Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
OP: Please put GD Launcher alongside Curseforge for people like me who are hopelessly spoiled about having someone else do the work of making configs and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I just learned that in GTNH, that each individual block in a Railcraft boiler is emitting pollution. :haw:

(It's a bug and it's getting fixed)

So after the fix, all the pollution is emitted by the controller block to save on TPS, and the pollution is multiplied by 35 or however many blocks it is?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That'd be funny, but probably not.

I lurk in their development chat room, and they had a big slapfight over pollution today. (Not related to the RC boiler thing.) Supposedly the design goal of pollution is to punish multiplayer server players for spamming tons of laggy low-tier poo poo instead of teching up. It's a very new mechanic.

Solution: highlander boilers. There can be only one.

To assemble a boiler multi-block, you must first find and destroy all other extant boilers in the world.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

I found out that the version of tinkers construct in GTNH has decreasing returns on repairs. Every repair reduces further repairs by 1%, up to 50% at 50 repairs. What the gently caress.

Fixed Bug: Repair effectiveness was going from 100% to 50%, instead of 50% to 0% as intended

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Qubee posted:

Anyone got advice on how to branch out into other mods in the All The Mods 6 pack? For example, when I feel finished with MineColonies, how do I find another mod within the pack that clicks with me. The only solution I can think of is to trawl through the mod list and click each one to see what it adds / does, but there's an absolute metric fucktonne of them and that alone will take ages.

I would check out this guy doing a play through of it - I think this is a link to the full play list, and they have helpful titles. So you could check out ones that sound interesting to you, look at the video for the gameplay a bit, and find a new mod to explore that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_PR_HOlkok

Edit: that did not work. But you can go to his channel, and then find the playlist there

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClmdJ2bwqHjZONP9rIK7geA

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Faldoncow posted:

Anyone have any tips for supplying 3 machines with 6 items each, where they share some items used in common and I'd like them to all be on the same 'line' (EnderIO Item Conduits, etc.). This is in GTNH, pre AE2 of course, and right now I'm thinking Project red stock keepers seem to be the best choice...but I keep wishing I could just use EnderIO to do it. This is for circuit assemblers.

Do the EnderIO item conduits have filters enabled? Should work a treat.

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Basic_Item_Filter

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The only negative I see here is if the randomise_seed flag is set to false, which means everyone sees the same loot in each chest, which means one person finds a chest full of diamonds, then they can advertise "hey this chest has 28 diamonds in it" that each new player gets to dupe, which is kinda lovely gameplay.

Of course, the solution to that is to set that flag to true.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eox posted:

Or put some players on the blighting team

Dynamite is the best blighting tool

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I built a 2x2x2 railcraft solid fuel boiler but it won't form. Any ideas?

Try just one layer of fireboxes?

https://feed-the-beast.fandom.com/wiki/Steam_Boiler

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

Two things: make sure every output face is set to insert-- by default it's extract. Secondly make sure everything is the right channel color.

Also apparently round robin mode defeats priorities, so try turning that off

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
edit: wrong thread

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

dragonshardz posted:

ngl i have long wanted an "endgame" mod where all you do is insert increasingly absurd amounts of RF or whatever resource to make a scoreboard go up.

Integer overflow: the game

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I'm trying to recall the name of a modpack from a couple years ago at least. I think it was on 1.12, maybe earlier.

It was a magic/tech mix, world generation was done with something like HexLands so the biomes were medium-ish hexagons. Early tools and armor was based around Silent Gems, there was crazy weather mods, and mob difficulty cranked up over time from what I recall.

I want to say the name was something related to Chaos or Dragons

Fake Edit: it was Chaotic Progression, I'll leave this here

Edit:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think sky factory 4 has you crafting resource trees that you put in hopper pots, basically giving you a scalable constant automatic trickle of resource once you're up and running

Yeah - I liked the Sky Factory packs a lot. SF4 with trees was probably my least favorite. SF 2 was real chill. Stoneblock was basically Sky Factory but underground, if you'd rather mine out your gravel. I liked the gimmick of digging up/down to the ceiling/floor of the box to get to other zones.

Devor fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 20, 2022

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Impermanent posted:

The way the truth and the light is to use me level emitters to turn on/off single purpose dedicated machines

Skip the emitters and increase production until all processing machines are constantly running, in true idle spirit

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

Not quite ready to change my power. soon though.

Is there any reason why i cant access all my Draws using AE2?

Ive tried a storage bus on the controller as well as import and export bus's. nothing gives me access via the terminal. Its been a while since i used this. am i better off just making 20 drives and 200 1k storage cells?

Storage Bus on the controller, with high priority, should work for standard AE2 integration. If it's not higher priority than your drives that might be your issue

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

A few thousand in a minute, for a few million? That's 1000 minutes(assuming a few = a few), only 17 hours.

But that same setup for a guy playing 2 hours a day means that instead of coming back the next day, you're coming back in a week to do the last craft

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rynoto posted:

If you're at endgame point just queue up a bunch more machines. Every problem can be solved by throwing more production at it.

Isn't that the point of this discussion? That you have very different machine needs when you're a daily player who isn't sweaty enough to leave the computer on overnight. You'll tend to crank every blocking production up to 11, compared to someone playing on an always-up server, because you have essentially 10 times less passive income.

Edit: and that's annoying to need to do, I left unsaid

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

dragonshardz posted:

GDLauncher works fine, just make sure you're using the latest version.

And to be clear - the back end that serves up all the mod downloads had a sea change a month or two back that required all the third parties to rethink how they download mods

Updates usually don't break the launcher

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've just started playing All The Magic: Spellbound and I'm wanting to find a way to easily and reliably teleport as early as possible. What are my best options? Preferably something that doesn't require "refueling" with resources that are a pain in the rear end to farm.

Ultimately, I'd like something similar to the teleportation in Draconic Evolution, where you can essentially set a teleport location whenever and wherever you like, then teleport to it from anywhere. I'm not a big fan of having to use physical apparatus for both "ends" of the teleport if possible.

Comedy JourneyMap option

You could throw away a diamond or something when you use it

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been super busy this week and haven't had time to do much in the way of fixing things, and only have a little bit right now to fiddle with it.

yeah, trying to open the nether map via mca selector resulted in it not actually showing the corrupted chunks I spawned in.

I tried loading the game up without YUNG'S mods active in curse and it loaded, eventually. even managed to get into the nether and click that link!(it goes here) but there's another problem: the map is approaching a gig in size, it's currently 848mb. I think that might be what's choking everything to death. Is there any way to reduce the file size significantly, in the hopes it runs even a little more smoothly? do bedrock maps get supermassive filesizes like this, or is it a java problem?

Do you mean the map from your mods, or the world file? If it's your map mod, I would toss it and use regular journeymap or something else

Do you have something that is auto-generating chunks? If there's a default setting you missed it could be doing an unreasonable amount of auto-generation, which will wreak havoc while it's going on, and inflate the size of your world file, but once it reaches the boundaries of what it's generating it should calm down

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Echophonic posted:

He did a while back after the cutover, I think it's something to do with their DDOS protection, he's getting stuck in a "checking your connection" loop.

Yeah I updated GDLauncher and did the automatic separate downloads a while back, then something changed and Curseforge was giving me that error, and I went back to the Curseforge client

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, we're using a handful of smaller storage drawer networks, but the most complicated I/O one is self-contained and the main network only pulls from it. It does have a lot of EMC Condensers feeding drawers, which could probably be replaced with EMC Links.

The issue I'm having is that the server seems fine if someone's on it, but once they log off, it just falls over. Nothing's above 150 us/t, and the worst of that is the giant Create crafters. So yeah, it being a Refined Storage receiver connected to a drawer controller might be the issue, I think we have like 5 receivers set up now for either subnetworks of drawers or for crafter export. Doesn't seem insane, but some desync could send it spiraling.

When you say that it only pulls from it - that means that it needs to be able to see it, which means that it might be your issue.

A network needs to "know" what it has inside, so if the network can pull an item out of a drawer network, it necessarily needs to access information about the network in realtime, which means that it has to poll that whole network.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

I haven't played modded since PolyMC (I think?) was revealed to be run by a transphobe overreaching their data access, what launcher are people on now? I was midway through a pack and not sure if it could be transferred.

CurseForge is the current hotness, but has its own overreaching data access concerns. They've mostly made it a pain in the rear end enough that most people put up with it. Some third party apps (e.g. GDLauncher) have adjusted their CurseForge links to mostly keep functionality working, but it has become more hack-ish and less streamlined for integration.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

Oh wait, you're expected to just bail? I just realized, that still gives you xp right? Because I've just been dying, getting no xp, and wondering how I'm supposed to be progressing.

Yes, bail for exp until you get a handle on the modpack. I don't think I completed a vault in my first 15 vaults.

Also of note: while running your raw vaults you still have a chance of getting the special room that has chromatic iron ore filling the room. I didn't even try to clear it and I got a couple stacks. So the best strat when you're in raw vaults looking for chromatic is just to run around looking for that special room and other low-hanging fruit.

And realistically all you need is 3-4 ingots to get you out of raw vaults - as folks mentioned, a non-raw vault will almost certainly be giving you more than one chromatic iron.

And even better advice if you're casual is just to cheat in some of the stuff that you'd be getting out of the raw vaults. It's fun to have the extra step of bootstrapping yourself into diamond stuff in the raw vaults instead of the overworld, but at some point you're ready to engage with the real modpack.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

In a non-skyblock setting, do you also get vault crystals out of vaults themselves?

E: Admittedly I didn't realize I was in a "raw vault" or that it was distinct from regular vaults.

Two important resources to run a vault:

Vaultstone - When broken, makes Vault Cobblestone, and sometimes gives you a Chipped Vaultstone. Vaultstone varieties are used to make the portal.
Chromatic Iron - Acts like iron ore

Skyvault starts you with a portal, and a "Budding Crystal" which will slowly grow Small -> Med -> Large -> Crystal buds. When it's at the stage past large, you can break it with your hand to get a Raw Crystal of your current vault level.

To get your Vaultstone in a Raw Vault, there are rooms which have grass and a small cave with vanilla ores underneath which will have veins of vaultstone. There are also quarry rooms which have enemy spawners, and more vanilla ores and some vaultstone veins. There is also the rare Chromatic Iron room which just has tons of it.

To get your Chromatic Iron in a Raw Vault, I think you were mostly supposed to collect Chromatic Iron Nuggets from the metal-styled chests (each chest type has a different loot table) until you have three ingots. Again, you can just get this from the Chromatic Iron room if you find one.

Use two Chromatic Iron ingots to make a Vault Altar. Use one ingot and 4 chipped vaultstone to make a Vault Crystal. Put the Vault Crystal into your Vault Altar, then the Altar will ask you for 4 items - drop the items on the altar, the items turn green. When they're all green, send a redstone signal to the altar and it will produce a Vault Crystal that is ready to be run in the portal.

The Vaults you make in the altar (not the Raw vaults from the budding crystals) will have some new special rooms which are mostly too hard for newbies, they can have different themes than just rock and dirt, and the loot tables are much different (better). You will no longer see the Quarry and Grass rooms - those are Raw vaults only for Skyblock so that you can get the supplies that non-Skyblock people get in the overworld.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Skyvault is excellent because I want to do the fun new thing and not the regular minecraft thing I've done a hundred times over the last 10+ years.

I did a handful of the raw vaults and got a big pile of stuff, made a regular Vault with a scavenger goal (and cleared it!). It was super fun, got a ton of neat things, and now my altar wants 27 copper and some sugar cane. Copper is fine to collect in the raw vaults but sugar cane I'm assuming I just have to find randomly in the overworld rooms? Which sucks so after like 4 more raw vaults and no luck I'm going to just cheat. As always when a mod tells you that you can't have fun yet you say gently caress you and cheat.

Also as was mentioned, bail on vaults if time gets low (so try to remember your route!) so you can actually get xp. Because actually getting a level up means you can learn the heal spell and stop dying from attrition. You can cast it on cooldown without mana problems.

Final tip I figured out because it wasn't obvious, if you find unidentified equipment, just hold it and right click to ID it! I thought you needed the forge but that lets you craft new random gear. Got a sweet sword that makes a friendly poison cloud and had stun chance!

The general idea is that some of the mods you unlock with knowledge stars let you automate production of vault altar materials

It's also mostly assumed you make a mob grinder

I just cheat in altar materials because I don't like that part of the game

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

bawk posted:

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE CHUNKS BEHIND THE CURTAIN!

"Oops, just delete those with WorldEdit"

-the devs

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Spectral Werewolf posted:

The devs say that the objectives are not always going to be completable; it’s entirely possible that there aren’t enough monoliths, obelisks or scavenger items to complete an objective due to the nature of random generation. There isn’t a system in place to make sure an appropriate number of things spawn.

And the dev's claimed balance manifesto is that vaults should only be expected to be completed ~10% of the time by an average solo player, 15-20% if you're really good

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AceClown posted:

From what I can tell watching a couple of people stream it, it scales with your level, I don't think you're supposed to be banging out create contraptions at level 8

most of them power level up to about level 20 and any knowledge points get put straight in to the bag mods that you can take in the vaults with you. Means you can spend more time in there, farm pretty much everything and not have to ever leave due to full inventory space.

It's grindy and balanced around people who play every day on multiplayer servers. They claim it's balanced for single player but they make knee-jerk nerfs when something doesn't work in multiplayer, even if it nukes the purpose of a feature in single player from orbit.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

The Vault Hunters mod has a ton of .json files in its config folder, through which you can change all kinds of settings and inner workings. Lots to go on there. The only thing I thought to look for but can't find is how to change the vault time limit. Apparently the value that used to change it now does nothing. Found some posts of other people not being able to find it either. Fields are not documented anywhere. You can ask about it on the discord, but apparently it's against the rules to talk about any config settings that go against the "intended balance of the pack".

Yeah, it's pretty clear that a lot of the core mod they develop for The Vault intentionally doesn't expose its configs for just that reason. I wanted to change all spawners to ambush spawners and figured there must be a way to do it before I realized that they violate the config rules of thumb to keep people from making changes.

My theory is that they don't want people showing off how they improved the gameplay by doing XYZ in the configs and create a pseudo-fork when a bunch of the community adopts a non-canon way of playing.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought you could pour a molten liquid into seared tank set directly under a faucet.

That was always my go-to method to partially fill a block with garbage so that I could break it

Edit: as far as I recall from so many years ago

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

socialsecurity posted:

So I'm not getting any XP in Vault Hunters 3 skyblock and I'm unsure why. At first I thought it was the starter vaults so I made the altar and started doing those but they give me no xp either, google is being unhelpful as to wtf I'm doing wrong.

Are the vault crystals lower than your current level for some reason? The crystal's level gets locked on creation.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

iirc the term is "ancient and eldritch"

That is not dead which can eternal lie has to get up in the middle of the night to pee,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I remember a buddy and mine set up under a giant redwood tree years ago on a server. I think our MFR tree farm touched one of the roots so the harvester proceeded to eat the whole tree. We came back to a hole in the ground where our base was, a sign somebody had put up which read "I'm sorry for your loss."

Not quite as impactful as when I used a Sacred Sapling in a skyblock without understanding it was about to delete a huge chunk of my base to place that huge fuckoff tree structure.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AceClown posted:

Don't worry about that, update 9 is dropping any day now and it's going to include an enchantment table that lets you buy vanilla enchants so you no longer need a villager concentration camp

Oh, thank god. I never learned vanilla villager mechanics

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Echophonic posted:

But I just spent like a hour getting my villagers sorted with good trades! :negative:

I am wondering what the best way to get emeralds for this junk is, I kinda don't feel like setting up an iron golem farm. I threw Fortune 3 on a hoe, but it doesn't seem to really help getting crops? Upon checking the wiki, only carrots and potatoes get boosted. Otherwise you just get a fuckload of seeds.

Sticks->Emerald is often meta on servers

Or you can skip that part and cheat yourself a stack of emeralds

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AceClown posted:

Chunk Loader mod iirc

don't think it's been updated in a while, most people use FTB Utils now where you open a map and claim/load the chunks you want to stay in memory

Here's a 1-min tutorial on claiming/chunk loading in FTB Utils

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNc6xhWXFsA

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

bawk posted:

I've done this so many times now with leather it's not even funny. Animal traps are so hostile to automation and I suck at remembering to breed animals/had a bad experience with automated breeding causing a bunch of entities that I just stopped doing it altogether.

I ended up with hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of bees on a skyblock server in an enclosed fishbowl and had to kill them all to get the tps back down to normal :gonk: they weren't even good bees yet!

This is one of the cool things that Vault Hunters 3 implemented, the simple Animal Pen blocks that let you abstract the performance-murdering animal pens into a single block.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Biggest change, if it sticks, is this one imo

quote:

Lastly, we are testing out having all mob spawners be ambush/fizzle spawners, with the exception of Dungeons and Challenge rooms.

I hope they at least expose the config variable if they don't want to keep it the default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

bawk posted:

This sounds awesome. Who needs flight when you can just leap through the air and land on cushy slippers?

Nostalgic for the massively overpowered slime boots + slime sling from the 1.07 FTB pack

Every modern pack that has them has it nerfed to where you aren't superman