Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Neither the draft website or this forum respect the language of the Eldar so whatever the title might say, it is officially the Lothlórien Basketball Association.

The people at SAS are going to do a basketball league. A Fantasy basketball league.

The question is what sort of league should it be?

I am thinking H2H points.

This site apparently does not support auction drafts, which is a bummer to me. However it does support email drafts so we don't all have to show up to do this thing.

If you haven't posted already let me know if you'd like to join. We have the minimum to get started already but more are welcome.

E: 2021 CURRENT TEAM LIST
Thanks to rivetz

Rick fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Maestro posted:

I haven’t done fanty in a while besides the Purple Monkey Dishwasher league last year so I have no preference for anything. Not like I wouldn’t trust whatever bball related decision you’d make anyways

You don't have PMs I guess there is no reason to not post the link: https://www.fleaflicker.com/nba/leagues/27311/invited?eh=e7ee10fb

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Anyone with any input on scoring? I removed most of the negatives because that isn't very fun. The ones I left were to balance out pure chucking or bad free throw shooters but I don't know if I did enough (went back and forth if there should be a negative for missed threes, decided not). I also made technicals a slight positive, because gently caress the police.

code:
Rule	Apply To
1 point for every Point	ALL
1 extra point when total Points is between 10 and 19 (inclusive)	ALL
2 extra points when total Points is between 20 and 29 (inclusive)	ALL
3 extra points when total Points is between 30 and 49 (inclusive)	ALL
5 extra points when total Points is greater than or equal to 50	ALL
9 points for every 5 Assists (1.8 per)	ALL
2 points for every Steal	ALL
2 points for every Blocked Shot	ALL
1 point for every 2 Points Off Turnovers (0.5 per)	ALL
5 points for every Double Double	ALL
2 points for every Triple Double	ALL
Shooting
1 point for every Field Goal Made	ALL
1 point for every 2 Free Throws Made (0.5 per)	ALL
3 points for every 2 Three Point Field Goals Made (1.5 per)	ALL
-1 point for every 3 Field Goals Missed (-0.33 per)	ALL
-1 point for every 2 Free Throws Missed (-0.5 per)	ALL
Rebounding
3 points for every 2 Rebounds (1.5 per)	ALL
Fouls
1 point for every 5 Technical Fouls (0.2 per)	ALL

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'll give this another day or so to see if anyone else is in and for people who have already said they're in to have a comfortable amount of time to sign up and such, and then I'll start the email draft. I have no idea what this is going to look like but it could be interesting to play in a league with a relatively small number of people.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

rivetz posted:

I'm in if there's a slot, didn't have my poo poo together in time for most leagues kicking off, but this seems like a particularly nutty season for a fantasy league and I'd love to get one going. The scoring system you posted looks great to me

Sure you would definitely be welcome. I think you just click the link above.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Thank you
I’m in as Number 2 Sports Fan
The only other negative I would include would be TOVs but I also agree that who cares about negatives, let the hoopers hoop. And lol at technicals being a slight +

I set it so every turnover after the fourth turnover is -.5, and every turnover after 10 is -1. I feel like Magic averaged nearly four turnovers a game so 4 free turnovers seems to be appropriate, and then it doesn't REALLY hurt until a guy has more than 10 turnovers which is pretty unarguably a bad game, not something that would stop you from playing LeBron or Luca.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
All righty I think we are ready to go. I clicked on "start the email draft."

I have no idea what this entails but I assume when it's your turn you'll get an email to draft someone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
And we are all busy people so I am okay with no time limit although I also know that sometimes people sign up and things come up and they don't have internet for a month.

So should we have like a soft time limit of a day? Two days? Three days? A week? And if we hit that limit should I just draft someone for them at random? Draft the next highest player available?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Maestro posted:

I think something like a day or two makes sense, maybe with a weekend grace period, and I’m okay with you drafting the next best player. We can give Joploo until Monday/Tuesday because he/she is first. A week would be too long, the season is already over 10% done!

