Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't think they have it up on their website, which is a shame, but a while back on Twitter they went through what a blending of each class would look like although they just stuck with two. The beauty is you can 'multiclass' into everything and it makes sense. Fight, make your own deals, fix your own crap, etc. A lot of builds for V in 2077 would probably shake out this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Sinatrapod posted:

If and when I finally get to run some Red I am heavily tempted to house rule a bit of the crunch back in. Cover, going prone and shooting-while-moving difficulty modifiers aren't exactly hard to inject, though I suppose once you start down that road you enter "Why not just play CP2020 and use the Red netrunning rules" territory which is harder to reply to.

It has been a minute but I am quite certain that Red is chock full of modifiers for cover, concealment, distraction, etc. My whole character build involved getting behind enemy lines and chasing them out of cover with a shotgun, allowing my friends to get shots on them.

In one encounter, the enemy netrunner selectively killed all the lights on their side and set off the building's sprinkler system, so our guys were heavily distracted and couldn't see what they were shooting at, and the enemy was behind cover on top of that. It made a gigantic difference and it was a huge relief when we finally fixed it.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 28, 2022

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
that's a hell of a move, p cool.

shoulda thrown glow sticks or brought flashlights. Which lol half the templates start with them, and also lol that they would immediately know where you were and what you were looking at if you didn't already, even if it was dark all the way around. There's also scopes and eyes that would have helped.

Lesse about modifiers tho:

I could see a situation where if you know some rear end in a top hat is behind a lovely cubicle wall that only provides concealment (so 0 hp non-cover), and you just :blastu: it would be a -2 or -4 to actually hit. Depending on what they're hiding behind and what you're shooting a shotgun shell could maybe trash the whole thing, but bullets or slugs would leave bullet sized holes that would bring the negative back towards zero.

Also: if hiding behind real cover that completely blocks your entire body, you can still pop out to shoot and pop back in to hide, if you have 2 move. If your enemy just holds their action to shoot you if you pop up to take the shot they're betting on you doing this, and can't just blast your cover until it breaks. Meanwhile you could chuck a grenade over the cover, or poo poo your pants, or something. Maybe use your perception skill to listen carefully or something. If you have some non-visual sensorware use that. If you have a screen or the eye for it link up your agent and peek it past the edge instead of your face. But if you know they know where you are, and they're not shooting, they're either waiting for you to expose yourself or they're doing something else.

I think going prone to snipe somebody should take your action for the turn, then the next turn if they're already still exposed you can get a +1 to hit. You absolutely shouldn't get any kind of "I'll just take longer" positive advantage by holding your shot waiting for some gonk to come out, for sure.

Honestly the more I consider it I dunno if holding an action to shoot someone completely behind cover who carefully peeks out to return fire should count as a called shot or if a character should have to come out of cover to shoot what. You kinda gotta expose yourself to shoot, in some situations you kinda dont? If you only peak your face out to look, instead of your upper torso to try and take a shot, that absolutely should have to require a called shot imo.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

I don't think they have it up on their website, which is a shame, but a while back on Twitter they went through what a blending of each class would look like although they just stuck with two. The beauty is you can 'multiclass' into everything and it makes sense. Fight, make your own deals, fix your own crap, etc. A lot of builds for V in 2077 would probably shake out this way.

It started as a series of Reddit posts by JGray, this was the first and the rest are in their submission history.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
neat vid i found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ApMSKql23I

--

I've been tooling around kinda half assing various gigs and characters for no reason, which I do sometimes. I've been thinking about what architectures actually are and what the files and stuff in there represent, and I still think a "file" in an arch isn't just mycrimes.txt or fiscalyear2045.xlsx -- they gotta be something big enough or complex enough that they just don't fit into a normal computer, control nodes can't be run off of a laptop, otherwise why even go through the expense of setting up one in the first place? Right?

