Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Black Pants posted:

For anyone who's worked with ModTweaker/CraftTweaker, this is the kind of syntax KubeJS has:
Do they accept a different null character? One that is not space.

Whether they do or not, it seems like a modern way to interact with recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Happy Hedonist posted:

Does anyone have any experience with playing modded minecraft with a controller? I know that sounds dumb but I can’t sit in an office chair and play games atm due to a medical thing and I miss modded minecraft. With all of the hotkeys I know it’d be difficult, but a mod that let me bind to a controller would work. I’m gonna need a keyboard in front of me for some stuff, but it should be possible?
Not sure which medical thing, but you can use a mouse+keyboard while laying in bed as long as you put a mousepad down on the bed to use the mouse on. Mouse under covers, keyboard/laptop on top. Not practical depending on setup but comfortably possible for non-competitive games.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 9, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Qubee posted:

Finally got Refined Storage up and running and this computer makes life so much easier. It's not a chore anymore to craft stuff, I wish I'd made it sooner.
Me, every single playthrough ever.

Although with tinkers crafting bench and the mods that give you reasonable hotkeys to interface with your inventory/chests it's not that bad without it. That all seems missing from 1.15/1.16 though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I mostly do in the side of a hill/underground/in a pre-generated structure to start. Especially now with phantoms. Pre-phantoms building above the ocean or some tiles above a clear field and then jumping a gap to get in were great because you never had to deal with mobs.

In newer versions (1.15+ for sure) you can do your base above bedrock in the nether with 100% consistency using just one ender pearl, but quite a few modded things don't work right up there. It's mob free and cleared for you. Also allows really fast travel to anywhere in the world.

Putting your entire base in compact machines is cool too, but by the time you can access them you have infinite everything so it's kinda hard to justify moving.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 21, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Truga posted:

i'm just waiting for raytrace custom shaders to come out of patreon early access hell because even as a vanilla enjoyer lmao @ bedrock edition
You know all those cool mechanics that make vanilla minecraft good? We don't have them here in Bedrock.

But bedrock does have insanely good performance compared to vanilla. Just wish they'd go back and implement lots of behaviors that exist in java mc.

e: to be fair to bedrock, there are a few cool mechanics that only exist in bedrock. Just not the same amount.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 7, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Am i the only one who hates magic mods?
I've never really got into them. They feel almost parasitic a lot of the time. Like, hey do this random minigame/whatever and throw your resources into this mod but don't get all that much out of it except in the context of the mod. I mean every magic mod has the one thing that's mildly useful in normal gameplay, but why would I want to invest a ton of resources -- including my limited playtime -- into that one thing when I could use my resources for literally anything else that's better integrated with the rest of the game. It doesn't help that combat in minecraft doesn't loan itself to magic.

If you offer me a non-magic way to do things it's almost always more organic to reach and use in the context of the game & other mods. If you want to get started in a magic mod you are starting from a weaker place than where you're at progression wise, and if you start with magic you aren't progressing in the other aspects of the game. That's why I described most of them as having parasitic design. They only really try to bait you in with the one killer feature other mods don't offer that lets you do some other thing easier (blood magic, astral sorcery in particular do this. some other magic mods did this with move speed boosts early game.)

I'm also making this post largely hoping someone tells me why I am wrong about magic mods. I mean I get why the people who like them like them. Some of them have reasonably fun gameplay loops and are self contained games with cool boss battles, aesthetics, etc. The self contained part is why I tend to avoid them. Although I have done each major magic mod once except astral sorcery which I keep meaning to do but always end up doing other stuff instead. It doesn't help that rf tools covers most of the astral sorcery features that are really useful outside of astral sorcery.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 13, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mycroft Holmes posted:

is there a point to doing Forestry in GTNH?
If they let you do charcoal pits those are always insane early game. Unless they got nerfed.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
tfw you don't have enough time to play modded minecraft and a bunch of other cool games you want to play :(

Khorne
May 1, 2002

death cob for cutie posted:

Does anyone have any good reading on creating Minecraft mods? I'm a reasonable programmer in Python but the entire Java ecosystem and all the build bullshit and etc. isn't helping. There's a link in the OP to some guides on the topic, but they're all video tutorials, which I think are kind of bullshit for learning tech stuff. I've found this guy's stuff, which reads as OK for now, but alternatives are always useful.
https://wiki.mcjty.eu/modding/index.php?title=Main_Page

McJty's tutorial always seemed decent to me. There's a companion github repo, too.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

uniball posted:

tmux if you’re lazy, systemd if you want to be a big nerd
If you're really lazy you'd just

nohup minecraftservercommandhere &

but systemd is even lazier longterm than the other solutions and there are service files you can copy paste for minecraft all over google search results.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

so multimc no longer loads curseforge modpacks, which sucks but makes sense. but it also can't import from zip anymore either??? is there any way to get modpacks without having to install their stupid WoW launcher poo poo. i know of modrinth but all of their packs are vanilla lite.

:rip: dead game?????????????????????????????????????????????????? :rip:
Is there something wrong with gdlauncher? I stopped using multimc when they cried over the mc 1.whatever updates and refused to support it.

e: I see this is curseforge and mod authors attacking the community again. Technically you can patch any existing mod loader to still work with a few lines of code edits.

The situation is mod authors can tick "disable 3rd party access" or something similar. Their mod will then be inaccessible by the API. This is causing all kinds of packs to break, and of course it's mods used everywhere like pam's, clothing api, silent core, etc that have done this. Ideally the community would boycott these mods and pull them from packs, but I don't see this happening.

A number of things patched to do a workaround, polymc's is here and shows how easy it is. PolyMc was contacted by OW/curseforge and reverted here. Even though they're accessing a publicly accessible url, they're trying to argue it breaches their terms of service.

Ferium (cli modpack manager) and ATLauncher will show urls to go manually download mods, but this is super annoying too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 31, 2022

Khorne
May 1, 2002

CommunityEdition posted:

There must be someone who really likes project e, or there wouldn’t be so many mod packs with faqs saying why they won’t include it
Project E is cool one time only. It warps the entire game around "build some matter duplication thing for Project E" and inevitably it's something stupid like clay or coal.

The other time it's cool is when you can use it for cosmetic/building blocks or some other highly limited list of things in a well thought out pack. It can work as an endgame tool kinda if it takes insane stuff to make and you can only use it for certain ultra endgame blocks or something.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 7, 2022

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Xun posted:

You can play Minecraft on the steam deck?!
Steam deck runs linux. Java minecraft runs better on linux than windows.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Impermanent posted:

Wow they just go ahead and give you a door in a quest a few hours in to gtnh. "Masochistic pack" my foot. You get free cotton seeds from tilling the soil!
Back in my day we had to chop a tree, repair the tool three times, and in the end we only got a single stick! That's the gregtech I know!

GTNH has a lot of scope but is also not masochism. It's... pretty good at achieving the initial vision of GregTech without resorting to the masochism gregtech introduced to achieve that vision.

If you want to finish the pack in a night or three and build all the cool stuff then go play something else. If you want a pack that will last a long while and have you figuring out various solutions at various tech levels then it's legit. It's more for people who get annoyed with the lack of continuity/progression/"meaning" in most normal modpacks than it is for people who hate themselves.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SugarAddict posted:

My guess is they're switching from java because they don't want to touch the poo that is whatever new licensing that oracle is coming up with, and it probably makes it easier for cross platform gameplay and such.
Java & C# have super easy cross platform. C++ cross platform takes actual work.

It seems like a very superficial reason or a bad business decision. If you've been developing a game for many years in one language you probably don't want to port it to another.

If they're doing a full rewrite it would make sense. Not sure they'd publicly announce a full rewrite.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 6, 2022

Khorne
May 1, 2002

tokin opposition posted:

Pretty sure anyone old enough to still be posting in a Minecraft thread on SA bought the game in alpha
My first MC experience was on an ftb ultimate server. I didn't realize it was a good game I wanted to play until 2013 or so. 1.5.2 was already out maybe even 1.6.4.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How fussy are Mekanism gas machines these days? I am trying to set up that chain of gasses for the fission reactor and nothing is going to anything. According to the Mekanism Wiki, stuff like the chemical infuser have very specific sides and they can't be reconfigured. I haven't been able to extract from any side of a rotary condensentrator. I was setting up a Mekanism centipede with machines going rear end to face but it looks like they can't be arranged that way at all.

Also: What happened with wrenches? I have to carry around, like, five different ones to do anything now.

The wiki is for 1.7.x or 1.6.x or something and severely out of date. You can configure all the sides through the UI. They aren't picky at all. Generally, if it won't connect it's because you're using the wrong state of the fluid/gas.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hmm then it could have been decaying quicker than I was producing it then. I can't actually discount that.
I always handled waste by just making a lot of ultimate pipes and dragging them down as far as they would go. It was practically infinite storage vs the dumb drums that filled almost instantly in the version I played. They also didn't emit radiation.

Not sure if that still works in the latest version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

GTNH has a LOT of forked, modified versions of mods (since 1.7.10 is largely abandonware.) In order to reconcile this, the pack has to have a secondary downloader pull down the changed mods. This process is fragile and Curseforge will randomly screw it up by overwriting mods, so it's unreliable.
GTNH has managed to port their 1.7.10 pack to the latest JRE. That's how custom things are. They also backport all kinds of newer features to 1.7.10 mods.