Again, whatever you decide Rick - I’m just throwing out my opinions so you don’t feel like you’re talking to yourself.

Thank you, I really appreciate the bounce back, hahah. I appreciate it. I think Monday works for Joploo since this is out of no where and then after that we will do a day.

Red Rox posted:

Thanks for setting this up dude! The scoring is very different to the Yahoo league that I'm in, so that's great.

Cool to have a nice chill draft too - the live one I did was way too stressful.

Not a problem and tell me about it. Usually scheduling the draft is the hardest part and it's rare that half the people even show. Not to mention doing the draft, especially auction style how I normally play where you might not get a good player at all. With our number of players we have a pretty good chance of having two really good players each.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 9, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kalensc posted:

Curious if this is filled up or if you can add in another GM before Round 1 ends?

If you're still interested, because no one has actually been drafted yet, I can just go ahead and stop it and let you in, and if it picks Japloo first again I will go ahead and draft someone for them.

Go ahead and click the link above and sign up.

E: Interesting, apparently you can just pause the draft and then someone can sign up.

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 11, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That is cool. If possible have him join today so we can get drafting tomorrow.

The good news is we will be starting right around when everyone starts to tune out of their fantasy team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I’m so excited for a successful pick

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I am gonna give Japloo shorter than normal since we already gave them a whole weekend. Or the normal time if I hear from them which I have not yet.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
All righty. I did this the over-complicated Rick. way. Joploo' (I don't know where I was seeing an A there but whatever) was assigned Karl Anthony-Towns.

For transparency's sake, I sorted the list by 2020-2021 projected draft order, then added the next 5 players (since there are 4 remaining picks in the first round, plus the player who would've been their pick if it was possible for me to move them to the back) and then put them in Random.org and it spit out Towns as the next pick.

If you want to swap with me when I pick, Jo, wherever, you are, we can do that. Although with Towns cleared to play now, this is a good pick.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

did rick do that pick or have they risen from the grave

They rose from the grave.

It's my fault, I figured out it was Dejan and could have just told them at any time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm sorry I always miss out on Bam in fantasy I could not pass him up this time.

If it makes you feel better Zach Lavine has been a great fantasy player this year, I actually spent a long time debating picking him for my earlier pick. I am guessing he only dropped that far because people don't believe it will last which might possibly be true.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

rivetz posted:

I was reading up on him and had totally forgotten that he tore an ACL in his knee in 2017 and was out for 11 months. I get that not all ACL tears are the same but I'm surprised we don't hear more about that as a success story. I wonder where his statistical improvement post-recovery ranks among players who have recovered from a similar injury to play again. There are a number of guys who have done that of course, but I can't think of any of them who continued to elevate their game like he has since coming back.

You're on to something because I can't think of anyone else who played better after ACL. He doesn't even seem to have lost any athleticism.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Red Rox posted:

SheLob City is a great name, well done.

Yeah it's really good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I might be out of internet range in the evening but I downloaded the app so hopefully it should not be a big deal, if it even gets back to me by then.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
As we reach the part of the draft where most of the stars are off the board, I think we should probably speed it up a bit since it matters less. Waiting 18 hours to see who drafts Jordan Clarkson sounds pretty unfun.

Maybe starting Tuesday, you have 4 hours between 9-8 pacific time and 8 hours over night and weekends, with the wiggle room that I"m not going to set an alarm or anything and just check when I normally check.

I'll use the same method I used before or you can email/pm me your list of dudes and I will take the highest available.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Maestro posted:

My struggles were refusing to draft any Lakers or Luka and choosing to ignore Hayward’s off court sensibilities. Now I’m mad that Rick got Fox on his backup squad

Lol hey Dejan has been mostly good about drafting now that they are aware that there is a draft.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It won't let me set the season start forward any farther, so I will just zero everyone out once we finally finish drafting.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EmotionlessThug posted:

I had to pick richaun holmes lol

Hey you can do worse!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm about to have a meeting that lasts a couple hours but if the pick hasn't come through by then I will go ahead and skip. Can you tell I feel bad about skipping people?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It still might, it's only 4 weeks.

