transmutation table and the flying ring anyway. Maybe a condenser and a Klein star to power the ring?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is the curse website + multimc still the way to go?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I could have sworn I asked this before but I can't seem to find it again, but I'm feeling that modded Minecraft itch again and one of the things I really like is the mekanism digiminer. Thing is I'm getting kind of bored of mekanism and I don't really use it for anything other than the digiminer the last few times I've played, is there another mod out there with a similar auto mining thing that doesn't just dig a bigass hole? It doesn't need to be as configurable but I do prefer something that won't turn or require the surrounding area to look terrible

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone know of any good 1.16 mods that add some simple cables for moving stuff around? Xnet is good and all but I'm not a huge fan of needing to set up a controller/power/etc just to move stuff from point a to b

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh lovely. Trying to run a LAN server so I can play with my girlfriend and we're getting mysterious netty errors that are apparently super rare so there's barely anything about it on the internet yaay

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is tekkit still goon run?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bhodi posted:

It's just a really big searchable box that when it gets full you just add more drives. That's pretty much it. Run that ME conduit in the same block as your power and spread it across your base and you'll always have access to all the materials in the network. Attach them to ME devices to pull out or put items in.

Interfaces are just small chests that you request what and how many of an item in them (the top row), and digital items are de-digitized and placed in the inventory on the bottom row to match your request. Anything that goes in is digitized and conduits/machines can pull out anything in the bottom row (but not your wider stockpile). You stick them next to machines with the materials that machine needs (pull them in with a conveyor or arm machine cover)

Import/Export busses digitize or extract items directly and can be adjusted by cards to speed it up or turn it on/off by redstone signal. Import busses auto-pull from the inventory of whatever it's attached to, export busses auto-push the single item type that you put in the box.

ME Level Emitters make redstone signals based on how many items you've got digitized so you can use them to turn on/off machines with a machine controller cover or input/export busses.

Autocrafting is a little more complex and tbh isn't explained nearly at all in this pack so you probably want to watch a video on it, but basically you select a recipe in JEI and shift-click the +, make the pattern, and then you can request it "build" the item. So you make a pattern for Log -> Plank, and a pattern for plank -> stick, and a pattern for stick -> coal, and the thing will make torches on request (you can stick a torch in your export bus with a crafting card and it will automatically craft and export it even if all you have is logs and coal in your ME system)

If people want to be entirely spoiled on omnifactory, I recommend this series by someone who basically speed ran it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPDYxInF_WEXLpKvDl6v64hobqOqLRqKh, if you're running into issues or aren't sure how to approach a particular challenge.

There's also some tips i learned in there, like getting creative flight with the glitch armor very, very early in the pack.

Actually, one thing I sometimes struggle with AE is that I usually use it for storing all the annoying small stacks of random stuff, so the type limit fills up way faster than the actual capacity limit. Higher tier drives have more capacity but same number of types, what am I supposed to do here?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Is there a goon consensus on the best visual/performance rather than functionality mods? I am getting the sense that it's Iris + Indium + Sodium + Lithium + (Phosphor OR Starlight), but I can't find anything other than year old Reddit posts about it.

I tried out Sodium + Lithium + Phosphor and it ran fantastically, but I'd like to get Patrix and SEUS PTGI in too...

idk if you've done it already but for me the most dramatic improvement has been switching the java virtual machine as described here: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/as6p87/java_vms_and_you_how_to_reduce_your_ram_and_cpu/

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, I tend to msotly build my own janky modpacks to play with so I'm not sure if there's some critical compatibility issues with something, but it has seriously actually really sped up my games. With around 6GB of ram dedicated to Minecraft 1.16 I went from stuttery, laggy maps where it was nearly impossible to do anything to buttery smooth performance after I switched. It's real I tell you!!! It's real!!!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Would journeymap waypoints work for that? You'd have to manually hide the waypoints so your screen isn't covered in them if you have enough points though lol

Edit: ah wait I misread and thought you meant map as in world and not map as in the ingame item :doh:

Xun fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 19, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

there are so many expert mode packs. i want an easy mode pack. i want a full stack of diamonds on day 2

actually now that i think about it, this was just big dig from technic

It's called project e and you can pry that mod from my cold dead hands

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Echophonic posted:

Wish I would have known Ars Nouveau was so cool and useful. I spent a fuckload of time on the stylish, yet incredibly inflexible Mana and Artifice. The entire rote system just means you have to spend a ton of time making and spamming spells. Ars Nouveau? you just make a glyph once and you're good to go to mix and match. M&A has some cool stuff like block animation, but it's just terrible besides being cute.

