Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read volume 3 of Chainsaw Man. drat. I kinda want to not read any more until it's done so I can read the entire series in one sitting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

net work error posted:

Anime Adam Curtis

Naoki Urasawa?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Voice of Labor posted:

why pingp pong when you can ping pong club?

Why watch Ping Pong Club when you can watch Teekyu?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Island of Giant Insects has both islands and giant insects

It's also terrible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Relin posted:

nope. scryed. which is also leftist, in an anarchic fashion

Manga based on anime are almost always worse than the anime they're based on.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm sure the Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken manga is good. But I can't imagine it's as good as the anime.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

We need a remake of Evangelion that stays true to Anno's character designs

https://twitter.com/annocinema/status/1369483303745622017?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Koos Group posted:

INCOMING MESSAGE FROM FLAVIUS AETASS:

Depending on what they like, Gundam Unicorn, Haikyuu, Laid Back Camp, and My Hero Academia are all good shows that are appropriate for kids and aren't too girly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

the reigen episode in season 2 is so good imo

The scene where Mob tells Reigen he knows what he is is amazing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/moe_kaito/status/1372366994406785029?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

wolfs posted:

i guess i should watch dr stone now

and sssssssss.gridman before the next sssssss. show starts?

SSSS.Gridman is really good.

Stairmaster posted:

its still part of the gundam franchise, regardless!!

Speaking of which, Gundam is finally doing a second live action show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-GP4PDnKH8

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This is supposedly happening

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I really love how blatant the opening of Gundam 00 was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLZYEtq2xUg

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Clip-On Fedora posted:

And then, like all modern Gundam series, season 2 happened.

Build Divers Re:Rise is not only really good, it retroactively makes the previous terrible season a little better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Clip-On Fedora posted:

That sounds promising. I will check it out.

I will say, the first half of Re:Rise is a real slow burn. Especially since the twist is pretty obvious and you see it coming way before it actually happens. But once it does the show gets great, and the slow burn first half is somewhat justified.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Feldegast42 posted:

Toriyama never took dragonball that seriously and that is what makes it all so good. He's the master of throwing in poo poo for the hell of it because its cool so why not. A lot like JoJo, now that I think of it

Trunks and Future Trunks didn't have tails because Toriyama forgot Saiyans had tails

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Cat Returns is pretty cute.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Augus posted:

OKAY TOP 10 DIPSHIT ASSHOLES THAT NEED TO DIE
NUMBERS 1 THROUGH 10: THIS MOTHERFUCKER

lmao you have no idea how despicable One Piece villains can get

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hell yeah

https://twitter.com/SSSS_PROJECT/status/1375985111624118274?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/jan_toorops/status/1375666420772704256?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Marzzle posted:

is that a real anime or just a mockup

oh it has something to do with that panzer girl universe?

In the Girls Und Panzer universe world peace was achieved so they repurposed all the aircraft carriers by building high schools on them because it was discovered that students learn better when their school is on a massive boat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That explanation is only in one of the OVAs. In the series itself the fact that their school is on an aircraft carrier is never addressed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't understand why people tell people not to watch the One Piece anime because it gets bad 900 episodes in.

That seems like an issue you can deal with 900 episodes from now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The original Dragon Ball is a lot of fun, Dragon Ball Z is really good, Dragon Ball Z Kai is an acceptable substitute if you don't have time for DBZ because you're a busy businessman always on the go, and Dragon Ball Super is entertaining.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I rewatched all of DBZ a couple years ago and came to the conclusion that it's better than the manga or Kai. Sure, some of the filler episodes are pretty lovely. But a lot of the additions make the story better. In the manga, Bulma just vanishes halfway through the Namek arc. The show giving her her own little adventures is an improvement. The additional challenges along Snake Way make the story better. There are even a couple little glimpses of normal people reacting to the apocalyptic events of the show and they're great, there's nothing like that in the manga.

People talk about Kai as if it took out all the powering up, but there's still a lot of powering up. Most of the cuts aren't powering up, it's fun stuff like Goku in hell or Piccolo getting a driver's license.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hell yeah

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1378135256054820865?s=20

In honor of this momentous news lets all enjoy what is, bafflingly, the highest quality copy of the Kamen Rider W OP on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nZkQ8OJkM

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah I like MHA Vigilantes a lot more than MHA. It gets into the hero society stuff better, and the story is a lot more character driven. Since the main characters are older they have more reasonable dreams, like "help people" and "be a mildly successful musician" and those desires are what move the plot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bro Dad posted:

a guy in vigilantes gets turned into a praying mantis monster and no longer has hands or the ability to fit inside a normal entryway

the authorities only response is "welp, you can always apply for a housing credit :shrug:"

It's done partly as a joke, but it does bring up the idea that people with quirks that make them look monstrous would face a lot of prejudice.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Just watched Whisper of the Heart. Its a dick move making you wait until the midcredits sequence to find out if Harada ended up with the dumb baseball player

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh poo poo, it's the main girl from How Heavy Are The Dumbbells You Lift? she's good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's that moment in Stone Ocean where they figure out how fast the bad guy is moving and Jotaro is like OK we can still beat him, and one of the others is like, "But he's as fast as a bullet train!" and Jotaro says "Exactly. You can see a bullet train coming"

That part is really cool.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I also like the chapter based on Araki having just read an article about Rods, that made up cyrptid that's just smears on photographs, and somehow making it into an insanely good fight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

And of course, it's Florida, so there's a Stand that just makes you want to take your shirt off and fight

You might think I'm making a joke, but that is the actual stated power of the Stand

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's another Tokusatsu series with an even closer connection to SSSS.Gridman than Ultraman.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, it revised the notion that a "Narrative" has to be coherent.

Gundam Narrative has a really good story. It's just told in a jaw-droppingly incompetent way.

Michele did what it took to survive and keep her friends safe only to end up feeling like she has betrayed both of her adoptive families. So she uses all of the resources she can get to go on this insane quest to end death because she thinks it's the only way she can make it up to them. Only to discover that she didn't have to, they always loved her. That's the story of Gundam Narratibe, and it's really good

But then they decided to edit it with a weedwhacker. And I'm not just talking about how long flashbacks interrupt action scenes seemingly at random. There's also the movie's tendency to flashback and set up an emotional arc literally seconds before it's concluded. You're just watching characters whose relationship you don't understand for 45 minutes until they do a flashback explaining their relationship and then instantly conclude it and kill one of them. It's so loving bad.

If someone just recut the movie so the scenes happened in chronological order it would be massively better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

pillsburysoldier posted:

That last part happens a lot in the dudes stories. In Inuyashiki, the old man and teen are obliterated because of an alien's fender bender so they put their consciousnesses into robot bodies and hightail it out of there before they get in trouble

In Gigant a lady with huge tits grows 500 feet tall to fight monsters naked.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's a great fakeout in Gigant when she's getting dropped in by the army and she's wearing this sci-fi bodysuit and one of the troops says "It's a special fabric created by NASA, super elastic" and she starts growing and the bodysuit stretches with her until she gets to like 40 feet tall and the suit is just destroyed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

apparently in gigant there's a scene where the mc starts bawling in public to shame a girl into going out with him when she tries to let him down easy. it works.

It's not an attempt to shame her, it's his genuine reaction because he absolutely sucks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

net work error posted:

They made a public private partnership between the gadoll and the tankers

No they didn't? They integrated the two societies. The system that controlled them both was destroyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cinnamon toast crunch and cheerios mix actually sounds pretty good.