I am going to loosen the roster requirements slightly once I can do that again, in this scoring format I don't actually see any advantage to not starting someone, but sometimes it easier to set your daily roster by just dropping inactive people to the bench and needing 10 non-benched players to have a valid roster is a lot.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 19, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Red Rox posted:

We're getting a little bit faster...

Was thinking of changing my name to "One does not simply eurostep into Mordor"

lmao

Honestly all the names are pretty good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Red Rox posted:

Sorry I’m up but I got a picnic for my daughters birthday so might be a couple hours.

Edit: or you could just choose Seth Curry for the Balrogs Balls.

It is done.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I honestly probably would've drafted LeVert if he was still available.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I THINK we are going to actually finish before Monday and start next week.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It is done.

I guess most people don't draft 5 weeks into the season but that thing is very annoying.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I will happily continue to adjust my roster long after everyone else forgets and still lose.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
All righty, we're all drafted! It didn't seem fair to start free agency in the middle of the night so let's hold of on starting until 3:00 PM Eastern Time Saturday.

I tried to lock the rosters but then was able to add a player after, I don't know if that's because commissioner rules or what but let's all just not add players until noon pacific Saturday.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 23, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Question: How do y'all feel about streaming? Because I currently have it set up to be fairly anti-streaming, but can open it up some if people like to play like that.

For those who don't normally do fantasy, streaming is basically cycling through different free agents as often as possible. Favors people who have lots of time to manage their roster, in theory (you can also stream yourself right into a god awful roster, too).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
No tweaking to allow more streaming it is, then.

Red Rox posted:

Yeah streaming sounds like an awful lot of work. I just want to ball and smoke pipeweed.

Speaking of pipeweed, what are we supposed to spend that $100 on? Is that if two people want to sign the same free agent - do you have to outbid each other? Nobody in my Yahoo league seems to be spending it.

In theory if someone waives someone that a bunch of people want then you would use that to bid. But yeah, in practice it hardly ever gets used. It's mostly for leagues with small rosters, short drafts (email drafts doesn't really give that option) or giant amount of starters where anyone who comes free for some reason is value. Otherwise usually if someone is cut it's because they are bad and even if you think they might turn it around it's going to be more than 48 hours later.

I guess theoretically it might get used a little in this game because as set up right now after games start players for later games will be on waivers so maybe on a desperate Sunday people might pay to grab a guy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Am I allowed to draft a guy tonight to replace McCollum temporarily?

You should be able to just put McCollum on the IR and add someone to your roster in the "players" section, and cut them (or someone else) later when CJ recovers. If you have any rookies who aren't playing you can put one on the taxi squad to free up a space for today and move them back to the taxi when you don't need them. You can have up to 13 players on your main roster but you can carry up to 16 total through the IR and taxi squad.

There's still a few players above league average so you aren't totally sunk.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 24, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I can't promise to always read the forums before games start or even every day but if I'm around and you (or anyone) post here I will try my best to get dudes into people's games.

Rick fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 26, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I made a slight rule change because the language of the site is not great, and to give 4 free turnovers as I said at the start, it has to be "between 5 and 9" instead of "4 to 9" which I think is bad English but whatever.

Red Rox posted:

Oh true you can do that? UNLIMITED POWER oh wait wrong nerd universe.

EDIT: you know, I think this is my first ever page snipe after all these years wow shameful

lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Bigs score so many points that it is a standard to cap center. I'll move it up to 5 though because now more players than ever have a C tag so it's definitely a roster constraint.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Red Rox posted:

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks commish - Adam Silver better watch out!

I just need to figure out where the bodies are buried and I'm in.

The Maestro posted:

It turns out I also might have drafted poorly? But then that would be my fault, so gently caress all that.

Missing CJ and Paul George is really hard, those guys both are worth about 2 league average players each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Eventually riding the Boogie Cousins roller coaster will come back to bite me.