We've had an Elementalcraft farming setup for our Mystical Agriculture plants for ages, but it kinda sucked and was very reliant on not stressing the element source too much. I replaced it with an incredibly cheap Bookwyrm, powered by the drat plants it's harvesting via a source collector that uses growth ticks. Works a thousand times better and all it took was some mid-tier materials for the crafting setup.

Mana and Artifices Lodestar programming for golems seems like it could be a cool system, but golems are somehow more finicky than Thaumcraft's. Also they don't work on Mystical Agriculture crops, which seems like a major oversight.

And how could you not love this boy:

I've been wanting to try out Ars Nouveau when I have the time, is the ingame guide good enough to get you through the mod?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Has the thermal...series added the pipes back yet?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

!!!! loving finally, itemducts are still my favorite pipes (outside of enderIO ones) because sometimes i just want to move things from point a to point b without fancy graphics or having to set up and power a controller or install a mod just for pipes that are annoying and never seem to work quite right anyway

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Are there any mods that add distributed powercells like flux networks or the RFtools cells with wireless cards for 1.18?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Maguoob posted:

Dumb question, but isn't RFTools already updated for 1.18? Though I haven't messed with it, so maybe powercells aren't working yet. Mekanism has the quantum things that can all be set to the same RF network.

Hm my impression from the description of the rftools power mod is that it does not contain the power cells I'm looking for and only has some new multiblock thing. I'll check out mekanism though

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Gears!! How do they work :psyduck:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone playing modded 1.18 minecraft? Just set up a server and for some reason sleeping isn't working, we keep getting the "you can only sleep at night or during thunderstorms" even when it is nighttime. This persists through server restarts and I'm at a loss of what could cause that. I've got a random grabbag of mods, heres a pastebin if anyone wants to look: https://pastebin.com/m3wKjEt9

Xun fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 15, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What modpack are you using? I setup an All The Mods 7 server today (on the oracle cloud setup posted earlier) and even managed to migrate my vanilla start/world into it no problem. Sleeping has not caused any issues on my end outside of the blood moon nights where you can't sleep through.

No modpacks, just a random assortment. Most of them are decorative or pretty well known (Botania, mekanism, occultism, magical agriculture, etc) and I can't think of anything obvious that might affect it. I added a pastebin of the mods I'm using to the original post :v:

Xun fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 15, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Is it possibly a server setting issue? Is it also a problem in a single player map?

Huh...theres seems to be something extremely wrong with my time. It stays daytime when I use /time set midnight and /gamerule doDaylightCycle does nothing :shrug:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Lol I tried adding tinkers to my frankenpack and it immediately crashes on startup. Nice to hear that thermal is updated though!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Let me tell you about my frankenpa--

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Welp I think I broke my server. Tried to update ATM7 to the latest but the update itself broke everything. As far as I can tell, ATM7 uses cursemeta in its script to grab stuff off curse and as of a day or two ago cursemeta is dead so the install script just spits out a bunch of errors and I can't see any other way to actually boot the server by rolling back to my previous files.

Bit of a reach, but has anyone run into this? Or is the issue on my end? I'm grabbing the server files straight from curseforge but the server install script is just riddled with errors now.

EDIT: ok yeah cursemeta is super dead and i guess this is all because of curseforge fuckery. May have to rethink my mods and just go another route

Yeah the curse fuckery is really annoying. I switched to PolyMC (a fork of multiMC) and it seems to still be able to download stuff off curse. Not sure about a server install, but I assume any custom scripts and stuff stay the same so I guess you can install the latest client pack using the launcher and then cross-check and manually update any server specific mods

EDIT: well it seems like between literally last night and today this has also broken lol

Xun fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 21, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh gdi the ars nouveau grow spell doesnt work on mystical agriculture crops at all :argh:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Danaru posted:

Making my own personal use pack in multimc has been a lot of fun, honestly the toughest part is trying to figure out what I've been taking for granted, and how much has changed since 1.12.

