Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Akudama Drive is very good, that is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

im really not sure what the gently caress kuma kuma kuma bear is but im going to treasure it until something inevitably runs it for me

it's bear bear bear bear, hth

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I found Urusekai kinda boring. Barely anything important happens, it's almost monster of the week level at this point. Visually it's kinda meh

The egg show and the spider show are both good however

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

It’s about supernaturally-touched lesbians with guns dealing with urban legends come to life in the Stalkerverse. What more do you need?

Ya, it sounds cool when you describe it like that, but when you watch it it's not really that exciting. 8 (or 9? idk, I quit after the beach ep) eps in and nothing is happening, they just kinda wander around, end up in the weird place, run away from the SCP of the week, next ep repeat the same. Premise is cool, but they do literally nothing with it, those are some boring-rear end lesbians.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

I guess tastes vary because I’m having a great time with it. Most of the threats they deal with are of the “instantly kill you or drive you insane” variety so it’s not like fighting them directly is an option. The show is more like Mushishi or Mononoke where half the point is them trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on, except with more mindfuckery. It’s one of the few shows that does incomprehensible monsters well, and I really dig that

I don't want to poo poo on it too much, because it's not bad or anything. It's ok, there's things to like and enjoy in it. I just think I saw all it's elements done better by other shows, so I'd rather watch those. Mononoke has weird monsters and surrealism, and also incredible style, and the mindfuckery usually matches to some emotional beats or backstory of the characters, so you never feel it's coming from nowhere. Wonder Egg has supernatural lesbians fighting monster-of-the-weeks, but also incredible mindblowing animation and sympathetic and fleshed out characters. Shinsekai Yori or Land of the Lustrous have alien worlds with completely different rules, but also interesting mysteries and characters that are engaged in those worlds instead of just kinda stumbling upon stuff.

I liked it at first, but I guess I just wanted something more and/or different from it.

Anyway, I'm reading Assault Girls and it's weird as gently caress, what the hell is this. Soldiers in an interdimensional war are piloting giant biomechanical schoolgirls and slowly go crazy and start believing they actually are the giant schoolgirls.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

watch ping pong

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Substandard posted:

I watched all of Akudama Drive over the last couple of days and thought it was very good. It went off in as much different direction than I was thinking after the first couple episodes, but I really enjoyed it all the way through the end.

Might try to check out the spider anime now for a change of pace.

agreedo, that is also one good amine

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I like the spider anniemay more than the spider manga - the episodes are already past the point where I got bored of reading endless leveling up and skill descriptions.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

apparently in gigant there's a scene where the mc starts bawling in public to shame a girl into going out with him when she tries to let him down easy. it works.

Gigant is garbage all around, even the art is embarrassingly bad. Gantz dude is just fully checked out at this point

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

every even numbered episode gets progressively more brutal but man it's so good.

I also ran into 86 nd binged up until current and it has some gundam IBO vibes going. With kumo and thunderbolt to round things out, it's a really good season

the godzilla show also owns

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I don't know what you people are on, I've checked out Re Zero and it's really not great. Started out interesting, I thought this would be a "what if a dipshit nerd has to survive in a n actual medieval world with no modern comforts", but then in episode 1 he immediately gets a magical girlfriend, goes toe-to-toe with a psycho assassin, then gets to live in an enormous mansion with a bunch of little girls with annoying voices that fawn all over him. How is this not a wish fulfillment fantasy. He doesn't have overpowered magic abilities and cries sometimes like a bitch, but he's still a dipshit kid that can somehow solve everyone's problems.

I guess the subversion is that characters don't have vidya game stats like in every other isekai, but the protagonist keeps making dumb references anyway. Also, he never stops being loving annoying.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

Aaron Sorkin should produce an Isekai

every Sorkin show is him being isekaied into a world where libs are right about everything

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

spider anime is the actual decent isekai, yes

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

christmas boots posted:

"Oh great now this guy gets to live in a mansion with bunch of pretty maids fawning over him"

*main character spends the next several episodes being brutally murdered by the maids and also by a puppy*

I forgot about the powerful magical being that for some reason looks like a 9yo girl and speaks with an annoying affectation.

I've spent 5 hours on this show, how much further until it gets 'good'

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Is there an isekai about a fantasy hero being reincarnated into modern Japan and having to get a soul crushing office job? I feel like there should be at least 10 of them by now

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

drat, Odd Taxi is insanely good

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Pulcinella posted:

And it’s the same continuity. They aren’t remakes.

wait, what?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Vivy had a weakass end, but everything before that was p good, some mindblowing animation at times. I was more annoyed by that 86 anime - you get the point in the first 2-3 episodes, and then you have to watch the whiny main character slowly get it over the course of the next 10. Also not a single Nazi died, pass.

Odd Taxi fuckin rules tho

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

Hows wonder egg priority

whatever message it wanted to say, it absolutely horribly mangled it at every step. if you stop to think about it for 10 seconds it's incredibly dumb and confused, but if you don't it's a very nice looking show with some spectacular animation

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

wolfs posted:

my partner never wants to watch gundams with me is hathaway good looking enough to distract her from it being mechs

I don’t think I can convince her to watch Char’a Counterattack at this point

There's two mech action scenes really. Like half of the movie is two dudes trying to gently caress an annoying 19yo

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

lmfao wonder egg ended on the wettest stupidest fart possible

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Also since it sounds like Wonder Egg Priority fizzed at the end, is Outside Picnic worth watching?

The premise seemed cool at first, but I got tired of it quickly. Each episode is just the same thing - girls go to strange place, wander around a bit, find a weird monster, defeat it or escape, rinse and repeat. There's little overarching plot, interesting mysteries or clear themes, animation is so-so. Also it seemed like it had some production issues and episodes are out of order. That's a pass for me, I peaced out after I think first 5 or 6 eps.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

yea, dude seems to have a history of incredibly dumb takes, and the finale was so stupid that it's very hard to squeeze a good reading out of it

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Blame! is technically about a robot I guess

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

if we're doing robots that have a person inside, then OP should just watch Big-O which is about a robot that is piloted by a batman

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

She was probably middle class

She was extremely fuckable. Gorgeous. A gorgeous bourgeois woman. Waifish. Like a *welkin* basically.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Robot fights should be slow messy slogs. More people pulling off their arms to bash opposing robots. More opening your cockpit because your cameras are broken.

Which is why Big-O is the best robot amine

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

net work error posted:

Anyone else been keeping up with Sonny Boy? I think it's going to be one of those shows you have to finish before you fully get it, I'm down with that.

Wow, this is pretty cool. Basically what I expected out of Otherside Picnic, but actually good

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Office Pig posted:

it was a fairly gradual descent iirc. starts off with regular-rear end women, nothing brow-raising even if he fancied rape scenarios a little too often.

then he introduced us to the little witch character

then he introduced us to her without any clothes

then came the land of giants and the piss loli

then... that one manga...

wait, I thought the piss loli was the one bad one?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

The tedious libness of 86 is 100x more annoying and offensive than the nazi poo poo. It's just not a very good show, not worth arguing about.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Well, it does look like a cartoon, I'll give them that. Probably not in the way they intended though

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No cartoon even looks like that. The way they manipulate the panels might make sense for adapting a comic book, but Cowboy Bebop wasn't a manga.

I meant cartoon as in the characters speak in dumb quips, and it also sounds like they were dubbed over for some reason? Also the action feels slapstick, they're moving all awkwardly and poo poo. Dumb swish and boioiong noises. Just stupid.

Also in that frame immediately after he sees Vicious (presumably), Cho looks loving ooold as gently caress. Lmao, 50yo Spike

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I've rewatched Millenium Actress to see if it's as good as I remebered, haven't seen it in years.

Ya, it's good. poo poo, probably one of the best movies ever made. I only now noticed that one of Chiyoko's early samurai films in the beginning is pretty much one big Throne of Blood reference. Satoshi Kon really did not miss, rip king.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I tried to watch a jojo, but it suffers extremely from pausing to overexplain every single scene like I'm some developementally challenged child. Each episode is like 5 minutes of things happening and 15 minutes of the characters going "Oh no, a thing is happening, we need to stop it, or else it will be bad. We can't allow this, since this is bad and can't happen. But I have a plan, I will do another thing that will counter the bad thing. Oh no, the bad guy predicted I'm foing the thing and he's countering with another bad thing. Luckily I also predicted it and can counter it with third thing. Ok, here i go, I'm doing the thing".
All of this while there's barely anything moving on the screen.

When something did happen, it was pretty cool, but it's just too much for me. I peaced out in the middle of pillar men.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Serf posted:

i do think jojo, like all anime, has those scenes where it pauses to overexplain things, but a lot of those times its in the middle of a fight and the thing that its explaining is some wacky asspull bullshit and i love it. its almost like a parody of the concept when the characters stand around thinking/talking about the scheme they cooked up .5 seconds ago to win, and then we do it again in 2 minutes as the next wild idea unfolds. personally its my second favorite part of the show (behind dio)

I do get this kinda, but I think it just happens at the worst time in Jojo. I would like to actually see the ridiculous asspull poo poo happening on screen, but instead it's a mostly static frame of two guys flexing, and then someone narrates what is actually happening for like 5 minutes. There's just not enough action to keep my interest - I peaced out at the episode when they're fighting Kars in Switzerland, and half of the ep was spent falling off a cliff.
And yea, I watchted DBZ like literally everyone else on this planet.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

also Demonslayer is shonen and that is dope as hell, so it's not an excuse

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

galagazombie posted:

From the premise Chainsaw Man sounds like the 3564855th manga about a quasi secret organization of doofuses who hunt demons/ghosts/Yokai or whatever using the the monsters own powers. But it’s got this kind of I don’t know, cynical?, avant-garde surrealism to it (I’ll add more buzzwords later) that makes it the only shonen fightan’ manga I’ve been into since I was as teenager.

It has a similar vibe to Dorohedoro I feel, kinda like what if Dorohedoro was shonen, if that makes any sense.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

are you all watching Ranking of Kings? It loving slaps

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

skipmyseashells posted:

I don’t watch any pro-monarchy anime, this is the leftist anime thread sorry

it's very good and the kings are mostly stupid dipshit weirdos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Serf posted:

i prefer dubs because i can look at my phone or whatever during some talky bits. i'll watch subs if the show is really good or if its happening right now and i'll need to watch it to understand what the hell my friends are talking about.

subs for movies and live action tho, for sure

the solution is to not watch bad shows