So somebody would want to have an architecture that allows you to control complex machine systems automatically, or really sophisticated bigass databases are a mere "file," stuff like that. If you had maybe only a lovely drone and a lovely controller you could manually fly it, but an architecture lets you do things like tell it to go here and do this and it figures out the details on its own. 3d chip schematics and all the revisions and complicated bullshit for fabricating some piece of really advanced tech would need to be housed in an architecture and this thing connects to the normal users and their normal workstations and they never have to worry about what's actually going on under the hood. That's what the enemy netrunners and demons do. Their job is to handle the under the hood maintenance of the system so that the people who use it never have to bother. As a kind of mega throwback the arch and a normal computer are like minicomputers and terminals.

A rockerboy could use their computer to browse the local data pool or edit their music or whatever, but someone with access to an architecture could run really complicated jobs on it, or store mega sized datasets.

--

I think I came up with a potentially neat situation that has some flaws. In this one the PCs get a hook from someone wanting to buy info: somebody's been working on an experimental "heterarchical" architecture. It's at most 6 floors deep -- maybe less, the buyer doesn't have great info -- but for sure small enough to be portable. They'll pay the team for solid info about this thing -- design documents, poo poo like that. If they are able to heist out the prototype they'll pay way above market value for what a normal architecture of that size would be. Could be 24,000€$ easy even if the thing's completely empty! Plus cash for the docs!

PCs need to
  • figure out an in / case the joint
  • decide if they can heist out the whole thing or not
  • recover the info / architecture
  • leave without getting busted

Seems like it's a pretty standard R&D situation. Maybe it's in a corporate zone. Maybe it's a more low key area.
key materials are inside the architecture and not connected to the normal everyday computers that techs use to work on it, even though all these things are set up as if they were connected. Notably weird. There's some other clues that point towards this thing being weird, inside the architecture and around the facility.

The actual architecture branches quick, with one being the longer branch, and the other being the shorter. There's stuff like HR records, which also contain medical records and the fact that the normal admins and runners using the system often get brain damage just by using the thing. If the players look into this file enough it should become apparent that once someone goes in deep enough they might not be able to jack out safely, even people who are supposed to be there. There are also empty files which would be the attachment points for the normal computers and stuff to work on and design experimental part of the system... except they're blank, empty interfaces. There's a weirdly modified Imp in here, and some defensive programs. Pathfinding reveals a slight delay from one branch, and if the PCs can get some good deductions they might realize it could be a second architecture tightly integrated to the main one, but not intrinsically part of the same system.

The twist is this: The shorter branch is the real target system, which is in fact relatively small and portable and can be disconnected, but internally it loops in a complicated way that appears to change the layout whenever a netrunner moves within it. If a PC cracks the password and then pathfinds, they'll see an unbranching series of levels below them that go for as long as their pathfind roll could see. Because of the way the thing is internally linked, when they cross over they'll also see an "infinite" number of levels above them. Following their footsteps back will not bring them to the same location again -- it's not Euclidean. In actuality there are only 6 floors. Just looking at it from the inside with no extra info would give no real clue except that the things that in there "sort of" repeat as the pathfind loops back around and steps across the same positions over and over.

So this thing could be pretty tough to run unless you have it really well planned out. You can't just randomly place them somewhere along the line because it's arbitrary and unfair, but the player realizing they're getting more and more lost in a curved multidimensional space that is projected down into the pseudo 2d netrunning system in Red is basically insane, who would guess that, or be able to navigate it, or run it? You'd have to be an irl mathematician to even map it. It also sort of requires the idea that if you don't have access to the top floor anymore then you can't safely jack out -- that's why these IT gonks are getting all screwed up, they keep getting lost down there.

Also, technically I don't think there's a way for someone who actually owns an architecture to get hurt by it if they unsafely jack out. That kinda blows the deal, because it needs to be dangerous to go in there without knowing exactly what you're doing. Anyway the full story is that going into the architecture is pretty dangerous so they've got this Imp that wakes up every morning before the techs get in, goes in there and navigates to where the real important research info is, and copies it over into the interface. That way meatheads don't have to do it and keep getting fried, and it sort of self-protects by being an insane maze. There would be some close to done schematics for hardware you could socket into your deck that would let you safely traverse the weird architecture space, some other stuff like that strewn around.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You know the system much better than I do but this reads like a Cyber Tomb of Horrors where the netrunner just gets hosed because they have no practical way to see the threat before they're trapped.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah i kinda don't really know that there's a way to make it work well. There's no in-setting way that is spelled out that seems like you can make an architecture dangerous just by being in it -- there's no analog to physical traps, there has to be either an enemy netrunner or black ice or a demon, or some thing in there with you -- the space itself seems pretty entirely neutral, even if you're not supposed to be in there.

If someone were to try and rampage directly into the looping region that's when they could get hit, unsafe jackout i think only gives everything you've encountered a free shot on your way out. If someone were more meticulous and took out all the defenses on the way in, they could just pull the plug and shrug. Big whoop. So this shoots down the evidence that it's a trap in the first place, because then netrunners who were supposed to be in there aren't going to really get injured by things that aren't going to try and hurt them at all. Maybe you massage the files so that instead of netrunners getting all brain damaged there's an extremely weirdly big incidence of them just disconnecting for seemingly no reason?

The gm might be able to telegraph some hints... idk. Might not be a scenario worth developing. Maybe some more sourcebooks come out or something that gives more to work off of.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
Running my first session in RED tomorrow evening. I got a Media, Netrunner, Exec, and Medtech. Between all my players I managed to create a plot threat that I can tie them all into. Everything I've read so far has said that both the Exec and Media generally push the plot. So, mostly I am trying to link their stories so they want to work together.

I also had an idea for a non-Euclidean net architecture, in a way. A new net system called 'Recursion'. It acts like node in game sense. When the runner enters a Recursion node they will notice nothing there. It will be like a blank node. When they try to move themselves to the next node, they will appear back in the recursion node, but with another copy of themselves mirroring their every move. If they try to leave again they appear in the same node with four copies mirroring each other. Each time they do this it compounds the stress on their system. If they try to leave behind it follows the same exponential expansion. If they try to jack out or are forced to, they will repeat the recursion ad infinitum until their brain fries.

The players are never supposed to actually run this. It will be something they learn about before they actually get access to Recursion. It was developed by Arasaka to trap errant AI's. Once an AI enters the space it can not leave, and an AI isn't broken by the recursive nature of the node.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

There a good place to get a grab bag of cyberpunk minifigs? All we have is DnD minis, and while its fine for what it is in the current campaign I'd like to get some cyberpunk stuff. At least some more mooks.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Re: ai trap: sounds cool. Maybe make it Netwatch tech instead of Arasaka's, set up a kind of "it's over all our heads, high level" kind of arms race that normal people have no idea about, not even netrunners

I think that weird architectures have a place and could work because your deck doesn't have a way to correctly interpret what it's relaying to you, so it comes out all rear end backwards & confusing. &dangerous.

Defenestrategy posted:

There a good place to get a grab bag of cyberpunk minifigs? All we have is DnD minis, and while its fine for what it is in the current campaign I'd like to get some cyberpunk stuff. At least some more mooks.

I'd be a dick and say you should print them like a real punk but iirc r talsorian at one point had some for sale, possibly thru a side project for their more tactical version lemme see

E: yeah it was thru monster fight club

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 29, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'd be a dick and say you should print them like a real punk but iirc r talsorian at one point had some for sale, possibly thru a side project for their more tactical version lemme see

E: yeah it was thru monster fight club

A real punk believes in the paper less office TYVM <:mad:>
Jesus twenty bucks for three figs..........