Thermal foundation changed a lot for good and for maybe not so good. I really like being able to hot swap my upgrades between equipment, but also now I can't use the fluid transposer to turn exp into liquid exp and I can't remember if Thermal did that natively before or if it was an add-on that never got ported to 1.18 :saddumb: also I love the new Tinker's Construct but I can't melt down redstone anymore. It's a misadventure of half remembered mod names and projects that have been abandoned for years

I think Thermal Foundation still hasnt ported over itemducts from 1.12 :(

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Danaru posted:

Nope :( Their in-game book thing says they're not going to, and suggests a different mod I forget the name of that acts pretty similar, same with portable tanks. Still a bit of a bummer but I don't blame them for wanting to prune their scope a bit

Which mod do they cite for pipes? I just miss some simple pipes for when I want to move stuff from point a to point b that I can hide behind covers

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Comedy option: project e :v:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

CommunityEdition posted:

There must be someone who really likes project e, or there wouldn’t be so many mod packs with faqs saying why they won’t include it

It's me, I'm the crazy who really likes project e! But as Khorne mentioned, I use it for more cosmetic stuff and tbh I don't usually bother going deep into automation and such whenever I play minecraft. I actually rarely ever get to a point where projecte makes things creative mode because setting up the systems is :effort: Spending hours trying to get one house to look nice though...

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

If you want to do things a bit more automatically you could walk your friends through setting up an instance in curse (or some other launcher) and then throw a zip file with all the mods in it at them so they don't need to manually find and click on all the mods.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I decided to bite the bullet and just make my own pack of mods. Is there an easy guide somewhere to doing this, and will I have to talk all my friends into downloading a launcher, or is it possible to just send everyone a .rar with all the mods they need and use the default minecraft launcher?

So the steps here would be something like:

1. Get an instance manager (overwolf, gdlauncher, multimc, polymc, etc)
2. Learn to set up an instance of minecraft with a specific forge version. This should be super easy in all managers and you should be fine with just picking the recommended versions to start with. This will create an instance folder that stores all your minecraft saves and various other stuff, including a mod folder.
3. Go hog wild downloading mods and put them in the mod folder.
4. Once you're happy, try to actually start the drat thing. You will probably run into a few errors here, usually version conflicts or missing dependencies. You will rarely get an error for an incompatible forge version, luckily it is pretty easy to switch with most instance managers I've used.
5. Pack up all the mod files into a .zip or .rar or whatever.
6. Walk your friends through step 1 and 2 and throw the rar file at them to unzip into the mod folder. You can also give them the installer for the right forge version and skip the instance manager entirely. I would still recommend using one for setting up a modpack in case of version conflict errors and figuring out which mods are causing problems.

I haven't tried fabric yet, but I assume the steps should be basically identical.

Impermanent posted:

are there any good resources on there on putting modpacks together and editing recipes to work together seamlessly? I keep finding packs that almost have everything I want in them, and I'd like to just start putting something together that I like rather than make do.

I believe the modern way to do this is kubejs and it's tutorials. You can write scripts that adds and removes custom recipes as well as add tags to stuff (really good for chisel and bits!!). There's also a script floating around on reddit for unifying ores, it won't stop 4 variations of copper spawning but it'll at least make them all drop as the same thing. FWIW I exclusively play custom modpacks and needing to fix recipes is actually pretty rare. There is also this one that will give you an option to choose what you craft if two things have the same recipe.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/polymorph

Xun fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 15, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I mean, once the initial setup is done it should be easy to hand out a new .rar file when you want to make a change. Hell sometimes I just send a .jar file directly through discord :v: Although I don't usually play with more than 3-4 people so ymmv.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I tried this pack (on single player for a bit) on the Steam Deck and holy crap once it gets past the “load everything around you” it runs and look great! I may have to jump in and check the world out.

You can play Minecraft on the steam deck?!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Ender IO Limited Filter. It makes sure whatever it's connected to always has the exact amount of the items you tell it.

AE2 and GT both have options although the robot arms are a bit more limited use.

Man I miss enderIO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

mechaet posted:

At any rate, I've created a 1.18.2 modpack to dip my toes back in to the process, and fired up a server for it once my release is Approved by the moderators at curseforge (which I'll post about over in PGS). It's pretty streamlined, only 95 mods, primarily tech-focused but has some fun stuff like infernal mobs and twilight forest and... ProjectE.

:getin: