Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

galagazombie posted:

It's a common recurrence in a lot of speculative fiction where the writers understand Liberalism just isn't going to work and is responsible for the Space, Elf, or Space-Elf Fascists gaining traction, but because we've all been indoctrinated to reject anything left-wing out of hand, all the story can do is shrug its shoulders and embrace this kind of nihilism about what to do about it. Like UC Gundam can never really have a protagonist who's part of a Left-Wing movement that wants to overthrow both the Federation and the current iteration of Neo-Neo-Neo Zeon.

Unicorn came pretty close but yeah not quite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mecha Gojira posted:

It rules that Turn A Gundam exists and undercuts Wing's "and there was never a war fought by a giant robot ever again" ending. Corrin Nander's archetype of the Evil Gundam is the Wing Zero.

Turn A is the ur-Gundam since it ties together all Gundam serieses, so obviously the message of Turn A is the message of the franchise as a whole.

The message is that you should abandon society and go live in the woods with the queen of the moon.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Just watch the og until you get bored of no budget and then watch Turn A which is objectively the correct and best Gundam

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bro Dad posted:

there is only one proper way to watch gundam wing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_-aWNONz84

REZORZEZZ

that boy's so secretive

i wonder what secrets he's keeping

i know his secret

he's going to kill me

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

holy gently caress that writing is so good

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

great now I'm thinking about a live action wing adaptation with vin diesel in it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

why is nobel gundam a sailor moon robot

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Flavius Aetass posted:

I always feel bad for the hapless regular mobile suit pilots trying to fight a gundam. It would be better if the main characters weren't literally invincible from their weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvJ6eFcCJE

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I don't understand, it's not about playing with gundam toys?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Men will literally rule as a telekinetic god before going to therapy.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i heard people were talking about gundam without mentioning that turn a is the best one

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

Watched the first episode of Sasaki and Peeps. It’s really good. If you’re into fantasy-type stuff I’d recommend checking it out and it’s even better if you go into it blind. Worth noting that the first episode is double-length

if you didn't realize this show was pedo bait after that high school girl in the first episode, the female lead reveals she's 16 in episode 2

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Buck Wildman posted:

I'm enjoying the dungeon food show

BREAD

BREAD

BREAD

BREAD

Kit Walker posted:

Hm, yeah, that does suck. The premise is great so it’s a real letdown if that’s the trend the rest of the show takes

why are you talking about this like it's hypothetical lol

Kitfox88 posted:

Apparently the 'reincarnated as a sword' anime cuts a fair chunk of the creepy underage fan service poo poo out so I'm tempted to watch it, can anyone c/d that

January 6 Survivor posted:

There are much better things to watch but there's also much worse. Which means I watched all of it but I'm pretty open about having trash taste anyway.

Can confirm that as far as I recall there wasn't any creepy fanservice of the underage protagonist which already puts it above like 90% of isekai, sadly enough. They need to make one where a true enlightenment era American scientist, writer and patriot gets sent to another world after a misshap during a kite and lightning storm experiment and proceeds to abolish the monarchy and bang all the ara ara milfs in sight.

uh huh

you know, you really dont need to watch this or post that, there's lots of "wow cool robot" anime to watch

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Feb 9, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

if you want to watch a currently airing anime with lots of terrible over-sexualizing fan-service there's even a good option for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRO9Hk5ACs

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

Because I hadn’t watched beyond the first episode at the time. And now that I have I feel like it’s a mischaracterization of the show. Like, yeah, there are underage characters in the show (the neighbor, the coworker, the viscount’s daughter), but none of them are sexualized at all and there is exactly zero romantic subplot going on with any of them. The only characters that show him (mild) affection are the neighbor (because he chats with her sometimes and gives her food) and the coworker (because he looks out for her on the job) and the protagonist intentionally keeps them at a distance because he thinks it would be creepy if they were any closer to him

Maybe I’m missing something but nothing in the show seems to cross the line of platonic. I dunno if the manga goes into gross pervert territory at some point but the show seems fine so far

yup nothing to be suspicious about here all seems very platonic and above board and not telegraphing anything whatsoever

oh what the female lead revealed she's also a 16 year old high school student and asked the 40 year old protagonist out to dinner in the next episode?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

The scene in the screenshots is shot to make her look like a psycho and the protagonist is weirded out. He’s also weirded out when he finds out his coworker is 16. Them going to dinner isn’t depicted as a romantic thing but again him being invited out for food with a coworker as thanks for helping her out in a spot of trouble. Literally the next time he talks to his boss he asks if he can be assigned to work with someone else. I can see how you can read it the way you are but it’s really a stretch

whats the number of underaged girls that would need to be interested in middle aged protagonist-kun before you'd start getting suspicious about authorial intent

Captian Kil posted:

Watched the first 4 or so episodes and they have a total of 5-6 young girls all interested in the main character in one way or another. It is garbage. You have a guy maneuvering an other world fantasy conflict and a underground psychic war. Why is that not interesting enough? Why add this creep poo poo into it?

is 6 too many or

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

The extent of his involvement with the viscount’s daughter is that she tries and enjoys some curry at a restaurant he owns, and also is grateful he helped her dad out

Then there’s the magical girl who kills psychics and spares him because he claims he’s a magical man and she wants to know what’s up with that

There’s also the other psychic lady who isn’t underage and wants to work with him because she knows more of his secrets and thinks it would be fun

Like, this show is on the level of Little Witch Academia in terms of sexualizing any of these characters (which is to say, not at all). I dunno what to say, bud. None of the characters seem romantically interested in him. Even his neighbor being weirdly jealous of his coworker is implied to be an unhealthy attachment because of her own lovely home life

its purely coincidental that 80% of the characters are high school aged girls who want to hang out with the 40 year old protag!!! its not sexualized!!!!!

Ohtori Akio posted:

there are programs which are so important or good that navigating problematic content is worth it. but why do so for seasonal isekai slop

in think in this case its literally "cute birb"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Has anyone actually watched the vending machine isekai yet, I haven't but I'm morbidly curious

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

stealing this to give as a gift, the perfect crime

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

Holy Crap Laios

remember that time we made five spice mermaid steaks and gelatinous cube sashimi

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

is bringing your friend back to life by reconstructing their body with the flesh and blood of a dead monster halal

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the first episode of the omegaverse anime is out

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

huh

wait it's legit i thought you were just razzing about a premise by comparing it but it's actually this stuff what

i had to learn it existed so now all of you have to know about it too

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ohtori Akio posted:

you watched it and touched yourself

telling on yourself

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Straight women must be stopped.

been saying this

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzaiMH1ikI

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

starkebn posted:

yes, the part of localisation I don't want is changing concepts to more "relatable" things from the country you're localising it to. I have no problem with making sentences make sense grammatically.

Different groups of people are talking about different parts of the concept of localisation.

If you change a character's skin tone or sexual orientation because you think it's going to offend someone in the country you're localising for it's changing the original artists intent.

localization is a function of corporate media sales strategy

there's no such thing as original artists intent in this case because there's no such thing as corporate art

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sb hermit posted:

the dungeon meshi anime is the only anime that I've watched strictly in dubbed English for the past gosh knows how long

probably since the last ghibli movie I've seen, which is likely When Marnie was There

https://x.com/ProZD/status/1788648526043545653

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sungwon is such good casting for Senshi I hear the subs in his voice even if I'm on the Japanese audio track

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HELP, My Fujoshi Sister Won't Stop Ruining My Historical Mangas sounds like a 3 episode watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

hey that doesnt sound like a madcap comedy of errors what the hell