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 29, 2022

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Re: ai trap: sounds cool. Maybe make it Netwatch tech instead of Arasaka's, set up a kind of "it's over all our heads, high level" kind of arms race that normal people have no idea about, not even netrunners

Yeah, I'm definitely going with that "above our heads" idea. I think Netwatch would work best, but I need to tie it all into other players stuff and that just worked best. But, I will poke around the idea and see if I'll lose too much by changing it. If that makes sense?

Just finished the very first session. Players had a ton of fun so it was a success. They made friends with a poser gang called Machete who all bio-sculpt and cyberware themselves into 21st Century BD mega-star Danny Trejo. The leader had a broken audiovox so his real voice come through, which was a very heavy Swedish accent that misused Mexican-American slang. They helped Swedish Danny save his girlfriend blonde Danni from some corrupt NCPD goons.

Huckabee Sting fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 30, 2022

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I started running a campaign. We're having a blast so far. It started with the Apartment as our hook adventure setting up a main plot about real estate fuckery because this is central California. I put the apartment in a neighborhood that's a canal on the 2077 map as a little hint for anyone who decides to check. Each PC has a side plot--that one thing they gotta handle before they leave Night City for good. We got a rockerboy trying to get back the rights to his music after a drug bust, a netrunner whose family is indentured to a corp, a tech who's looking for his lost lover, and a solo who's trying to woo his fixer and lead her into a better life.

I'm torn between making the real estate thing something really SF like there's some forgotten cyber lab or an AI mainframe down beneath the neighborhood or just keeping it nice and mundane--the evil corp wants to tear the neighborhood down to dredge this canal. If y'all have any suggestions on how to make the real estate plot cool, please share them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Wargames Atlantic makes cheap plastic scifi mooks for their Death Fields collection. The Cannon Fodder box should have all the corporate rent-a-cops you'll ever need.

Reaper sells a bunch of modern and sci-fi models in plastic.

Anvil Industry (UK) sells custom bits you can assemble into all manner of tiny resin dudes. Moderately expensive, but incredibly customisable.

Empress Miniatures (also UK) sells metal models for historical and modern wargames, but you can find some marines, civilians and baseball-capped low-drag operators in there.

Edit: Oh and while Mantic's Deadzone is straight up mil-sci-fi, some of their humans can be pretty cyberpunk, and their plastic terrain is moderately affordable compared to everyone else. Mix of plastic and resin.

I feel like I'm blanking on something incredibly obvious here but can't figure out what.

Edit Edit: Maybe Warlord Games' Judge Dredd line? All resin from what I can tell.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 15, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thank you miniatures unspiration thread

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PeterWeller posted:

I started running a campaign. We're having a blast so far. It started with the Apartment as our hook adventure setting up a main plot about real estate fuckery because this is central California. I put the apartment in a neighborhood that's a canal on the 2077 map as a little hint for anyone who decides to check. Each PC has a side plot--that one thing they gotta handle before they leave Night City for good. We got a rockerboy trying to get back the rights to his music after a drug bust, a netrunner whose family is indentured to a corp, a tech who's looking for his lost lover, and a solo who's trying to woo his fixer and lead her into a better life.

I'm torn between making the real estate thing something really SF like there's some forgotten cyber lab or an AI mainframe down beneath the neighborhood or just keeping it nice and mundane--the evil corp wants to tear the neighborhood down to dredge this canal. If y'all have any suggestions on how to make the real estate plot cool, please share them.

Love the 'one last NC job' hook.

Lately more and more I wish RTG'd give us community building rules. It's always fun to watch the PCs get possessive over a patch of dirt and try to make it their own. As for why the corp wants the canal itself, I'd make that personal. Make it a corpo's pet project that they think will catapult them into that corner office and give the players a face to put to their woes. They're in charge of turning it into a new upscale Beaverville or something and it turns into a mirror of the PCs 'if they do just this one thing it'll all work out.'

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

An algorithim decided that in twenty years that patch of land is gonna be super valuable. Why? Nobody knows, but the algorithim is never wrong, and the more the pcs fight over it, the more valuable it gets so the corp sends heavier and heavier amounts of money and muscle at it.

Turns out the algorithim had a bug that over valued canal sludge by 1000% and gives a multiplier for "enemy action" that defends the location.

I like corp as stupid cthulu hooks.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Defenestrategy posted:

A real punk believes in the paper less office TYVM <:mad:>
Jesus twenty bucks for three figs..........

3d print, choom.

Huckabee Sting posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely going with that "above our heads" idea. I think Netwatch would work best, but I need to tie it all into other players stuff and that just worked best. But, I will poke around the idea and see if I'll lose too much by changing it. If that makes sense?

Just finished the very first session. Players had a ton of fun so it was a success. They made friends with a poser gang called Machete who all bio-sculpt and cyberware themselves into 21st Century BD mega-star Danny Trejo. The leader had a broken audiovox so his real voice come through, which was a very heavy Swedish accent that misused Mexican-American slang. They helped Swedish Danny save his girlfriend blonde Danni from some corrupt NCPD goons.

nice, imo you gotta have the goofball stuff, at least a little

--

For this other one imo, both the faceless inhuman algo enemy & the personalized executive enemy are way better than anything i was trying to think up, so I'd say maybe combine them both. The corpo thinks this thing is gonna be a promotion machine, but it's all hosed up because someone else injected the canal sludge value modifier, and nobody knows -- not the players, not the exec, not the exec's team. This gives you a skilled netrunner character (or at least one more skilled than the team member an exec gets, on par with the player netrunner or stronger) who's acting against the exec by having planted the virus, but may or may not be in "an enemy of my enemy" situation with the players. The corporate side is powerful and dangerous, but also just dumb as hell without realizing it.

now you have a good excuse to hit up a place like Short Circuit, right? You've got a netrunner and a tech in the group who might be able to 2+2 and try to get more info there even if the players don't have a media who has easy access to rumors. If somebody's opposing this exec, who isn't another exec, then maybe that's the kinda place to get some info. The rockerboy could probably help shmooze their way into getting this info.

RT released another one of their S.A.N.T.A. dlcs, where some mysterious benefactor uploads a bunch of schematics for items from 2020 to the publicly accesable library architecture at Short Circuit, so it's a sorta smooth way to introduce some neat extra tools that the players might not have, but can only get because of the characters in the party. Because they have a tech and netrunner and a rockerboy, they should be able to get their hands on the schematics no problem, and the tech might be able to just fabricate whatever, even if assembling the thing is not installing it.

Last time it was guns if they decide to go loud, this time it's all cyberware, like the gang jazzler lol. Goofy name, potentially super useful. Maybe the players can flip the script by surveilling the exec or stealing surveillance from their conapt & using it to fab a personality chip, then impersonate them to order their team around or get them discredited. Or just KO & abduct the fucker or one of the other corpos. Maybe if the players can form some alliance with the exec they can get the party netrunner's family out, or get the music rights shuffled around. If they're willing to do something grimy. Morally questionable. Or the exec is almost pissing their pants and offers it as a last ditch offer, depending on how the party wants to approach the situation.

If the players decide to bite and get the free schematics from Short Circuit and assemble the gear for cheaper than trying to source it from a night market, even if they don't get any info about the exec's shadowy enemy while they're there, this would then let you build out a ripperdoc who is willing to install this stuff completely off the books for a favor. The players can find this doc thru the solo's fixer and the fixer-ripper relationship could be important or related to the solo's goal.

If you do decide to go with something along these lines then you just need some way for them to identify the who is loving up their situation and come up with this third party netrunner who's got their own agenda and what that agenda might be. The jump from the initial session to short circuit is probably the biggest reach unless you can figure out how to drop a hint to the players. If the tech's looking for their missing lover, then maybe they need a private investigator who can help find out other things as well. For a price.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 15, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Has anyone dming cyberpunk noticed that money is basically your power level? The ability to buy guns, mooks, enhancements, and info are generally more of a power source than the other stats on the sheet?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
what's your crew looking like?

There's a paragraph buried in the book somewhere that talks about how every buyer needs a seller and you can't just pop on down to the vendit to pick up a railgun.

If you need to slow the roll for rich edgerunners you can focus on the night markets & midnight markets being the only real way to get the good poo poo™ -- money only goes so far if you can't pull the strings needed to find buyers and sellers. So the crew might end up with a chunk of pricey loot that they can't actually use and can't liquidate, or they've got to get their hands on something really effective and expensive to do their next job, and you gotta get a fixer to get anything accomplished and they're going to want a cut. And deals can go sideways.

Keeping track of rent, ammo costs, crap like that is a pain in the rear end, but it can provide a sense of pressure & tension -- trying to keep your head above water.

Or if it's too far in the other direction, everyone should be able to get at least get a toehold on what they're looking for. Through their role, their skills, or their connections. Maybe trade work for something?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Defenestrategy posted:

Has anyone dming cyberpunk noticed that money is basically your power level? The ability to buy guns, mooks, enhancements, and info are generally more of a power source than the other stats on the sheet?

Pretty much every game has money and xp as parallel advancement tracks.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

That is in a way a part the lore of cyberpunk. You do jobs to get money to get more gear, that in turn lets you get better jobs for even more money for even better gear. Rinse and repeat until you either die in the gutters, or die as a legend.

If the system accomplishes that could be up for debate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I had a whole brainwave for a convention module/one shot to develop revolving around the idea of runners having to go do some poo poo at the cyberpunk equivalent of a monster con, like Gencon or Otakon or something.

This seems to tonally suit 2020 better from what little I know, but is RED's ruleset a superior version of what 2020 is going for? I'm figuring if this is meant to be a con game, I'm going to want to make things as pick-up-and-go as possible.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

RED is way easier to pick up than 2020 and I've run 2020 modules with RED's ruleset without too much trouble so I'd go for RED.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
RED also has a companion app that is very good

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RED also finally manages to break through the 'let's just have a Netrunner as an NPC' barrier because now what they're doing is fully integrated into what the rest of the team is doing from an action perspective.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tight, I'll pick it up. Does it have adventure design guidance? My big hitch there is that it occurred to me that such a space would present a very different threat surface to runner types: instead of being corpo poo poo and implicitly being advanced stuff run by punch clock workers, it would be potentially rickety poo poo run by passionate volunteers. You'd also have the small risk of Adam Smasher having shown up to pick up a convention exclusive Pretty Cure figure, but these problems seem to come down to a possible literal random encounter table for the ill-fortuned.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
there's like 20 pages near the back that describes a way to put together adventures and campaigns via plot beats. Basically putting together a plot with beat charts.

Then there's also a bunch of generic npcs statted and some encounter tables and some screamsheets. There's gotta be a net architecture floating around in their free dlc or in the actual corebook that you could scrape, & rules for making one, but the price on those gets hefty

e: oh man what if the main con netrunner is just kind of a dumbass and doesn't realize this second hand shadily-obtained architecture they're using to help run the con has something in it that is worth a lot, or is dangerous. Like some previous runner left a hosed up virus in there and the moron botched all their detect rolls or something

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 22, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So focused on fixing registration he missed the AV/BD back doors. Or could miss new ones.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Or it’s con center infrastructure and their runners are not top of the game. Or they are good but volunteers and Pavill isn’t going to miss the Us Cracks concert.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Now that I am at home with this idea, I have wishlisted RED in case there is a sale before I get my next pay sorted out. :v:

I've been reading some of the CP2020 lore and it seems like the whole big idea of that setting is that America and perhaps Night City in specific have gone to complete poo poo, but the situation is a lot better in much of the rest of the world, in so far as you can say it's "better" with huge environmental degradation and so forth. Is that accurate? Like I got the vibe reading through a lot of it that Europe/Japan/maybe the USSR are actually decent places to live, and perhaps so is the Moon... but then they all apparently have levels of free-fire zone intensity that seems comical even by comparison to our own gun-happy situation in 2023 in reality.

I'm basing this largely from things I picked up in passing from people in the CP2077 game which I am working through; Haiti has apparently gotten so bad there was a mass exodus, but a ripperdoc from somewhere in Eastern Europe is like "lol it's hilarious ripperdoc service is free where I'm from." (I assume you would still have to pay for non-medical chrome.)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Even though Red hasnt released much detail of the world outside of night city I infer its pretty much the same for everyone. The internets fragmented to poo poo, places are still rebuilding from the military left overs of the 4th corpo war, so I can only assume until sometime between 2040 and 2077 the world isnt significantly different in state.

Its your campaign though, if you wanna say that *squints at map* mongolia somehow has remained fairly untouched and has been built into an asian tiger economy go for it. Nothing contradicts it afaik.

Edit: personally Ive just been playing with 2020 lore with red rules due to basically the lack of any sort of setting supplement outside of core rules being released, and even then its pretty light on that. Im thinking that the current set of rules is just a hold over til 2077 supplement is released and theyll go all in on that setting possibly.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 24, 2023

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I miss the old days of RPGs when a single edition of a game would take up an entire shelf.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Even though Red hasnt released much detail of the world outside of night city I infer its pretty much the same for everyone. The internets fragmented to poo poo, places are still rebuilding from the military left overs of the 4th corpo war, so I can only assume until sometime between 2040 and 2077 the world isnt significantly different in state.

Its your campaign though, if you wanna say that *squints at map* mongolia somehow has remained fairly untouched and has been built into an asian tiger economy go for it. Nothing contradicts it afaik.

Edit: personally Ive just been playing with 2020 lore with red rules due to basically the lack of any sort of setting supplement outside of core rules being released, and even then its pretty light on that. Im thinking that the current set of rules is just a hold over til 2077 supplement is released and theyll go all in on that setting possibly.
Yeah my impression with RED's setting was that it was a lot grunchier, like it was trying to distinguish itself from Shadowrun by being a lot nearer to "actually it has all fallen apart, the falling-apart is just recent enough that technology and poo poo hasn't actually run out yet."

The aftermath of all of that does make it make more sense why, despite being a techno-hellscape, there didn't seem to be a major technological shift between '20 and '77. Any process improvements or whatever were probably more about getting back to the level of corpsploitation they were at.

This is mostly flavoring for the sake of the con module concept, but I'm also hoping I can turn some friends on to the setting and possibly do a campaign or at least something episodic in the setting instead of yet more goddamn D&D.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Speaking of 2077 any word on that supplement yet? Last i heard it was coming sometime. Loke they had a thing for the anime in dev.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Defenestrategy posted:

Speaking of 2077 any word on that supplement yet? Last i heard it was coming sometime. Loke they had a thing for the anime in dev.

Nah, RTG doesn't really hype multiple supplements at the same time. They're working on Black Chrome right now, the reveals of which they've done so far do look.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Dawgstar posted:

Nah, RTG doesn't really hype multiple supplements at the same time. They're working on Black Chrome right now, the reveals of which they've done so far do look.

it's out now

https://rtalsoriangames.com/2023/02/26/black-chrome-is-go/

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cyberpunk RED is $20 USD on DTRPG thanks to "Game Master Day" and will apparently be so through the 14th. Eurodollar price as yet undefined.

I was pleasantly surprised at the level of goodies involved with the package including a fillable character sheet, but I suppose if any RPG is going to have proper digital tools to at least some extent, it will be this one

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I picked up black chrome and eh. Not great I think the only really cool thing in there is that one page dedicates to how logistics works in the time of the red. Wish theyd have done another adventure or a setting book instead I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Anybody use the Cyberpunk RED game app?